• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

New details on Wii U Tablet (Flash Memory! Microphone! Magnetometer!)

Codeblue

Member
May 29, 2009
11,651
0
680
I think the thing I want most out of this is the microphone in the controller coupled with the headphone jack. If they're not going to give us a headset, this will probably be the next best thing. Wii Speak was an absolute pain to get working without terrible echos since my TV doesn't support headphones.
 

Azure J

Member
Jun 12, 2008
36,000
0
0
Brooklyn, NY
twitter.com
_dementia said:
It measures how curly your mustache is.
The Uncanny Marvel VS. Capcom 3 confirmed for WiiU. Has all the old Capcom franchise reps (Ryu & Nina, Megaman X, Wang Tang & Rouge, Linn Kurosawa, every main lead from the Capcom Disney games; Gambit, Rouge, Cable, Venom, Psylocke) because Nintendo heads love dat nostalgia. :p
 

bgassassin

Member
Sep 8, 2006
8,190
0
0
drspeedy said:
I can't see anyone caring about this in a game... seriously, why would you want to look at the ball in a video game? In real golf yes, but here I agree with others, it's just an expensive accident waiting to happen- no way the controls are sensitive enough to tell if you really put that virtual golf club right over the virtual ball and adjust trajectory, spin, etc. in real time... it'll interpolate, apply one of 50 pre-calculated factors to the shot and play the animation; same as Wii Golf right now. It's faux-immersion.

I assume it's gotta be something that marketers hastily made up so they had enough ideas to present for 20 minutes. Sitting around a table with the E3 reveal just days away, the conversation was basically like a bad episode of Full House...

Executive VP, played by Danny Tanner: "Golly darn, you guys, We haven't got any good reasons for this tablet being included yet, and the big show is tomorrow!"

Uncle Joey: "Well, people could use it as a coaster... it could show virtual coffee stains, in 256 different colors!"

Uncle Jesse: "You idiot! It's gonna be $300! We have to pretend it's got some use past just being a 7" DS screen. I say we make it a virtual snare drum for Rock Band: Jesse and the Rippers..."

Olsen Twin: "Why don't you sit it on the fwoor and pwetend it's the golf tee"

Everyone: "Ahh, that's it! This will be the best E3 ever!"

[Group hug, credits roll]
Yeah, I don't see any business logic in this post.

And the way you use "faux-immersion" is asinine because unless it's real the immersion is always simulated. The idea is to increase the immersion as much as possible to better simulate the real thing.
 

Zoramon089

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
12,854
0
0
drspeedy said:
I can't see anyone caring about this in a game... seriously, why would you want to look at the ball in a video game? In real golf yes, but here I agree with others, it's just an expensive accident waiting to happen- no way the controls are sensitive enough to tell if you really put that virtual golf club right over the virtual ball and adjust trajectory, spin, etc. in real time... it'll interpolate, apply one of 50 pre-calculated factors to the shot and play the animation; same as Wii Golf right now. It's faux-immersion.

I assume it's gotta be something that marketers hastily made up so they had enough ideas to present for 20 minutes. Sitting around a table with the E3 reveal just days away, the conversation was basically like a bad episode of Full House...

Executive VP, played by Danny Tanner: "Golly darn, you guys, We haven't got any good reasons for this tablet being included yet, and the big show is tomorrow!"

Uncle Joey: "Well, people could use it as a coaster... it could show virtual coffee stains, in 256 different colors!"

Uncle Jesse: "You idiot! It's gonna be $300! We have to pretend it's got some use past just being a 7" DS screen. I say we make it a virtual snare drum for Rock Band: Jesse and the Rippers..."

Olsen Twin: "Why don't you sit it on the fwoor and pwetend it's the golf tee"

Everyone: "Ahh, that's it! This will be the best E3 ever!"

[Group hug, credits roll]
Translation: I have no imagination! Now everyone, be as miserable as I am!

I'm sure the Wii U video reel having golf had absolutely nothing to do with golf being part of the game package showing off wii controls (Wii Sports), then also being part of the game that showed off motion+ controls (Wii Sports Resort), then also being drawn in the patent as a potential use of the controller. I'm sure it was thrown in at the last minute
 

Clunker

Member
Mar 4, 2011
1,249
0
0
NJ
Zoramon089 said:
Considering clickable sticks were to add buttons without further cluttering old controllers and that the wii u controller has a touch screen and motion controls...no
Instead of clicking down the left stick to run in Modern Warfare 3, you'll be able to pull out the stylus and simply write "run please" on the touchscreen.
 

StevieP

Banned
Sep 10, 2006
12,045
0
0
Clunker said:
Instead of clicking down the left stick to run in Modern Warfare 3, you'll be able to pull out the stylus and simply write "run please" on the touchscreen.
Why they don't use the analog stick in a, you know, analog way in Call of Duty continues to be my biggest "developer stupidity" moment regarding that game (well, using a P2P console-style matchmaking system on MW2 PC was an equally stupid moment). On a keyboard, it makes sense to use a modifier key due to WASD... but with an analog input? So stupid.
 

Zoramon089

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
12,854
0
0
Clunker said:
Instead of clicking down the left stick to run in Modern Warfare 3, you'll be able to pull out the stylus and simply write "run please" on the touchscreen.
Except that wouldn't even require an extra button. Just use the analog stick's...ANALOG functionality like almost every other 3d game ever
 

sfried

Member
Apr 25, 2009
5,896
0
815
Zoramon089 said:
Except that wouldn't even require an extra button. Just use the analog stick's...ANALOG functionality like almost every other 3d game ever
It got me thinking, why don't they use a "SMASH" like analog flick to activate running in FPS? Then simply release the analog from its edge position to stop running.
 

Nix

Banned
Mar 2, 2011
1,872
0
0
sfried said:
It got me thinking, why don't they use a "SMASH" like analog flick to activate running in FPS? Then simply release the analog from its edge position to stop running.
Because no one would want that, and it would be a hassle playing games of different genres. Unless you only play FPS's, then by all means~
 

MooMoo

Member
May 11, 2010
1,643
0
560
Maybe it'll come with magnetic chess pieces? So the tablet could be used as a game board? o_O
 
Jul 7, 2011
1,799
0
0
In teh woods
Sound alright, but I'll wait to see more of the final actual controller. I personally can't get too hyped for "patents", remember how the "Revolution patents" turned out? Anyway, aside from the fact we already knew about most of this stuff it should be a pretty cool controller. I just hope the build is solid and the fundamentals are solid.
 

StevieP

Banned
Sep 10, 2006
12,045
0
0
Unnecessary. The analog stick was made for Mario 64 precisely for the control given to movement. You know, walk slow, medium, fast, run... depending on how far the stick goes. That's what analog movement is made for. Call of Duty completely ignores this on consoles.
 
May 28, 2010
6,902
0
0
Massachusetts
samalbro.com
StevieP said:
Why they don't use the analog stick in a, you know, analog way in Call of Duty continues to be my biggest "developer stupidity" moment regarding that game (well, using a P2P console-style matchmaking system on MW2 PC was an equally stupid moment). On a keyboard, it makes sense to use a modifier key due to WASD... but with an analog input? So stupid.
Move the gadgets and weapon switch to the touch screen. That frees up the D-pad and a face button. Move melee to the free face button and use up on the d-pad to sprint. Alternatively, instead of using two shoulder buttons for grenades, you could put a grenade type switch on the screen and have one of the bumpers free for sprint.
 

drspeedy

Member
Mar 7, 2011
3,823
2
0
Zoramon089 said:
Translation: I have no imagination! Now everyone, be as miserable as I am!

I'm sure the Wii U video reel having golf had absolutely nothing to do with golf being part of the game package showing off wii controls (Wii Sports), then also being part of the game that showed off motion+ controls (Wii Sports Resort), then also being drawn in the patent as a potential use of the controller. I'm sure it was thrown in at the last minute
Holy run on sentence, Batman...

I
think I
get your point (that this must have been planned for a while), but that doesn't mean the idea doesn't suck. What I and many here are saying is that there are more imaginative ways to use the screen, and Nintendo could illustrate the value in the concept much better than "put it on the floor, it's a golf ball!".

MY honest belief is that golf is just a generic idea, one that doesn't reveal too much of what Ninty is planning to showcase with the tablet in release games. It's deliberately unimaginative, amigo.

bgassassin said:
And the way you use "faux-immersion" is asinine because unless it's real the immersion is always simulated. The idea is to increase the immersion as much as possible to better simulate the real thing.
I agree somewhat- the more variables you add to a game the better chance it has to simulate the real thing. But other than having to look down there's not much better about it than Wii golf now, and I still find it hard to believe that it's going to be sensitive enough to make any honest difference in the way the game plays. Holding a plastic guitar is far better immersion, looking at a fake ball on a screen... I don't know.

If Wii U manages to bring a killer first party game or two right away, Nintendo will look like geniuses.
 

Clunker

Member
Mar 4, 2011
1,249
0
0
NJ
Zoramon089 said:
Except that wouldn't even require an extra button. Just use the analog stick's...ANALOG functionality like almost every other 3d game ever
He was talking about clicking down the analog stick, which the slide pads can't do. L3 is bound to the short-term dash in the recent Call of Duty games. I'm sorry if I forgot to write "sprint" instead of "run" and thus ruined the impact of my snarky joke. :(
 

VGChampion

Member
May 5, 2007
10,997
0
910
Winter Park
I'd rather each controller be less technologically impressive to keep the demand on the system itself down so we can have more than one controller.
 

WillyFive

Member
Sep 17, 2009
28,623
0
0
The dynamic of the console (tablet for single-player, Wiimotes for multiplayer) would certainly be a little hard to comprehend for most people, but I'd like to see how it ends up.