• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on Wii U Tablet (Flash Memory! Microphone! Magnetometer!)

extralite

McNum said:
Magnetometer? What are they going to do with that? It means it can be used a compass, right?

Interesting with the built in battery, too.
At E3 they showed demonstrations where the tablet was a second window into the game world which could be directed to the sides of the TV screen. Compass functionality would be the most precise way to measure the perspective relative to the one aimed at the TV.

extralite said:
At E3 they showed demonstrations where the tablet was a second window into the game world which could be directed to the sides of the TV screen. Compass functionality would be the most precise way to measure the perspective relative to the one aimed at the TV.
only if the Sensor bar has a built in magnet-sensor as well.

---
and about Wii U sensor bar, I believe it on the face of the controller, so it can't use it to calibrate.

extralite

walking fiend said:
well, Wii U tablet has an IR as well, so it may use that?
You only have to calibrate once, it then can store the info what direction the TV was in and the compass can sense direction regardless of the sensor bar.

and about Wii U sensor bar, I believe it on the face of the controller, so it can't use it to calibrate.
You mean the tablet sensor bar, the Wii U has one on the TV same as the old Wii. And the sensor bar doesn't really sense anything, it sends infrared waves to be sensed by the camera inside the remote.

You could calibrate manually, asking the player to aim at the screen or the find some other way.

onQ123

These features were revealed according to a patent filed a week ago. The Tablet controller features a magnetometer, an IR port, a speaker, a microphone and built in flash memory. You can check out the pictures below.

WiiU1.png

WiiU2.png

eT9KR.jpg

XnRfo.jpg

http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-tabled-to-feature-flash-memory-microphone-and-magnetometer

Medalion

Banned
Older than the Wii's technology

I mean, thank you, but there is another thread dedicated to this already as posted above

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The microphone was stealth confirmed. I mean how else were people doing video chats on the controller. The Flash Memory was not too far off, as one of the Nintendo reps mentioned Nintendo wanted people to bring their controllers with data to other Wii Us.

Any patents on Nintendo achievements? No? Not yet? Oh ;(

I like it, now make it compatible with four Wii U controllers.

NinjaTehFish said:
Oh my god!

It all makes sense now.
After market saturation with Wii U occurs Iwata will receive the call from Yamauchi to press the big red button on his desk thus activating the magnetometers in the millions of households with the tablet controller thus taking hold of the earths gravitational field he will hold the world to ransom.
Busted!

there's been something bothering me. in one of the videos, controller is seen being used as a tablet on a table to play Go, but isn't one side of the bottom higher than the other? is there some thing to pull out of the controller to make it even?

XnRfo.jpg

This is one of those "It could potentially do this!" ideas that I would be shocked, shocked if Nintendo ever actually allowed it in a production game. They needed to ship out multiple improved wrist straps and condoms because people couldn't be bothered to hold onto their remotes properly, and this idea suggests "set the expensive, hard to replace controller on the ground, where you could be distracted and step on it, probably breaking it, possibly hurting your foot or ankle, perhaps even slipping toward further injury. Please don't sue us."

It's an interesting idea conceptually, but really doesn't work in a "Wii made me break muh teevee!" world.

The other stuff was known. Anyway the text has some new info at least to me, i didn't know that it will use an external power supply. Also in what page can i find the description for 55a and 55b?

Kulock said:
XnRfo.jpg

This is one of those "It could potentially do this!" ideas that I would be shocked, shocked if Nintendo ever actually allowed it in a production game. They needed to ship out multiple improved wrist straps and condoms because people couldn't be bothered to hold onto their remotes properly, and this idea suggests "set the expensive, hard to replace controller on the ground, where you could be distracted and step on it, probably breaking it, possibly hurting your foot or ankle, perhaps even slipping toward further injury. Please don't sue us."

It's an interesting idea conceptually, but really doesn't work in a "Wii made me break muh teevee!" world.
did you watch the concept reel?

Somnid

Kulock said:

I pretty sure that's most of the point of the Wii U controller having an IR bar.

Somnid said:
I pretty sure that's most of the point of the Wii U controller having an IR bar.

I don't. I think that's for when you play games, especially legacy Wii titles, using the "away from the TV screen" feature.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn... whatever. I'm out, I'm halting purchasing new consoles for another five years.

15 year life span, YEEAH!

walking fiend said:
the question is why they need a compass in the first place...

im assuming it will work with the gyrosensor and accelerometer for anything motion-based

besides that, they are pretty standard now.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
AwRy108 said:
Hopefully they use the magnetometer to attract 3rd parties.

See what I did there?

They will need a lot of magnetometers for that.

If Nintendo manages to create some original and innovative content, I'll be there day 1.

NinjaTehFish said:
Oh my god!

It all makes sense now.
After market saturation with Wii U occurs Iwata will receive the call from Yamauchi to press the big red button on his desk thus activating the magnetometers in the millions of households with the tablet controller thus taking hold of the earths gravitational field he will hold the world to ransom.

0301_zy1z.gif

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
This thing is a Frankenstein. It boggles the mind that the lesson Nintendo took from the Wii's success was that they must do the exact opposite and make the most unwieldy controller possible.

DaddyO

Neo Member
Waiting for announcement of glasses-free 3d on the Wii U controller.

Have they specifically denied this?

DjangoReinhardt said:
This thing is a Frankenstein. It boggles the mind that the lesson Nintendo took from the Wii's success was that they must do the exact opposite and make the most unwieldy controller possible.

These are internal components that have mass measured in grams. The hands on from E3 confirmed that it is very light, and was not awkward to hold or use. There is a difference between being feature dense and being "unwieldy".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Kulock said:

How is this any different from the current golf games available on Wii? Like the one in Wii Sports? Unless you're one of those gamers who play sitting down :p.

AwRy108

NinjaTehFish said:
Oh my god!

It all makes sense now.

drevillaser.jpg

There's a part that talks about the screen may or may not be multi touch.

Other interesting part, the control can communicate via wire with the console.

BurntPork

Banned
Kulock said:

Uh, how is it more likely to break the TV than any golf game on the Wii?

JoeTheBlow said:
Tell that to grandma.
nintendo-wii-grandma.jpg
Grandma's going to care about the internal components?

Refreshment.01 said:
There's a part that talks about the screen may or may not be multi touch.
Who cares?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Easy_D said:
How is this any different from the current golf games available on Wii?
I think the fact it's not going to be that different in practice is part of the problem for the concept. Is it worth the trouble of placing something breakable, with a screen, near your feet? Especially if there are kids around, like in many households? I don't even know if it would work all that well. The Wii cursor seems to take a noticable fraction of a second to adjust to where you're pointing after being off screen (ok, more like off sensor bar, and I'm not saying it's a huge flaw as in most games you never need to go that far, but in this concept you obviously will have to), so I don't see it adding any accuracy to your shot tracking as you quickly swing over the Wii U controller's sensor bar. To me it seems that all it would do is add some inaccurate visual feedback, ie, give you a ball to look at before you take your swing. I guess maybe it's also used to calibrate the Motion Plus before each shot, having you click on the ball on the controller before swinging, like you click on the TV before playing table tennis or whatever else in Wii Sports Resort, but you can calibrate without it too. Maybe a sim could have it as an option but I don't see most people being eager to use this setup, just like people like me aren't eager to haul the new controller around to aim in an FPS (as cool as it might be for a slower paced game's investigation scene or something like that) and would have preferred a Wiimote 2.0 setup for Wii U.

Top Bottom