• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Human Revolution info -- new trailer, multiple hands-on impressions

IoCaster

charlequin said:
But it comes off as more "disingenuous" to cherry-pick your evidence and ignore the bits that actively suggest this game isn't being ignorantly streamlined for a console audience, especially when you lead off with something aggressive like "*puke*" as your commentary. That's why you got jumped on. Something like "I dunno, I'm not really feeling this yet. Even with the things they're saying I'm skeptical and I want to hold off until we see how the PC version turns out" would probably have been received much better.

I'm not cherry picking anything. I merely noted that I'm not encouraged when I see evidence that leads me to believe that the development is console focused. Period. No accusation or anything. You're perhaps reading too much into it.

My initial comment was a response to a post about what seemed to be a lack of enthusiasm or excitement for the game. Or at least any of the threads that have been posted. There was nothing nefarious, nor was there a hidden agenda. A simple train of thought that ended with a disgusted note about an existing trend of "consolization" in high profile games released on the PC. It might have been inelegantly worded, but not to the extent that I should be accused of being disingenuous about my intent.

In any case, I've edited my original post to be less offensive, thanks.

Sciz

I would expect that it's simply easier to lug around a bunch of 360s and DVDs than it is to set up an array of PCs for an event like this.

IoCaster said:
My initial comment was a response to a post about what seemed to be a lack of enthusiasm or excitement for the game. Or at least any of the threads that have been posted. There was nothing nefarious, nor was there a hidden agenda.

Yeah, to clarify, I didn't think you had one, just that you came off as ignoring stuff and that's why your post got jumped on when I don't think you meant for that. I don't think it's a bad idea to be wary at all, and it's certainly not a bad idea to wait on impressions and details specific to the PC version. Sorry if I didn't express that well.

Sciz said:
I would expect that it's simply easier to lug around a bunch of 360s and DVDs than it is to set up an array of PCs for an event like this.

Also, to some degree, if the PC version really is much better-looking than the console versions will be, showing off the console versions is a better way to manage expectations instead of giving people PC shots that get decried as "deceptive" or "bullshots."

zlatko

Banned
So many good games this year, and this is easily one of the most anticipated on my list.

They haven't shown a thing for this game yet that didn't make me giddy like a school girl.

Two things that this is getting me hyped for - that Eidos Montreal can erase IW from my memory and really deliver a great Deus Ex game... but more importantly for me

Thief 4.

If Eidos Montreal can really nail Deus Ex, then I have hope that Garret is in good hands.

ArjanN

gollumsluvslave said:
Two things that this is getting me hyped for - that Eidos Montreal can erase IW from my memory and really deliver a great Deus Ex game... but more importantly for me

Thief 4.

If Eidos Montreal can really nail Deus Ex, then I have hope that Garret is in good hands.

I think the Thief formula is probably easier to get right than Deus Ex.

gollumsluvslave said:

Thief 4.

If Deus Ex is as good as it looks to be, my hype for Thief 4 is going to reach dangerous levels

So I thought what made the original Deus Ex special was the extreme (for its time) open endedness of the game, with thousands of variables tracked based on the players action. Now I'm reading this is a mostly linear shooter where your choices don't have much impact past the next couple immediate missions in sequence, you're forced to kill bosses, can't revisit areas at your leisure, etc?

Just wondering what they're hoping to recapture by remaking the franchise.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Would it kill them to release or have one site post an uncompressed PC-tier screenshot?
I hardly ever complain about this, but like...are those pictures 720p shots, upscaled to random resolutions, and then uploaded to tinypic so it recompresses them? o_O

So was anyone else hyped by this?
The levels are littered with datapads (useful information), pocket secretaries (vital information like keypad codes), and e-zines (nicely designed news journals with lots of info on current affairs and local colour). There’s masses to read in this game.

I mean this for me shows that the people making the game on some level know what made Deus Ex great.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:

I mean this for me shows that the people making the game on some level know what made Deus Ex great.

f yeah

it's just too good to be true. :cry

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:

Sure.

I've been replaying the shit out of Deus Ex lately, and it's a fucking amazing game, so I'm starting to get pretty hyped for this. I would do filthy things for a new, shiny Deus Ex that's built on the same design philosophy as the original Deus Ex. I'm sure as hell not gonna expect it to live up to the first game, but I'll be happy if it just comes close.

By the way, where do I go to find some solid gameplay footage of this? I searched the youtubes and it was mostly heavily edited trailers or CGI footage. I don't care about any of this shit, I want to see how it plays.

I'm so hyped but I feel I should hold it back a little bit. I don't want to get burnt again. My heart still aches from Invisible War haha.

But I swear if this is even close to as good as we're hyping. Then Thief 4...oh man the wait will be tough.

Gribbix

mjemirzian said:
So I thought what made the original Deus Ex special was the extreme (for its time) open endedness of the game, with thousands of variables tracked based on the players action. Now I'm reading this is a mostly linear shooter where your choices don't have much impact past the next couple immediate missions in sequence, you're forced to kill bosses, can't revisit areas at your leisure, etc?

Just wondering what they're hoping to recapture by remaking the franchise.
You're completely misrepresenting the director's response in regards to linearity.
With the aircraft, will you be able to go back to explore different parts?

The game structure is quite linear in the sense that the story tells you that you’re in Detroit, and now you’re in China or you’re wherever you are. As long as you’re where you are, you can explore and do a lot of things, but it’s not like a central hub where I decide “Oh, now I go to Detroit.” It’s linear, it’s told in a linear fashion.
When he said it was linear, he was referring to the level progression. It's no different than DX1 in that regard. Most of your other criticisms also apply to DX1. You couldn't go back and visit previous areas unless the story took you there. You were also forced to kill 'boss' characters (although you could control when you killed them to a certain degree).

lawrence7 said:
35alnj4.jpg
What's Madison doing in here?

t81t5.jpg

Gribbix said:
You're completely misrepresenting the director's response in regards to linearity.

When he said it was linear, he was referring to the level progression. It's no different than DX1 in that regard. Most of your other criticisms also apply to DX1. You couldn't go back and visit previous areas unless the story took you there. You were also forced to kill 'boss' characters (although you could control when you killed them to a certain degree).
If 'most' of those could be applied to the original as well as the sequel, I don't see how it's particularly wrong to say the sequel is a linear run n gun FPS. Yeah it has stealth elements but aren't you able to ignore them to a degree?

Anyway, that's all I'm curious about.

mjemirzian said:
If 'most' of those could be applied to the original as well as the sequel, I don't see how it's particularly wrong to say the sequel is a linear run n gun FPS. Yeah it has stealth elements but aren't you able to ignore them to a degree?

Anyway, that's all I'm curious about.

Then you simply do not remember the original DX. As Gribbix pointed out: there was no open-end world, you progressed from one area to another, although you had a chance to finish each mission in a different way. Exactly the same thing will happen in DX3.

Top Bottom