• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Diddy Kong Pilot Footage Appears

Shiggy

elektrixx said:
I sure hope Rare are working on Banjo-Threeie for a new console.

Nuts & Bolts just made me mad.

Hint: They aren't, and Scott won't let them return to their old franchises.

Shiggy said:
Donkey Kong Racing will never leak because it didn't really exist. Sabreman Stampede on the other hand...

kremlinglies.png

http://www.rarewarecentral.com/diddy-kong-pilot

Maybe the Kremlings should have a spin-off, I mean, weren't they originally an entirely seperate IP altogether before being made the main foes in DKC?

Shiggy said:
Hint: They aren't, and Scott won't let them return to their old franchises.

How realistic is the idea of them selling the IPs? How much would Banjo even be worth? Even if say Activision (as an example) picked him up and had Eurocom take him under their wing, wouldn't that be a far better situation and more profitable for MS than having Banjo ramain in a vault for an eternity?

Of course Nintendo and EAD Tokyo would be the #1 pick, but I'm good with decent alternatives.

elektrixx said:

why would anyone want an new game from an old franchise, from RARE? does even one person from the N64 times work there anymore? give the license to a good developer.

apana

elektrixx said:

Nuts & Bolts just made me mad.

Microsoft needs to sell it to someone who actually cares about making a good Banjo Kazooie game. Anyways I really think it would be a good idea for Nintendo to get some outside team working on a Diddy Kong Racing for 3DS.

Ezduo

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this. The flying races weren't really my cup of tea (though at least they were better than the damn hovercar ones) but maybe if they had focused on the flying exclusively it would've turned out better.

Sydle

Diprosalic said:
why would anyone want an new game from an old franchise, from RARE? does even one person from the N64 times work there anymore? give the license to a good developer.

Gregg Mayles, who created both the DKC series and the Banjo series, also lead development on Nuts & Bolts, is still there. Quite a few of the creative directors that lead development on their biggest franchises were there until very recently.

I think it's much more a matter of Rare's creative leadership falling out of touch with gamers than new talent at Rare not "getting it".

I think they still have the right talent to make a good Banjo that could be a million seller, they just need someone to provide guide rails and edit their ideas. I maintain that Showdown Town was fantastic in so many ways..I really wish they would have just let it keep opening up instead of using the game globes.

I love seeing stuff like this. Great thread. I look forward to re-reading it tomorrow on Kotaku.

Rare's voxel Diddy Kong Pilot looked incredible for a GBA title. It's a shame they had to scrap it.

watkinzez

Oh man, half of the voices sound like they're from the DKC TV show. The other half are Chris Seavor recycling his Conker characters.

Nessus

Wow.

A Rare game that not only pushes the graphical limits of the hardware (probably the best looking GBA game I've seen) but also runs at what appears to be 60fps!

Is this just because it was on dev hardware?

Shiggy said:
It's great to have Cranky in here. Apart from that I'm not too happy with how it plays...should try it out on NDS If I ever get one of those magic R4 cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npfoadx8aCk

Why'd you put it as Klump vs Diddy when it was Kritter/Krunch?

And fuck, what's up with Krunch's voice? That sounded like what that hilbilly Kong should sound (I thought it was him the whole time earlier), that's not the voice from DKR... :/

Fuck, just lke in DKRDS, Rare dropped the ball in voices, Nintendo actually nailed the voices in the current games; Diddy sounds spot on to the N64 style, and DK sounds just fine (I like the Scooby-style, sue me XD), he's okay in DKP as well, might even be Grant doing the voice again.

I bet Nintendo would get a great voice for Krunch, hell if they had Banjo, they could get Pianta's voice actor to do him. Plus IMO, Hammer Head Bro sounds very oddly like Timber from DKR64.

Jazzem

I remember being really excited for Rare's GBA games, funny how those turned out. Donkey Kong's Coconut Crackers became Mr Pants and lost the isometric view, Diddy Kong Pilot became Banjo Pilot, Sabre Wulf actually turned out pretty decent (though not without its flaws) and Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge was fun but a bit underwhelming, especially given how promising the screenshots looked (magazines were hyping it as an N64 game on a handheld, ha).

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nessus said:
Wow.

A Rare game that not only pushes the graphical limits of the hardware (probably the best looking GBA game I've seen)
take off the rare-tinted glasses.

Willy105 said:
No, Rare is a wizard with hardware, and always has been.
However, this is not the best looking GBA game by far.

You want to talk technical competence? It was matched by Super Circuit. It's easily beaten by full 3D engines like the one in Asterix and Obelix XXL and Payback and Driv3r and several other games.

But technical competence isn't everything. You end up with lots of pop in, distortion and extremely low res textures. The moment you step into Mode 7 territory, your game can no longer really be called "beautiful" or "good looking" by any stretch of the imagination. You've abandoned that for technical competence. As a result any number of 2D GBA games could be said to look far better than this one.

Willy105 said:
Giant pixels all over the track, shitty-looking hardware rotation and scaling?

DKP's trees look terrible from far away and even worse up close.

It's like how we abandoned beauty in the PS1 era for giant blocky textures and low res models. Oh sure, you can call some early 3D games beautiful in comparison to others, but there's still nothing aesthetically good about them. You don't do it for the look, you do it for the 3D world that's impossible with 2D graphics.

thomaser

I remember playing DKP way back in 2001, at the Nintendo Show they held in London that year to show off the GC and GBA. Don't remember much about it, but I'm pretty sure the demo had the tilt pack, so it was the first time I tried a game with motion controls.

Celine

UncleSporky said:
However, this is not the best looking GBA game by far.

You want to talk technical competence? It was matched by Super Circuit. It's easily beaten by full 3D engines like the one in Asterix and Obelix XXL and Payback and Driv3r and several other games.
Not that I disagree with you but the voxel version is up there IMO.

I found interesting the developer that recalled how they considered to use Shin'en approach ( FMV background).
It could have been something similar to Toy Story Racer for GBC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEQmpuhgiw

Yeah I saw the voxel version too and I'm still not convinced it's much better looking than other GBA 3D. But that's going to be "to each his own" until we actually see gameplay and not just the physical track.

I also think an FMV track would be interesting, that's probably the highest quality 3D graphics you could get out of the GBA, even though it's cheating a bit. But then, Mode 7 and raycasting are also cheats, so whatever. :)

Shiggy

thomaser said:
I remember playing DKP way back in 2001, at the Nintendo Show they held in London that year to show off the GC and GBA. Don't remember much about it, but I'm pretty sure the demo had the tilt pack, so it was the first time I tried a game with motion controls.

That must have been this version though, which is completely different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEE1si5bxEM

Celine

UncleSporky said:
I also think an FMV track would be interesting, that's probably the highest quality 3D graphics you could get out of the GBA, even though it's cheating a bit. But then, Mode 7 and raycasting are also cheats, so whatever. :)
Not feasible for gameplay reason.
Being on rail path would have hurt the gameplay really badly.

Could work for shmups because the background don't impact the action while the rest are pre-rendered 2D sprites.

Shiggy said:

975u1j.png

Your image is one pixel off and is in a slightly lower-quality jpeg, I fixed that. ;)

Plus, shall I bring back an oldie that I found years ago (at least back in 2007)?

2qi3edx.png

Found it via Wayback Machine from Rare's site. :)

Edit: Fixed something with the render.

Now introducing the entire cast of Mario Kart 64... Minus Luigi. This feels awkward, even though I think most if not the entire DKC cast have been playable at one point or another in all those Mario spinoff games. Wario's Wright Brother's Plane is hilarious though, and that's a pretty neat reference to the fact Funky inexplicably had a flying surfboard in DKC2.

As bad as the GBA team always seemed to be at making good CGI models, those hand drawn cutscenes of K. Rool are pretty nice looking. Overall game may of looked better with that style considering the GBA didn't really suit pre-rendered graphics the same way the SNES did.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, considering how odd Peach's face looks in that, they should've gone classic Donkey Kong and put Pauline in.

mdtauk

Astrosanity said:
Now introducing the entire cast of Mario Kart 64... Minus Luigi. This feels awkward, even though I think most if not the entire DKC cast have been playable at one point or another in all those Mario spinoff games. Wario's Wright Brother's Plane is hilarious though, and that's a pretty neat reference to the fact Funky inexplicably had a flying surfboard in DKC2.

As bad as the GBA team always seemed to be at making good CGI models, those hand drawn cutscenes of K. Rool are pretty nice looking. Overall game may of looked better with that style considering the GBA didn't really suit pre-rendered graphics the same way the SNES did.

WTF?! I don't remember ever seeing this! How bizzare!

Shiggy

Astrosanity said:

Where did that video just come from after 11 years?

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
Where did that video just come from after 11 years?
Maybe Tim and Chris finally came out of hiding? There can't have been many Rare(minded) people attending SpaceWorld and as far as I know that's the only footage of that beta out there. I don't think it was even on the showfloor probably some 'behind closed doors' thing...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hero of Legend said:
How much would Banjo even be worth? Even if say Activision (as an example) picked him up and had Eurocom take him under their wing, wouldn't that be a far better situation and more profitable for MS than having Banjo ramain in a vault for an eternity?

No, nobody cares about that franchise anymore. Come on.

Top Bottom