• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Diddy Kong Pilot Footage Appears

Shiggy

As Rare Ltd. has become a fully integrated MGS studio last year, they don't seem to care about their history anymore. Some think this is bad, but when it comes to leaking stuff, this is great. Our old friend transparentjinjo (famous for his Sabreman Stampede, Banjo Pilot Voxel, and Grunty's Revenge beta videos) has decided to put up videos of Diddy Kong Pilot.

The first one ist from a late 2001 build, the second one from an early 2003 build which was later transformed into Banjo Pilot. It looks like they build two entirely different games - the 2001 version looks way more ambitious and unfinished though.

titlejkpp.jpg

Single player modes in the 2001 version:
- Racing
- Dog Fights
- Stories
- Battles
- Clock Race

In addition, it should've had the opportunity to play with the D-Pad and a tilt sensor; the latter method was never properly implemented (did not really work).

Characters:
charactersmkr1.jpg
characters2a8t9.jpg
charactersspaceworlda8qc.jpg

Crappy Kong only appears when the cursor is on him, otherwise he disappears. A few weeks later he was removed entirely. On the right you can see the character screen from Spaceworld 2001.

Games Worlds
worldsqk1g.jpg

Levels:
world11jd0.jpg
world2dj67.jpg
world3v895.jpg

world40km5.jpg
world5rjyr.jpg

Dogfight levels:
dogfightmenuc85t.jpg

Stories:
storiesqj38.jpg

Some random levels/ objectives from the video:

anotherlevelfjtf.jpg
bountybeach0kzt.jpg
lava88ji.jpg
finishokt6.jpg

Chicken Chase:
chickenchaseojcf.jpg
chickenchase2yktn.jpg

dogfights8oc.jpg
ghostckgy.jpg

Video: Diddy Kong Pilot Pre-Alpha (2001-09-07 Build)

Comments by Jens (former team member); time relates to the Youtube video above:
11:06 or wait, did you need to collect the worms to feed an eagle? So long ago. The ghosts in the trees and on the ground were placeholders, so we could implement and test the mode without waiting for the graphics.

11:06 and I think this was a going to be a variation on the egg collecting MP game from Diddy Kong Racing.

9:57 on this stage you were supposed to collect the small ghosts and bring them to the pond while avoiding the big ghost.

2:50 whoa, bug in the camera spline code. The hut was supposed to be some kind of turret shooting at you.

2:02 debug menu. The first entry is the level select. I have no idea if the "blend" entry was hooked up to anything at that point, but it was probably to debug the distance fog used to hide flickering on the floor.

1:08 yes, it takes ~15 seconds for a round, less on some tracks. We were always told that this is exactly what they want. But one of the first things they asked me once the designer was changed was to change the software to allow bigger tracks.

1:04 the pylons were there to keep you on the track. You could miss three of them before you were disqualified. We were asked to take them out and add the invisible walls.

0:44 the small stars at the bottom are a simple profiler. I think the first bit was the code that drew the perspective floor, then the code that selects the correct sprite frame for each plane depending on viewing angle. The last bit was the music and sound effects, which were the most expensive thing in later versions. The green dots show the end of vblank and the visible frame.

0:30 I always called him Crappy Kong. I don't think he ever had an official name, and I think he was taken out a few weeks after this version.

Official description by Rare:
All sorts of play options are yours for the tinkering, including single-player and multiplayer tournaments, a classic time trial and detailed story modes for each character (ending in climactic one-on-one boss duels). You can even link up with three of your mates, competing for the title of squadron leader or simply blast each other out of the sky in frantic dogfights.

Other features of the game include interactive background scenery, rolling and looping manouevres, upgradable weapons and power-ups, secret features to unlock and of course the rarely-seen Tilt Technology, where, if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can set aside your D-Pad in favour of controlling the plane by actually tilting the Game Boy Advance.

title7l4d.jpg

It's kind of weird that the latest Diddy Kong Pilot build dates back to early 2003 as Rare was officially sold in September 2002. This version was originally shelved, a different team then started Banjo-Pilot with a Voxel engine, which was too expensive. Thus it was decided that the team should just reskin the DKP 2003 build.

The tilt pack idea was dropped, and…they showed the game to Nintendo who didn’t want it; reasons given included “there is no point in flying up and down on flat levels”. Some employees thought Nintendo was just being prejudiced against the company, as it was around the time of the Microsoft buyout.”
http://www.dkvine.com/?p=1082

The game was later picked up by another team, who experimented with a voxel engine (and found out the hard way why we didn't use one) and then re-skinned the original version with a Banjo theme.
The voxel engine looked great but was just too expensive.

Ah, this brings back memories...and not good ones!
After we were ordered to shelve the voxel version of Banjo Pilot, team morale was pretty low. Then we were given a build of DKP similar to this one and told to replace the graphics & frontend.
It took almost a month to even get the project building & running again (with much help from the original programmer), and bugfixing was a real challenge. The game still went out onto the shelves with loads of multiplayer bugs.

Single player modes:
gamemodespk0h.jpg

- Cups
- Time Trials
- Cranky Challenges (collect 6 coins and win against Cranky)

Characters:

chara1u88y.jpg
chara2rjus.jpg

chara3zkhf.jpg
chara4ikzu.jpg

Cups:
- Klap Trap Kup
- Kritter Kup
- Klump Kup
- K. Rool Kup

Races:
Steamy Swoop vs. Spiral Mountain
level1-1b7kme.jpg
level1-1k8en.jpg

level1-2byjrn.jpg
level1-2ujy7.jpg

Plain Pursuit vs. Jinxy's Dunes
level2-1bck7r.jpg
level2-16kkv.jpg

level2-2bakpa.jpg
level2-2xknk.jpg

Chilly Length vs. Freezeezy Peak
level3-1bejy4.jpg
level3-1wk03.jpg

level3-2bu8tr.jpg
level3-2d8qa.jpg

Magma Spurt vs. Hailfire Peaks
level4-1bsbry.jpg
level4-189q5.jpg

level4-2bu9gy.jpg
level4-2c97r.jpg

Cranky Kong vs. Bottles
cranky986j.jpg
level4-3kyi4.jpg

Boss Bop vs. Kazooie Klash
level5-1bklog.jpg
level5-1sbhf.jpg

level5-2bty6e.jpg
level5-2il14.jpg

Other levels:
17xfq.jpg
2mb6v.jpg
11gy6j.jpg

3qaxf.jpg
4ha03.jpg
5vz5b.jpg

68xuy.jpg
7h9qo.jpg
8xl9a.jpg

9z9tc.jpg
10p92h.jpg

Random Screens:
kongratulations2j5k.jpg
timetxk2.jpg
win8ysk.jpg
nintendohyq3.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg7SYh1lWqQ&feature=feedu

MNC

Looks very neat. I love seeing the process games go through in the alpha and beta stages.

Peru

who didn’t want it; reasons given included “there is no point in flying up and down on flat levels”.

a fair point.

Still, it's neat to see these kinds of things and hear about the processes behind the scenes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
DKR is the greatest "kart" racing game out there. I'm still pissed that we never got a worthwhile sequel - and the DS port was lame as heck.

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Funny, I think that the 2001 build actually looks more fun than the 2003 build/final version of Banjo Pilot.

Me too, don't know why. Maybe it's just the track design/colours. The old logo also looks much better ;)

[Nintex]

Cool stuff and that voxel engine they used to mess around with still looks mighty impressive for a GBA game.

KevinCow

Banned
Interesting that they apparently weren't planning on including any of the original characters from DKR, instead making it more Kong focused.

Shiggy said:
Me too, don't know why. Maybe it's just the track design/colours. The old logo also looks much better ;)

It actually takes advantage of the aspect of flying in (quasi) 3D space much moreso than the later build/final game. The boost ring/pad placement, the item/banana placement, the track design, the Wave Race style buoys, the camera being further panned backwards (which gives you more room to manoeuvre) all serve to take advantage of the flying aspect in a way that the final game does not.

It's funny, because that complaint about the flying being "pointless" is much more applicable to the final game!

JazzmanZ

Interesting how there's a lot of Diddy kong racing mechanics used in this game, as if a spiritual sequel, they even originally went on to using Krunch as a playable character! I wouldn't have been surprised if Wizpig was planned as a secret final boss in the game.

big_z

Foliorum Viridum said:
The best thing about DKR was the changing between vehicles. A game where you're just in a plane doesn't appeal to me.

same with me. imo the planes were the worst part of DKR.

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
It actually takes advantage of the aspect of flying in (quasi) 3D space much moreso than the later build/final game. The boost ring/pad placement, the item/banana placement, the track design, the Wave Race style buoys, the camera being further panned backwards (which gives you more room to manoeuvre) all serve to take advantage of the flying aspect in a way that the final game does not.

It's funny, because that complaint about the flying being "pointless" is much more applicable to the final game!

Pretty true. I still don't really understand why they did this game twice with the 2003 build being entirely different.

Wasn't Banjo Pilot an absolute piece of shit when it eventually came out? I remember seeing some scathing reviews at the time.

Berordn

Green Scar said:
Wasn't Banjo Pilot an absolute piece of shit when it eventually came out? I remember seeing some scathing reviews at the time.
It wasn't good, especially when we had Super Circuit on the same system.

edit: And it looks like it was never that great an idea, even though the 2001 beta looks better than the final game.

wrowa

Green Scar said:
It was. And the beta footage doesn't look any good or promising either. It was a game that failed to be interesting from the start.

I also agree with Nintendo's point of view here. The whole premise of the game seems like a pointless gimmick.

Fularu

Banned
Both betas show a bland, uninspired and uninteresting game. Interesting for history purposes I guess but I doubt the gaming world lost much.

Green Scar said:
It was, but in defense of the game's development at one point it had some pretty amazing-for-the-GBA looking 3D tracks which probably would of made the game a far more memorable experience for the hand-held instead of the weird, neutered version of Diddy Kong Racing/Mario Kart it wound up being. Also while getting rid of Candy Kong and 'Crappy' Kong made sense, why'd they get rid of that Red Baron version of K. Rool and just replace him with his generic 'King' look? :/

Against the defense of the game you flat out have ex-Rare employees saying the game is sort of shit in those youtube comments. :p

I love the original DKC trilogy but considering DK64 and the spinoffs like this I'm sort of glad Rare lost the rights to the DK franchise. Jungle Beat gets mixed feelings from me as a DK fan (though as a platformer fan I absolutely love it), but the series eventually went full circle and we got DKCR, so as nostalgic as I am for Rare's take I really did not want to risk more DK64 or other 'Banjo-lite' takes on the character.

I wanted this game so bad. I still have old videos on my computer of this game.

I'm also still holding out hope that we'll get a big Nintendo Kart for the Wii-U.

Edit: Nevermind, videos on my computer are the Donkey Kong Racing game for the Gamecube.

Luigi87

At first I thought some sort of ancient thread was bumped, so I had to check it out.

Seeing the actual information, this is awesome.

It does make me feel a little sad inside, I loved 90s Rare so freaking much, but it is neat to see new screens of that which disappeared ages ago.

Love seeing stuff like this, its amazing how much time Rare gave this guys to play around with the idea of voxels, so sad it didnt pan out.

Shiggy

Anth0ny said:
Awesome. I'm sure Rare has a TON of stuff in the vault. Beta Banjo Kazooie goodies anyone? Stop n Swop?

I'm a bit surprised that developers could easily smuggle these prototypes out of the company.

Shiggy

iKeepPlaying said:
KI related?

No, RareWareCentral.com releases Diddy Kong Pilot to the public on that day :)
Don't know what else they have, but the site's owner seems to be very dedicated to this subject ;)

speedpop said:
DKR is the greatest "kart" racing game out there. I'm still pissed that we never got a worthwhile sequel - and the DS port was lame as heck.
I know it doesn't have DK characters in it, but Mickey's Racing USA for the N64 is actually a pretty solid game...

Shiggy said:
Donkey Kong Racing will never leak because it didn't really exist. Sabreman Stampede on the other hand...

Well, I know it at least got to the point of having a full game design document (with the animal hopping mechanic in place), so it clearly went further than that mere concept trailer. Don't know how far it actually got into development before it was moved over to Xbox though (I only have 2nd hand info from someone who knows a former Rare employee and they're not telling me anything else)

Would gladly settle for a Sabreman Stampede beta though!

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Well, I know it at least got to the point of having a full game design document (with the animal hopping mechanic in place) Don't know how far it actually got into development before it was moved over to Xbox though (I only have 2nd hand info from someone who knows a former Rare employee and they're not telling me anything else)

You might be right, I remember that they had footage ready for E3 2002, but with the sale happening at that time, only SFA was shown there.

Top Bottom