• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Donkey Kong Country Returns Trailer!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game looks great. Isn't entirely like Donkey Kong Country, and I'll complain about the lack of Kremlins until the bitter end, but I adore how alive each level looks, especially the backgrounds.

desa

Looks great. Minecart level instantly brought back fond memories. Can't wait for this.

I wonder who's doing the music for this game. DKC series has some of the best.

Good trailer. I really like the sound effects and the animation. And that sunset level looks better every time they show it.

Also: what the heck at KevinCow. Not sure why you couldn't just accept his opinion on his experience as his own and leave it at that.

hyduK said:
Wait...no underwater levels. So...they found a way to put Enguard on land...right?
they could in theory, make a level where you use him to swim at the water line, using dolphin jumps to avoid rocks/coral and riding waves and stuff.

It could work, but I doubt it.

jett

D-Member
Everything's looking great for this game, but the music. Sounds tinny and low budget, really hasn't been given the proper attention. I blame Yamamaoto for this, the Metroid Prime games have samples of similar quality. At this point the SNES games sound better.

lol @ Segata meltdown
Green Mamba said:
Good trailer. I really like the sound effects and the animation. And that sunset level looks better every time they show it.

Also: what the heck at KevinCow. Not sure why you couldn't just accept his opinion on his experience as his own and leave it at that.
Not sure why you're blaming KevinCow, his response was pretty reasonable given that the person he was responding to was making BS complaints about one of the best games of all time based on very little play time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really like the look of this, but between Kirby, Sonic Colors, Epic Mickey, and Golden Sun this is probably the big one that I'm going to have to pass on this holiday. :(
Hopefully I'll get around to it early next year.

Damn does Retro have fantastic designers though.

Am I the only one who is disappointed by the visual style of this game?

It looks too bright and cartoony for my tastes, and doesn't retain that moody, gritty world of the originals (not that I outright dislike 'cartoony' games, I definitely enjoy them for the right game, but I feel it was misapplied here)

Squall5042 said:
Am I the only one who is disappointed by the visual style of this game?

It looks too bright and cartoony for my tastes, and doesn't retain that moody, gritty world of the originals (not that I outright dislike 'cartoony' games, I definitely enjoy them for the right game, but I feel it was misapplied here)
I would not call the originals gritty. Perhaps only gritty from the pixelation and lower amount of colors that the SNES was able to achieve. Otherwise this looks like a wonderful update.

Boney

Banned
What even happened here :S

PounchEnvy said:
Woah woah woah. I'm not like those guys. You don't see those guys in the Vindictus thread. So there. I'm different. ;_;
Stop trying to hide it.

Poyunch

I don't even care much for Kirby's Epic Yarn besides the unique artstyle. But that's partially because I have to be tighter with my money with the 3DS coming.

brandonh83 said:
Only thing I liked about the underwater sections was the music.

Agreed. I loved the underwater levels back when I first played the game in '94, but replaying them now just shows how they drag the pace down each time you play, especially the poisoned water levels.

However, I hate to see Enguarde go, as the animal buddies were part of what made DKC unique. If you want to make water levels work, I'd suggest reconfiguring them as minecart-esque levels, where DK rides Enguarde through the whole thing, maybe outrunning and eventually confronting a giant shark or squid or something. No Kongs swimming on their own; it just slows the pace down too much.

jett said:
Everything's looking great for this game, but the music. Sounds tinny and low budget, really hasn't been given the proper attention. I blame Yamamaoto for this, the Metroid Prime games have samples of similar quality.

Yeah I agree. I can't really judge the music based off this footage, but I have definitely lowered my expectations - as should everybody. Retro have zero margin for error with the music (except for DKC3). It's just too good!

Why are people worried about the music? Surely you're not expecting every song to be as dynamic as DKC2's best tracks.

Mellow and sub-dued BGM is good. Very very good. Especially after the abortion that was Jungle Beat.

flak57

Tricky I Shadow said:
Yeah I agree. I can't really judge the music based off this footage, but I have definitely lowered my expectations - as should everybody. Retro have zero margin for error with the music (except for DKC3). It's just too good!
That's the sole disappointing thing to me so far. Not necessarily the snippets of music in terms of quality, kind of hard to tell there, but because I've heard multiple remakes now. Everything else I've seen indicates that Retro is making their own game using only the bare foundations of DKC's world and gameplay, instead of just mimicking Rare. The remade music is the only thing that really contradicts that. I'd expect Jungle Japes to be in their, but I hope there are at least some good original tunes in there, especially after Prime.

Did you see my post earlier about the GBA DKC3 music? The whole soundtrack is different I think it was all composed by Wise, he did a good job with the horrible sound hardware and probably more hurried development, with it being a port and all. Don't listen to the awful snow level yodeling though, Wise must have been high when he made that.

Waterfall
Rockface Rumble
Stilt Village
Jungle Jitters
Enchanted River
Cavern Caprice
Treetop Tumble
Water World

Kard8p3

nincompoop said:
lol @ Segata meltdown

Not sure why you're blaming KevinCow, his response was pretty reasonable given that the person he was responding to was making BS complaints about one of the best games of all time based on very little play time.

I love DKC2 but his complaints weren't at all BS. You don't have to play a game for years to have your opinion be valid. He beat the game so he has a right to express his opinion on it.

Type_Raver

Music reminds me of Super mario world for the snes, mellow and muted. Mine cart level was a but more melodic, hopefully we'll hear more and personally, better.

Cygnus X-1

flak57 said:
Did you see my post earlier about the GBA DKC3 music? The whole soundtrack is different I think it was all composed by Wise, he did a good job with the horrible sound hardware and probably more hurried development, with it being a port and all. Don't listen to the awful snow level yodeling though, Wise must have been high when he made that.

The soundtrack of DKC3 was mostly composed by Eveline Fischer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cygnus X-1 said:
The soundtrack of DKC3 was mostly composed by Eveline Fischer.

Only true for the SNES version. The GBA soundtrack was composed entirely by Wise.

Edit: Beaten soundly. That's what I get for not refreshing. :lol

Ranger X

flak57 said:
That's the sole disappointing thing to me so far. Not necessarily the snippets of music in terms of quality, kind of hard to tell there, but because I've heard multiple remakes now. Everything else I've seen indicates that Retro is making their own game using only the bare foundations of DKC's world and gameplay, instead of just mimicking Rare. The remade music is the only thing that really contradicts that. I'd expect Jungle Japes to be in their, but I hope there are at least some good original tunes in there, especially after Prime.

Waterfall
Rockface Rumble
Stilt Village
Jungle Jitters
Enchanted River
Cavern Caprice
Treetop Tumble
Water World

Sadly, I doubt the new game's soundtrack will surpass Dave Wise's genuine.

Sew

Never was a fan of the collision detection in DKC myself :/

Loved it though of course, and I'll probably dust off the Wii for this.

Kard8p3 said:
I love DKC2 but his complaints weren't at all BS. You don't have to play a game for years to have your opinion be valid. He beat the game so he has a right to express his opinion on it.
There's opinions, and then there's just unvalidated BS. Collision problems in Donkey Kong Country? I have over a hundred hours in all 3 games on the VC, and I can confidently attest that here are no collision problems in any of the games. If you die, it's because you fucked up. If you keep hitting the enemy from the wrong angle, that's not because Rare programmed it wrong, it's because you aren't learning from your mistakes.

Vinci

Danish
Tricky I Shadow said:
Eh, I think he broke himself. :lol

To be fair, the entire conversation was pretty shitty to begin with. And he's probably right about how the conversation would have continued had he tried to showcase some areas in which the game were less than pristine. Probably easier for me to say that, though, given I didn't care enormously about DKC either. He's definitely right about Rare's modus operandi when it comes to introducing new elements, though, so I'd say his argument was pretty sound.

HeresSomeWeapons said:
There's opinions, and then there's just unvalidated BS. Collision problems in Donkey Kong Country? I have over a hundred hours in all 3 games on the VC, and I can confidently attest that here are no collision problems in any of the games. If you die, it's because you fucked up. If you keep hitting the enemy from the wrong angle, that's not because Rare programmed it wrong, it's because you aren't learning from your mistakes.

No, because you loved the game enough and played it enough, that you eventually didn't spot any issues because you had adapted to them through extensive gameplay periods. That doesn't somehow mean that the game is flawless, just that any flaws it has are able to be adapted to given an interest in doing so or as a side effect of one's intensely positive reaction to the game itself.

I'm not weighing in on whether the game is perfect or not - fuck me, I haven't played it in so long, I don't remember jack shit - but to suggest that someone's opinion of the game in invalid because you played it a massive amount of hours, ignoring what that sort of build-up of experience could mean, is an illegitimate statement.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
*secretly shedding a manly tear for Segata proudly accepting his fate and riding a missile towards the sun*

Goodbye, good sir. Discussing pizza toppings in gaming threads won't ever be the same again.

Vinci said:
No, because you loved the game enough and played it enough, that you eventually didn't spot any issues because you had adapted to them through extensive gameplay periods. That doesn't somehow mean that the game is flawless, just that any flaws it has are able to be adapted to given an interest in doing so or as a side effect of one's intensely positive reaction to the game itself.

I'm not weighing in on whether the game is perfect or not - fuck me, I haven't played it in so long, I don't remember jack shit - but to suggest that someone's opinion of the game in invalid because you played it a massive amount of hours, ignoring what that sort of build-up of experience could mean, is an illegitimate statement.
I still strongly resent the notion that people are entitled to claim whatever the fuck they want just because they attach the disclaimer that it's their "opinion." I would agree with your points about my time with the game if I had experienced any problems with collisions within the first hour that I played it, but I don't recall ever having a problem that wasn't my own fault. And even if there is something that I can't remember, it certainly didn't happen with the kind of frequency that would let me claim the game was broken. Couple that with the fact that no one has ever before heard anyone else complain about collision. If the man doesn't enjoy the game, that's fine. That's truly his opinion and he's entitled to it. But to somehow say it's the fault of the programming, that's just ludicrous.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
DaBuddaDa said:
or the half dozen of us with the LIMBO-kid-dying avatars :lol

::ahem:: You're welcome. :D

Edit to be on-topic:

Boney said:
You must be joking, collision is horrible.

Yep. I've done (admittedly shitty) speedruns of DKC1 in particular, and yeah it's pretty bad. You can certainly adjust to it, and even abuse it, but it's still not as good as it should be.

Segs, GAF will miss your presence, but you're spot on with your assessment of both DKC and the state of discussion on the boards. The former I say, despite my love of DKC1, and the latter I say because it's god damn overdue.

And people wonder why I've been mostly lurking for years.

Kard8p3 said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but saying DKC2 lacks variety is complete and utter BS unless you think every video game ever made lacks variety. I've never heard of anyone complaining about the collision detection in the DKC series before either. Plus when he was asked to substantiate his claims with specific examples he pulled the "I don't remember because I only played it once" card, so he was basically admitting himself that he wasn't familiar enough with the game to form a proper opinion on it.

WillyFive

_dementia said:
i had heard once that miyamoto wasn't the biggest fan of the DKC games. is that true?

Is true.

DKC1 didn't float his boat.

Edit: Whoops! Next poster says it's outdated information!

JazzmanZ

_dementia said:
i had heard once that miyamoto wasn't the biggest fan of the DKC games. is that true?

No, he was merely pressured to make a game like DKC graphics at the time, and thus he created Yoshi island with crayon like graphics instead.

Vinci

Danish
HeresSomeWeapons said:
I still strongly resent the notion that people are entitled to claim whatever the fuck they want just because they attach the disclaimer that it's their "opinion."

He played the game. He beat it. Segata is a pretty respectable dude. If he says that, generally speaking, it's pretty safe to believe that, yes he played it and he beat it - and yes, there were certain things about it he didn't like. I'm far more inclined to believe someone's opinion on a game who just sorta liked it than someone who ran the damn marathon on the thing for hundreds of hours. [I detest the early Resident Evil games, for example; meanwhile, the rest of the world seems to truly dig them, nevermind they control like shit. Am I wrong, or are they? Is there a wrong in either case?]

I would agree with your points about my time with the game if I had experienced any problems with collisions within the first hour that I played it, but I don't recall ever having a problem that wasn't my own fault. And even if there is something that I can't remember, it certainly didn't happen with the kind of frequency that would let me claim the game was broken. Couple that with the fact that no one has ever before heard anyone else complain about collision. If the man doesn't enjoy the game, that's fine. That's truly his opinion and he's entitled to it. But to somehow say it's the fault of the programming, that's just ludicrous.

I don't recall him saying it was broken. Did he? He said it wasn't perfect, that the collision was just slightly off - and that it annoyed him. What you're doing is taking a minor critique of a game that you adored and expanding on its meaning. Now, tell me again, how am I supposed to buy your version of the story over his?

EDIT: FWIW, if you Google 'DKC' and 'collision detection,' you do get links to speedrun folks talking about abusing its collision detection... as he said.

Cygnus X-1

Altazor said:
not the GBA one.

Wait. Is the GBA DCK3 soundtrack different from the original DKC3 on SNES? Isn't it a port?

_dementia said:

True. He said back that DKC was the proof that people did not care of mediocre gameplay as long as graphics was great.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Wait. Is the GBA DCK3 soundtrack different from the original DKC3 on SNES? Isn't it a port?
This wouldn't surprise me. GBA's sound hardware was far inferior to SNES. It was closer to NES quality.

scitek

JazzmanZ said:
No, he was merely pressured to make a game like DKC graphics at the time, and thus he created Yoshi island with crayon like graphics instead.

If that's how he reacts out of spite then I don't know why people haven't tried to tick him off more often.

Top Bottom