• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Donkey Kong Country Returns Trailer!

GCX

Cygnus X-1 said:
True. He said back that DKC was the proof that people did not care of mediocre gameplay as long as graphics was great.
And he also said he spammed Rare with e-mails during the development and really liked the end result.

DonMigs85

I do hope Segata comes back, but that said I never really experienced any noticeable collision issues in the DKC games. But then again I always tend to overestimate my jumps a bit and land square on the enemy's head anyway.

WillyFive

scitek said:
If that's how he reacts out of spite then I don't know why people haven't tried to tick him off more often.

500x_miya1.jpg

500x_miya2.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
_dementia said:
This wouldn't surprise me. GBA's sound hardware was far inferior to SNES. It was closer to NES quality.

You don't understand. It's completely different. New compositions and everything. Not just lower quality versions of the SNES music like DKC1 and 2 GBA.

Kard8p3

nincompoop said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but saying DKC2 lacks variety is complete and utter BS unless you think every video game ever made lacks variety. I've never heard of anyone complaining about the collision detection in the DKC series before either. Plus when he was asked to substantiate his claims with specific examples he pulled the "I don't remember because I only played it once" card, so he was basically admitting himself that he wasn't familiar enough with the game to form a proper opinion on it.

Oh I know there isn't a lack of variety. I was talking about his collision detection complaints. If you choose to ignore them then good for you but he's not the only one to bring it up. I find it hard to believe that several people are wrong on this. I've encountered these problems many times but I adjusted to it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
_dementia said:
This wouldn't surprise me. GBA's sound hardware was far inferior to SNES. It was closer to NES quality.
This is true, I have experienced it first hand in a title called Harmony of Dissonance, 8-bit nonsense music!

Boney

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Wait. Is the GBA DCK3 soundtrack different from the original DKC3 on SNES? Isn't it a port?.
It's a port, but it has new tracks composed by Wise himself.

I'm sure Segata will be back to his usual woosh soon. Just less commonly.

Easy_D said:
This is true, I have experienced it first hand in a title called Harmony of Dissonance, 8-bit nonsense music!
It's not really true though, the GBA didn't have dedicated audio hardware period, so everything had to be done on its main CPU. So the GBA was capable of really impressive audio if you weren't using too much processing power for graphics or game logic. The SNES wouldn't be able to pull off something like this, for example.

Altazor

Cygnus X-1 said:
Wait. Is the GBA DCK3 soundtrack different from the original DKC3 on SNES? Isn't it a port?

I think Dave Wise had to do a new soundtrack since the GBA wasn't able to handle the bass-heavy original compositions or something like that. I don't like some of Dave's new songs, unfortunately (especially Frosty Frolics, Treetop Tumble and Rockface Rumble... which I find far better on the SNES), even though some of them are improvements.

Easy_D said:

That was because it used the GBC sound chip. A number of early GBA titles (as well as later games that pushed the CPU pretty hard) did that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Father_Brain said:
That was because it used the GBC sound chip. A number of early GBA titles (as well as later games that pushed the CPU pretty hard) did that.
I wasn't fully aware of this.

Though HoD seems to have more layers to the music than any GBC game before it.

(Coincidentally the music's biggest fault is that theres way too much going on)

Though I suppose this is because it doesn't have to reserve any channels for the game SFX?

nincompoop said:
It's not really true though, the GBA didn't have dedicated audio hardware period, so everything had to be done on its main CPU. So the GBA was capable of really impressive audio if you weren't using too much processing power for graphics or game logic. The SNES wouldn't be able to pull off something like this, for example.

Yeah Rhythm Tengoku has great music :D

A better example would be Mother 3's music, which is absolutely fantastic. Amazing quality for a GBA title.

V_Ben

Banned
Wow, this thread certainly went south rather quickly. Hope you come back Segata, just take a brief period of leave :)

On topic, this game looks interesting to me, mainly because I've never played a Donkey Kong Country game :lol

A bit late but I'm sad to see Segata go. He was definitely one of the more entertaining crazies around here that actually knew what he was talking about when serious.

the hell's going on here? :(

oh, game looks solid platform fun to me, can never have enough. I've never been a DKC fanboy since I found the gameplay to be a bit on the simple side, but buying this day one for sure

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Just saw the trailer. I like that they're staying close to some of the sound/music. Actually brings back some of the classic

flak57

Vinci said:
I don't recall him saying it was broken. Did he? He said it wasn't perfect, that the collision was just slightly off - and that it annoyed him. What you're doing is taking a minor critique of a game that you adored and expanding on its meaning. Now, tell me again, how am I supposed to buy your version of the story over his?

EDIT: FWIW, if you Google 'DKC' and 'collision detection,' you do get links to speedrun folks talking about abusing its collision detection... as he said.
Nope, he said "sloppy as shit" to get people riled up and then backtracked a little bit when he couldn't substantiate his claim.

As for speed running, that's not even relevant, these guys are out looking for collision inconsistencies to improve their times, down to the millisecond. This wouldn't affect someone just normally playing.

WillyFive

Instro said:
I love when people announce they are leaving a forum. :lol

Yeah, they usually never do. I know I'm guilty of it.

If you tell people you will leave, you won't. It's when you don't tell them and don't realize you left that you are truly gone.

nincompoop said:
lol @ Segata meltdown

Not sure why you're blaming KevinCow, his response was pretty reasonable given that the person he was responding to was making BS complaints about one of the best games of all time based on very little play time.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Altazor

goldenenergy said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

what's so funny? he's right.

Well, I could not disagree more strongly. I think the claim that any DKC game is "one of the best games of all time" is just hilarious.

It's like the time this dude at a party said that he though The Waterboy was the best comedy film ever made. I laughed my fucking ass off. Doesn't mean he's wrong per se, it's just that I personally thought his statement was hilariously misguided.

Amir0x

Banned
Jesus christ, Segata says a few factually true things about Donkey Kong Country series and the sacred cow whiners can't have that, no no no.

"As close to perfect as a game can get", ker-rist.

LoweredExpectations.gif

Amir0x

Banned
HOW DARE HE SAY COLLISION IS OFF! Why, fuck, my childhood just won't ever be the same if I acknowledge something that has been true with every game in the series since it has been borne!

Nay, that is PART of the series! I want inferior collision! It's just part of the way it works, mang. How dare you doubt its prowess! It's the most gloriously perfect game ever to come from perfectdom, and I won't suffer your insults!

MisterHero

Well I think the game looks great. I'm not sure if there's enough variation in enemies (and by a sort of extension, gameplay variation) but I guess that's what finding out by actually playing the game is for.

Nice to see Rambi, I hope others make it back too.

Anyways, I loved the original DKC even if there was annoying and blind platforming from time to time, especially for secret areas, or in the really snowy levels. The formula DID get better in 2 and 3, so "room for improvement" can lead to better things. However, pointing the original trilogy's faults over and over again is just redundant and obvious. :p

goldenenergy said:
But remember, even statements of fact can be refuted if your fanboyism burns bright enough.
so that's why you posted so many lols

Not one time when playing the first two Donkey Kong Countries did I notice this collision problem but then again, I don't look for these things and overanalyze the medium.

It certainly didn't affect the gameplay for me at all.

And yes, I replayed it and Donkey Kong Country 2 is still one of the best platformers I have ever played, it hasn't aged poorly at all despite me having to get used to the graphics for a few minutes.

The new one looks really good and the direction Retro is going is brilliant as it stays true to the old game without duplicating the visual style.

The only thing I worry about is the levels being too straightforward from the few that we have seen, I hope they get really crazy and the game is rather long.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm actually pretty disappointed from the footage. It's hard to tell...but it looks like it will be a 30fps title (again though, too hard to tell with YouTube). Either way, the difficulty here seems real low compared to DKC2. I hope this isn't another Kirby situation.

The music also seems pretty lackluster.

TheExodu5 said:
Either way, the difficulty here seems real low compared to DKC2. I hope this isn't another Kirby situation.

Some source said it's actually harder than the previous games in the series but I don't know much else.

Cygnus X-1

ShockingAlberto said:
I consider myself pretty discerning but I'll agree that DKC2 is one of the better platformers I've ever played.

That's because the soundtrack was so amazingly amazing that added a lot to the experience.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm actually pretty disappointed from the footage. It's hard to tell...but it looks like it will be a 30fps title (again though, too hard to tell with YouTube). Either way, the difficulty here seems real low compared to DKC2. I hope this isn't another Kirby situation.

SMH, it looks like a 30 fps title on Youtube because Youtube can only play back videos at 30 fps. If you download the E3 trailer from Nintendo's press site then you can see it running at the full 60 fps.

TheExodu5

Banned
nincompoop said:
SMH, it looks like a 30 fps title on Youtube because Youtube can only play back videos at 30 fps. If you download the E3 trailer from Nintendo's press site then you can see it running at the full 60 fps.

Calm down. I said you can't really tell with YouTube.

edit: alright I'll maintain that there seem to be framerate issues in the trailer on the OP. Look after the temple level with the waterfalls...the part where the rhino goes through the burning hoop and block walls. Definitely some drops there. The question is...are they from the game or the video encoding.

edit2: comparing to the E3 trailer...which has no frame drops at all. I'm guessing it's just a poor encode.

scitek

TheExodu5 said:
Either way, the difficulty here seems real low compared to DKC2. I hope this isn't another Kirby situation.

Well, we know Retro can make a difficult game if they want to. Echoes was proof of that.

TheExodu5 said:

I think it's about time we stopped complaining about framerate. You all wanted this gen to continue past the normal five year mark (assuming this is Wii and not 3DS) and it has. Developers are continuing to push them graphically and the systems are starting to show their age. As games continue to look better and boast more effects (the back of the box has to look good), framerate will only get worse.

But with that said, 30fps is fine for me.

I do agree with you on the music. It was a really weak composition in the trailer. Compared to the amazing scores from the original titles, for a DKC game, that really hurts.

Nitpick: Also, the mine cart music (from the past games) didn't really make sense in that outdoor environment.

Looks great. Too bad I'll probably never get to play it. I do miss DKC.

Amir0x

Banned
Dark Octave said:
I think it's about time we stopped complaining about framerate. You all wanted this gen to continue past the normal five year mark and it has. Developers are continuing to push them graphically and the systems are starting to show their age. As games continue to look better and boast more effects (the back of the box has to look good), framerate will only get worse.

But with that said, 30fps is fine for me.

just for the record, nobody asked developers to push the systems graphically if it means crippling a steady and consistent 30fps.

"better graphics" and a stable 30fps are one in the fucking same

I have no idea about DKC's framerate though so just thought I'd put that out there. Hardly imagine it's pushing the Wii to its limits though :lol

flak57

Anasui Kishibe said:
DKC one of the best games of all times?

christ guys, i'm the biggest Nintendo fanboy there is, but come on
I think most people are referring to DKC2 when they say that, and this isn't something new or out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom