• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Doom Eternal update includes new Denuvo Anti-Cheat software.

Not to be confused with Denuvo Anti-Tamper, Denuvo Anti-Cheat is Denuvo's attempt at creating an anticheat software. Like many other anticheats it runs at Ring 0 access. In the wake of Valorant's anticheat and all the problems associated with it, there's been a lot of backlash in the Doom community.

For my take, this anticheat is nowhere near as bad as Valorant's. It only runs while the game is active, unlike Valorant's always on anticheat that's been causing problems on boot. That said, I do understand where people are coming from with concerns about Ring 0 access. My main issues I have with this new implementation is that it broke Linux compatibility through Wine and Valve Proton, and that you can not play the single player modes without it installed and running (despite what the patch notes say). Battlemode is looked at as basically a party mode, and the fact that Bethesda is putting in code that is hampering some users experiences with the main game to protect the integrity of it is ridiculous.

Link to the update patch notes.

Oddspeak

I don't have any feelings about anti-cheat, but it took two months for Empowered Demons to be switched on? I saw them on loading screen tips when I was playing on day one.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Main question is did they fix eteral so it could run on IGPU'S? 😍

doom 2016 was a blast

I this also in the epic version?
I bought it on epic because it was cheap
It should be, but I don't know for certain. The patch notes just say they're adding it to the pc version. I'm guessing that means EGS and Bethesda's launcher too.

Main question is did they fix eteral so it could run on IGPU'S? 😍

doom 2016 was a blast
Wasn't sure so I looked it up for you. Looks like they've got it working if you get the right drivers. Can't say for sure though since the specs on yours might be different.

Last edited:
Not sure why they would do this for such a trash MP game mode like Battlemode when it lags like crazy for a 3 player p2p game mode.

Not sure why they would do this for such a trash MP game mode like Battlemode when it lags like crazy for a 3 player p2p game mode.

Fix your internet before complaining. While the mp gets boring after a while I played it at launch and for a month after I had 0 problems with connectivity.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's not okay when an intrusive anti-cheat measure is stealthily becoming injected into the game. I'm not saying they should be gone no matter what, but there should be a clear warning about them, just like you're being warned about the requirements of an Internet connection to play the game. You could then make a conscious choice if you want to expose your system to that or not.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is the online mode even popular? Imo it sounded very boring compared to Doom 2016.

Polelock

The fact that companies can change or add whatever shit software they want after paying for it shows just how borked our system is. We don't own anything anymore.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Denuvo Anti-Cheat (DAC) runs as a RING 0, KERNEL LEVEL SERVICE. What does this mean? It means that DAC has unfettered access to your operating system. It has complete control and access to anything your operating system does.

This means that:

• It can interfere with normal operation of the OS causing errors or faults which reduces stability and system performance overall.
  • It can collect information on EVERYTHING the operating system is doing while potentially transmitting said information to whoever it pleases. You only have the software creators word that this is not happening.
  • It presents an EXTREME security risk as if hackers discover and utilize exploits in the software they can gain complete control of your machine.

Denuvo Anti-Cheat (DAC) runs as a RING 0, KERNEL LEVEL SERVICE. What does this mean? It means that DAC has unfettered access to your operating system. It has complete control and access to anything your operating system does.

This means that:

• It can interfere with normal operation of the OS causing errors or faults which reduces stability and system performance overall.
  • It can collect information on EVERYTHING the operating system is doing while potentially transmitting said information to whoever it pleases. You only have the software creators word that this is not happening.
  • It presents an EXTREME security risk as if hackers discover and utilize exploits in the software they can gain complete control of your machine.

Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all.

Any chance Bethesda reverses course on this?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It's an incredible series Doom has been great for years and it shouldn't disappoint tech fiends.

Fix your internet before complaining. While the mp gets boring after a while I played it at launch and for a month after I had 0 problems with connectivity.

The issue is due to fuck all people playing the mode thus it's dropping me in matches with people state side rather than my own region because it seems like this game isn't very popular in my region.

:|

MiguelItUp

Honestly I found this all pretty damn baffling. I mean, Battle Mode is hardly really getting by to my knowledge. So why would cheaters even bother? Lmao.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It should be, but I don't know for certain. The patch notes just say they're adding it to the pc version. I'm guessing that means EGS and Bethesda's launcher too.

Wasn't sure so I looked it up for you. Looks like they've got it working if you get the right drivers. Can't say for sure though since the specs on yours might be different.

I installed the beta drivers my nuc now runs eternal at a decent framerate in 720p.

Love this thing hahah

D.Final

Banned
Not to be confused with Denuvo Anti-Tamper, Denuvo Anti-Cheat is Denuvo's attempt at creating an anticheat software. Like many other anticheats it runs at Ring 0 access. In the wake of Valorant's anticheat and all the problems associated with it, there's been a lot of backlash in the Doom community.

For my take, this anticheat is nowhere near as bad as Valorant's. It only runs while the game is active, unlike Valorant's always on anticheat that's been causing problems on boot. That said, I do understand where people are coming from with concerns about Ring 0 access. My main issues I have with this new implementation is that it broke Linux compatibility through Wine and Valve Proton, and that you can not play the single player modes without it installed and running (despite what the patch notes say). Battlemode is looked at as basically a party mode, and the fact that Bethesda is putting in code that is hampering some users experiences with the main game to protect the integrity of it is ridiculous.

Link to the update patch notes.

Welp...
I suppose that Bethesda really like complicate that section

Teslerum

I don't have any feelings about anti-cheat, but it took two months for Empowered Demons to be switched on? I saw them on loading screen tips when I was playing on day one.

That's fine, but the *Anti-Cheat* here is kernel level (As mentioned). Which means this can absolutly fuck up your computer (And I'm talking here to the point where you can't even start windows anymore) if something goes wrong or there is a bug in the software (And potentially be a backdoor for hackers as well).

On the topic: I thought the time of Starforce like shit was over? What the hell, we don't need to go back to those days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Oddspeak

That's fine, but the *Anti-Cheat* here is kernel level (As mentioned). Which means this can absolutly fuck up your computer (And I'm talking here to the point where you can't even start windows anymore) if something goes wrong or there is a bug in the software (And potentially be a backdoor for hackers as well).

Oh, no, I'm aware of that and agree that it's very shady. I mean I am personally not affected by this because I play on PS4.

Barakov

Guess I'll pick it up on PS4. Bethesda/ID you can take a long walk off a short pier. This is why I don't go 100% PC.

PhoenixTank

Apparently the driver is only loaded when the game is running, not from system startup like with Valorant.
Even so... Ring 0.
Split the game installations into singleplayer & multiplayer with only the latter requiring it. Or just remove it outright.

Top Bottom