• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Quest 7 (3DS) features

Nasley

Neo Member
What the, I had no idea this was happening. Sign me up!

The only DQ I've played is VI on the DS though. I have been meaning to grab IX since forever; seems it's time to get to it. It'd be nice if I could get the other 2 DS remakes too, if only I could find them... They were once so cheap at a local store, I'm beating myself up for not grabbing them when I could. /selfpity :(

Aeana

Do you know why a different localization company for 6?
It's my understanding that Plus Alpha (and Richard Honeywood) were working on DQ6 to start with, but SE dropped the game. NoA picked it up again along with DQ9, and then had Plus Alpha+Honeywood's group work on DQ9 and brought 8-4 in for DQ6.

Teknoman

I cant see VII 3D not making it here. That being said...seeing this makes it really hard to pick up my PS1 playthrough, considering how long the game is.

Sagitario

It's my understanding that Plus Alpha (and Richard Honeywood) were working on DQ6 to start with, but SE dropped the game. NoA picked it up again along with DQ9, and then had Plus Alpha+Honeywood's group work on DQ9 and brought 8-4 in for DQ6.
Thanks.

I cant see VII 3D not making it here. That being said...seeing this makes it really hard to pick up my PS1 playthrough, considering how long the game is.
I can.
I'm still waiting for Rocket Slime 3 :(
I guess no more spin-offs.

Bladenic

God Bless Nintendo for giving us Dragon Quest 6 (and 9 too).

urfe

Really interesting how all this works.

Regardless, glad I live in Japan and have a decent enough grasp of the language. :)

Aeana

This is really tiny and not thread-worthy, but to everyone who thought monster classes were gone: nope.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201301/17027129.html

The latest Famitsu update shows off the last of the advanced classes (godhand, "summoner" (as it was called in DW7), and hero) as well as some of the monster classes (slime, mimic, giga mutant, geyron).

Oh, well, that's a surprise. (I mean, I guess it isn't really a surprise, and I think I was the only one who thought they might have removed monster classes)

Also it looks like the Superstar (or whatever they call it in 7) has a top hat again. I'm so happy that that's become the standard design for class.

urfe

I think this is worth its own thread, but I'm sure people disagree with me (and it may be old news?)...

Download version announced!

Since I love Dragon Quest so much, it may be the one game where I actually prefer to get the hardcopy.

I'll be looking for special promotions and whatnot.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think this is worth its own thread, but I'm sure people disagree with me (and it may be old news?)...

Since I love Dragon Quest so much, it may be the one game where I actually prefer to get the hardcopy.

Ooooh, interesting.

BriBri

Wow! I was waiting for that!

Gloam

I should probably buy a Japanese 3DS. Original models should be cheap enough, right?

Nice to see monster classes returning. Seems like this game will keep you going longer than the original with all the bonus stuff and random dungeons etc.

Mr. Fix

tumblr_m27g2kFKxm1r8gb3x.gif

Why were people thinking that the monster class would be removed?

Probably because DQVII is such a content-thick game, people are expecting something to be cut SOMEWHERE for the sake of the graphics upgrades.

Personally, I'm pretty excited. VII is my favorite in the series. Such a meaty game. I can't wait to hear some of the new arrangements by Sugiyama. It was his eeriest soundtrack.

Aeana

Was there an actual announcement somewhere? The info box on the front page of the website has mentioned a download version for as long as I can recall.

I wasn't thinking anything personally, but the job/class system in VII is a mess and removing the monster jobs would have been a small step in cleaning it up. Unfortunately, I believe they are just stuck with it, because removing anything would just come off as cutting out content (even if the content is poor). I really hope they streamline it though, remove or tweak some of the useless/redundant skills (and entire jobs) and just overall balance things better.

Aeana

I wasn't thinking anything personally, but the job/class system in VII is a mess and removing the monster jobs would have been a small step in cleaning it up. Unfortunately, I believe they are just stuck with it, because removing anything would just come off as cutting out content (even if the content is poor). I really hope they streamline it though, remove or tweak some of the useless/redundant skills (and entire jobs) and just overall balance things better.
They haven't removed any classes. They're all up on the website now.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who suggested it, and that's because:
  • The human job system in DQ7 is already pretty bloated
  • Monster classes make it even moreso, with the added bonus of being completly unintuitive
  • The addition of the Monster Cave in the park would have been an elegant solution of still allowing the player to use monsters without distracting them from exploring the human job trees.

There's neat stuff in the monster classes, but so much of it was unintuitive and or relied on chance that it was functionally worthless. I'm hoping the 3DS version has balanced things out a bit, maybe give the player some sort of guide to help navigate the monster classes.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm happy to see this but this thread reminds me of how slow SE usually is at localising their DQ games. Hopefully this one won't take too long.

urfe

Was there an actual announcement somewhere? The info box on the front page of the website has mentioned a download version for as long as I can recall.

I thought it wasn't mentioned on the site until very recently (at least I was always looking for it). I checked again yesterday and saw it there.

Could be that I always somehow missed it, but that seems hard to do.

Regardless, I'm happy one exists.

Hopefully with the monster classes they let you have access to it earlier and improve the drop rate for the hearts to make them really useful. Cutting them out would have meant taking out a significant portion of the classes which is really not a good thing for a remake imo. It already bothered me enough that they took out monster recruiting in VI for the monster master class. I'd rather have it there than not at all.

I thought it wasn't mentioned on the site until very recently (at least I was always looking for it). I checked again yesterday and saw it there.

Could be that I always somehow missed it, but that seems hard to do.

Regardless, I'm happy one exists.

I definitely saw the info about a download version on the site several weeks ago.

I agree, I also hope they increase the drop rate for monster hearts. I never experimented with the monster jobs because the hearts were so rare. Plus they disappear after one use, so I was too indecisive about who to give the hearts to.

http://jin115.com/archives/51927001.html
A friend of mine posted this elsewhere:
  • *Confirmation (if it wasn't already clear) that appearance changes w/class changes
  • *Appearance also changes immediately for monster classes, not just upon mastery like in the PSX version
  • *Job levels will go up more quickly (!!!)
  • *Spells/skills for upper division jobs are only usable when in that class, giving the endgame a bit more balance
  • *Overall simplification and rebalancing of which classes get which skills, including . . .
  • *Elimination of job history/hybrid skill system (!!!) (i.e. You won't have to/be able to get skills like Sword Dance by switching from Soldier-->Dancer.)

I've been wanting to get in on this franchise for a while. I'd probably prefer X over this but I'll pick it up if it's released here.

Coincidentially I just started playing the Japanese PS1 version. It's been over 3 hours and I haven't gotten into any combats yet. That 1 hour number that people are throwing around must be if you know exactly what you're doing and don't talk to any extra people, go to any extra places, etc.

You wander around the starting island. There's no monsters or anything. There's only 2 towns. You do a bunch of plot advancement but because the game doesn't hold your hand or have any cutscenes then it feels like gameplay. You have to talk to a bunch of different people, solve some minor puzzles, etc. The first dungeon also has no combat but a ton of interesting puzzles. I just finished the first dungeon but it seems like there's a little bit more until you unlock the next island.

I kind of liked the idea of hybrid skills. I wasn't so fond of fighting 30 battles or whatever to "remember" a job and then put it in sequence with another, but I feel like that problem could have been addressed without eliminating the feature completely. Oh well. Maybe slotting those skills into specific classes will be good for game balance.

Aeana

I'm really, really disappointed that they got rid of hybrid skills. I hope that doesn't mean that those skills aren't available in the game at all, because while sword dance was supremely overpowered, some of the others were just nice to have like kabuff and war cry. A DQ game not having kabuff is pretty dumb, too.

I'm really, really disappointed that they got rid of hybrid skills. I hope that doesn't mean that those skills aren't available in the game at all, because while sword dance was supremely overpowered, some of the others were just nice to have like kabuff and war cry. A DQ game not having kabuff is pretty dumb, too.

I need kabuff. I needs it!

I've been wanting to get in on this franchise for a while. I'd probably prefer X over this but I'll pick it up if it's released here.

The DS remakes are a good place to start or DQVIII for PS2.

http://jin115.com/archives/51927001.html
A friend of mine posted this elsewhere:

On paper these all sound like good ways to streamline the Class system; I especially like the restrictions on the high tier Classes. Now do not make the enemies easier! But instead of taking out hybrid skills entirely why didn't they just get rid of the tedium involved like having to mature on the two classes (that produce the skills) consecutively? Oh well.

Edit: I assume that the hybrid skills (at least some) will be redistributed over Classes - it is hard to think they will take them all out but who knows

You can probably still get it from a human class now, and it was also on a handful of monster classes.

Top Bottom