• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Quest Monsters Joker Scans

rod said:
this is typical DQ rpg? or something wierd like slime mori mori

DQ Monsters games are like Pokemon games..at least the first one was (capture/train/breed monsters that fight monsters for you).

Doogdogg

rod said:
this is typical DQ rpg? or something wierd like slime mori mori

wasn't the monster series also on gbc? i know very little about it but i'm guessing you collect ummm monsters..

rod

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
DQ Monsters games are like Pokemon games..at least the first one was (capture/train/breed monsters that fight monsters for you).

o...lame. still hope it gets translated so i can give it a try

The first two were released here..I got stuck in the first one and it disappeared. Pokemon games are too hard for me. Supposedly they are fun.

AniHawk

I had a friend who was obsessed with Dragon Warrior Monster during Middle School and High School. It was all he played. And he'd talk about it for ten minutes at a time (during our valuable break periods between classes).

Beitel

Mr. Pointy said:
Characters look good, the backgrounds are solid if lacking in detail. Should be gorgeous when they finish it.
I don't think they're lacking in detail. Looks extremely pretty to me, it's still a N64 with two screens basically, and this looks as great als Tales of the Tempest.

Backgrounds lacking in detail? Well maybe it's because it's on the DS, not the PSP or PS2? Hello?!

The game looks fine to me.

Mr_Moogle

DS games never look good in screenshots anyhow. Even MK: DS looked fugly in screens and it looks pretty dammed good in motion.

I think this is looking promising but we wont have a really good idea until we see it in motion.

Jacobi

Banned
..pakbeka.. said:
LOOK AT THAT HAIR!!
Toriyama can't make original characters anymore....
Um, when did he the last time ? He#s always had a limited style.

Still, this looks droolalicious ! Now who in GAF will give me a DS Lite ?

..pakbeka.. said:
LOOK AT THAT HAIR!!
Toriyama can't make original characters anymore....

I thought that Toriyama should've given up many years ago as the characters he keeps putting out there look all the same and haven't really changed (really I'm talking Anime, but it seems the games he designs for look the same as well) imo.

NintendoGal said:
I thought that Toriyama should've given up many years ago as the characters he keeps putting out there look all the same and haven't really changed (really I'm talking Anime, but it seems the games he designs for look the same as well) imo.
he should stick to makning robots, vehicles and monsters, he rocks when he's not doing humans

ethelred

NintendoGal said:

Maybe so, but his monster designs are pretty amazing, so I'd hate to see the guy throw in the towel. Playing through DQ8, I was consistently blown away by how incredible all the different monsters were. Looks like he's doing a great job of that in DQM: J, too. That's where his real talent lies, so I can deal with his actual human characters being a bit weak. At least he's not modeling every lead after Gackt.

jarrod said:
Looks fantastic. I'm starting to doubt this is from TOSE actually...

Yeah, same. This is too amazing -- looks like actual SE-quality work, on par with FFIII (only in a different style). It really seems like Square Enix wanted to create two distinctive engines for the DS, one FF engine and one DQ engine.

..pakbeka.. said:
he should stick to makning robots, vehicles and monsters, he rocks when he's not doing humans

ethelred said:
Maybe so, but his monster designs are pretty amazing, so I'd hate to see the guy throw in the towel. Playing through DQ8, I was consistently blown away by how incredible all the different monsters were. Looks like he's doing a great job of that in DQM: J, too. That's where his real talent lies, so I can deal with his actual human characters being a bit weak. At least he's not modeling every lead after Gackt.

OK, I'll give you both that as I've enjoyed the monster designs as well.

And yes, the bishonen need to go (FF). =/

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Looks great, can't wait.

I love the style and the art of Akira T. It fits great with the game's atmosphere.

Jiggy

I'd be so interested if not for that intolerably awful character design. :/ Trunks' anime style with ripped jeans to make him look "street" except that he's got his emo/gothic/bondage chains plus 1800s dress shoes and this sash type thing that...
I mean, just, argh. It makes absolutely no sense. The GBC games may not have had the best-looking characters ever, but they weren't outright turnoffs.

Pastry

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I'd be so interested if not for that intolerably awful character design. :/ Trunks' anime style with ripped jeans to make him look "street" except that he's got his emo/gothic/bondage chains plus 1800s dress shoes and this sash type thing that...
I mean, just, argh. It makes absolutely no sense. The GBC games may not have had the best-looking characters ever, but they weren't outright turnoffs.

Tattered clothes in a fantasy game are street now? You sir, are a genius.

I like this lead character. I think Toriyama's character designs are just as varied as his monsters. Just because his characters aren't covered in needless amounts of details and accesories doesn't make them any less interesting to me. If you guys don't like the way Toriyama draws people, then it sounds like you don't like the way Toriyama draws, because he's been drawing everything he designs like this for years.

Beowvlf

Banned
Man, Toriyama is such a wretched artist. I would love to see a new artist take the reigns of the entire DQ series. With each passing year I find his designs just continue to pale in comparison to more and more competing Japanese artists.

Actual visuals of the game look amazing for the DS though. Never been a big fan of the Monsters series of games, but I might give it another go with this one.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Heian-kyo said:
Man, Toriyama is such a wretched artist. I would love to see a new artist take the reigns of the entire DQ series. With each passing year I find his designs just continue to pale in comparison to more and more competing Japanese artists.
Toriyama **** owns Nomura, if that's what you are trying to imply there.

Beowvlf

Banned
Error2k4 said:
Toriyama **** owns Nomura, if that's what you are trying to imply there.
Well, I wasn't specifically singling out any individual artist (as they're all pretty much leagues above him), but nevertheless, I don't care how big the GAF bandwagon is, Nomura >>>>> Toriyama any damn day of the week.

Toriyama will probably stop doing character/monster designs for DQ games at around the same time Sugiyama quits doing music for them..when they die.

Heian-kyo said:
Well, I wasn't specifically singling out any individual artist (as they're all pretty much leagues above him), but nevertheless, I don't care how big the GAF bandwagon is, Nomura >>>>> Toriyama any damn day of the week.

Bandwagon? I can't look in any direction without his art being bashed. Omg, it's so repetitive? Yeah, because Nomura is so amazing and every character he makes is unique.

Anyway, does anyone else here want to see an original handheld Dragon Quest RPG using this graphics system?

ethelred

A Link to the Past said:
Anyway, does anyone else here want to see an original handheld Dragon Quest RPG using this graphics system?

Yes.

Just like I want to see an original Final Fantasy using the FF3 DS engine.

I constantly feel like I'm the lone dissenter there -- everyone keeps asking for ports/remakes of FF/DQ games using these engines, while I say original games > ports.

Top Bottom