• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dudebro II interview, gameplay details discussed

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Bigdownload.com recently interviewed us asking some pretty interesting questions. I was unsure about posting it myself (you know, being one of the people interviewed), but since several details about the gameplay are discussed I think it can warrant a new thread.

Link: http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/03/06/interview-we-chat-with-team-members-behind-dudebro-ii/

yoMwn.jpg

Some highlights:
The game is obviously meant to be funny but how hard is it to make a parody game that's also a good game?

Miguel: Similarly to what Sil and Andrea said, Dudebro II being mainly a parody game means that many don't take it very seriously. This affects our chances of getting new volunteers willing to commit themselves into helping us with the project. But the game is more than just a parody: we have spent quite a bit of time thinking how the gameplay could be fun and engaging, and, underneath the surface, the story is more complex than you would expect!
Many contributors also don't have much experience (if any at all) with game development, so yeah, sometimes it's quite hard to keep everything together, but it's also a great experience for everyone involved.

What sort of gameplay can we expect to see in Dudebro II?

Andrea: Not exactly what you would expect from an indie top-down shooter. Instead of just having the player fight waves of enemies in small arenas, something that is likely to become repetitive after a while, we went for a more open-ended and mission-based style of gameplay. Each chapter consists of a single map populated with missions the player can find and accept by exploring it. I'd say it's a bit of an open world-ish approach at its core, except in obviously much smaller environments. The missions themselves are what give variety to the game by offering different spins to the core gameplay or even changes to the basic level design. Completing missions awards the player with medals used to unlock boss battles and proceed further in the campaign. The game also uses physics, and being able to pick up and throw objects (something both Dudebro and some enemies can do) is core part of the gameplay. I'd say that throwing an explosive barrel towards a large group of enemies and blowing it up with a well-aimed shot can feel quite satisfying.

What sort of locations and settings will we see in the game?

Andrea: I'm not going to spoil them into detail, but each chapter is set in a completely different location. Dudebro is going to travel a lot during his adventure, so you'll see a variety of settings. The first one, depicted in the first screenshots we released, is Alaska. More specifically, the snowfields surrounding a facility built next to the oil pipeline and taken over by terrorists. But right after such a cold area, what could be better than laying in the sun on a Cuban beach? Using different locations around the world allowed us to build up some pretty nice contrast, making each chapter look more unique.

You got Jon St John to do Dudebro's voice. How was he to work with and how is his voice different from his work on Duke Nukem?

Sil: We can't express enough how fortunate we are that Jon St. John was willing to voice and record lines for Dudebro. He has been extremely supportive of Dudebro II and our project at large. Recently, at this year's MagFest, he held a panel during which he let the audience hear some of the lines he recorded for Dudebro. It was great to see that not only the audience, but also Jon St. John himself enjoyed listening to that dialogue.

Overall how has the game's development gone for the team?

Sil: When we first started, we were overwhelmed by support and people asking to join the team. Everything started as a community effort, so as we grew larger so did the game's scope to accommodate all these volunteers. A few months later, though, real life kicked in and several key team members had personal, school, or work issues preventing them from continuing to work on the project. The way our team was organized allowed us to absorb the impact so that the game wasn't critically affected, and we had a chance to rethink the direction we wanted to take with Dudebro II. We decided to go with 2D sprites for the characters instead of the 3D models we had earlier. Not only does this new change better reflects our team's skill-set, but it also gives the game a better and more unique feel than ever before. Now, we are looking to expand the team again. Anyone who's interested in joining us can contact us through our website, http://www.dudebro2.com.

Why is the game going to be free when the team could easily sell the title and make some money back?

Andrea: When money enters any scenario, everything gets more complicated. The prospect of making money would be a hell of a motivator for many, but with so many people involved we'd hardly please everyone, or even make enough to turn in a decent profit. So we decided to just take money out of the equation entirely, while still trying to make a game as good as one you'd pay for, and we plan to allow everyone who played, and liked, it to donate money to charity instead.

I hope it's a good read :)

Xater

Oh no! It looks like playable Chicken seems to be in danger. :( I think a line I came up with made it into the Chicken script back then.

It's just too bad that I don't have any actual skills you guys need right now.

Articalys

The Lamonster said:
I hope it's as good as the first one!
Already answered in the interview!

Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Dudebro II?

Andrea: It's better than the first!

I can't wait until this is finished. The whole team's perseverance is awe-inspiring.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Xater said:
Oh no! It looks like playable Chicken seems to be in danger. :( I think a line I came up with made it into the Chicken script back then.

It's just too bad that I don't have any actual skills you guys need right now.
The character is not in danger, online co-op is just a can of worms we haven't really opened yet, so we'd rather not guarantee it instead of promising something we might not be able to deliver. Even in the worst case scenario he will be in, in some way :)

scitek said:
Who's voicing Chicken?
That would be you, sir :p

Green Scar said:
Self-promotion, ban
Haha, honestly that's the reason why I wasn't sure about posting the interview myself. But, over time, I've seen several people here on GAF not knowing what the game was about, or even if we were making it for real (we are) or just joking about it.
So, I thought some more details could have been interesting, and since almost no one checks the OT (or the website) I thought a new thread would have been the best way to do it.

Green Scar said:
Sounds great, can't wait to see it in action.
Hopefully soon, once it looks good enough to be shown publicly. I apologize for the fact it's been taking so long, but as mentioned in the interview the number of participants dropped significantly over time, so we're left with a workload sized for a much bigger team and things have consequently been moving significantly slower than expected.

Articalys said:
I can't wait until this is finished. The whole team's perseverance is awe-inspiring.

El Sloth

Banned
The fact this spawned from a post in a imagine:babyz thread still blows my mind. In a good way.

You guys are awesome, keep up the good work!

Detox

As a lurker, I've been following the development of the game and I just want to congratulate those working on it for what they've done so far and wish them luck in completing the game.
I also want to ask if the game will be ported over to 360 Indies or is it PC only?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lyonaz said:
Are we getting a trailer anytime soon?
Not very soon, but we plan to release one as soon as the footage looks representative enough of the final game.

Detox said:
As a lurker, I've been following the development of the game and I just want to congratulate those working on it for what they've done so far and wish them luck in completing the game.
I also want to ask if the game will be ported over to 360 Indies or is it PC only?
PC/Mac only for now, as we need to focus on finishing it first. After the game is done, we'll be able to evaluate eventual ports :)

linkboy

El Sloth said:
The fact this spawned from a post in a imagine:babyz thread still blows my mind. In a good way.

You guys are awesome, keep up the good work!

Me too. To see it go from a funny comment to a full blown game is nothing short of amazing.

Keep up the good work guys.

You got Jon St John to do Dudebro's voice. How was he to work with and how is his voice different from his work on Duke Nukem?

Sil: We can't express enough how fortunate we are that Jon St. John was willing to voice and record lines for Dudebro. He has been extremely supportive of Dudebro II and our project at large. Recently, at this year's MagFest, he held a panel during which he let the audience hear some of the lines he recorded for Dudebro. It was great to see that not only the audience, but also Jon St. John himself enjoyed listening to that dialogue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PrDBWPtcNQ&hd=1&feature=player_detailpage#t=1165s

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Corto said:
What a shamelessly
awesome
thread! Donations are also out of the question?
Yeah, we'll probably only allow to donate to charity later on.
Luckily the costs have been more than manageable so far.

Armada said:
:)))

Metroid Killer said:
One of my most anticipated games! Seriously, and something tells me that it will blow my expectations :)
That's the plan!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GOTY, I put nearly 600 hours into the first one, and this is looking like it will somehow be even better.

Is Dudebro II scheduled for this year?

If so, that would make three games this year where John plays the main character.

Duke Nukem Forever
Dudebro
Conduit II

Get hyped!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Criminal Upper said:
Is Dudebro II scheduled for this year?

If so, that would make three games this year where John plays the main character.

Duke Nukem Forever
Dudebro
Conduit II

Get hyped!
It is, but until the understaffing is sorted out I'd rather not discuss detailed timeframes.

The game has been sized taking into account a certain number of active contributors (about half of the ones who initially volunteered, actually, to make up for real life being obviously a priority for everybody), but over time that number has dropped significantly more, so things inevitably slowed down more than expected. This is why we've been looking for more contributors lately, to speed things back up.

Boney said:
You guys better blow it out of the water.
*Tag Quote* :O

Top Bottom