• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New E3 DC Universe Online trailer

KZObsessed

I'm interested in this game but I need to see some proper missions. They've played off the whole "yeh you can be a super hero or villain alongside DC legends" and then I've seen them all fight a bunch of times at the end. But that's it really.

They've mentioned how they've got some really epic missions like one of the villains starting a "natural" disaster and the heroes having to stop them and how there's this action/reaction dynamic between the heroes and villains throughout every mission. That every bad thing that happens is due to one of the villains etc but they've really not shown how any of the missions work exactly, from a gameplay point of view. Although maybe I've just missed it. I han't been following every item of info or tho I've tried to keep up to date with it, but it seems to me that they've shown the game off fairly poorly so far, or trying to rely too much on the concept to sell it. I'd definitely like to see how things work in a lot more depth before I can be sure I'm gonna buy it. There's still plenty of time of course. And we still need to know whether it's subscription based or free to play.

Have they shown character customization or how your character comes to be in the possession of super powers? I'd like to see that. Or if there are any missions walkthrough videos please post them if not too much trouble.

I'll have a quick look for myself now.

Wag

Yes it looks good and all but the client is $50/$60 for the PC/PS3 respectively, it looks like there will be no cross platform play and money bet they'll charge a monthly fee (so much for the free monthly deal it was supposed to be).

tim1138

They keep teasing with shots of Hal and Sinestro and no apparent to way to join one of the Corps. The speedster game play does look pretty good though. If it's free to pay I'll probably pick it up, but I fear it's going to be 90% Batman clones.

They've already said cross-platform play is the default. Until they say it's out, assume it's in.

Zero word if it's pay to play or free so far.

tim1138

So assuming this is free to play and a bunch of people jump in, there will be a GAF Legion/League I'm guessing?

Wag

krypt0nian said:
They've already said cross-platform play is the default. Until they say it's out, assume it's in.

On a recent review one of the head developers stated that even though they have cross-platform play working ultimately it's going to be a business decision whether cross-platform play will happen. Considering The Agency was also supposed to have cross-platform play and they decided against it, so I would think they would do the same for DCU.

It looks like it has potential but it seems a long way off from being polished.

At 1:42 you can see the heroes just moving through the air without any animation at all. The animation in general seems a bit choppy. Nothing in the trailer screamed "massively multiplayer." There don't seem to be facial expressions yet, a feature that has been in WoW since launch and would be inexcusable to omit now.

Will this really make a November 2010 release date? I'm skeptical.

Wag said:
On a recent review one of the head developers stated that even though they have cross-platform play working ultimately it's going to be a business decision whether cross-platform play will happen. Considering The Agency was also supposed to have cross-platform play and they decided against it, so I would think they would do the same for DCU.

Saw the interview. But gameplay is totally diffent here so that decision done not foretell this one. Crossplay is in until they say it's not IMO. I follow this one closer than most and I've seen nothing to say that it's gone.

Who knows though. You'd think they'd want a big player pool for qn action game like this one.

Tobor

I'm definitely going to be in for this one. I liked City of Heroes and I want to support console MMO's.

Rorschach

Seeing the character next to those legendary superheroes seems kinda cool, but seeing him next to Sinestro, the Joker, Luther, etc made me smirk. It's something they haven't really done much of in the past.

John

It's going to be very awkward when I meet [DC character I had a crush on but I'm totally over that now] in-game and I can't shake the thought that it's not really her, it's just a middle-age Sony employee on the other side of the line.

Wag

John said:
It's going to be very awkward when I meet [DC character I had a crush on but I'm totally over that now] in-game and I can't shake the thought that it's not really her, it's just a middle-age Sony employee on the other side of the line.
Are the DC characters in the game even people? I thought they were just NPCs that furthered the missions/gameplay?

New trailer looks great. Been tracking this from the start. A big fan of the DCU and I've liked MMOs here and there so this really interests me. Hope to see and hear more tomorrow at Sony's conference. I'll be getting the PS3 version if it turns out well.

Azrael

I hope they don't spend much time on these SOE MMOs during the conference. If I have to sit through 15 minutes of Free Realms, DC Universe Online, and The Agency, I will not be a happy camper. Can't wait to see more FFXIV though =).

I've been interested in DCUO since it was annouced two years ago. I don't mind the monthly subscription fee, it's an MMO afterall. But I really hope that it will indeed feature cross-platform play across PC & PS3. Splintering the userbase would most likely lead to the game's eventual death on PS3.

And yeah, I plan on playing this on my PS3. It'd be great if Sony releases it on PSN as well as the blu-ray edition.

Top Bottom