• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EDGE Scores (July 2011- Alice, Shadows of the Damned, Duke, RE Mercenaries, WKC2)

Fady K

Here are the latest Edge review scores, courtesy of NintendoEverything.com -

Alice: Madness Returns – 5
Duke Nukem Forever – 3
Dungeon Seige III – 7
Frozen Synapse – 9
Hunted: The Demon’s Forge – 6
Red Faction: Armageddon – 6
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D – 6
Shadows of the Damned – 5
White Knight Chronicles II – 4

glaurung

Really sad about WKC II being such a shoddy piece of work.

How the mighty have fallen.

Alice's score is just.

Spookie

wwm0nkey said:
Seriously? :/

I thought it was fairly average tbh. But the scores for Duke and Shadows of the Dammed justify me cancelling my sub. I like their previews but I never agreed with their reviews.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fady K said:
Frozen Synapse – 9

Motherf*** yes. Needs more exposure.
I need to get you all to buy this game.

Edit: No wonder everything else pales if they review FS in the same issue :p
Edit2: Shame about Alice though.

hiro4

Spookie said:
I thought it was fairly average tbh. But the scores for Duke and Shadows of the Dammed justify me cancelling my sub. I like their previews but I never agreed with their reviews.

I never read the reviews in Edge and if I read one, I don't look at the scores.
Edge is a great magazine, but not for their reviews.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
extremely harsh all around.

Edge on a roll with 5s and 6s lately, the most shocking 6 was the one given to TW2 though. smh

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Its like reviewers cAnt be bothered to spend more than 2 hours with alice

StuBurns

Banned
I think very highly of Alice 2. The rest I don't really care about, I played WKC2 and I didn't like it. SotD is good, but not great.

herod

The Alice and DNF review scores are the same as Eurogamer, so not really off-base. SotD score is slightly below, but again the proof will be in the reading.

faridmon

Dungeon Siege III should not be given that score. That game was really underwhelming and the design aspect is truly baffeling. In Co-op, the other people who join you don't get a zilch which is stupid since the whole game rveolves around bloody Co-op. and the design charcter si just absymal. Every women with a huge boobs is quite normal and the men are always look a like. Also, its quite short for an RPG, add to the fact that the story is just a second thought, and you get a truly rubbish game.

I thought Edge would have given it 3 to be honest. Just furthure proves that reviews are useless.
glaurung said:
Really sad about WKC II being such a shoddy piece of work.

How the mighty have fallen.

Alice's score is just.
WTF? Since when was WKC and Level-5 a ''mighty''? they were always a medicore studio at best...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Green Scar said:
I'll be the guy who points out Frozen Synapse is the only UK developed game there :trollface:

Its also the best game on the list. Not with that big of a gap to the next one, but still.

snoopeasystreet said:
Frozen Synapse – 9

Well deserved.

Listen to snoop.

herod

Just re-subscribed to the print mag because the Zinio version is just starting to annoy me now. iPad needs a retina display asap for magazine reading.

Toma said:
Its also the best game on the list. Not with that big of a gap to the next one, but still.

Yeah, I've only seen praise coming from elsewhere too. I wasn't making a serious point, just thought I'd get that in there before someone being serious does :p

Toma

Green Scar said:
Yeah, I've only seen praise coming from elsewhere too. I wasn't making a serious point, just thought I'd get that in there before someone being serious does :p

Wait a few days for a steam sale though, or for me to start up a "BUY FS" thread before you buy please. I'll try to organize it in a way that we have US Gaffers to host their free copy so that everyone is only paying the $ prices. Lets see how that turns out.

glaurung

faridmon said:
Dungeon Siege III should not be given that score. That game was really underwhelming and the design aspect is truly baffeling. In Co-op, the other people who join you don't get a zilch which is stupid since the whole game rveolves around bloody Co-op. and the design charcter si just absymal. Every women with a huge boobs is quite normal and the men are always look a like. Also, its quite short for an RPG, add to the fact that the story is just a second thought, and you get a truly rubbish game.

I thought Edge would have given it 3 to be honest. Just furthure proves that reviews are useless.
Whoa, how'd I not notice that seven for Dungeon Siege III!?

Considering I played through the game on PC, I would really like to read what the redeeming features were supposed to be that wowed EDGE so much. 3/10 would have been justified, perhaps as high as 5, but a 7? We aren't that starved for mediocre ARPGS now are we?

Jex

Spookie said:
But the scores for Duke and Shadows of the Dammed justify me cancelling my sub. I like their previews but I never agreed with their reviews.
I'm just slightly curious but, do you only read a gaming magazine to see them give the games you like the score you think they should get? That just seems a little odd, especially considering how reviews have become less and less important in this age of online discussions.

Although that isn't to say that I haven't found myself at odds with some of their reviews in the past, so I'm not holding them up as some kind of industry standard.

I look forward to picking up this issue.

faridmon

glaurung said:

Considering I played through the game on PC, I would really like to read what the redeeming features were supposed to be that wowed EDGE so much. 3/10 would have been justified, perhaps as high as 5, but a 7? We aren't that starved for mediocre ARPGS now are we?
Aye, I am actully shocked to see Obsidian devolping this game with a half-assesd though and the reply they just came up with when critisised the game is just anger inducing.

Now, this is where ''how the mighty have fallen'' is truly placed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
glaurung said:

Well, here's how they rated similar games.

Diablo - 7
Diablo II - 6
Torchlight - 7
Dungeon Siege - 7
Titan Quest - 7

Detox

Alice review is on their site.

Cover: It is a weird tracing paper style paper over the actual cover which puts the blueprint over the Wii U.
1yh0s.jpg

Next month:
s6SZ9.jpg

Toma

Nirolak said:

Diablo - 7
Diablo II - 6
Torchlight - 7
Dungeon Siege - 7
Titan Quest - 7

Wow Diablo 2 scored LOWER than anything else? I'd love to read that review. Does anyone know which issue that was?

glaurung

Nirolak said:

Diablo - 7
Diablo II - 6
Torchlight - 7
Dungeon Siege - 7
Titan Quest - 7
Meh.

Looks like a pattern of sorts.

Hopefully that does not mean that Diablo III will end up wih a 5/10... Then some people would probably set fire to the Future Publishing building.

faridmon

Nirolak said:

Diablo - 7
Diablo II - 6
Torchlight - 7
Dungeon Siege - 7
Titan Quest - 7
I have never played any of the diablo games, but those scores (apart from Diablo games which I have never played) are more or less, in line of what I think they deserve. But a 7 for Dungeon Seiege is truly mystifying.

Toma

faridmon said:
I have never played any of the diablo games, but those scores are, more or less, in line of what I think they deserve. But a 7 for Dungeon Seiege is truly mystifying.

... Are you kidding me?

Can someone pinch me? Did this guy just say what I think he did?

BeeDog

faridmon said:
I have never played any of the diablo games, but those scores are, more or less, in line of what I think they deserve. But a 7 for Dungeon Seiege is truly mystifying.

No offense, but this post is fucking stupid.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ruud_Luiten said:
next month kinect?

Looks like it. Likely some sort of special feature about the whole Kinect thing (past, present, future, dev interviews etc..)

Toma

BeeDog said:
No offense, but this post is fucking stupid.

Thanks.

Holy cow on a stick. And I wouldnt actually say "no offense" there.

Fady K

Zeouterlimits said:
I won't fall into the trap of raging against Edge scores, I won't....

I know, it's nuts. Their opinions and all. Still though, they tend to stick out like a sore thumb most of the time - in a bad way. Edge reviews to me are pure comedy.

Here are some of their reviews of games that most GAFfers and critics consider to be great games:

Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - 6/10
999 - 6/10
Sonic Colors - 6/10
Dead Nation - 5/10
flower - 7/10
Joe Danger 7/10
Scott Pilgrim Vs the World 6/10
Ace Attorney Investigations - 6/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 - 6/10
Darksiders - 6/10
The Witcher 2 - 6/10
Outland - 7/10
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - 6/10
Donkey Kong Country Returns 7/10
Another Code R Wii - 4/10
Contra 4 - 6/10
Yakuza 3 - 6/10
Sonic Rush Adventure - 5/10
Gran Turismo 5 - 7/10
Muramasa: Demon Blade 6/10
Resistance Retribution 6/10
Rule of Rose - 3/10
inFamous 2 6/10
Little Big Planet PSP - 6/10
Warioland: Shake It 6/10
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - 6/10
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - 6/10
Elite Beat Agents 7/10
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption 7/10

Haunted

Fady K said:
I know, it's nuts. Their opinions and all. Still though, they tend to stick out like a sore thumb most of the time - in a bad way. Edge reviews to me are pure comedy.

Here are some of their reviews of games that most GAFfers and critics consider to be classics:
I find your definition of "classics" disturbing. :lol

Wazzim

Banned
Fady K said:

Here are some of their reviews of games that most GAFfers and critics consider to be classics:

Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - 6/10
999 - 6/10
Sonic Colors - 6/10
Dead Nation - 5/10
flower - 7/10
Joe Danger 7/10
Scott Pilgrim Vs the World 6/10
Ace Attorney Investigations - 6/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 - 6/10
Darksiders - 6/10
The Witcher 2 - 6/10
Outland - 7/10
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - 6/10
Donkey Kong Country Returns 7/10
Another Code R Wii - 4/10
Contra 4 - 6/10
Yakuza 3 - 6/10
Sonic Rush Adventure - 5/10
Gran Turismo 5 - 7/10
Muramasa: Demon Blade 6/10
Resistance Retribution 6/10
Rule of Rose - 3/10
inFamous 2 6/10
Little Big Planet PSP - 6/10
Warioland: Shake It 6/10
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - 6/10
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - 6/10
Elite Beat Agents 7/10
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption 7/10
That's just not true, I usually don't have any problems with Edge but The Witcher 2 is at least worth a 7.

glaurung

Wait, Ecclesia got only 6/10 from EDGE?

Hmm.

I guess a new proper metroidvania game is long overdue.

*sweeps Lord of Shadows under the carpet

Top Bottom