• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores and Rumors.

MidiSurf

Banned
Prine said:
Wow, so goldeneye could have been released and its MS decision? I reckon it was down to royalties/EA fees or Rare saying they cant be bothered

Hopefully they go back and look at a possible Goldeneye release again.

Can anyone even releas Golden Eye ? I mean who holds the rights ? Activision owns bond license and ownership of Golden Eye rights seems to be mystery.

Guy Legend

blindrocket said:
Game already in the works for Microsoft's next console?

Early death of 360 confirmed.

More likely they are getting out of the console war to help focus on Dreamcast 2.

9/9/09 launch confirmed.

Mindlog

GauntletFan said:
If MS have teams working on a title for their next machine, it means they are probably in pre-production phase, which could last a year or more. Then, seeing as it's probably a large IP, I'd expect 2-3 years development time putting you at 2011-2012 which is when I would expect to see a new console launch.

This sounds quite plausible.

I am just here to verify that people are actually calling out MS for a possible (rumored) 5 to 6 year console cycle. I mean have we ever seen this before ? This is so like M$. Only M$ would pull crap like this !

Jube3

Kiriku said:
That's a lot of GH in a year. I wouldn't mind it though, since I assume it'll basically be like lots of songs put on a disc and shipped to retail. In fact, more discs like that increases the possibility of getting the kind of music I want on one disc. For people who are really into Aerosmith for example, they'll get a release just for that. Perhaps we'll see these kind of releases divided into genres of music as well, which I would love. DLC is cool and all, but it's usually much more expensive from what I've seen.

Im down for expansion packs, I just hope for 2 things, that the price is right (30-40 depending on how many songs) and especially this, let me download the songs to my 360 HDD so i can load of all the songs in GH3 ,or one game. I would hate to switch between 4 disks.

Xater

Y2Kev said:
Um, full next-gen games take 3-4 years to make, and this is next-next gen, so like I don't see a problem. If the game is in preproduction (let's call this game "Halo 4") and they really spend 1-1.5 years planning it and then 2-3 making it, that's awesome, not bad.

Yeah actually that would show that MS is still in it for the long term besides all the dumb MS is the doomed comments considering their 08 lineup. :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Y2Kev said:
Um, full next-gen games take 3-4 years to make, and this is next-next gen, so like I don't see a problem. If the game is in preproduction (let's call this game "Halo 4") and they really spend 1-1.5 years planning it and then 2-3 making it, that's awesome, not bad.

I don't know if this is still true, but what talk about Microsoft's next console is supposed to have them doing the CPU themselves. They want to know the ins and outs of what is needed for bandwidth, the maximum output of polygons per frame with certain effects on and so forth. They wanted to pinpoint everything so that development would be smooth and you would know the max that the console could do from day one and could also hit it from day one.

FF_VIII

Banned
Kiriku said:
That's a lot of GH in a year. I wouldn't mind it though, since I assume it'll basically be like lots of songs put on a disc and shipped to retail. In fact, more discs like that increases the possibility of getting the kind of music I want on one disc. For people who are really into Aerosmith for example, they'll get a release just for that. Perhaps we'll see these kind of releases divided into genres of music as well, which I would love. DLC is cool and all, but it's usually much more expensive from what I've seen.

Maybe one of them is an expansion of 3, just with more songs? They'd make more money anyway putting them on disc instead of DLC so it makes sense.

clashfan

Surprisingly high score for Culdcept Saga. I really need to check out the demo.

Not really disappointed with the Goldeneye rumor. Classic game but does the 360 really need another FPS?

xabre

Banned
spyshagg said:
x360 3.5 year lifespan confirmed

Well if somehow it does turn out to be true then fuck buying the next one. At the rate they're going the pricks would have me up for an Xbox 4 in March 2011, an Xbox 5 by August, Xbox 6 would come out in October and Xbox 7 in time for Christmas.

Borys said:
Launching early did wonders to Xbox 360 even though everyone from the gaming press and every goddamn Xbox troll on the planet told you otherwise

There was huge and unwarranted media hate on the 360 for a long time (remember 1up's 360/Dreamcast comparison?). "360 games just aren't next-gen". lol. Then PS3 came out and it's graphics were worse, especially the multiplats. This must be the whole enthusiast press thing that N-Gai talks about.

MidiSurf said:
Is it really that bad ? I loved the first one and i had high hopes for Nanostray 2.
They gave the first one straight 5s. The only real problem with the first one was the touch screen weapon changing and I believe that that's been fixed for the sequel. EGM doesn't like hardcore games such as shoot em ups so you shouldn't really ever trust their reveiw scores for those types of games.

Agent Icebeezy said:
They want to make money. It doesn't make fiscal sense to do so. They need to flesh out this generation so developers can recoup their money. Diving into yet another hardware situation would push the developers to go full scale into PS3 only development because the demands of an Xbox 3 would require even more money and more resources. Shane must have went home with blueballs the day he typed this.
This would be inconsequential if they release an Xbox360+ similar in relation to the GC--> Wii. If they follow Nintendo's hardware model they can actually earn money from their hardware. To top it off they could even add some waggle! I wouldn't be surprised to see an Xbox1080 in 09 that's a minor improvement spec wise but with hard drive included and added waggle.

npm0925

What did the reviewers say about Harvey Birdman? I was thinking about picking it up for the PS2 until I saw those scores.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Canceling a GoldenEye XBLA, I can excuse. Licensing might have made it impossible.

Now, if it had been Perfect Dark XBLA, then I would focus pure hate onto MS until they die.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Rumors:
Unannounced Microsoft first party sequel in the works for Microsoft's next console

Shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. If they want to come out with an awesome launch title they would probably want to start now for a 2011 or 2012 launch. The real question is what is the title?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the halo universe. Halo mmo perhaps?

PillowKnight said:
This would be inconsequential if they release an Xbox360+ similar in relation to the GC--> Wii. If they follow Nintendo's hardware model they can actually earn money from their hardware. To top it off they could even add some waggle! I wouldn't be surprised to see an Xbox1080 in 09 that's a minor improvement spec wise but with hard drive included and added waggle.

If this happens, there will probably be mass defections from the Microsoft fanboy camp and I doubt people are exactly keen on Microsoft as a casual, family-oriented company.

KevinCow

Banned
If Microsoft cuts this generation short again, then fuck them. And fuck anybody who would support them by buying their console at launch.

Foil

blindrocket said:
Game already in the works for Microsoft's next console?

Early death of 360 confirmed.

Uhh or the fact that the game most likely will take 2-3 years of development, thus the next Xbox releasing around fall 2011, which is perfectly fine and a six year lifespan for the 360. Which is the norm for consoles, and for all we know it might only be a small group working on the game while the rest work on a 360 title. And it's not like they'll drop support or kill off the 360 this time around, things are much different for them now.

Nice try though.

PillowKnight said:

Ugh, don't even joke about shit like that. We don't need two console makers skimping on hardware.

1-D_FTW

I call a Perfect Dark sequel.

If Rare's gonna hit launch, you gotta rev that machine up early.

EDIT: PillowKnight makes a lot of sense too. An overclocked 360 with packed in waggle makes a lot of sense.

Xun

It says for Microsoft's next console, but maybe it's a game which takes advantage of the HD DVD player on the so called Toshiba Xbox 360?

Doubtful since they said they'd never do that, but still. :p

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
PillowKnight said:

They aren't going to do that. Nintendo's path only benefits Nintendo. It is a waste of Microsoft's vast talent to do a 360+. They own Xenos, so throw more ram in that and give it a Direct X 13 API and someone give us a real CPU and that give us 60fps locked from day one.

GhaleonEB

Y2Kev said:
I suspect Microsoft wants a Halo title out at the launch of their next system. So having it in the planning stages, now the Bungie has moved on, makes sense.

RedBoot

kiruyama said:
YES.

But didn't Atlus announce they canceled Persona 4 for PS3 in favor of a PS2 version?

By "next SMT title" I assume they mean SMT4. Persona 4 or DDS3 or Devil Summoner 2 or any other hypothetical game could be for a different system.

Anyway, FES coming over here is getting more and more likely, which is nice. Not too thrilled about the idea of an SMT game on PS3 since that would mean I'd have to buy a PS3, but it'd still be a year or two off from now and PS3s are bound to be affordable by then.

Jirotrom

Anerythristic said:
I am just here to verify that people are actually calling out MS for a possible (rumored) 5 to 6 year console cycle. I mean have we ever seen this before ? This is so like M$. Only M$ would pull crap like this !
or it could be that just about every major console before ran a 5-6 year life...

Anywho, anyone have the key points of the Culdcept Review and who gave what scores?

Ranger X

KevinCow said:
If Microsoft cuts this generation short again, then fuck them. And fuck anybody who would support them by buying their console at launch.

They will. You should have learned by now that they are fucking cold business with no possible shame. It's all about slowly teaching people into buying more and faster up to the day the console world would evolve (lol) into always buying new hardware and software for y, x, z reasons. A sort of insane pace like on the PC side of gaming.

Hopefully the unified console will save us soon.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man, Microsoft's next system is going to kick ass. The 360 is seriously world class hardware design.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
A next-gen game starting now would still take another 2 to 3 years (probably more) to complete. 2010 would still give the 360 a 5-year lifespan. What are people complaining about?

Jirotrom

KevinCow said:
im willing to bet Nintendo will be offering a modified Wii near the end of 09.

Fuck Goldeneye. This isn't 1997 anymore. I tried to go back and play it earlier last year and was surprised to find out how badly it aged. I have nothing but fond memories of playing the game with my friends back in the day but not having it come out as some XBLA game is probably for the best, or at least as far as people's nostalgic laced minds are concerned.

Now if they did something like cancel a XBLA version of Blastcorps at the last minute.....holy hell would be raised by me.

Agent Icebeezy said:
They aren't going to do that. Nintendo's path only benefits Nintendo. It is a waste of Microsoft's vast talent to do a 360+. They own Xenos, so throw more ram in that and give it a Direct X 13 API and someone give us a real CPU and that give us 60fps locked from day one.
But then they'd have to sell it at a loss. Why would they do that when they can simply release what I mentioned above and actually make money? Note, this is considering they release in 09 as opposed to dragging out the generation longer and releasing in 11 or later. On top of that, their fanbase is up for it, look at the amount of people willing to pay for a second and third 360.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Shane's keyboard ran amok

Exactly. Why would a company that is virtually peerless when it comes to making profits turn away from a console when it is finally on a path to turning a profit?

This is stealth FUD if I've ever seen it.

Shiggy

MidiSurf said:
Can anyone even releas Golden Eye ? I mean who holds the rights ? Activision owns bond license and ownership of Golden Eye rights seems to be mystery.

Activision -> James Bond license
Nintendo -> GoldenEye 007 game code, as it's contractual (?) work like DK instead of the creation of a new license.

Jirotrom

Agent Icebeezy said:
Um the 360 can do that now, its the devs choice not to have or to have a game run a 60fps.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Unannounced Microsoft first party sequel in the works for Microsoft's next console
Seems about right... Halo Next need at least 2-3 years of developing so, 2008-late 2010 (launch of new Xbox system)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SuperSonic1305 said:
Rumors:
Sony teaming up with a major japanese publisher to remake old games for PSN
Persona 3: FES coming stateside, Next SMT title on PS3

FF6/FF7 release on PSN!
GoW2 for Xbox 720 :lol
P3:FES YAY! SMT on PS3 I want long time, I love Folklore :D

Top Bottom