• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Far cry 5 trailer.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Weather its the animations, floaty control and gunplay or all unnecessary HUD elements , it breaks it for me before even picking up the controller.

Hopefully theres a trial or a demo and I ll be proven wrong, but certain ubisoft just lacka polish for me.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Weather its the animations, floaty control and gunplay or all unnecessary HUD elements , it breaks it for me before even picking up the controller.

Hopefully theres a trial or a demo and I ll be proven wrong, but certain ubisoft just lacka polish for me.

After Unity I assumed that UBISOFT had addressed quality going forwards.

ancelotti

After knocking it out of the park with WD2, Wildlands, and Origins, I'm super hyped to see what Ubi has in store. It seems like after AC: Origins the thing they're adding is a kind of density of purpose to usually mindless NPCs. It's almost as if they have their own thing going on outside of player focused interaction (with way less jank). I'm finding older open worlds difficult to go back to because of how sterile and empty they now seem. The setting and tone still seem a little weird, but they've definitely earned a bit of leeway with how successfully they pulled off San Francisco, Bolivia, and Egypt.

subsmoke

I loved Far Cry 4. It's one of the few PS4 games that I've gotten 100% completion on so I'm definitely picking up 5. Did any of you play Primal? Is it any good? I've thought about getting it but I'm not sure if I like the idea of only using a bow and arrow and a melee weapon for the entire game.

Horns

I like that Ubisoft has spent more time polishing their games and the continued support they're providing. After the past few Far Cry games I feel like I was losing interest, but this one is pulling me back in.

Kind of lame that they backed off the villianization of the the white power people. I guess the Bethesda controversy was too much.

I really loved FC3, it was such a surprise. I never finished 4 (barely played 2 hours). So i might hop onto this.

Really pumped for this one, Far Cry Primal has been my fav so far but the series is really pushing forward with each console generation.

Blam

Kind of lame that they backed off the villianization of the the white power people. I guess the Bethesda controversy was too much.

I really loved FC3, it was such a surprise. I never finished 4 (barely played 2 hours). So i might hop onto this.
What controversy?

PulseONE

I skipped Primal, but I think I'll be back in for this, looks good to me so far, definitely gonna make use of co op

D3SCHA1N

I don't think they backed off it so much as it was never really there to begin with. Race stuff was never really a story element to begin with, that was all projection and unfounded assumptions by the ill-informed.

Valdega

Have you played Far Cry 4? If so, you should already have a very good sense of how this will play.

I'm finding it a bit hard to get excited about FC5. After having played Far Cry 1-4 + Primal, the formula is getting a bit stale. I was hoping they'd make more drastic changes for this one.

Kadayi

Banned
I skipped Primal, but I think I'll be back in for this, looks good to me so far, definitely gonna make use of co op

Same. I burned out on FC4 and Primal just didn't look like it had enough of a hook to it to draw me back, but this does look to be a lot of fun so I'm on board.

gypsygib

Ubisoft games often have some of the most polish.

sunnz

FC2 is one of my most favourite games, I loved the survival elements ( guns deteriorating) finding diamonds, map system, dark nights, no UI, location and the general tone of the game ( serious)

FC5 looks great and will get day 1 as the location looks great and will be fun to explore but like FC3 still not a fan of the action style gameplay with over the top UI and such ( why do animals have a red glow for example like that dog that came out of the cage)
When will we get an open world game that will have some sort of seasons in play ( winter, halloween, christmas ect...)
Bully is the last one I remember and it was awesome.

Gold_Loot

Fun fact: Doomsday cults have nothing to do with skin color.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

I think that was assumptions based on what we were shown. Personally, I've always been a wait and see type of person with regards to not knowing things for certain.
At the same time, I suppose I can understand why people were assuming, but if you look at the announcement trailer you can spot people who are not white, with the villains.

With that, I think people were quick to jump to conclusions and look for racism where there wasn't any.

Sosokrates

Ubisoft games often have some of the most polish.

No they dont. Not Compared to the best devs like ND, R*, NINTENDO.

However i am still tainted by far cry 3 on the 360 and most assassins creed games.
Im going to give far cry 5 a go because it reminds me of GTA online which I like.
But from the trailers the missions look boring, the story looks like the usual bland ubisoft stuff and gunplay looks clunky.

Last edited:

Valdega

I don't think they backed off it so much as it was never really there to begin with. Race stuff was never really a story element to begin with, that was all projection and unfounded assumptions by the ill-informed.

This. I think a lot of people wanted it to be about racism because that's the hot topic right now but I'm pretty sure it was always about a religious cult.

D3SCHA1N

No they dont. Not Compared to the best devs like ND, R*, NINTENDO.

However i am still tainted by far cry 3 on the 360 and most assassins creed games.
Im going to give far cry 5 a go because it reminds me of GTA online which I like.
But from the trailers the missions look boring, the story looks like the usual bland ubisoft stuff and gunplay looks clunky.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you go into FC5 expecting something like GTA:O....

Palantir

Banned
I think the game looks awesome, and I'm glad to see that it appears to NOT be trying to take a dig at rational, reasonable conservative and/or Christian positions.

The Bethesda thing was controversial and offensive because they clearly tried to jump on the leftist bandwagon of lumping in the positions of ALL conservatives, and Trump himself, with those of a few fringe loons. The vast majority of people have no problem with Nazis being the enemy..but when you have people saying that because you're a Conservative, you must also be as bad as the Nazis, that's absurd. Then when you decry this mischaracterization, they can deflect by saying "Hey! You must support Nazis!"
Anyway, I'm excited to go up against some good old-fashioned, over the top redneck cultists without the devs trying to tell me that they are representative of my political and moral positions.

DarkestHour

Banned
This is oddly the only game I'm mildly interested in so far this year. I really liked Far Cry 3. I have a thing for open world games.

Deuterium

I think the game looks awesome, and I'm glad to see that it appears to NOT be trying to take a dig at rational, reasonable conservative and/or Christian positions.

The Bethesda thing was controversial and offensive because they clearly tried to jump on the leftist bandwagon of lumping in the positions of ALL conservatives, and Trump himself, with those of a few fringe loons. The vast majority of people have no problem with Nazis being the enemy..but when you have people saying that because you're a Conservative, you must also be as bad as the Nazis, that's absurd. Then when you decry this mischaracterization, they can deflect by saying "Hey! You must support Nazis!"
Anyway, I'm excited to go up against some good old-fashioned, over the top redneck cultists without the devs trying to tell me that they are representative of my political and moral positions.

Excellent post, and I completely agree. Although your rational, sober, and well-reasoned argument will not find much traction, here, in which a great number of members espouse an ultra-liberal, secular relativist agenda...and often do so militantly, with little to no charity.

Sosokrates

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you go into FC5 expecting something like GTA:O....
Really ?
It look pretty similar,.running and gunning, flying about in planes with your buddies online like in gta online

D3SCHA1N

Really ?
It look pretty similar,.running and gunning, flying about in planes with your buddies online like in gta online

Well they've yet to reveal how the online PvP works, so there is no footage of running about with buddies (plural) just yet. They showed the coop which is 2 players, and if 2 player coop gave you similar vibes I guess you may enjoy it. There are a few underwhelming caveats to that as well though, because the guest player's 'world progress' (as in the story mission you complete) does not save and the 2 of you will be tethered to one another by proximity so you can't get super far away from each other... I still think the co-op will be great fun though so I'm really looking forward to it. I guess I just wanted to warn you you might want to pump the brakes on expectations if you were thinking GTA:O & FC5 had a lot in common. I can see some similarities I guess on a very basic, general level...

Sosokrates

Well they've yet to reveal how the online PvP works, so there is no footage of running about with buddies (plural) just yet. They showed the coop which is 2 players, and if 2 player coop gave you similar vibes I guess you may enjoy it. There are a few underwhelming caveats to that as well though, because the guest player's 'world progress' (as in the story mission you complete) does not save and the 2 of you will be tethered to one another by proximity so you can't get super far away from each other... I still think the co-op will be great fun though so I'm really looking forward to it. I guess I just wanted to warn you you might want to pump the brakes on expectations if you were thinking GTA:O & FC5 had a lot in common. I can see some similarities I guess on a very basic, general level...

It just had strong gta5 vibes when watching a trailer, I was watching and thought dam this looks like gta5 out in the country side parts.
I would not be surprised if the game does not play out like the trailer portrays it to.

D3SCHA1N

It just had strong gta5 vibes when watching a trailer, I was watching and thought dam this looks like gta5 out in the country side parts.
I would not be surprised if the game does not play out like the trailer portrays it to.

Well I think that trailer was an accurate representation of the gameplay so far as I could tell, but I guess I just didn't get GTA:O vibes from it myself. The trailer was just for the 2 player coop for starters... proper MP will no doubt be far more limited in scope than GTA:O...

I loved Far Cry 4. It's one of the few PS4 games that I've gotten 100% completion on so I'm definitely picking up 5. Did any of you play Primal? Is it any good? I've thought about getting it but I'm not sure if I like the idea of only using a bow and arrow and a melee weapon for the entire game.
I liked Primal a lot, but I did skip Far Cry 4 so maybe that made it feel especially fresh. Like you suggest, the lack of guns does give the game a very different feel, but it's still heavily focused around standard series elements like stealth.

(Somewhat humorously I find Primal's politics a little questionable, but I don't want to get into it here.)

Is this something that actually happened? Looking back at the ad campaign all I see from Bethesda are a lot of comments about Nazis being scum, with the (obvious) note that yes, there are still Nazis around today in America. There's also the (historically accurate) connecting of Nazis with the KKK. Talking about killing murderous racists isn't somehow condemning all of the numerous non-Nazi conservatives in the US, and obviously telling white nationalists to fuck off isn't somehow inherently leftist or opposed to conservatives. This is a popular viewpoint across the US political spectrum. Those people are scum.

Bethesda seems quite clear that they're against Nazis marching in America and that's what the ad campaign was about. The closest thing to what you're suggesting was the writer speaking about his own political views, which doesn't fit your description of an organized anti-conservative ad campaign in the slightest.

Did I miss something? Where did Bethesda suggest all conservatives are Nazis?

Droxcy

I have no clue how to feel about this game. It's Far Cry so I'm expecting the unexpected but Ubi...

edge2

Neo Member
I'll definitely pick it up, but I'm still no sure if I should buy it for PC or PS4. I played FC3 on PC and FC4 on PS4. Both was great.
Decisions... decisions...

Armorian

Banned
I have no clue how to feel about this game. It's Far Cry so I'm expecting the unexpected but Ubi...

Yeah, it's Far Cry alright. Looks like another reskin of FC3, which wouldn't be bad in some interesting/rarely used setting but NA isn't like that to me.

Sosokrates

1.why does there have to be some much text and icons above every player and dotted around, it looks stupid.
2. The gun recoil looks terrible
3. Its looks boring as hell, he flys over some house and kills some baddies in a house? Do you know how many times I have just shot some random guys in a house? A lot.
4. This could be an FPS mode in ghost recon wildlands

I dont see the point in this game, it does not feel new, or improving games similar to it.

Its feels just to samey.

Co op in a open world with shoody gun recoil and overall shoddy shooting mechanics.

Competetion in the games industry is to tough for shoddy genre reshashes not even done that well.

1.why does there have to be some much text and icons above every player and dotted around, it looks stupid.
3. Its looks boring as hell, he flys over some house and kills some baddies in a house? Do you know how many times I have just shot some random guys in a house? A lot.

I dont see the point in this game, it does not feel new, or improving games similar to it.

Its feels just to samey.

Co op in a open world with shoody gun recoil and overall shoddy shooting mechanics.

Competetion in the games industry is to tough for shoddy genre reshashes not even done that well.

It will sell like hot cakes. It will be wildlands all over again.

And you can customize the hud elements.

Aces&Eights

Its feels just to samey.

That's why it's best to play Far Cry with a bow as your main weapon.

astroglide

Because white people are always the villions right? They commit the most crimes

Top Bottom