• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new FFIV DS V Jump scans

haircut

I don't like this defense via marginalization. FFIV is not a game geared strictly to children, and its only shortcoming is that the ability to run made it too short.

The story and characters in FFIV are as good or better than most modern RPG's. It trumps FFXII, for example, in both categories.

edit: But no game can touch Hamlet.

Saoh

Darkpen said:
DO WANT D:!!!!

Can you make one for Cain? Please? Pretty please? Where did you find this clean picture to use? D:?!

:O oh shit you compared a video game to Shakespeare, Roger Ebert is coming for you!!

anyway, i got the pic from the scan in the OP, i had to clone most of the knee and that's why that part is kinda sucky (it's 11pm!). i could make one of Kain maybe, depends on the high-res pic.

Darkpen

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Time. Out.

You did not just compare Final Fantasy IV to Shakespeare. You. Did. Not.
I did D:

Indeed I did

In point of fact, there might have been no Spoony Bard at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain Japanese RPG.

haircut said:
I don't like this defense via marginalization. FFIV is not a game geared strictly to children, and its only shortcoming is that the ability to run made it too short.

The story and characters in FFIV are as good or better than most modern RPG's. It trumps FFXII, for example, in both categories.

edit: But no game can touch Hamlet.

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but I think that's more of a commentary on the state of modern RPG storylines than on FFIV.

In point of fact, there might have been no Spoony Bard at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain Japanese RPG.

I am willing all of the hatred I can muster in what I believe is your general direction.

haircut

Pureauthor said:
Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but I think that's more of a commentary on the state of modern RPG storylines than on FFIV.
Well, I never said it was Shakespeare.

It is a logical fallacy to try to prove something is good by presenting examples of things that are worse. But given that some people enjoy stories in their video games, and given that FFIV has a pretty good story (at least in comparison to other video games), it should be neither funny nor surprising that some of those people would enjoy FFIV's story.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TheJollyCorner said:
I've been calling Cecil "Sess-ill" (like the baseball player Cecil Fielder) since 1991.

It's gonna be hard getting use to "See-sill" :(
?
When did it change?

Sorry, I didn't make it clear earlier. I enjoy plenty of videogame stories - including FFIV.

But I have always, always made a distinction between what I enjoy and what I feel is actually good.

TheJollyCorner said:
I've been calling Cecil "Sess-ill" (like the baseball player Cecil Fielder) since 1991.

It's gonna be hard getting use to "See-sill" :(
uhh the scan shows the pronunciation is the same: it's not pronounced like see-sill

Darkpen

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah. It's pronounced Seshiru.
I always just pronounced it see-sil, personally. I know its wrong, but eh. It's gonna be tough to adjust.

You know, like how Kingdom Hearts killed every FFX fan ever with "tee-dus"

Darkpen said:
I always just pronounced it see-sil, personally. I know its wrong, but eh. It's gonna be touch to adjust.

You know, like how Kingdom Hearts killed every FFX fan ever with "tee-dus"
Heh, I always said 'Cess-il', but only cuz I knew a "Cess-il". I always said "Tee-dus" because I knew how to read the kana at that time. Though I have suffered years of people looking at me funny for saying it that way.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Pureauthor said:
Time. Out.

You did not just compare Final Fantasy IV to Shakespeare. You. Did. Not.
What exactly is the problem with this? It's totally doable, and in fact I'm sure comparisons could be drawn in cases. (Dunno if I'd agree totally in this case, but bear with me.) Saying FFIV has similarities or traits of a Shakespearian play isn't the same as saying it is "as good as" or "better than".

Edit: Wait, it's Tee-dus? MIND = BLOWN

RevenantKioku said:
What exactly is the problem with this? It's totally doable, and in fact I'm sure comparisons could be drawn in cases. (Dunno if I'd agree totally in this case, but bear with me.) Saying FFIV has similarities or traits of a Shakespearian play isn't the same as saying it is "as good as" or "better than".

No, YOU have no honour!

But on a more serious note, statingthe characters were 'iconic like a Shakespeare play' sounds a whole lot like a quality comparison to me.

Edit: Wait, it's Tee-dus? MIND = BLOWN

People still don't realize this? I mean, really...

RevenantKioku

Pureauthor said:
No, YOU have no honour!

But on a more serious note, statingthe characters were 'iconic like a Shakespeare play' sounds a whole lot like a quality comparison to me.
Well, it wasn't a big sentence, more detail should have been gone into instead of name calling. :D

People still don't realize this? I mean, really...
How would you? His name isn't said in the game at all.

RevenantKioku

Pureauthor said:
I called no one any names. :p
Might as well have. I think he's crying now!

Trailer, the way it was written in Japanese, KH...
Was he in KH1? Wow, I played that but don't even remember it.
And I never watched the trailer. (Trailer? WTF?) And unless you play in Japanese...(I did play International, although that's all in English.)

Darkpen

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It wasn't a quality comparison :|

Why do people have a tendency to misunderstand me on these boards :| I swear

RevenantKioku said:
Was he in KH1? Wow, I played that but don't even remember it.
And I never watched the trailer. (Trailer? WTF?) And unless you play in Japanese...(I did play International, although that's all in English.)
Yes, he was on that island that you start on, along with Wakka and Selphie, in case you didn't notice them either.

MCD

Darkpen said:

Yes, he was on that island that you start on, along with Wakka and Selphie, in case you didn't notice them either.

Fixed.

ethelred said:
Huh? Cid was playable?

Cid

Cid from Final Fantasy IICid (シド, Shido?) is a character who appears in nearly all Final Fantasy installments. Although he is rarely the same age, and never the same individual, he is usually presented as an owner, creator, and/or pilot of airships and provides transportation to the main characters and their party members at various points of the game. In the second game, he has a friendly relationship with a woman named Hilda; he also has a close relationship with a woman of the same name in the ninth and eleventh installments.

Cid does not appear in the original Final Fantasy I; however, he is mentioned in the subsequent re-releases on the PlayStation (Final Fantasy Origins) and the Game Boy Advance (Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls). In Final Fantasy II, Cid is a non-playable character and a freelance airship pilot. Cid reappears in the "Soul of Rebirth" subgame in Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls for the Game Boy Advance, which takes place during the final parts of the main game. Cid also appears in Final Fantasy III as Cid Haze, a non-playable character.

The Super Nintendo installments feature Cid in a greater role. In Final Fantasy IV, Cid Pollendina is a playable character, the first playable Cid in the Final Fantasy games. In Final Fantasy V, Cid Previa is a non-playable character and elderly inventor. In the original video animation Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals, the late Cid's brain has been stolen by Ra Devil to be used in the villain's plans. Lastly, in Final Fantasy VI, Cid del Norte Marguez is a non-playable character and researcher for the Empire.

In Final Fantasy VII, Cid Highwind is a spear-wielding main character and an airship pilot. He also appears in the game's prequel Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII and the sequels Final Fantasy VII Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. An alternate version of Highwind appears in Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II. A memory version appears in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and its PS2 remake. In Final Fantasy VIII, Cid Kramer is a non-playable character and the headmaster of Balamb Garden. In Final Fantasy IX Cid Fabool, is the ruler of Lindblum and is playable in a small sequence on Disc 3.

In Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2, Cid is the leader of the Al Bhed tribe, the father of Rikku and Brother, and Yuna's uncle. In Final Fantasy XI, Cid is featured prominently in the world of Vana'diel as a non-playable character. He is the chief engineer of Bastok who created the airships. Final Fantasy XII features Doctor Cidolfus Demen Bunansa is a non-playable character and, for the first time in any Final Fantasy game, a villain and an enemy boss. There is also a character by the name of Al-Cid Margrace, who is the heir of Rozarria and friend of Larsa.

The name Cid also appears in Final Fantasy games outside the main series. In Final Fantasy Tactics, Cidolfas Orlandu is a playable character, a powerful general described as the only man that Ramza Beoulve's father, Balbanes, could truly trust. His stat growth, in comparison to other characters in the game, is immense and often disproportionate.

In Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Cid Randell is the leader of the Judges who uphold law in the game's world Ivalice, and can be acquired as a player character. In the spin-off, Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, there is different playable character named Cid, who belongs to the race of Rebe (the first non-human Cid in the series) and is the leader of the Gari Clan.

Cid also appears in: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (as Dr. Sid), Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Chocobo Racing, Chocobo's Dungeon 2, Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales,Treasure of the Rudras, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, and Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (as Ducktor Cid).

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Darkpen said:

Actually I would side with you, its almost shakespearean in a tragic sort of way...

Evil guy really good guy (Cecil) conflicted and torn

Tragic love interest

Big bad guy actually a plot twist

Really, it reads like a play!

(Thats what I loved about old Final Fantasy, while similar in the effect of groups of heroes they were all unique in their own predictable ways :D )

Darkpen

Banned
lsslave said:
Actually I would side with you, its almost shakespearean in a tragic sort of way...

Evil guy really good guy (Cecil) conflicted and torn

Tragic love interest

Big bad guy actually a plot twist

Really, it reads like a play!

(Thats what I loved about old Final Fantasy, while similar in the effect of groups of heroes they were all unique in their own predictable ways :D )
This is exactly what I meant when I said it was like a Shakespearean play :) Its all iconic, its all predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless. They're all archetypes of somekind, and thus, the story plays out like folklore, like something you would read in a children's book. There isn't some giant thematic moral or anything, its just good against evil, and evil that isn't actually evil at all. Its about personal triumphs, courage, jealously, uncertainty, betrayal, forgiveness, sacrifice, love, hate, and family.

That's FFIV in a nutshell, along with about ten million other stories.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Darkpen said:
This is exactly what I meant when I said it was like a Shakespearean play :) Its all iconic, its all predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless. They're all archetypes of somekind, and thus, the story plays out like folklore, like something you would read in a children's book. There isn't some giant thematic moral or anything, its just good against evil, and evil that isn't actually evil at all. Its about personal triumphs, jealously, uncertainty, betrayal, forgiveness, sacrifice, love, hate, and family.

That's FFIV in a nutshell, along with about ten million other stories.

Glad that someone here got you :D

I like how you worded it more, I just woke up at ten when I work tomorrow >.< So I am trying to stay incoherent so that I can get back to bed but it wont happen... maybe I should have the supper that I have been putting off since... well supper time lol

Jiggy

duckroll said:
No. Characters that "die" or leave the party in the game (doesn't everyone lol) in FFIV DS will leave behind abilities that can be inherited into another character of your choice. What is shown is indeed the Twins ability.
The character of my choice? So I could give Twin to, like, Cecil and Edge if I felt like it?

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
The character of my choice? So I could give Twin to, like, Cecil and Edge if I felt like it?

The interview notes that Twin pairings mixing Cecil, Kain, and Edge aren't being allowed because it would add unwanted homosexual undertones to the game.

icechai

wow these DS remakes are looking awesome!! only FF remake that could top this would be when they finally decide to remake VI... one can dream :)

Saoh

icechai said:
wow these DS remakes are looking awesome!! only FF remake that could top this would be when they finally decide to remake VI... one can dream :)

eeehhh, im pretty sure they will. and they will call it part of their 20th Anniversary collection.

first was 3, now 4, it wouldn't surprise me to see them making 5 next year.

Top Bottom