• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXIII + vs XIII HQ scans (56k beware)

LordK

Kinan said:
I'm quite sure this is a real-time Lightning:

2qdnznn.jpg

Translation would be grand!

Nah, that's from the E3 trailer from way back. That scene was totally pre-rendered. Sorry :(.

Kinan said:
I'm quite sure this is a real-time Lightning:

2qdnznn.jpg

Translation would be grand!

absolutely not real time, its from the cg sequence inthe first trailer...which did have real time parts

Also, I kind of doubt those two shots are real time, because from what people are describing they seem like a sequence in the trailer...its the obscure angle which might be muffling the model quality

tnw

Banned
I'll admit that the developers are quite skilled, but it just bothers me how Japanese all the people look. This girl, everything about her, is so japanese. bleah.

SolidSnakex said:

Loudninja

nelsonroyale said:
absolutely not real time, its from the cg sequence inthe first trailer...which did have real time parts

Also, I kind of doubt those two shots are real time, because from what people are describing they seem like a sequence in the trailer...its the obscure angle which might be muffling the model quality

it is realtime they even said it in the article.

Acosta

Versus is looking incredible and very interesting (it has a different "something" looking at the characters and scenarios). The pics of Sasuke and female are real time models for sure, which is really nice are they are very detailer and not too far from the CGI model.

Not that FFXIII doesn´t looks impressive, but I have a little more interest for Versus. Hope they can deliver with both.

tnw said:
I'll admit that the developers are quite skilled, but it just bothers me how Japanese all the people look. This girl, everything about her, is so japanese. bleah.

Hasn't it been like that since FFX?

Mohonky

What the hell is with the Final Fantasy. Ok are these two different games, is one a side story or sequel? wtf is going in this series?

tnw said:

what's wrong with looking japanese? I really like that girl's design, and many other agree

sakuragi

Banned
I guess Namura's talents truly shines when he has a capable hardware to materialize his vision, design wise. Plus, you can see that his talents are growing with every new game he's worked on. (level up LOL) Regardless, I still love his previous works.

tnw

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Hasn't it been like that since FFX?

it's been like that since FFVIII really

:/

what's wrong with looking japanese? I really like that girl's design, and many other agree

there's absolutely nothing wrong with looking japanese. It's just that their trying to make non-japanese actors.

It's like anime, where all the people are 'white' but absolutely everything is japanese. it's just weird.

zoukka

Himuro said:
TETSUYA NOMURA IS BACK. He's back to doing awesome character designs without relying on belts and zippers!

I never thought I'd see this day!

2ic38cp.jpg

You serious ? They all even wear same coloured clothes.

I really like those XIII shots. Very bright, sunny FFX-vibes come in mind. Makes you wanna depart on an adventure :)

Whereas VSXIII looks unbelievably detailed, but even duller than AC.

Ainaurdur

tnw said:
I was thinking perhaps a Japanese/Irish blend... I like what I've seen of her so far. It's so nice to see these new Famitsu scans, more quantity and quality.

sakuragi

Banned
tnw said:

WHAT? This girl is gorgeous and she looks like a mix blood Eurasian. HOT.

Desi

sakuragi said:
I guess Namura's talents truly shines when he has a capable hardware to materialize his vision, design wise. Plus, you can see that his talents are growing with every new game he's worked on. (level up LOL) Regardless, I still love his previous works.
I actually think it has more to do with him (or someone) limiting the use of his "style". Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy XI are other examples where his work looks superb but don't stray into the realm of "underground urban pop mix".

Whereas VSXIII looks unbelievably detailed, but even duller than AC.
I'll have to agree. Tons of detail like that great meeting room but tons of dull areas. Which is awkward because city life is anything but dull. Find a picture of Hong Kong, Atlanta, even take one out of your window. None of which have such a bland look. Feels kind of backwards.

zoukka

Himuro said:
What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

I dunno. Maybe it just underlines the fact that those characters are a straight rip from any cliche-manual. As you or someone else mentioned in the other thread. Theres the angs-sasuke, older/bearded elder, spunky little brat and a nerdy calm character. That wears glasses....

Somehow it just doesn`t seem too original or great. And I`m not bashing Nomuras style in general anymore.

But to someone who isn't familiar with those things, it probably all just makes it look more exotic. I just think it looks uncreative. Very pretty though.

Yep. I cannot deny the fact that those screens look SPECTACULAR. The characters just aren`t so good. And I`ve said it many times that they look like your average J-rockers/poppers.

I have a vibe that versus 13 world's is more dense and detailed compared to ff 13 from these scan. final fantasy 13 have great looking and expansive world. but ff v13 seems to be contained in probably one or two cities, but very dense with detail

tnw

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
ehhh?

Not really, the style is...but the face could be french etc

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking aout the medusa-styled chapatsu colored hair, the blue contact lens colored eyes. all of those acessories just look really japanese.

and the guys with the hair-through-a-blender haircuts. Right off anywhere'sville, japan.

the body types/physiques of the people are all japanese too.

But to someone who isn't familiar with those things, it probably all just makes it look more exotic. I just think it looks uncreative. Very pretty though.

jiggle

nelsonroyale said:
are these just the dengeki scans...or are the famitsu ones there as well..?

Famitsu
that means we'll be seeing some (tiny) direct feed pics on their site in a few days :D

Dante said:
One thing is for sure VS. is approaching XIII on my most wanted list :D

I've never understood why people didn't seem to be more interested in Versus. It's always sounded really good and Nomura is really going in a completely different direction with it from other FF. It suits me well because i've always wanted them to do a modern FF and that's exactly what this is.

Defuser

sakuragi said:
Nomura haters are just hating his fetish design of belt & zippers. I meant which designer don't have fetish of their own? Falcoon got a Big collar design fetish but quite capable other than being a designer,same goes for Nomura.

SolidSnakex said:
I've never understood why people didn't seem to be more interested in Versus. It's always sounded really good and Nomura is really going in a completely different direction with it from other FF. It suits me well because i've always wanted them to do a modern FF and that's exactly what this is.
Not everybody is a fan of dark scenarios + lots of people hate Nomura lolz.

Callibretto said:
I have a vibe that versus 13 world's is more dense and detailed compared to ff 13 from these scan. final fantasy 13 have great looking and expansive world. but ff v13 seems to be contained in probably one or two cities, but very dense with detail
Wrong, VsXIII will have a expansive world considering Nomura stated the team put a airship on the map. You don't need a airship just to travel between 2 cities right?

Loudninja

developers behind some of Japan's biggest franchises will be delivering sessions at next month's Game Developers Conference, boosting the line-up for the February event.

Two of the team behind Square Enix's epic Final Fantasy franchise will be at the event, with general manager for technical research Taku Murata discussing the company's work on a new game engine for FF XIII.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32343

hell yeah!

Dante

SolidSnakex said:

Well for me.......The initial trailers, I gotta say XIII wowed me more. The fast paced battle with Lightning, The vibrant colors, etc.....But these shots of the VS. gang and the Mafia esque overtones are definetly getting me hyped. It's also apparant that a TON of budget and resources are being poured into it, I guess at first I thought it might just be a half assed effort like Dirge which doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Defuser said:
Wrong, VsXII will have a expansive world considering Nomura stated the team put a airship on the map. You don't need a airship just to travel between 2 cities right?

my mistake then, I honestly thought the airship thing is refering to ff 13 not versus 13. oh well

sakuragi

Banned
Defuser said:
Nomura haters are just hating his fetish design of belt & zippers. I meant which designer don't have fetish of their own? Falcoon got a Big collar design fetish but quite capable other than being a designer,same goes for Nomura.

I really don't mind this stuff since its a change of pace and different from all the chibi/cute/kiddy designs. thats why I love his work and the artist from the Shin megami tensei series. Its a breath of fresh air.

zoukka

Himuro said:
So what are you complaining about? We've got a group of guys who look like they're about ALL ACTION, there's no bossy old guy in the group, and they're stylish without looking like metrosexuals.

I mean, complaining about a story in a jrpg not being original is like complaining about the sky being blue: who cares?

I just wondered why you praised Nomuras work in this particular title. And you answered so there we have it.

But I dont care if the characters looked like cabbageheads as long as the story would be compelling.

I've never understood why people didn't seem to be more interested in Versus.

Kingdom Hearts. Though I finished them both with almost 100% secrets :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Translation of Pages 1 and 2.

Page 1
“Fabula Nova Crystallis”: a Latin phrase meaning “A New Crystal Story”.

The newest edition in the “Final Fantasy” series has developed into a huge project of unprecedented dimension.

The highest peak of RPGs will carve out a new history.

Page 2

After about a year of silence, we deliver to you information about these two titles underdevelopment for the Playstation 3.

New characters are revealed one after another!

Created by a large force, Cocoon, the floating shell in which society was shut away.

Enormous machines and life forms borne by the Crystal protect this place, and it prospered.

Regarded as a symbol of peace, the Crystal chooses individuals, attributes them their fate, and has created a world where it's will is carried out.

And, she was chosen.

As the species of enemy who would destroy the world.

She speaks nothing of herself, she is simply, "Lightning".

A project which encompasses multiple titles.

The 13th edition in the Final Fantasy series has developed into multiple titles. Collectively, they are called “Fabula Nova Crystallis”. Each game's setting, characters, and system are different. However, there is some similarities in their mythologies, and discovering these in different ways in the different titles is one of this magnificent project's most attractive elements. Three titles are in development, FFXIII, FFversusXIII, and FF Agito XIII. Regarding FFXIII, within this year video footage running on PS3s is scheduled to be released to the public. Let's satiate your appetite with some more information!

That's the only really useful info :lol

Dante said:
Well for me.......The initial trailers, I gotta say XIII wowed me more. The fast paced battle with Lightning, The vibrant colors, etc.....But these shots of the VS. gang and the Mafia esque overtones are definetly getting me hyped. It's also apparant that a TON of budget and resources are being poured into it, I guess at first I thought it might just be a half assed effort like Dirge which doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Nah it's defiently not a Dirge situation. Versus has a really impressive team.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3)
Tetsuya Nomura (Director, Character Design)
Shinji Hashimoto (Producer)
Takeshi Nozue (Movie Director)
Yoko Shimomura (Composer)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706153p1.html

And Nomura's recently siad this about the Versus team.

Nomura seems to be confident in his team's ability to deliver with Versus, though. "We still haven't announced the Versus team, but there are some well-known members in there, so it will become a good product. Also, we're getting advice from the team working on FFXIII, which is being developed first, so we're progressing well."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/837/837350p1.html

Ceb

neorej said:
After they deliver these two games, FF-fans worldwide will go "VII? What VII?"

I'm kinda hoping there is no FFVII remake or sequel in the pipeline. Both of these games look so interesting - imagine how crazy FFXIV and FFlatinXIV could look.

The Versus character designs are absolutely amazing. Best in the biz. The real-time pic(s) are fantastic as well. Very little drop in detail from the CG models, lots of yummy particles. Let's hope that their facial expressions animate accordingly and aren't just locked to one or two positions.

I'm more psyched for Versus at the moment, but FFXIII should be a classic RPG. You also have to take into account that we've barely gotten a glimpse of that game so far.

Dante

SolidSnakex said:
Not a chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if an E3 unveil at the Sony Press Conf would happen. Seems about right in terms of a timeline.

I'd imagine this GOW3 and Motorstorm 2 and Team Ico's project wll be their showstoppers.

Dante said:
I wouldn't be surprised if an E3 unveil at the Press Conf would happen. Seems about right in terms of a timeline.

I'd imagine this GOW3 and Motorstorm 2 and Team Ico's project wll be their showstoppers.

When is E3 this year? Last year Square held their party in May so i'd imagine that unless E3 is before that party this year then the new trailers of these 2 games will debut at their own show.

robor

dralla said:
is there any chance they're sticking to the traditional turn-based combat? I thought FFX had the best turn-based combat of all the FF's. It was simple, but deceptively strategic..and sphere grid 2.0 thx

You're in luck cause the guy who designed X's battle system is the same dude designing XIII's battle system; Toshiro Tsuchida shall rock us all.

But seriously....:

FF13-05.jpg

Best main character since FFVI.

FF13-06.jpg

Best Siren design, period.

PLEASE let it be good S-E, don't let me down, you've got me 50% hyped.

Top Bottom