• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXV battle system footage and details, playable characters clarified

Dark_castle

2 mins footage based on the same area as the tech demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlaR7ubfOg

Q: So after all, the E3 2013 trailer was a lie? You can’t actually play like that?

A:You can fight like that. I think in the recent play demonstration we showed several techniques and functions, but at E3 last year the game was running on a prototype environment (Ebony). At TGS 2014 we showed the game running in the actual environment (Luminous). Right now we are in the process of migrating functions from the prototype into it. It will take time to migrate it all. I wanted to show footage in the actual environment as soon as possible, so I ended up showing something that is in the midst of migrating. The video shows actual footage, not an idealized version. It will become more and more advanced from here on out.

Q: Can you go into detail about the “holding down the button” issue? Is it really okay to just hold the button down?

A:It’s not that simple! (Laughs.) Yes, when you continue to hold down the guard button, you can basically auto-guard and evade, but it consumes MP. You can’t infinitely evade. You have to think about timing, when it’s a good idea to attack or evade. Also, you aren’t invincible. There are attacks you can’t avoid. In those cases, there are also essential technical evasion methods.

Q: What about attacks?

A:When you push the attack button, you invoke the standard combo. You can change the actions by using it in coordination with the directional buttons. The actions change depending on your circumstances—things like whether you’re guarding and whether the timing is right, (imagine in this circumstance: when you’re guarding, you might get a chance to counterattack or something), or if your companions are nearby.

Q: Can you change the operational character?

A:Not in its current specifications. Everyone on the development team thoroughly looked into an Active Cross Battle system that made free use of attack, guard, and co-op functions, but as a result they arrived at the conclusion that changing characters would be too difficult. In order to create a new and interesting battle system, we ended up not being able to put in the character switching.

Q: Is jumping in?

A: It is. Considering PlayStation 4 has plenty of buttons, there is an independent jump button.

Q: What about free running?

A: It’s there. Except for the character switching, everything that was in the E3 2013 trailer is still there. All the cool actions like the weapons barrier that surrounds Noctis called “Phantom Sword,” and the short warps and jumping from the Behemoth battle are in the actual game. We’ll release more information later on, so please look forward to it.

Q: What about weapon selection?

A: You set them yourself before battle. You set each weapon considering what actions you can use with which weapons. You can only determine one weapon from the ones equipped to be your main one, but that weapon will come with techniques which can be invoked at your discretion in battle. Besides the basic assault button (attack), you can invoke techniques with the technique button.

Q: I can’t tell if it’s more like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy Type-0. Which is it?

A: We explained that when you push the attack button, you invoke the standard combo, which is similar to Type-0. Considering the battle system as a whole, however, it is different from both Type-0 and Kingdom Hearts.

Q: Is it being simplified for casual users? Is is still an action RPG?

A: In order to widen its appeal, we’re developing the game aware that anyone can immediately be able to play it, however the game as a whole is not casual. Because it’s a core game, we have casual controls. If you obtain good weapons and level up, you won’t have to worry about clearing the main scenarios.

Q: Will you listen to feedback from the demo version?

A: We want to reference your feedback during development, but how we’re going to do that is still under review.

Q: Haven’t you been poor at putting out information?

A: If our fans are uneasy about the information we have released, then our ways of issuing information may in fact be poor. Even though we didn’t have a lot of time, I wanted to make clear the current situation. In the future, our information releases might be poor, but I think we can receive your approval.

Additional details were shared on cooperative chains, parrying, and other general information.

“There are systems we want to tell you more about.”

Final Fantasy XV’s Coperative Chains & Growth

“The co-op moves aren’t one-offs, you can do them continuously.”
“Invoking co-op moves is automatic, but it’s necessary for the player to aim their mark.”
Turning to the Side = The Concept of Parrying

“To connect a co-op move while avoiding an enemy attack, you have to keep an eye out for an indication when to invoke it.”
“You can’t auto-parry.”
“It feels accomplishing to pull of a co-op attack from a parry.”
More details to come later.

General

“Even though there are parts from Versus that we have ended up changing, we’ve developed them in more interesting ways, I want you to look forward to it.”
“I get reports everyday from development staff about what was said on the internet. If we have material, I’d like to release development information again in a live broadcast like this on November 1.”
“Next month they’ll release information from other development members.”
“Development progress is at 55%. Final Fantasy XV has entered the phase where they are mass producing resource material. After that, it’s a fight against the amount of resource material and time. We are also hiring people to help make Final Fantasy XV, so interested applicants should check out the homepage.”

Source: http://gematsu.com/2014/10/final-fantasy-xv-director-addresses-fan-concerns-new-gameplay

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
"There's at least an attack button, a defend button, a skill button, and a jump button."

That's good enough for me.

Famassu

Looks awesome. Why is the blood purple
Tho?
If I've understood correctly, that's just Japanese censorship. Having gory red blood in games where you attack humans (and other living beings?) is a big no-no, at least if you don't want some rated Adults Only age limit for the game (which a mainstream game like FF will obviously want to avoid). It could be changed back to red for the western release, a lot of other games have done so.

Hyunashi

Everything sounds decent for me. Sucks Noctis is the only playable, but I would only have played Stella over him anyways.

Famassu

Grimløck;132574709 said:
lol is this true? wtf? one of the major draws of FF (or any RPG) was party management.
There's party management in the form of some FFXII-ish gambits and possible group attacks you can activate at times, just not direct control

No diverse cast and only one playable character, it sounds like it's shaping up to be a decent game but it doesn't sound like the Final Fantasy I know.

wmlk

Only Noctis playable is trash.

Honestly, Noctis is gonna handle like dozens of weapons from what we've seen. Playing as the rest of the cast would be boring and bad from a storytelling perspective.

Basically, FF has some old traditions that don't have to be perfect. I'm excited for change.

Dark_castle

Apparently, the "free-run" mechanic is still in from the Dengeki transcript. From what I remember, Nomura used this term to describe the ability to have a complete free flowing movement over the environment, and we can also free run/climb over the larger size enemies to attack their weak spots.

Nibel

injowk.gif

Dem air dashes. I really like what they've shown today.

Hopefully the Gambits are a form of treasure in FFXV too, if that is what they end up going with. I loved searching the world for more Gambits and finding those ones that pretty much changed everything about the potential of your AI during combat.

some were hard as fuck to find

Any word on if this game will have summons or anything?

Hopefully Square keeps up with their current pace of showing the game off. For the first time since it's reveal, this feels like an actual product that we'll be able to buy someday.

Irobot82

Cool so it's still very KH'ish. As in you only control Noctis. The combat looks much faster in this presentation. I dig it.

I'm glad Capcom decided to go with SE instead of Ninja Theory for the Vergil DMC game.

Seriously, though, this combat looks like fun. Finally interested in this again.

Dark_castle

Hopefully the Gambits are a form of treasure in FFXV too, if that is what they end up going with. I loved searching the world for more Gambits and finding those ones that pretty much changed everything about the potential of your AI during combat.

some were hard as fuck to find

On the contrary, I prefer large majority of gambit options to be quickly available to us. The challenge should come from using the right ones at the right time at the right place, not finding them in the first place.

That's not to say we should not have some rarer ones that's extra useful to certain conditions and what not.

Gbraga

The swords around him is some annoying shit. I hope you can turn that off.

As far as I understand it, it's a move. So you can choose not to use it, but I don't think you can choose to have the same gameplay effects while using and just not see the swords.

cackhyena

It's a sort of barrier move apparently.
Watching, I was constantly distracted. It took me a moment to be able to see what the hell he was doing several times. I could see battles being a clusterfuck for me at points. That on top of all your bros dressing in the same colors. I dunno.

Now that a lot more has been explained, I feel like I just need to play the demo. It sounds like the combat could be quite good, but I need to see how it feels first-hand.

wmlk

Watching, I was constantly distracted. It took me a moment to be able to see what the hell he was doing several times. I could see battles being a clusterfuck for me at points. That on top of all your bros dressing in the same colors. I dunno.

You only see that when guard-mode is on. Yeah it's a bit bothersome but if it's in that case I should be fine.

No words yet.

Don't read into it as if it won't be in the game though. Summons are never revealed early on in Final Fantasy marketing, it's one of the franchise's bigger milestones in terms of marketing reveals, and tends to only appear like 6-8 months before release, and even then, it may not even show how it looks in-game, but just reveals of "this summon will be in the game in some shape/form!"

BadWolf

Fucking sold, the battle system looks fantastic.

Is it just me or does Noctis fight similar to Vergil from Devil May Cry?

I really like this:

Noctis is the only playable character, but his unique combat style and how the party interacts with him in battles is what drives the entire battle system.

Thanks for the translated info, guys!

cackhyena

You only see that when Noctis isn't attacking, or when guard-mode is on. Yeah it's a bit bothersome but if it's in that case I should be fine.
Right, but running into a group of enemies, along with your buddies in the mix, I just see it hard to not be disoriented from time to time. If the camera were further out, maybe it would be better. Hopefully the demo will alleviate my fears.

Top Bottom