• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fortnite PC patch lowers file size by 60 GB

Apparently the current size is about 90 GB so the new size should be 30 GB. The speculation is that duplicate map and skin data is being purged to allow for such a reduction. Will consoles get the same treatment? Should Infinity Ward learn a thing or two from Epic? Or has Epic just been lazy optimizing the size up til now?

Kenpachii

Most of these games save all patches that the game has ever done on your drive so when shit crashes they can restore it with that data.

It's really annoying good they cut most of it.

mickaus

I hope they release something like this on consoles including the switch soon. I just play fortnite in casual bursts and having to install big updates every week or so just means I have to get rid of other games if I want to keep playing on and off.

Would love to definitively know what’s going on here. It’s not anywhere near that big on consoles. Anyway, a nice surprise for PC gamers.
Probably getting rid of duplicate data and maybe, just maybe testing out some of the features of UE5 and smart compression (precursor to direct storage??)

-Arcadia-

Banned
It would be amazing if you loaded it up, and matches just took place on the helicarrier.

Optimization achieved.

fersnake

hope this is real, not like cod. i remember they saying the same thing but never see that size reduction. this update is still having hdd's in mind right?

vkbest

Did someone at Epic invent middle-out compression?

Days gone was 60 GB before and now is around 37-38 from last update, use Unreal Engine too. So its probably because something Epic change in their engine. Probably the shitty update system this engine have where you have to download almost the full game.

Goncas2

Maybe using a combination of compression and other optimizations? Maybe Oddle Texture?

Last edited:
Maybe it’s asset streaming not everyone uses the same skins and animations, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it streamed it in as needed. Unless the article, which I haven’t read, explains how it’s reducing the filesize so dramatically..

The graphics get better with every patch (my kids play daily and it's noticeably better every time). But I can't wait to get 60 gigs back on my PC, although it's probably a lie, everything is nowadays.

Top Bottom