• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Full Metal Panic anime series announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dity

I'd be excited for this if I wasn't 100% sure going back to rewatch the first two series to remember what happened would destroy my nostalgia.

I actually went through the trouble to find/read the rest of the manga, or at least what I think was the continuation of The Second Raid (didn't like the first season, but found Fumoffu the funniest anime thing I've seen).

Will this end with (real spoilers)
Testarossa's ship getting destroyed, and Sousuke's fight with her brother being that "1 in 10 chance" and the alt-reality stuff
? I know there are a few different manga series within FMP, so I'm not sure if I saw the true ending (though it certainly seems like an ending).

Ferox

Neo Member
It's not gonna be like Fumoffu guys, there might be some funny bits here and there but the rest of the story is pretty much like TSR.

Swamped

Banned
What, seriously? Wow, this is news I never expected to hear!

Tbh I'd have been way more excited to hear this about 8 years ago, but i think this news calls for a rewatch of the series!

It's almost as if quality animation studios have talented individuals that can tune tones and styles to fit whatever they are trying to adapt. They aren't some one trick pony or some sort of animating robot who don't understand the concept of context.

Absolutely, but studios don't always adapt the proper tone or art style. I really don't want Full Metal Moe, and especially don't want to see fans bitching about a poor adaptation.

Hope KyoAni keeps it true to the oriignal style if they end up adapting it.

tumblr_muuta7GzHE1rr5vcmo1_500.gif

This episode and the hotspring episode lmao

CorvoSol

Isn't it right after Second Raid that's FMP goes from comedy to dramatic greek tragedy?

Technically there's still the entire Christmas arc, which you can't really write off as being overly dramatic
aside from Tessa getting shut down by Sousuke on her birthday, I guess.
But like, it's not like the series doesn't still have humor after that. The Second Raid got pretty fucking grim at points and it still managed to crack jokes.

oni_saru

Omg yessssssss!!! I loved FMP. Honestly gave up on there ever being a third season (4th with Fumoffu)

This is great news!!!

Eila

This one is cool because it's an adaptation, so there's less of a chance of the sequel souring the good memories like Eureka Seven or Last Exile did.

Can someone properly translate the above sentence? I want to make sure that the interpretation being spread around is correct.

I asked a friend and he said it could be among the lines of "Robo sketch's drawn out announcement (ITO P)' He's not 100% sure however.

Really hope they do this Fumoffu style and have separate seasons for the the flashbacks and the main story. Have zero interest in watching the edgy crap. If people thought TSR was bad...

mAcOdIn

Come on Tessa's the worst.

First off, her archetype sucks, it's the crappiest anime stereotype there is, stupid clumsy girl that's in charge of a military unit despite many among them clearly being suited for the task more than her. That episode where she escapes with that prisoner and meets up with Sousuke and Kaname, it's like the author was trolling the fans at that point. If characters in their own universe can't believe that she's a commander why the hell should I or the audience believe it. So when Tessa's trolling Kaname for laughs the author's pretty much giving fans the finger for being forced to put some pandering teen in charge of a sub for hijinks because of course she shouldn't buy Tessa as being in charge and neither should we. But I guess that's the joke, or appeal, or something.

Tessa sucks on her own too though, always doing stupid crap, if it weren't for her age and silver hair nobody'd like her.

VRMN

Come on Tessa's the worst.

First off, her archetype sucks, it's the crappiest anime stereotype there is, stupid clumsy girl that's in charge of a military unit despite many among them clearly being suited for the task more than her. That episode where she escapes with that prisoner and meets up with Sousuke and Kaname, it's like the author was trolling the fans at that point. If characters in their own universe can't believe that she's a commander why the hell should I or the audience believe it. So when Tessa's trolling Kaname for laughs the author's pretty much giving fans the finger for being forced to put some pandering teen in charge of a sub for hijinks because of course she shouldn't buy Tessa as being in charge and neither should we. But I guess that's the joke, or appeal, or something.

Tessa sucks on her own too though, always doing stupid crap, if it weren't for her age and silver hair nobody'd like her.

Putting aside that her flaws and her development as a character are the source of several very good plot points in the series...the whole thing with Whispereds being really smart but not necessarily having the life experience to make the best use of that knowledge is a major theme in the series that Tessa as a character encapsulates.

That and Tessa kicks a lot of ass in spite of her flaws, winning with her brain even in the early parts of the series.

Hexa

Yo. I just watched this a couple months ago. Never thought this would actually happen. :D
I liked Fumoffu best but I want more of the main story as well. Though I heard it gets even more serious than it has been.

Mortemis

Banned
Wow, didn't see this coming. It's been so long, I completely forgot everything about this series. Except how damn good Fummofu was. Time to rewatch, is this available to stream legally anywhere?

God, I was basically a kid when I watched this but I was dying for waaaaay too long at this. Like shit, I'm cracking up right now thinking of it.

mAcOdIn

Putting aside that her flaws and her development as a character are the source of several very good plot points in the series...the whole thing with Whispereds being really smart but not necessarily having the life experience to make the best use of that knowledge is a major theme in the series that Tessa as a character encapsulates.
I don't think that has anything to do with being whispered. Flip it around and Sousuke's also socially an idiot and he's not whispered, because it's not being smart that makes him or Tessa lacking in life experience it's that they've been used by some military organization since early ages that did that, Tessa may be a whispered but her main problem is that she's also basically a child soldier like Sousuke just an officer.

As for "very good plot points," ehh, I think more like necessary anime plot points is what should be said here. No secret the stuff's aimed at kids so it's no surprise it should star kids, and that's the only reason you even see Tessa. Because if it was trying to be "good" as opposed to pandering Tessa'd be on shore somewhere in a lab building more and more shit and the old guy repeating Tessa's orders would be commanding the sub. That would be the logical thing to do, that's what an organization that extracts that info from whispered would do and the only reason they don't is to pander to the audience and I guess represent some kind of life choice for Sousuke, but mainly for hijinks. Sousuke at least makes some kind of sense, immoral twisted sense as child soldiers are no joke, but skill at killing is skill at killing and you could see why an organization would continue to employ someone adapt at killing as a soldier. It makes logical sense to use a kid able to kill as a soldier and place him in harms way, which is completely opposite to how they handle Tessa who has no actual need, nor affinity, to be involved with any of the action herself.

It'd be like the US sending Einstein out on raids against Nazi Germany nuclear research sites during WW II.

The author sometimes succeeds in making some funny or pointed bits with the characters where they are but I'd say that's in spite of where he's placed them not because of it.
That and Tessa kicks a lot of ass in spite of her flaws, winning with her brain even in the early parts of the series.
Again, I think her winning with her brain is, again, it's anime, is launching your best super bad ass robot unmanned to some of your men, who've never used it and are already pinned down in a firefight winning with your brain really? The whole situation shouldn't exist and the solution's equally silly.

Look, I don't want to be too hard on the show, I enjoyed it. It's funny. But I think if you're going to have a character who I need to like or respect because she's smart then she needs to be smart, but the universe can undermine that. The FMP universe and how everyone acts in it almost guarantees I can't take any of the characters' intelligence seriously so trying to position a character as the smart one is problematic for me.

Wow, didn't see this coming. It's been so long, I completely forgot everything about this series. Except how damn good Fummofu was. Time to rewatch, is this available to stream legally anywhere?

God, I was basically a kid when I watched this but I was dying for waaaaay too long at this. Like shit, I'm cracking up right now thinking of it.

Funimation has the whole series (S1 Fummofu TSR) on their website. You don't need a subscription to watch the series dubbed unlike other Funimation shows, the OVA notwithstanding.

Village

" Full Metal "

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

" Panic"

Oh alright, that's still cool I liked Fumoffu

* Isn't Fumoffu "

Hmmm, ok sure. Hopefully its interesting.

What happened until TSR is
nothing. Nothing compared to what happens in the rest of the LNs. And her character changes to match what happens.

Honestly, it's somewhat worrisome which studio's going to be working on this adaption, because "Continuing On My Own" could easily be the greatest 6 episode arc ever, or a complete trash of a 3-episodes rushfest.

With KyoAni, you know the studio won't rush stuff unlike a lot of other studios adapting light novel content, and would be willing to even add stuff that makes the original content better.

Novel spoiler :
Once she's officially retired herself out of the Sousuke race and has to demonstrate her competency as a captain in legitimately tough and trying times where their organisation is on the verge of breakdown, Tessa evolves so much that it's not even funny how awesome she becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom