• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Full Metal Panic anime series announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

Honestly, it's somewhat worrisome which studio's going to be working on this adaption, because "Continuing On My Own" could easily be the greatest 6 episode arc ever, or a complete trash of a 3-episodes rushfest.

With KyoAni, you know the studio won't rush stuff unlike a lot of other studios adapting light novel content, and would be willing to even add stuff that makes the original content better.

Indeed. I hope with Gatoh involved this won't happen. I hope they do it over 2 seasons at least.

Indeed. I hope with Gatoh involved this won't happen. I hope they do it over 2 seasons at least.

Honestly, I'm not sure where would be a good stopping point. Continuing on My Own is a great footnote, but it's also
much despair
, and Burning One Man Force is well...
man, am I still salty over Nami
despite the ridiculous awesome that was the final fight. And I think BOMF works better as a mid-series than a season conclusive arc as well.

B.O.O.M

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG jsut saw this...holy shit I'm hyped!!!!!

LOVE this series. What a random yet pleasant surprise. So happy

NeOak

Honestly, I'm not sure where would be a good stopping point. Continuing on My Own is a great footnote, but it's also
much despair
, and Burning One Man Force is well...
man, am I still salty over Nami
despite the ridiculous awesome that was the final fight. And I think BOMF works better as a mid-series than a season conclusive arc as well.

"The death" as a cliffhanger ending of the first season. Something like Code Geass S1 Ep 25 and the scrapped version of R2 which continued at the exact moment S1 ended.

Mortemis

Banned
Funimation has the whole series (S1 Fummofu TSR) on their website. You don't need a subscription to watch the series dubbed unlike other Funimation shows, the OVA notwithstanding.

Awesome, think I'm gonna start this pretty soon while I still have my funi sub, I see that you don't need a sub but I think (?) you need it to watch on ps4.

Hisoka

Me reading the title:

"New Full Metal"
enNtFNI.jpg

"Panic"
d10f505a0a69b2ef3e5b4e608b823a7c.jpg

OH MY
HOOOOOLYYYYYY! Hahaha
Never get a sequel FMA. Stay Godlike as you are, and never get born into this age of fanservice and chinaproductions

ED Cantu

Honestly, it's somewhat worrisome which studio's going to be working on this adaption, because "Continuing On My Own" could easily be the greatest 6 episode arc ever, or a complete trash of a 3-episodes rushfest.

With KyoAni, you know the studio won't rush stuff unlike a lot of other studios adapting light novel content, and would be willing to even add stuff that makes the original content better.

Gatoh has done the series composition and written scripts for some episodes for all the FMP animes, and he said he will write this one too so I'm not too worried about the pacing, I'm sure he knows what parts to omit and when to add more.

My only worry right now is the animation, I hope it's a good studio with a good enough budget.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm bordering between annoyed and slightly pissed that they didn't come out with some basic info either at the announcement or shortly after.

Hydrus

Read title, and thought this would be a sequel to the first Full Metal Alchemist series, finally finishing the open ending. Dammit.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
The movie? It just made it even more open ended.

Also, is the series anything like Neon Genisis? That OP pick makes it look so.

Nah, except for the mechas they are quite different. FMP is more action/comedy oriented while NGE is more serious and there is that alien-ish threat or whatever it was they have to fight (it's been a long time since I've seen it).

NeOak

No, the mechs are like 8 meters tall (around 3 stories high) in the novels. Anime increased the size for recognition and familiarity.

Protagonist isn't Shinji.

There is no religious related plot or anything. Just a fictionized version of war with stuff that "shouldn't exist but it does".

It gets waaaay more hardcore and grittier, which is one of the theories as to why the rest of the novels haven't been animated.

Far from it. There's military action, but then there are high school stuff that revolves around the main character because he's a fish out of water when it comes to normal teenager stuff (he grew up as a child soldier). The second season basically takes that part and turns it up to 11 and it's hilarious. Season 3 is more grounded, but still has its humor sprinkled in.

NeOak

Far from it. There's military action, but then there are high school stuff that revolves around the main character because he's a fish out of water when it comes to normal teenager stuff (he grew up as a child soldier). The second season basically takes that part and turns it up to 11 and it's hilarious. Season 3 is more grounded, but still has its humor sprinkled in.
Fumoffu (S2) is the sidestories.

Story wise: S1->TSR with Fumoffu as side stories from the first 5 books.

petran79

Banned
I remember that in the Second Raid the main enemies were two female soldiers but in the novel they were male

Hope they dont make any similar changes this time

NeOak

I remember that in the Second Raid the main enemies were two female soldiers but in the novel they were male

Hope they dont make any similar changes this time
FMP! Sigma (the manga) changed them to be Russian.

Say hi to "Lena" and "Julia".

Hydrus

No, the mechs are like 8 meters tall (around 3 stories high) in the novels. Anime increased the size for recognition and familiarity.

Protagonist isn't Shinji.

There is no religious related plot or anything. Just a fictionized version of war with stuff that "shouldn't exist but it does".

It gets waaaay more hardcore and grittier, which is one of the theories as to why the rest of the novels haven't been animated.

Hmmm... sounds interesting and If the anime continues in this direction I'll give it a shot!

Geist-

Wow, I had no idea this was happening and just started reading the manga yesterday. Enjoyed the anime, so excited to see it adapted in its entirety.
Call me when it's Fumoffu part 2.

photo.jpg

And I say that as someone who genuinely liked normal FMP
I love every season, but Fumoffu is a masterpiece.
lylELKv.gif

I've never watched this, but it came to my attention recently, so it's on the list of stuff I want to get to soon. Feels like a show I'll really like.

The idea that I can get through what's already out and immediatley get to a new series sounds pretty great.

NeOak

Call me when it's Fumoffu part 2.

photo.jpg

And I say that as someone who genuinely liked normal FMP

Wow, I had no idea this was happening and just started reading the manga yesterday. Enjoyed the anime, so excited to see it adapted in its entirety.

I love every season, but Fumoffu is a masterpiece.
lylELKv.gif

Fumoffu is the GOAT in comedy, only rivaled by the Flame Alchemist episode in the original FMA.

The amount of parodies they make is just insane.

GNIKJ6r.gif

Indy and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

cV7yDvC.gif

bc1fef3194e8bc79ba8a06201548684e.gif

emVoxzM.gif

tumblr_n3n5g8yLX91rdfsmyo1_500.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Not at all. Its main character is a badass no-nonsense child soldier type of guy. So the show swaps between two main settings: He's either a badass soldier mecha pilot, or he's handling his other mission of "blending in with society" to protect some high school girl, which he completely blows at because he's been a soldier his whole life.

The high school stuff tends to serve as comic relief while the soldier stuff is good at showing that he is amazing when he's in his element. Later on, the two parts of the show kind of blend together as the plot advances.

It sounds cliche now, but I remember it being hilarious and well animated at the time. I don't know how well it aged.

Kalentan

Fumoffu is the GOAT in comedy, only rivaled by the Flame Alchemist episode in the original FMA.

The amount of parodies they make is just insane.

GNIKJ6r.gif

Indy and the Raider of the Lost Ark

cV7yDvC.gif

bc1fef3194e8bc79ba8a06201548684e.gif

emVoxzM.gif

tumblr_n3n5g8yLX91rdfsmyo1_500.gif

BRB going and rewatching Fumoffu.

I kinda hope they do a full reboot from the beginning. I loved the originals, but I think a cohesive (visually) reboot that goes all the way for a few seasons would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom