• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Futurama episodes premiere on Comedy Central in June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costanza

Banned
New episodes of the resurrected animation favorite "Futurama" will return to Comedy Central in June.

Comedy Central sources confirm to HitFix that Thursday, June 24 at 10:00 p.m. is currently set to be the premiere of the first new half-hour episode of "Futurama"since 2003.

"Futurama" launched in 1999 on FOX and aired through 2003. Adult Swim and then Comedy Central kept the show alive in repeats, with Comedy Central giving a home to extra-long "Futurama" episodes "Bender's Big Score," "The Beast with a Billion Backs," "Bender's Game" and "Into the Wild Green Yonder."

Ratings for the constantly recycled repeats, as well as DVD sales, helped to spur talk of a comeback and, in June of 2009, Comedy Central announced that the network had ordered 26 new episodes to premiere starting this year.

Fan enthusiasm was temporarily tempered by overblown reports that the vocal talent including Billy West, John DiMaggio and Katey Sagal might be replaced for the run of new episodes. Eventually, the full cast reached new agreements and Philip Fry, Bender, Leela and the rest of the "Futurama" gang will sound very much like you're used to them sounding.

Created by David X. Cohen and Matt Groening, "Futurama" won the Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program in 2002.
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-3-4-new-futurama-episodes-premiere-on-comedy-central-in-june

omgggg

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I just put this shit in my calendar with a week reminder. Hooray!

I don't want to be a dick here but judging by the latest Futurama films I think these new episodes will be crap.

Years ago this would have excited me to no end, but those films really shot down my expectations. Such horrible stuff, even worse than new Simpsons episodes.

I'm going in apprehensive after these straight to DVD movies but that means if they're great I will be even happier. Get to hyped up and it will be a disappointment no matter what.

Apath

*Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes*

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
1231380275756.gif

LaneDS

gdt5016 said:
There is a 100% chance this will disappoint---no matter how good the episodes are.

Yeah that doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm not expecting greatness, but if the episodes are good... there will be nothing to be disappointed over.

Thomper

Discotheque said:
I don't want to be a dick here but judging by the latest Futurama films I think these new episodes will be crap.

Years ago this would have excited me to no end, but those films really shot down my expectations. Such horrible stuff, even worse than new Simpsons episodes.
I personally liked most of the movies, but you should know this about them: when they were still doing episodes of Futurama, those were created in the writers room, where everyone was able to pitch in, and the written script was a jumping off point where they kept adding and adding and adding little jokes in. The movies, though, were written by just two or three guys each movie. The budget was slightly smaller, so there was no writing room with the other writers present to add to each script. But as these are 26 new episodes in total, I'm pretty sure they'll have a large group of writers again and so that process will probably have returned, at least somewhat.

The Futurama movies were garbage. You guys are setting yourselves up for massive disappointment (or disillusioned contentment). either way, expecting these new eps to be good is stupid.

fisheyes

I think a major problem with the movies was the length, and the need to make them 'epic' in order to justify being a movie. The 22 minute episodes should, in theory, not suffer from this. I'm cautiously optimistic.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The Futurama movies were garbage. You guys are setting yourselves up for massive disappointment (or disillusioned contentment). either way, expecting these new eps to be good is stupid.

And putting negative spin on something that's not even in viewable form isn't?

Between this and the return of The Boondocks, I'm going to be very happy in the upcoming months.

fisheyes said:
I think a major problem with the movies was the length, and the need to make them 'epic' in order to justify being a movie. The 22 minute episodes should, in theory, not suffer from this. I'm cautiously optimistic.
I fully agree with this. The movies, not including their long, somewhat annoying plots, were funny at the right moments and were very entertaining. 22 minutes is the perfect amount of time for Futurama.

disappeared said:
And putting negative spin on something that's not even in viewable form isn't?

Best predictor for future behavior is past behavior. Futurama "movies" werent very good. So, its not crazy to assume future episodes won't be.

They may very well suck but I'm all for more Futurama. Chances are they'll hit a few laughs along the way. And I love the characters.

I thought we already got new episodes? They are on Sky One in the UK at least. I was disappointed when I found out that there is continuity between them, so you have to see the previous ones to understand what is going on.

DeaconKnowledge said:
New to GAF?

Not at all. :lol

I just never understand why we're so quick to shit all over everythough 'round here. The Futurama movies, admittedly, probably weren't as top notch as they oughta been. But I'm sure the guys still have some good stuff up their sleeves.

Uncle

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I thought we already got new episodes? They are on Sky One in the UK at least. I was disappointed when I found out that there is continuity between them, so you have to see the previous ones to understand what is going on.

Those are the movies cut up as episodes.

gdt

LaneDS said:
Yeah that doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm not expecting greatness, but if the episodes are good... there will be nothing to be disappointed over.

If the episodes are good, I won't be disappointed.

People didn't enjoy the Futurama movies? I thought they were fantastic and on par with the series in every way.

I'm super psyched about this. I'm almost considering having a premiere party with my friends. That's how excited I am.

Jak140

All the Futurama movies were good with the exception of Bender's Game. Disagreeing is not a matter of having a differing opinion, but of you being flat-out wrong.

Blair

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I'm super psyched about this. I'm almost considering having a premiere party with my friends. That's how excited I am.

I'll bust out the sham-pag-in!

Jak140 said:
All the Futurama movies were good with the exception of Bender's Game. Disagreeing is not a matter of having a differing opinion, but of you being flat-out wrong.

If thinking Bender's Big Score was the only decent movie out of the bunch of shit that followed is wrong, then hey I don't wanna be right.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kenak said:
*Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes* *Please don't suck like new Family Guy episodes*

Yeah. I still watch Futurama all the time, but the fact that the movies tried so very hard to rip out the heart of the show, I have a very cautious outlook for the new season. I hope so very much that they're good.

Chao

I liked the first two Futurama movies, thought the third one was meh and hated the fourth.
This has the potential to be the new shitty Simpsons, and that would be a terrible fate for Futurama as a franchise, I hope I'm mistaken.

Fourth season began to suck a little, I hated episodes like "Why Bender shouldn't be on TV" and "Bend Her", so I don't know if the team started to run out of ideas or what.
Also, in the Futurama movies the characters felt different for me. They had a more aggresive? and wise ass attitude or something, I can't really put my finger on it.

Please, go back to the season 2-3 spirit. There's literally an entire universe for them to explore, and that's what was great about Futurama. Simpsons would keep going to a new fair or exhibition every other day and do the same non funny stuff every week since season 9, but there are lots of planets, species and situations that they could pull off on this show.

RevoDS

Amazing, can't wait! Loved all the movies except for Bender's Game, so I'm expecting continued greatness
only to likely have my expectations shattered

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jak140 said:

Really? I only watched the movies once, but what I hated was the ruining of some of the best episodes of the series with pointless retcons. Jurassic Bark and Amy and Kif were obliterated by the movies. It's like they tried to ruin any good feelings one might have had for the show.

Rorschach

The movies were funny. I didn't like the rewriting of history or changing some of the relationships, but they were funny. Plenty of cute Bender moments in Beast with a Billion Backs. "I could just curl up at the foot of the bed." *curls up at Fry's feet* :lol

Scullibundo said:
If thinking Bender's Game was the only decent movie out of the bunch of shit that followed is wrong, then hey I don't wanna be right.
Send this one to the HAL institute; he clearly doesn't have a soul.

Bender's Big Score is the best one and it all went downhill from there.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Jak140 said:

Why is it then all of the Futurama movies are averaging in the low 7's on IMDB, but the original show is sitting comfortably at 9.2 with 26,000 votes?

totoro'd

O-m-g!! Best news i've heard in years (sad life, huh), i'm so excited! And even more excited hearing that the original voice actors are coming back!!!

I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom