• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New game/IP inspired by Uncharted, Rachet, and Zelda - possibly coming to PS4?

HOLY SHIT! this game looks absolutely brilliant!

It's an Indie title called Oliver & Spike: Dimension Jumpers.

excerpt about the game from the developer's site:
Rock Pocket Games said:
Oliver&Spike: Dimension Jumpers is Ratchet&Clank meets Zelda meets Uncharted, wrapped in a mix between Adventure and Platformer with a twist. The twist is the Dimension Jumping. Each world you play on has at least three parallel dimensions to explore and use. Each of these dimensions has its own storyline, quest-arcs, npcs, fauna and flora but most importantly: different physical laws. They are fully explorable and yours to manipulate to get ahead in the storyline.

A nice 10min look at the game and gameplay with commentary: Youtube Link

Summary of the commentary and gameplay in the video:
-Its a 3rd person story driven adventure platformer
-Boss fights are mentioned as well as interactive dialogue (no details on how dialogue works)
-Switch between dimensions on the fly as you traverse the levels
-Puzzle solving elements
-Aiming for consoles,
-They're looking for a partner to help fund the rest of development, so depending on that it could be an exclusive. But they want to be on all consoles and PC and Mac later.
-Uses Unity Engine
-Focused on a digital release, retail would be a dream come true but unlikely
-Seems to be a gem collecting aspect like in a mario game with coins or Crash with peaches
-Terra (normal), Ferma(low gravity), and Aqua(water) dimensions...with even more dimensions later in the game that are more complex
-optional co-op areas in the game
-target audience is everyone of all ages, especially people who grew up with rachet and zelda type games. Going for core gamers, but also their kids.

There's also a trailer for the game: Youtube Link

Gif and some screens:

iblNNkMSrtktRR.gif

Reason I mentioned PS4 is because of the recent news of Unity coming to Sony systems this year, and this game is using Unity engine. But they are looking for a partner. Maybe we should all tweet Yoshida see if he's interested :p

Really excited for stuff like this and Knack, hope these kind of games make a comeback, with unique ideas. Would love a next gen Crash Bash type game too >_>

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
'inspired by' is nice but we'll have to see if it's executed properly. you mix that much up there's a shitload of bad end products you could have.

Kunan

Oh wow this looks great! Any time I hear Ratchet & Clank, I'm on board.

Dimension jumping looks fun!

Gadirok

Hopefully wiiU or Ps4.

I hope this isin't the last time we hear from this game as it looks very promising. Someone should pick it up between Sony or Nintendo.

Looks nice visually, but those physics look terrible. I don't care how nice it looks if the platforming is as bad as what was in that video.

what was wrong with the platforming? it looked perfect for the style the game has, I don't think its fair to expect a shit load of animations.

Salsa

it's an indie game, of course it doesnt compare graphics-wise to AAA, but it's damn impressive on it's own

Madouu

I feel like I've seen this already.

edit: Yeah, I really liked the concept of the game. It's pretty nice but it also feels like it would need quite a bit of bug testing. We need more puzzle-solving-in-dungeons kind of games like this :)

mantidor

I don't like the art style, but the gameplay can be great if they really pull the concept of dimensions to another level, not just a light/dark world stuff.

Speaking of which, if I ever made a game inspired on Zelda, is the last thing I would mention, those are some big shoes to fill, they are so big not even Zelda itself can fit them :p

I feel like I've seen this already.

edit: Yeah, I really liked the concept of the game. It's pretty nice but it also feels like it would need quite a bit of bug testing. We need more puzzle-solving-in-dungeons kind of games like this :)
Mmhmm. Could be cool though. Will keep it on my radar.

Riposte

For some reason the art reminds me of those exclusive western platformers on the (original) Xbox. This is in no way a compliment.

Tagg9

Looks alright, but listing a random bunch of games that "inspired" it is pretty redundant.

I'm making a game that's Final Fantasy meets Sly Cooper meets Halo. Who wants some?

shaowebb

Seems to be the current thing to use dimension designing.

Guacamelee, Mighty Switch Force, Gianna Sisters, Quantum Conundrum...sooooooo many games are using this gimmick now. Kind of wish they'd have shown something creative they were doing with it in 3D that wasn't done already by the 2d folks who beat them to it. As is...novel and nice looking, but I didn't see a lot of uses shown off for this mechanic no matter how well made it was.

They should setup a tech demo illustrating more elaborate puzzles and terrain options with this for their next showing.

She was saying all the right things (except uncharted), like colors, core gamer, challenge, unforgiving, platforming.
It looks like a fun concept, it'll all rely on how interesting the puzzles are and how good the gameplay is.

Do you know how long I've been wanting a traditional platformer like this? This game reminds me of Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and Conker. In other words a platformer where you have only 2 basic attacks, a jump, and some special thing about the character.

I'm totally behind this game. I'm guessing once this game goes through some development after getting a publisher, the physics will improve as well as the graphics (which already looks stunning for an indie game).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Reason I mentioned PS4 is because of the recent news of Unity coming to Sony systems this year, and this game is using Unity engine. But they are looking for a partner. Maybe we should all tweet Yoshida see if he's interested :p

That is such flawed logic lol. "Possibly" in the thread title is misleading; should've said "This game should come to PS4" instead (at least).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you know how long I've been wanting a traditional platformer like this? This game reminds me of Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and Conker. In other words a platformer where you have only 2 basic attacks, a jump, and some special thing about the character.

I'm totally behind this game. I'm guessing once this game goes through some development after getting a publisher, the physics will improve as well as the graphics (which already looks stunning for an indie game).

Yeah, the visual style brings to mind those games, too. I hope it comes to the PC.

That is such flawed logic lol. "Possibly" in the thread title is misleading; should've said "This game should come to PS4" instead (at least).

Yeah I guess. I just want them to find a partner fast, and hopefully that will allow it to come on all systems including PS4 and Vita.

I like it. Platforming looks pretty bland (ledge grabbing!) but the puzzle elements and perhaps dungeon-like design (?) look solid in the demo. I see collectables too? Love me some collectables. Plenty of room for interesting puzzles with these mechanics. I hope they aren't afraid to get rough with them later on.

DOF is annoying in those videos and while the environments look nice some of them (like the above-ground area in the demo) don't really look interesting or are somewhat barren of unique objects (buildings, landmarks, etc.). Not surprising seeing as they have at least 3 copies of each area to worry about though.

As always nice to see some colorful environments as well. On the radar.

Top Bottom