• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New gameplay video of RAGE (The Well)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Bethesda just sent us this new gameplay video of RAGE. No 60 fps as usual :/

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_rage_the_well_gameplay_video-11179_en.html (stream and HQ download)
And youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ui6j35YDbU

Captures from the video:
image_rage-15849-1716_0001.jpg

image_rage-15849-1716_0002.jpg

image_rage-15849-1716_0003.jpg

image_rage-15849-1716_0006.jpg

image_rage-15849-1716_0010.jpg

Funny how the lighting in the bar scene reminds me of a similar scene in Phantom Dust.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
As someone who's not really into FPS games, this may be the first id shooter I'm excited about. I love it when they bring in some RPG elements into other genres. And so pretty! :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jett said:
why no 60fps footage, Bethesda >_<
Fixed. Carmack already said he wanted to show the game at 60 fps and that the animation weren't as good looking at 30. So I'd say Bethesda are the one to blame here.

It's the same areas from the very first showing only now the texture quality has taken a huge dive (or maybe the terrible image compression of gt made it seem so in the quakecon trailer).I also remember the models in the original footage being much more detailed.

Certainly hasn't aged all that well, it seemed more impressive in 2008.

Looks better than what I had feared from other semi recent footage, but meh, it looks like a multiplatform console game I guess.

Gunplay is at least something you can (hopefully) count on from ID, and that is more than what you get from all other recent shooters combined.

Conclusion: it'll have to do by lack of a better alternative.

edit: what's with the nondescript MMO style quest 'bandits invaded the blabla go take care of them plz'.
And taking a stab at their original quake games? (crayola thing) what the fuck ID.

Angry Fork

I'm tired of seeing the same 1 level every new video. Is this the only town in the game or something?

Anyway the atmosphere/visuals are incredible. Looks like a mix of Bioshock and Fallout
best mix ever.
I want to see different stuff though. And obligatory Doom 4 mention.

Looks great!

alterno69 said:
This game looks lame, sorry but to me it does, and the graphics are nothing to write home about.
It runs at 60 frames/second on consoles. That's definitely noteworthy, in my opinion.

Stitch

Gold Member
vpLKC.jpg

heh...

they need to stop playing this with a dumb pad. and enable the megatexture mode because right now it looks like quaketexture mode.

alterno69

Banned
Looks great!

It runs at 60 frames/second on consoles. That's definitely noteworthy, in my opinion.
But the shooting looks boring, and there's nothing i hate more than a game where the main character has 0 interaction with the environment, like when grabing stuff, you push a button and you don't see his hand actualy performing any action, stuff just desapears and is now yours, lame.

butts

It looks really good until you get anywhere close to objects :\ Textures are REALLY bad in a lot of spots.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
There used to be a time when I was genuinely excited for this game. Still, game look pretty good but no way as impressive as it seemed back in the day.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It looks really damn fun.

alterno69 said:
But the shooting looks boring, and there's nothing i hate more than a game where the main character has 0 interaction with the environment, like when grabing stuff, you push a button and you don't see his hand actualy performing any action, stuff just desapears and is now yours, lame.
Well, I think it looks really fun. As for the bolded portion... most games are like that.

BeeDog

I honestly think this game is looking better and better (gameplay-wise, mind you) for every video. The gunplay seems solid, and the hit reactions are sweet. Eager to try this out.

jett

D-Member
I only ever expected good graphics from this, but it seems like the gameplay is kick-ass too. Textures are much lower-res than I expected, but I guess that's the price you pay for 60fps on consoles.

jackdoe

Jin34 said:
Really nice textures there...
I'm hoping that this is just the PC version running at a level comparable to consoles and that for the final product you can up the texture resolution.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BeeDog said:
I honestly think this game is looking better and better (gameplay-wise, mind you) for every video. The gunplay seems solid, and the hit reactions are sweet. Eager to try this out.
Same here.
The weapon variety shown so far is kickass. (Specially that 'enemy controlling thingy')
Bring on the RAGE!

jett said:
I only ever expected good graphics from this, but it seems like the gameplay is kick-ass too. Textures are much lower-res than I expected, but I guess that's the price you pay for 60fps on consoles.
YES!

rdrr gnr

That looked a lot better than the previous footage they've shown. I hope they show off a new environment at E3 though. Less brown please.

BeeDog said:
Yeah, I love the damage reactions. I wish more games had that kind of stuff.

MuseManMike said:
That looked a lot better than the previous footage they've shown. I hope they show off a new environment at E3 though. Less brown please.
The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Not exactly a flower and rainbow setting.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I hate it when games sprinkle npcs around pretending to do stuff until you get close and they look at you like a little lost puppy

I don't know if it was the time passing, or if they're downgrading the game, but this keeps looking worse and worse...

I pretty much lost all interest at this point, only hope left is if there's a demo and I enjoy it.

Inkwell

Banned
The gameplay seems a little slow, but I'm excited for this. So you can shoot someone with a bomb, take control of them, and then detonate them? That was actually kind of cool. I hope I can up the texture quality in the PC version.

I got a nice laugh out of the Quayola Quayons being 64 shades of brown. I'm curious to see what other id throwbacks there are like the Quayola Quayons and the Pinkies.

Margalis

Banned
The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Not exactly a flower and rainbow setting.

Why wouldn't there be flowers and rainbows in that setting?

Water vapor, plants and THE SUN don't exist?

fushi

The animations look really slick, especially when you hit an enemy in some manner. Not much else all too impressive in that video, though.

Margalis said:

It's yet another post apocalyptic world where nothing really has changed, things are just more brown. We got food. We got shelter, entertainment, electricity, economy and technology, tons of ammunition and weaponry to go around but the world has ended!

Edit: Oh, we got people wearing pads on their shoulders. That's all you need right there to be post-apocalyptic.

PnCIa

Seriously, all this bitching about the graphics. Yes, the individual texture looks very low res when you get close. Nothing looks the same in return. You could argue that this "nothing looks the same" thing isn´t such a huge factor anymore. But their artstyle is beyond any criticism imo. The whole package looks awesome :D

Graphics look quite nice, but I really don't like the overused gritty/futuristic/post apocalyptic style. It just doesn't pop to me. To be honest I'm not really liking the gameplay vibe, either. Do we need another one of these games? Its akin to making a vampire movie these days; is just a smidgen of originality too much to ask for?!

Looking much better than previous vids. Animation is still pretty meh for dialog and base acting, but gameplay wise, looks good. Pace feels pretty slow, which I like.

Stitch

Gold Member
Margalis said:

because mad max only had deserts like 30 yeas ago or whatever and now every post-apocalyptic setting needs to look exactly like that!

rdrr gnr

I get that, but how hard would it be to write in some form of an oasis or something into the narrative? They need to find excuses to liven up the palette.

Top Bottom