• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games at MS Gamer's Day: Banjo 3 and Vina Pinata 2 pics leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
RagnarokX said:
Well, vehicles have had a history of making some games bad. It's a legitimate concern. Don't want it to end up being this:
20p5209.jpg

The move to 3d itself killed sonic. I haven't played anything NOT on dreamcast, but I'm guessing that poorly implemented vehicles were just icing on the coffin.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RagnarokX said:
Well, vehicles have had a history of making some games bad. It's a legitimate concern. Don't want it to end up being this:
Well, unlike the 3D Sonic games, Diddy Kong Racing was actually pretty fun.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
duckroll said:
NO! ITT we talk about the injustice that crappy Rare games I don't care about are leaked so early, but NINJA BLADE is not! :(

T_T
That is actually good. When something doesnt leak it means MS has used maximun security to keep under wraps what they believe will be the start of the show.

Orodreth

NeXuSDK said:

thanks

Any news in the gardens size/limitations being lifted?

do clothes affect pinatas more this time like for example wearing helmets to make them stronger and so on? in the first one it was supposed to work but iñm not sure about it.

Also, i think i saw a penguin pinata in the classic setting. Are they not affected by the area weather/season?

{Mike} said:
Still waiting for CBFD 2 or PD 2

Seavor is supposed to be working on something new.

kevm3

Viva Pinata 2 looks good, but Banjo is kind of ugly. I'm not a big fan of the mechanical look they got going on. They should have made it more cartoonish.

Cdammen

VP2 interests me the most. I really liked the original game (except for the really atrocious Swedish voice dubs). It had some irritating quirks but it was really fun when things worked out your way.

I say, keep the graphical style but make it an adult game content-wise even more so than the previous one.

BK3 looked nice. I don't really like the mechanical stuff but it might be fun. Still gonna buy it because I had a fun time with the first game.

Eurgh, not liking the sound/look of Banjo 3 at all now. I wanted a pure platformer, not some vehicle collectathon thingy. I'll wait for some vids but hype -100 after the new pics and GI info. :/

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Katana_Strikes said:
Eurgh, not liking the sound/look of Banjo 3 at all now. I wanted a pure platformer, not some vehicle collectathon thingy. I'll wait for some vids but hype -100 after the new pics and GI info. :/

I honestly don't get why people just wanted Banjo HD. Fuck that. This sounds way better.

Zzoram

I never cared about Banjo (and I don't really like platformers) so a potentially LEGOish-vehicle heavy pseudo-platforming game would actually interest me. Depending on if there are seriously 1600 parts combined into different vehicles, the levels may offer great replay value by using very different vehicles.

NeXuSDK

No english versions, sorry... and don't really have time to translate :)

To everyone disliking Banjo, I have one question: do you like LEGO? If you do, Banjo gives you all the freedom of building like LEGO and actually lets you play around with it in the world, also being essential in missions and multiplayer. It's really fascinating...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm curious about a couple of things..

How the vehicle building system will work... total freedom, or certain constraints defined by blueprints, or..?

And then, also, what the vehicles will be used for. Bonus mini-games (racing etc.) or actually a big part of the game proper?

NeXuSDK

gofreak said:
I'm curious about a couple of things..

How the vehicle building system will work... total freedom, or certain constraints defined by blueprints, or..?

And then, also, what the vehicles will be used for. Bonus mini-games (racing etc.) or actually a big part of the game proper?

No constraints really. Of course there is a certain size to work within (I was told 20 x 20, but don't know if it's the same for the z-axis), but within that space you can place vehicle-parts however you want. Only demand is basically that they don't occupy the same space and that they are connected to each other somehow.

From there on, physics take over. There's really some fun choices you have to make. Do you want to use heavy parts for extra armor or ligther parts for better speed and less fuel use? More engines will give more speed, but you will run out of fuel sooner... unless you place enough fuel tanks, but that will increase the overall weight. And you also have to consider weapons and ammo depots.

Many of us thought it would be the best solution to build the biggest, most badass vehicle for MP (especially since we discovered that fuel was turned off in the MP we played), but actually many of us was tricked by smaller, more flexible and versatile vehicle designs... like a small racer that could also be used as a chopper.

And vehicles will play a large part in completing missions as far as I understand.

Xapati

NeXuSDK said:

To everyone disliking Banjo, I have one question: do you like LEGO? If you do, Banjo gives you all the freedom of building like LEGO and actually lets you play around with it in the world, also being essential in missions and multiplayer. It's really fascinating...

This is what I find really exciting. Btw. tid you get to try the vehicals? Do they handle well? What sort of vehicals did you build?

NeXuSDK

Xapati said:
This is what I find really exciting. Btw. tid you get to try the vehicals? Do they handle well? What sort of vehicals did you build?

Yes, of course... I spend most of my time trying to build and test vehicles. There is still some things that needs to be sorted out, especially with the weapons (they don't always react to surroundings and enemies as you want them to, especially in MP), but I thought they handled quite well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
NeXuSDK said:
No constraints really. Of course there is a certain size to work within (I was told 20 x 20, but don't know if it's the same for the z-axis), but within that space you can place vehicle-parts however you want. Only demand is basically that they don't occupy the same space and that they are connected to each other somehow.

From there on, physics take over. There's really some fun choices you have to make. Do you want to use heavy parts for extra armor or ligther parts for better speed and less fuel use? More engines will give more speed, but you will run out of fuel sooner... unless you place enough fuel tanks, but that will increase the overall weight. And you also have to consider weapons and ammo depots.

Many of us thought it would be the best solution to build the biggest, most badass vehicle for MP (especially since we discovered that fuel was turned off in the MP we played), but actually many of us was tricked by smaller, more flexible and versatile vehicle designs... like a small racer that could also be used as a chopper.

And vehicles will play a large part in completing missions as far as I understand.

That sounds good. I'm curious to see it, and how tradeoffs might play into levels..like maybe building a certain type of vehicle for a certain kind of challenge etc.

I'm also thinking it's prime for a design trading system over Live.

NeXuSDK

I don't recall any specific problems. The primary technical concern was the extremely long loading times, but that was excused initially as they haven't optimised them at all yet :)

NeXuSDK said:

Would you say that referring to the vehicle customization in Banjo as being a lot like spore's character customization only involving vehicles instead of organic creatures is a valid comparison based on what you've seen? I say this because when you say something like "From there on, physics take over" it reminds me a lot of what pretty much takes place once a creature is finished being built in Spore.

Did you find yourself impressed with the game's lighting or other visual aspects like the textures, art style, size of environments? I suppose the more to the point question would be did you find the graphics to be impressive at all?

The physics should be really fun-looking in this game. Man, this shit sounds fucking potentially great! I hope the game allows you to really come up with cool and effective designs to progress, with no one strict way to achieve success.

NeXuSDK

CowboyAstronaut said:
Would you say that referring to the vehicle customization in Banjo as being a lot like spore's character customization only involving vehicles instead of organic creatures is a valid comparison based on what you've seen? I say this because when you say something like "From there on, physics take over" it reminds me a lot of what pretty much takes place once a creature is finished being built in Spore.

Hmm, in a way, but then again, not really. What I mean by physics take over is, that the parts that you use act and functions as you expect. Place the propella on the back and gain speed on ground and in water. Place it on top and you have a helicopter. All parts can be turned in every angle btw.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
CowboyAstronaut said:

Did you find yourself impressed with the game's lighting or other visual aspects like the textures, art style, size of environments? I suppose the more to the point question would be did you find the graphics to be impressive at all?

NeXuSDK said:
I thought Banjo was beautiful, no doubt, although the most impressive game from a technical standpoint. I really like the color palette and art style though, which is very coherent throughout the levels I saw.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11142727&postcount=948

I would like for him to elaborate more if he can :D

Brashnir

NeXuSDK said:
Hmm, in a way, but then again, not really. What I mean by physics take over is, that the parts that you use act and functions as you expect. Place the propella on the back and gain speed on ground and in water. Place it on top and you have a helicopter. All parts can be turned in every angle btw.

So if you put Monster Truck tires on the sides of your vehicle, you can bounce off of walls or even use them to increase speed?

Ramirez

Do the vehicles have any sort of physical attacks, I know the plane had guns on it, but can you actually destroy or damage other peoples vehicles?

NeXuSDK said:

I think I might have just figured out what people call it.

Procedural Animation is basically what Banjo is doing in regards to how the vehicles just functioning as you expect. Just as creatures in spore, regardless of how you design them, also function as you expect due to the game's procedural animation.

I keep making the Spore reference, but not in a way to suggest that Banjo's customization is on the level of spores, but just that there could be signs of a Spore influence with this new direction that Banjo is going with the vehicle construction.

Wow Brashnir, great thinking... never considered that possibility. I suppose in that case you'd have to make sure the wheels would be spinning in a specific direction so it doesn't slow you down as opposed to speeding you up :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
NeXuSDK said:

I fone doesn't like Lego, is there a way to build the vehicles quick so that they are working well enogh for singleplayer?

Orodreth

NeXuSDK said:

Did you get to see possibilities to go underwater?

And woud you mind answering these other Piñata questions:
Any news in the gardens size/limitations being lifted?

do clothes affect pinatas more this time like for example wearing helmets to make them stronger and so on? in the first one it was supposed to work but iñm not sure about it.

Also, i think i saw a penguin pinata in the classic setting. Are they not affected by the area weather/season?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The update thread also says you visit the Arctic and desert enviroments, but just to trap piñata, not to build.

Why DO we have 2 threads on this?

Orodreth

The Innocent X said:
Garden is apparently the same size ( mentioned in the gamers day update thread.)

Ghost said:
The update thread also says you visit the Arctic and desert enviroments, but just to trap piñata, not to build.

That´s a pity then. I hope at least the items limitation is gone.

Yoshi said:
I fone doesn't like Lego, is there a way to build the vehicles quick so that they are working well enogh for singleplayer?

I would imagine the blueprint screens represent basic builds that you can make instantly if you have the right parts, but then like a LEGO vehicle pack you can rearrange those parts (and add others) to improve and diversify them. Or just start from scratch!

NeXuSDK

Brashnir said:
So if you put Monster Truck tires on the sides of your vehicle, you can bounce off of walls or even use them to increase speed?

Bounce off walls? I didn't know Monster Truck tires had that effect in real life :) I don't you'll increase speed by using them, as you get speed from engines, propellas etc., but as far as I remeber, they really helped on the stability of the vehicle.

Ramirez said:
Do the vehicles have any sort of physical attacks, I know the plane had guns on it, but can you actually destroy or damage other peoples vehicles?

Yes yes, of course. You can also destroy specific parts (and that's why you also have to think about how etc. a weapon is attached to your vehicle).

Yoshi said:

Yes, there are prefabricated designs and certain missions will also provide a useful vehicle right away. So you don't need to build from scratch or even alter designs if you don't want to. But man, that's what's so much fun!

Orodreth said:
Did you get to see possibilities to go underwater?

And woud you mind answering these other Piñata questions:

Yes, I did go underwater. Every vehicle will sink if you don't have anything on it that will make it float.

VP garden size is the same as before.

Helmets etc. don't make them stronger, but you will get rewarded when spending time customizing them. Everything you do will make them a little bit more stuffed with candy (even changing their name) and so customization becomes a part of the economic cycle of earning money by sending candy-filled pinatas off to parties.

You have to build the appropriate climate for the animals. Camels will need desert areas in your garden and penguins need artic areas.

duckroll

Ghost said:
Why DO we have 2 threads on this?

Because people keep creating new threads with new info and people continue to bump the old ones. I'll lock this one, the 3rd Banjo 3 related thread in the past 2 days! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom