• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games at MS Gamer's Day: Banjo 3 and Vina Pinata 2 pics leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
First of all, I would like to state that the game looks great, I still dislike the new designs of Banjo and Kazooie, but I guess I'll have to live with this. Anyway, I love the reaction thee screens are getting, I distinctly remember multiple posts of "Omg if Banjo 3 is another collectathon then Rare has lost it" etc in threads preceding this one. Now we get screens and "Omg, where's the collectathon?" You can't please everyone :(

Oh, for the record, I want Jinjos, Jiggies, notes etc, its integral to what Banjo Kazooie is.

Malfunky

Android18a said:
When I saw that tightrope shot, I immediately thought of this:

2rfzg9c.jpg

A little homage from Rare there?

Hah, didn't even notice.

Come to think of it, FLUDD was really freakin similar to Kazooie. Give a little, take a little.

Ironballs

After seeing these screens, I would kill to play Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie again on VC or XBLA. Too bad it looks like its never gonna happen.

KTallguy said:
I think the bubble trees are really nice looking actually. The racing stuff looks great, but I like the whole green landscape shot the best, personally.

The 10 MB pic definitely helps to show off the upholstered furniture look they were going for. In the smaller pic some of the distant trees dont look that different from Mario 64's imo.

bafflewaffle said:
The 10 MB pic definitely helps to show off the upholstered furniture look they were going for. In the smaller pic some of the distant trees dont look that different from Mario 64's imo.

Lol, the sprite trees? You have a rose-colored memory, my friend.

Slavik81

godhandiscen said:
VP hit 500k after the price reduction and before the 360 pack in. Then you also have to take in account the PC version. I doubt it hit 1Million, but since it broke 500k and the show has an acceptable rating, I am pretty sure thats what made MS to green light the sequel.
They expected significantly better, though. Stores were flooded with the things.

tak

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Checked. I saw 4-5 notes. But holy shit. They changed colour and now they're very difficult to see ! They look like part of the environment.
They are hard to see in those screenshots, but I think it'll be different in motion. It looks like they spark.

Banned
Hmm, while the new Banjo screens look nice and clean [could just be bullshots though…] I don't think it's all that impressive visually, and I'm not really keen on the style – some of the things are downright garish. Need to see a video of it really. What's with all the vehicles too? Is that what Rare meant by it not being a ‘traditional platformer’? If so, count me out.

Viva Piñata looks to be more of the same, which isn't a bad thing if you liked the first. I guess they don't have as much of a budget as the first which is why it doesn't seem to have improved much visually. Disappointed to see that the overcast days are making a return – about 90% of my time spent with the game it was either overcast, raining or night-time. What's the point in a bright colourful game if it only looks like that a fraction of the time you're playing?

Love the penguins though!

andrewfee said:
Hmm, while the new Banjo screens look nice and clean [could just be bullshots though…] I don't think it's all that impressive visually, and I'm not really keen on the style – some of the things are downright garish. Need to see a video of it really. What's with all the vehicles too? Is that what Rare meant by it not being a ‘traditional platformer’? If so, count me out.

I sure it's not only that, otherwise it would be a massive downgrade.

Anyway, now some music track is required.

Mdk7

I don't wanna sound harsh but really, i'm not feeling Banjo AT ALL (and i was a big fan back in the N64 times!).
A couple of shots actually kinda reminded me of LittleBigPlanet (even if LBP is far beyond awesome while this one is pretty much unappealing to me), but everything feels so cold and unattractive... And i honestly don't get the whole "OMFG the graphics are the awesome looks like a cg movie" vibe at all, to me Viva Pinata looks waaay better than this from every point of view.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Android18a said:
When I saw that tightrope shot, I immediately thought of this:

2rfzg9c.jpg

A little homage from Rare there?
295-banjo-tooie-003-iiojh.jpg

Ever played Banjo-Tooie?

Mdk7 said:
I don't wanna sound harsh but really, i'm not feeling Banjo AT ALL (and i was a big fan back in the N64 times!).
A couple of shots actually kinda reminded me of LittleBigPlanet (even if LBP is far beyond awesome while this one is pretty much unappealing to me), but everything feels so cold and unattractive... And i honestly don't get the whole "OMFG the graphics are the awesome looks like a cg movie" vibe at all, to me Viva Pinata looks waaay better than this from every point of view.

Well some shots look downright stunning whereas some others look pretty average compared to what I was expecting.

I'm not ready to buy the likelihood that Rare of all teams aren't putting out a game that looks fantastic so I'd say it's best for us to all wait for some videos to see what the real deal is.

I would absolutely love for some videos to leak, but we aren't that lucky. Tuesday is just... way too far away it seems.

A game doesn't go from looking downright stunning to "wtf not what I expected" in an instant so I just have the feeling that we are simply seeing some not so hot shots from what is, more than likely, a stunning looking game.

MCD

andrewfee said:

some are bullshots, others ain't:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1160514&postcount=1040

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mdk7 said:
I think the graphics look great, but I don't dig the art design at all. Neither did I like the one from Ratchet & Clank: machines don't fit well in a cartoon universe.

sinnergy

marc^o^ said:
I think the graphics look great, but I don't dig the art design at all. Neither did I like the one from Ratchet & Clank: machines don't fit well in a cartoon universe.

Well the mechanical look has always been part of banjo...

Mdk7

marc^o^ said:
sincerely, i don't even think that graphics do look that great.
Overall Ratchet looks significantly better IMHO, and i'm not talking about art direction at all (since i don't dig that one either)... Seriously, everything looks cold and a little soulles to me.

Stop It said:
First of all, I would like to state that the game looks great, I still dislike the new designs of Banjo and Kazooie, but I guess I'll have to live with this. .

You're not alone.

Mdk7 said:

Same for me. But it can still be a good game, if the vehicle-thing is not too much emphatized.

McDragon said:

Oh shit. Anyway, these are only suppositions, right?

pswii60

Mdk7 said:
sincerely, i don't even think that graphics do look that great.
Overall Ratchet looks significantly better IMHO, and i'm not talking about art direction at all (since i don't dig that one either)... Seriously, everything looks cold and a little soulles to me.
In screenshots, Ratchet TOD does not look better from a technical standpoint. In motion, well.. time will tell.

EDIT: Regardless, the Kameo screenshots looked pretty weak, and yet the actual game was mind-blowing visually. Either way, I supposed we're going back to the usual graphics debate, without even factoring in the gameplay.

I think that the vehicle part is mostly multiplayer (the racing is).

I see two Banjo's in two different vehicles in one picture (with a vehicle boosting or something).

There ARE notes, so that's a good thing.

And it just looks lovely, I'm just wondering how it will look when we're playing it and not when we're looking at it in this massive scale.

TheOddOne

pswii60 said:
EDIT: Regardless, the Kameo screenshots looked pretty weak, and yet the actual game was mind-blowing visually. Either way, I supposed we're going back to the usual graphics debate, without even factoring in the gameplay.

This.

pswii60

Pizza Luigi said:
I think that the vehicle part is mostly multiplayer (the racing is).

I see two Banjo's in two different vehicles in one picture (with a vehicle boosting or something).

There ARE notes, so that's a good thing.

And it just looks lovely, I'm just wondering how it will look when we're playing it and not when we're looking at it in this massive scale.
Yeah I reckon you have to build your own vehicle and then race them in multiplayer. Which is a friggin awesome idea, far better than tuning your car in Forza! And you've got a variety of land, air and sea vehicles here too.

What I can't work out at the moment, is how this all fits in to a single player story campaign. I still want exploration, story, and everything else Banjo. I hope this isn't just about making vehicles and nothing else, but we'll know tomorrow.

soco

McDragon said:
http://images.gfx.no/467/467425/i_467425.jpg[IMG]
wait a fucking minute...

why is there 2 banjos? are these vehicles multiplayer shots?[/QUOTE]

yeah someone pointed this out few pages back or something. the guess was that the racing was just like an additional minigame of sorts.

pswii60 said:
Regardless, the Kameo screenshots looked pretty weak, and yet the actual game was mind-blowing visually. Either way, I supposed we're going back to the usual graphics debate, without even factoring in the gameplay.

I have no doubt that graphics will be great, because it has been always Rare's biggest strentgh. My problem is the art design. But anyway, I'm more worried about the gameplay mechanic and the introduction of the vehicles. In particular about the fact that airplanes, hovercrafts, land-rover are used even in levels.

McDragon said:
wait a fucking minute...

why is there 2 banjos? are these vehicles multiplayer shots?

Probably. I really hope that the use of cars and co. will be limited to multiplayer.

marc^o^ said:

Oh shit. Now I remember where I already saw this mechanical-style.

acm2000

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh shit. Anyway, these are only suppositions, right?

by "bullshots" he means they are rendered at higher res for press, as most devs/publishers love to do, the game wont be any different bar 2xAA

pswii60 said:
Yeah I reckon you have to build your own vehicle and then race them in multiplayer. Which is a friggin awesome idea, far better than tuning your car in Forza! And you've got a variety of land, air and sea vehicles here too.

What I can't work out at the moment, is how this all fits in to a single player story campaign. I still want exploration, story, and everything else Banjo. I hope this isn't just about making vehicles and nothing else, but we'll know tomorrow.

I guess you have to build and use your vehicles in the game, maybe because the scale is even bigger than Banjo Tooie and there are no teleport thingys anymore. Or maybe you just need these things because Grunty is only a head and has a vehicle too, now. The only way to defeat her in some way or another is to use your own vehicle???

pswii60

Pizza Luigi said:
I guess you have to build and use your vehicles in the game, maybe because the scale is even bigger than Banjo Tooie and there are no teleport thingys anymore. Or maybe you just need these things because Grunty is only a head and has a vehicle too, now. The only way to defeat her in some way or another is to use your own vehicle???
Yeah, I suppose the tightrope screenshots shows there is more than just vehicle building/driving. One thing is for sure, it's definitely interesting.

Mdk7

pswii60 said:
In screenshots, Ratchet TOD does not look better from a Either way, I supposed we're going back to the usual graphics debate, without even factoring in the gameplay.
Do you wanna discuss about the gameplay over a bunch of screens?
Come on.
We'll certainly do that -or at list i will- when we'll actually see how the game plays, in motion.

sinnergy

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I have no doubt that graphics will be great, because it has been always Rare's biggest strentgh. My problem is the art design. But anyway, I'm more worried about the gameplay mechanic and the introduction of the vehicles. In particular about the fact that airplanes, hovercrafts, land-rover are used even in levels.

Probably. I really hope that the use of cars and co. will be limited to multiplayer.

Oh shit. Now I remember where I already saw this mechanical-style.

Must be the first Banjo's well before R&C ;)

Taker666

Vina Pinata 2 looks excellent..but I'm not overly impressed by the Banjo shots..pretty bland. Hopefully the animation is great and adds some life because it seems very clinical at the moment.

sinnergy said:
Must be the first Banjo's well before R&C ;)

No, I mean: the textures, the overworld, the objects, the constructions and the environments seem to be almost all derived from mechanism and they're not really part of the natural world. Banjo and Kazooie designs are also in resonance with this style.

Of course Banjo-Kazooie also had this element, but only in selected part of the game: Rusty Bucket Bay for example. But there were also Click Clock Wood, Freezezy Peak and Gobi's Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom