• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games at MS Gamer's Day: Banjo 3 and Vina Pinata 2 pics leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinterbird said:
What I saw was pretty damn open. At some point Peter said he didn't wanted to explore more. So he jumped from a bridge, and began swimming at some odd direction. Their concept is: if you can see it, you can go there.

Very nice.

How about playing as a kid? Is it like the first game where you're confined to the village and then the guild until you grow up, or can you go out into the world when you're young?

abacab driver said:
What is there not to understand?
Its platforming game with a custom vehicle dynamic which can be used for tons of things in a platforming context if you can use your imagination instead of jumping to the conclusion that its "something between a shooter and a racer."

If you wanted JUST a platformer, play mario.
This is more than that.

I would like to see a developer that make a platformer game as good as Mario. Is it possible that after all these years, Mario is still the unreachable king of platformer?

And it is also the king of innovation in platformer. I was just hoping that Rare would have innovated for once, but if the vehicle-thing is the innovation they were talking about...sigh.

Do note that if Rare went with a completely by-the-book approach to Banjo 3 and it was your standard platformer fare only much prettier we'd still have to no end to people claiming how shitty of an idea it is.

And maybe..just maybe Rare isn't interested in competing against Mario...hell to be honest I don't think any platformer is. I mean seriously in the past 10 years can you really come up with any popular games that are comparable to Mario's style of platforming?

clashfan

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I would like to see a developer that make a platformer game as good as Mario. Is it possible that after all these years, Mario is still the unreachable king of platformer?

And it is also the king of innovation in platformer. I was just hoping that Rare would have innovated for once, but if the vehicle-thing is the innovation they were talking about...sigh.

I think you need to chill out alittle and just wait for the real announcement of gameplay.

Confidence Man said:
Very nice.

How about playing as a kid? Is it like the first game where you're confined to the village and then the guild until you grow up, or can you go out into the world when you're young?

We only saw the first hour. You go around getting money for a magic music box, then some spoiler stuff happens. And then you begin your journey in the guild. So kinda like the intro to Fable 1.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

why not wait to see it in motion first? you dont even know how the vehicles work in the game. shit it could be the best platformer( not saying it is).

pswii60

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Yeah, it's real innovation. What a shame. You obviously wanted them to re-invent the wheel. Which has been done time and time again.

I used to love Ratchet but the latest iteration bored me to death. Was it a bad game? Hell no. Nothing wrong with it. But I've played that stuff over and over again for years. I want something new, a whole new gameplay aspect, a whole new reason for platforming and collecting your way through levels. And it seems Rare has found the answer.

[Nintex]

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Nintendo handed Mario to EAD Tokyo and magic happened. Everyone knew that Mario was going to be great they didn't know that it was going to be one of the best games ever made.

witness

WrikaWrek said:
Fable 2 looks....beautiful.

000024_org.jpg

Whoa, i wanna play that.

Seriously, that looks amazing.

Alx

Fable 2 looks good, but it looks like the hero design is still bland (at least when he's an adult), while NPCs are ok. It was one of the nitpickings I had with the first game.
Maybe they do that on purpose to make us buy moustaches and tatoos... :D

soldat7

Vinterbird said:
Thought it would be best to keep everything in the same topic, so here we go:

So the embargo is finally up. Last week a bunch of journalist saw the game at Lionhead in Guildford.

The build we saw was from the 7th of may. The game is content complete and about 5000 bugs from completion.

We were shown the magic system, a major plot point when you are a kid, some adult parts and I got hands on with the co-op part (local only, so far. Online announcement could come soon).

New stuff:

Mini map is dead. Peter hates it. So he made a "bread crump trail". Which is a golden line on the ground that will tell you which direction to go. It works kinda like a GPS system, so it will change if you go another direction, and will guide you in the right direction.

Magic system: You can either do a focused on one person attack, or a ranged attack. You can build up your attack in five levels. These five levels can be combined, so you can have level 1 be a fire spell, and then it builds up and adds level 2, which can be a slow spell, and so on.

There will be 8 different spells in the game.

You can buy every single house in the game. Each house will unlock something new. Either a sidequest, item or a skill

The game is 20-30 times larger then Fable 1.

The weather is completely dynamic, and will change as time progress. There will be different seasons.

Cutscenes are somewhat interactive. You can use the d-pad to do different gestures, and they can change the outcome of conversations. It's not on the scale of Mass Effect, but it can be done so you have some interactivity with the game world.

Peter wanted a sex minigame in there, but they had to drop it, due to the nature of the content. Now the screen just goes black, and your hear some moaning. And yes, you can have unprotected sex.

The female character also came close to being cut. But the female designers on the game wanted her in, so they made it happen.

There is three more Fable games planned. Lionhead is currently working on Fable 2 and a new project. The Black & White studio is no more.

I also had a talk with him, about videogames and that stuff. And he thinks that GTA4 is the absolute benchmark of how you can do story in videogames. And with Fable 2 he wants to make people attached to their character, and especially the dog.

He talked about how he was flirting with a girl, and her husband came by. And the husband became so pissed, he began kicking your dog. And Peter actually felt bad for flirting with the girl. He wants gamers to feel like he did.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll try to answer as much as I can.

Holy smokes. My interest in this game just increased by 10x.

Melville

A few questions regarding Fable 2:

- Can you turn off the "bread crump trail" (I hope so) or replace it with some kind of compass?
- Only 8 spells? That's not much. Do they evolve visually depending on the level? Also, I'm not sure I got that combination stuff...
- Can you give us an example of interaction with a cutscene?

Melville said:
A few questions regarding Fable 2:

- Can you turn off the "bread crump trail" (I hope so) or replace it with some kind of compass?
- Only 8 spells? That's not much. Do they evolve visually depending on the level? Also, I'm not sure I got that combination stuff...
- Can you give us an example of interaction with a cutscene?

- As far as I know. It's on all the time.
- They evolve depending on how you combine them in the five layer thing.
- Some guard was asking me some questions, and I began farting at him. Then he got pissed, be began kicking my dog, and wouldn't give me his quest.

pswii60

000024_org.jpg

000029_org.jpg

000030_org.jpg

Do want. All these games are so beautiful. Gone are the greys and browns, in with the lush colourful environments. At last!

EDIT: And in before "they stole the art style from Uncharted" because of a few rocks in the bottom pic. /thinks back to first Banjo pics

Vinterbird, fantastic write up :)

Question: Did they lock down any specific release date? (doubt they gave a specific one but maybe a month?)

WrikaWrek

Banned
My 2nd play through on GTAIv (was awesome btw, differenct choices, some really different outcomes) i played without the GPS system. I started to learn my way through the city by using visual memory.

The idea of traveling in a world like that of Fable without a Map sounds very appealing after my "exercise" with GTAIV.

steverulez said:
Vinterbird, fantastic write up :)

Question: Did they lock down any specific release date? (doubt they gave a specific one but maybe a month?)

We weren't told when it was coming out. But I looked at their deadline blackboard. Date is set in stone. But can't really say anything. It would be breaking the paper I signed.

Melville

Vinterbird said:
- As far as I know. It's on all the time.
- They evolve depending on how you combine them in the five layer thing.
- Some guard was asking me some questions, and I began farting at him. Then he got pissed, be began kicking my dog, and wouldn't give me his quest.

Nice, thank you :)

Ariexv

PepsimanVsJoe said:
And maybe..just maybe Rare isn't interested in competing against Mario...hell to be honest I don't think any platformer is. I mean seriously in the past 10 years can you really come up with any popular games that are comparable to Mario's style of platforming?
The original Banjo did :p

Overall I think it's best to wait for Rare to actually show off the new gameplay and stuff before jumping to conclusions, there could be plenty of platforming AND vehicle play, it's not like there can only be 1 in the game.

Vinterbird said:
We weren't told when it was coming out. But I looked at their deadline blackboard. Date is set in stone. But can't really say anything. It would be breaking the paper I signed.

Ah ok, thanks anyway, hopefully we hear it soon :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
Vinterbird said:

Do you know anything about Ninja Blade?

Like anything?

WrikaWrek said:
Do you know anything about Ninja Blade?

Like anything?

Nope. I only saw Fable 2, and I got a peek at their next project (sorry Sam, I know you asked us to look away, but it was to damn tempting).

GhaleonEB

Mini map is dead. Peter hates it. So he made a "bread crump trail". Which is a golden line on the ground that will tell you which direction to go. It works kinda like a GPS system, so it will change if you go another direction, and will guide you in the right direction.

WrikaWrek said:
Fable 2 looks....beautiful.

000024_org.jpg

Whoa, i wanna play that.

Looks like that's the "trail of bread crumbs". I don't much care for the idea - a path that takes you in the right direction all the time. Hopefully it can be turned off.

Of course, in Fable 1 you could only go in that one direction, so if this implies more freedom to explore, I'm all for it.

GI says their first vehicles was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- The town is called Showdown Town.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.
- Showdown Town is 16 times larger than anything RARE has created before.

This sounds so friggen awesome.

pswii60

GhaleonEB said:
Looks like that's the "trail of bread crumbs". I don't much care for the idea - a path that takes you in the right direction all the time. Hopefully it can be turned off.

Of course, in Fable 1 you could only go in that one direction, so if this implies more freedom to explore, I'm all for it.
Peter said it doesn't always lead you in the right direction, and sometimes you'd be better off ignoring it or you'll have your own decisions to make. It isn't just a case of following the breadcrumbs - they could be steering you down the wrong path.

TheOddOne

Its odd that there is no leak for the ninja game :(... tommorow we see it and everything revealed in this thread in motion. Tommorow will be a good day.

jacobs34

So what all can we expect to see tomorrow out of Microsoft, I've seen the leaks, and Fable 2 looks amazing. Is this supposed to be a huge showcase or just are there just going to be a few games on display?

So correct me if I am wrong but in this one you spend a good deal of time fashioning your character from youth on right? I loved that about the first one but it went to quickly.

pswii60

jacobs34 said:
So what all can we expect to see tomorrow out of Microsoft, I've seen the leaks, and Fable 2 looks amazing. Is this supposed to be a huge showcase or just are there just going to be a few games on display?
Well, there's release dates to be confirmed, LIPS, Ninja Blade, Scene It? 2, more hands-on, info and also videos of Fable 2/VP/Banjo, potentially Spring Update news and whatever the secret Inside Xbox video was Major said he was working on.

Orodreth

pswii60 said:
WTF? It sounds friggin awesome!

1,600 parts with insanely customisable vehicle creation?
Traditional platforming too?
Awesome unique Rare-humoured intros to every level?

Can't friggin wait.

Looks great.

And the Dallas soap-eresque homage could be all kinds of awesome.

And digging the piñata 2 new aditions, some expected to be in the first one already and some new ones looking promising. I hope they confirm the gardens are bigger, the limit of items is gone and that the helpers do what they are supposed to do this time around.

Alx

Molyneux said:
he was flirting with a girl, and her husband came by. And the husband became so pissed, he began kicking your dog
Vinterbird said:

poor dog, seems to get all the bad treatments... :(

GhaleonEB

Naeblish said:
Come again?
Yeah, I did that too.

I was pretty disappointed in Fable 1, but despite a few misgivings about this one I'm just too charmed by the visual style and the promise of another action/RPG in that universe to resist.

Ariexv

Why all the vehicle hate for Banjo? :( Just imagine Mario Galaxy mixed with Mario kart.... instead of those stupid starbits being almost useless you could use them to build vehicles which you use in SP to go to the galaxies instead of just shooting off and having a full on Multi-player kart game outside of SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom