• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games at MS Gamer's Day: Banjo 3 and Vina Pinata 2 pics leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Are they showing more on Too Human tomorrow? It would be a good time to get that promised demo out wouldn't it.

FightyF

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I would like to see a developer that make a platformer game as good as Mario. Is it possible that after all these years, Mario is still the unreachable king of platformer?

I can make a game that shames Mario. Too bad for you I don't have the resources to make it anytime soon.

It's not just vehicles by the way, you can build them. You create what sort of vehicle you want.

Ariexv said:
Why all the vehicle hate for Banjo? :( Just imagine Mario Galaxy mixed with Mario kart.... instead of those stupid starbits being almost useless you could use them to build vehicles which you use in SP to go to the galaxies instead of just shooting off and having a full on Multi-player kart game outside of SP.

the idea of being able to attach and detach the vehicle depending on what your doing sounds like it could be just incredible.

pswii60

BruceLeeRoy said:
the idea of being able to attach and detach the vehicle depending on what your doing sounds like it could be just incredible.
Indeed, but that won't stop Mithos Yggdrasill taking this thread in to the realms of incredible negativity.

Can't wait to see the game in action.

Xater

Just saw this thread. Wow Microsoft is not able to keep anything secret. :lol

At this point I am way more excited for VP2 than for Banjo.

Ariexv

BruceLeeRoy said:
Exactly.... the Vehicle additions make me want the game even more now and the original Banjo was probably one of my favorite N64 games, along with Diddy Kong racing.... so a game that possibly combines the best of those together along with insane customization and amazingly cool vehicles = Win.

Also Wow @ Fable 2 and VP2.... I remember spending alot of time on the original VP demo and playing it @ a friends but never got around to buying it.... think I'll have to rectify that this time around. Microsoft isn't slacking at all this year and depending on a few wild cards could easily turn out better then 07 was.

WinFonda

pswii60 said:
Peter said it doesn't always lead you in the right direction, and sometimes you'd be better off ignoring it or you'll have your own decisions to make. It isn't just a case of following the breadcrumbs - they could be steering you down the wrong path.
That sounds pretty awful either way; I mean, whats the point? The idea of always having this line coming out of your character and having to willingly, consciously make the decision of whether or not you'd like to follow it just sounds stupid.

If this is suppose to replace a compass, or a minimap, and be your guide of sorts, then you want to be able to count on it. If you're lost or don't know where to go, the last thing you need is something mischievously sending you the wrong way.

It's like, "Oh, hey... I'm totally lost, I guess I'll just follow my bread crumb trail to find my way." .... "OH MY GOD A GIANT OGRE" .... "Phew, got a way from that one" .... "Now back to following the trail" .... "Oh, look a town, that must be it" .... "Oops. Wrong town."

I don't know, I've found similar implementations in games like EQ and PDZ to just be distracting and no more useful than a standard map.

Ariexv said:
Exactly.... the Vehicle additions make me want the game even more now and the original Banjo was probably one of my favorite N64 games, along with Diddy Kong racing.... so a game that possibly combines the best of those together along with insane customization and amazingly cool vehicles = Win.

Man no fricken joke. The best part about it is it seems genuinely original and not something we have ever done. It will be especially bad ass if they use the vehicles as your only means of gaining access to places. Instead of the damn painting asking for more stars maybe you cant reach the hilltop area cause your vehicle cant fly yet or cant traverse the rocky canyon with your current tires...OMG I AM FREAKING OUT THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

WinFonda said:
That sounds pretty awful either way; I mean, whats the point? The idea of always having this line coming out of your character and having to willingly, consciously make the decision of whether or not you'd like to follow it just sounds stupid.

If this is suppose to replace a compass, or a minimap, and be your guide of sorts, then you want to be able to count on it. If you're lost or don't know where to go, the last thing you need is something mischievously sending you the wrong way.

It's like, "Oh, hey... I'm totally lost, I guess I'll just follow my bread crumb trail to find my way." .... "OH MY GOD A GIANT OGRE" .... "Phew, got a way from that one" .... "Now back to following the trail" .... "Oh, look a town, that must be it" .... "Oops. Wrong town."

I don't know, I've found similar implementations in games like EQ and PDZ to just be distracting and no more useful than a standard map.

The motivation behind it, was because you could complete the game by just looking at the minimap. He wanted people to actually look at the screen and experince the world.

Kydd BlaZe

Fable 2 screens look a little weird. But this game sounds epic. Can't wait to see it in motion, though. These screens probably don't do the game any justice.

Vinterbird said:
The motivation behind it, was because you could complete the game by just looking at the minimap. He wanted people to actually look at the screen and experince the world.

That makes perfect sense to me playing GTA has really made me realize how tiring it is to keep checking the little 200px mini map to see where the F your going. If Peter has figured out a way to eliminate that I am all on board.

WinFonda

Vinterbird said:
I get that. I just think the idea that is suppose to facilitate this is going to backfire.

I've had time to peruse the BK information and screenshots, and most look quite awful. VP2, on the other hand, many look great. Never been interested in Fable, so I can't comment.

FightyF

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Man no fricken joke. The best part about it is it seems genuinely original and not something we have ever done. It will be especially bad ass if they use the vehicles as your only means of gaining access to places. Instead of the damn painting asking for more stars maybe you cant reach the hilltop area cause your vehicle cant fly yet or cant traverse the rocky canyon with your current tires...OMG I AM FREAKING OUT THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Exactly. That would be incredibly awesome.

Diddy Kong Racing in a platformer...that would be incredible.

pswii60

Avoid the GameInformer thread if you're weak. Amir0x is shitting on Banjo, BIG time.
Amir0x said:
haha it's like they realized how awful Banjo was and made the concept as a big joke on all actual Banjo fans

"hey, you know what sucked about those games? Collecting. Let's make a bazillion new things to collect and you can make vehicles with them!"
Amir0x said:
Banjo is like a hilarious joke on all people who actually enjoyed that crap franchise.

Collecting 1600 parts with a large focus on vehicles. Banjo Pilot, with the collecting FORCE of a billion Banjo platform games

so fucking awesome

Kydd BlaZe said:
Fable 2 screens look a little weird. But this game sounds epic. Can't wait to see it in motion, though. These screens probably don't do the game any justice.

000028_org.jpg

This screen has totally sold me on the game. I love the dog.

NeXuSDK

Ok, since the embargo has ended, I guess I can spill some beans on Banjo and VP2 as well (besides what you already know from GI).

Banjo (slated for November):
- Building vehicles is basically like playing with LEGO. You can <i>always</i> jump in and out of the vehicle editor and come right back to the game with the new design.
- Parts are easily placed and moved around. You don't have to worry about connecting the motor with the wheels for example. Just place everything so they stick together and don't get in the way.
- Vehicle designs can play a large role in missions. We saw one where you had to collect coconuts from a field and got a small truck that could suck them up. Unfortunately you couldn't fit all the coconuts in the truck and had to back and deliver them in a large barrel. We were then shown how you could create a helicopter with a hook, that could pick up this large barrel, fly to the coconut field and fly low to scoop the coconuts in the barrel.
- Physics are awesome in this game and everywhere! With one design I placed the foot-in-a-box weapon behind a propella, and when I tried to use it, the foot/boot couldn't get past the propella... well, until I used it enough times to actually kick the propella off the vehicle!
- Pixel art... imagine the possibilities (Rare already had an example of this, paying homage to a certain plumber)
- Multiplayer is great fun with the ability to either chose from pre-fabricated or own vehicle designs. It still needs some polish here and there, but showed great promise.

VP2 (slated for September):
- I will only touch on one feature here, as GI already touched on many of the more traditional improvements. This feature is extremely cool though, in two ways.
1. VP2 uses the Vision Camera in combination with physical cards sorta like Eye of Judgement. It basically scans a small code on the card, when it's being held up in front of the camera, and this can both insert custom designed pinatas, unlock buildings or abilities, change the weather and many other things. We were told how Rare had designed a moose that got a big, red nose only around christmas time... and this could be passed around with these cards.
2. So the game also got a photo mode. Cool, but that's not the best! This photo mode is able to interpret the pictures and create the above-mentioned code based on the picture. Basically, you will have a card generator available on the internet! Imagine this: you have created this really cool pinata and instead of the tiresome task of sending it only to selected friends on Live, you can take a picture of it, get the code/card generated and share it on a forum. Instantly everyone will be able to get the pinata in their game and since the camera can also read from LCD screens, ipods, zunes etc., there is little to no hassle. Now THAT'S sharing!

jacobs34

I fear for what is going to happen to this thread tomorrow, Sony fanboys will be out for blood, and it is almost guaranteed to turn into a "who's line-up is better" bitchfest. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worse.

raYne

000028_org.jpg

"So after I slept with her, I got this red mark on my... Here, let me show you."

..and you know it's bad judging by the dog's reaction.

pswii60 said:
Avoid the GameInformer thread if you're weak. Amir0x is shitting on Banjo, BIG time.

Rightfully so. If the GameInformer information is correct, it sounds awful. Doesn't even belong in the genre (and the originals were already barely platformers.)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So this year I am getting:

Banjo 3
Viva Pinata 2 (doubt it will come this year, but I can dream).
Fable 2
Too Human
Halo Wars
Gears of War 2

So suddenly Microsoft went from having a lackluster 2008 to having a possible better year than 2007? I don't think so. As somebody said earlier, people just underestimated Microsoft, the cards were always there. Now that Ms has finally shown its 2008 lineup it seems like it is every bit as strong as Sony's.

pswii60 said:
That standard operating procedure for him, ignore him and he'll go back to play with his boom blox.

Rightfully so. If the GameInformer information is correct, it sounds awful. Doesn't even belong in the genre (and the originals were already barely platformers.)
So because it doesn't neatly fit in the platformer genre its awful?

So the GI information is correct, eh? So long, Banjo. We always had the first, the best, the only one for me.

EDIT: No, if it isn't part of the genre, it doesn't mean it's awful. But if you're excited over this vehicle crap, by all means, don't le me rain in on your parade.

Ariexv

NeXuSDK said:
Ok, since the embargo has ended, I guess I can spill some beans on Banjo and VP2 as well (besides what you already know from GI).

Banjo:
- Building vehicles is basically like playing with LEGO. You can <i>always</i> jump in and out of the vehicle editor and come right back to the game with the new design.
- Parts are easily placed and moved around. You don't have to worry about connecting the motor with the wheels for example. Just place everything so they stick together and don't get in the way.
- Vehicle designs can play a large role in missions. We saw one where you had to collect coconuts from a field and got a small truck that could suck them up. Unfortunately you couldn't fit all the coconuts in the truck and had to back and deliver them in a large barrel. We were then shown how you could create a helicopter with a hook, that could pick up this large barrel, fly to the coconut field and fly low to scoop the coconuts in the barrel.
- Physics are awesome in this game and everywhere! With one design I placed the foot-in-a-box weapon behind a propella, and when I tried to use it, the foot/boot couldn't get past the propella... well, until I used it enough times to actually kick the propella off the vehicle!
- Pixel art... imagine the possibilities (Rare already had an example of this, paying homage to a certain plumber)
- Multiplayer is great fun with the ability to either chose from pre-fabricated or own vehicle designs. It still needs some polish here and there, but showed great promise.

VP2:
- I will only touch on one feature here, as GI already touched on many of the more traditional improvements. This feature is extremely cool though, in two ways.
1. VP2 uses the Vision Camera in combination with physical cards sorta like Eye of Judgement. It basically scans a small code on the card, when it's being held up in front of the camera, and this can both insert custom designed pinatas, unlock buildings or abilities, change the weather and many other things. We were told how Rare had designed a moose that got a big, red nose only around christmas time... and this could be passed around with these cards.
2. So the game also got a photo mode. Cool, but that's not the best! This photo mode is able to interpret the pictures and create the above-mentioned code based on the picture. Basically, you will have a card generator available on the internet! Imagine this: you have created this really cool pinata and instead of the tiresome task of sending it only to selected friends on Live, you can take a picture of it, get the code/card generated and share it on a forum. Instantly everyone will be able to get the pinata in their game and since the camera can also read from LCD screens, ipods, zunes etc., there is little to no hassle. Now THAT'S sharing!
ummm holy shit, Rare is back confirmed over and over again.

tak

pswii60 said:
I think Banjo killed his dog when he was younger. I would be mad at Banjo too.

pswii60

NeXuSDK said:

Banjo:
Cheers mate! So just how much traditional platforming is there in Banjo? When not in vehicles do you control him and explore as you would in the old games?

WrikaWrek

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
That makes perfect sense to me playing GTA has really made me realize how tiring it is to keep checking the little 200px mini map to see where the F your going. If Peter has figured out a way to eliminate that I am all on board.

Yup.

I couldn't believe how much of the world i missed in GTAIv when i was playing it the second time. I realized that i would constantly look at the map before.

Like MGs1, where you would play the game by looking at the radar :lol

SupahBlah

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
So the GI information is correct, eh? So long, Banjo. We always had the first, the best, the only one for me.

This is why we get the same old stuff all the time because as soon as someone tries anything different people whine its different, then later they whine its all the same. :lol

NeXuSDK said:

- Physics are awesome in this game and everywhere! With one design I placed the foot-in-a-box weapon behind a propella, and when I tried to use it, the foot/boot couldn't get past the propella... well, until I used it enough times to actually kick the propella off the vehicle!!

THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! *faints*

Ariexv

WrikaWrek said:
Yup.

I couldn't believe how much of the world i missed in GTAIv when i was playing it the second time. I realized that i would constantly look at the map before.

lol I was just thinking about that earlier, half the time when I'm driving around in GTA IV I'm just watching the map mainly while watching the actual game out of the corner of my eye.

WrikaWrek said:
Yup.

Ahhh man MGS is a good one too. Its a shame with GTA cause the game has so many awesome little details that are just way to easy to miss.

NeXuSDK

pswii60 said:
Cheers mate! So just how much traditional platforming is there in Banjo? When not in vehicles do you control him and explore as you would in the old games?

I'm unsure of this, as Rare primarily focused on the vehicle aspect (which also gathered most of my attention... I can't describe how much fun this is, completely free to build your vehicle in every way), but there will be some. But as I've said before, this is NOT your traditional platformer and everyone expecting it to be so will be disappointed. Unfortunate for them, as this game already is a blast.

Kydd BlaZe

BruceLeeRoy said:

My thoughts, exactly.

NeXuSDK

Opus Angelorum said:
NexusSDK, can you comment on the technical stuff? It's supposed to be pretty impressive.

I thought Banjo was beautiful, no doubt, although the most impressive game from a technical standpoint. I really like the color palette and art style though, which is very coherent throughout the levels I saw.

WrikaWrek

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Ahhh man MGS is a good one too. Its a shame with GTA cause the game has so many awesome little details that are just way to easy to miss.

Off topic, but i had never noticed for example but, a car in front of me had some dude throw a can out of the window and i went over the can, and i couldn't believe it...the wheels actually went over the can, they actually reacted to it, and it was such a small can...

Maybe told it isn't impressive but i thought it was, such a small thing in such a big game.

RBH

NeXuSDK said:

VP2 (slated for September):
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom