• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Garbage album No Gods No Masters gets released on June 11

VulcanRaven

A1zilzuQhRL._SS500_.jpg

Garbage return with their seventh studio album ‘No Gods No Masters’, to be released 11th June 2021

“This is our seventh record, the significant numerology of which affected the DNA of its content.

The seven virtues

The seven sorrows

and the seven deadly sins.

It was our way of trying to make sense of the craziness of the world and the astounding chaos we found ourselves in.”

Shirley Manson

New music video was released today:

I wasn't sure about the song at first but it has got better after few listens. Good song. The reason for that kind of video is probably that the band couldn't film a proper music video because of covid. Version 2.0 is my favorite Garbage album but I have liked the last 2 albums too. Not You Kind of People from 2012 was great.

Last edited:

Nico_D

I wasn't sure about the song at first but it has got better after few listens. Good song. The reason for that kind of video is probably that the band couldn't film a proper music video because of covid. Version 2.0 is my favorite Garbage album but I have liked the last 2 albums too. Not You Kind of People from 2012 was great.

Personally I liked Strange Little Birds better. But all their albums have good stuff on them.

This song from the new album is not bad, not bad at all.

Forsythia

Personally I liked Strange Little Birds better. But all their albums have good stuff on them.

Strange Little Birds is their best work since Version 2.0. I have high hopes for this new one.

VulcanRaven

When they put this on the MGS V Phantom Pain Soundtrack!

The MGSV trailer with that song is one of my favorite trailers. That album is so good:

I like SLB too but I haven't listened it as much as other albums. My favorite songs on it are Night Drive Loneliness and Even Though Our Love Is Doomed.

Last edited:

8bitpill

Gold Member
Don't know if you're a Depeche Mode fan but but when this trailer came out, I didn't realize it was them, on the trailer for MG Rising Revengeance. I figured it out a year later after the games release.

quickwhips

If this is the best song. Meh and I saw them before they were big. Really liked them. I'll give the album a listen but not liking this new song...

I prefer the old school Garbage, the new song is too erratic and noisy for lack of a better description. I understand that's by intention for the subject matter in the song and tone but it's not clean like their old stuff.

RAÏSanÏa

This experimental sound is fun. Jagged and different while staying recognizable due to Shirley's vocals. Not like Garbage is all that unique outside her anyhow. Good to see them stretch. I like the video and the Metropolis theme "For her -- all seven deadly sins!". A UFO. There's a pulse on pulse theme.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Love Garbage, though not sure what I think of this song. Gotta listen to it more.

BigBooper

I throw my garbage straight in the trash.

Musically, not your kind of people was pretty good, but lyrically if brought me back to the "heady" emo days of the 90s where it was all so deep. Bleed like me even moreso, with less interesting music. Iduno

Dr. Suchong

I got about 2 mins and 9 seconds in and...... Not feeling it.
The swearing seems a bit try hard to me.
Shame. I was excited at first.

VulcanRaven

They are touring later this year but I have a feeling that covid may delay it again. I hope they come to Finland.

This is my favorite Garbage song:

Last edited:

Ionian

Not a bad track, chorus is catchy. Don't see the point of the lyrics though, seems tryhard-woke.

Is she blaming men on the lock-down? She's a bit old now for that nonsense.

RaptorGTA

Reminds me of music that was released in the mid 2000's. Both the song style and music video...

Yea not a fan of this...

VulcanRaven

The song has really grown on me. I have been listening it a lot on Spotify. It might not be as good first single as Empty but its still very catchy. I recommend reading the band's autobiography This Is the Noise That Keeps Me Awake. Its a great book:

This_Is_the_Noise_That_Keeps_Me_Awake_book_cover.png

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

New music video was just released:

This is better than the first song. I pre-ordered the 2 disc version few weeks ago.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I just noticed that version in the music video is radio edit. Spotify has a version that is one minute longer.

Last edited:
Holy crap just tried to listen to the Men song it sounds like a dry heave. Just an incomplete vomit. Not even Garbage.

Second song is very lame. I can’t believe people take this stuff seriously. This corporate revolution stuff is the fakest shit ever.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Butch Vig said in the live chat before the music video premiered that they have almost finished compiling the b-sides and remixes for the BG reissue. I haven't heard all the b-sides so good that they re-release the albums with them. Bleed Like Me needs to be release on vinyl too.

This concert from 2005 is great:

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The new song doesn't feel as good as the previous two but I need to listen it more. The album gets released next month. Can't wait to hear it! :)

It looks like the band is rehearsing for the tour. Virtual concert would be great.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I have listened the album few times and its very good. I got lucky and it arrived one day early. My favorite songs right now Uncomfortably Me and This City Will Kill You. I'm so happy they included the bonus disc. It has the great song Time Will Destory Everything that they used as a intro on Not Your Kind of People tour.

They performed on Late Night with Seth Meyers:

Last edited:

Forsythia

I have listened the album few times and its very good. I got lucky and it arrived one day early. My favorite songs right now Uncomfortably Me and This City Will Kill You. I'm so happy they included the bonus disc. It has the great song Time Will Destory Everything that they used as a intro on Not Your Kind of People tour.

They performed on Late Night with Seth Meyers:

Haven't received my physical copy yet but it's on streaming services, so no biggie. I cannot fathom why they released The Men Who Ruled the World as the first single, as it's definitely the weakest song on the album. The rest is very good!

VulcanRaven

Haven't received my physical copy yet but it's on streaming services, so no biggie. I cannot fathom why they released The Men Who Ruled the World as the first single, as it's definitely the weakest song on the album. The rest is very good!
I have started to like it and Wolves more. TMWRTW definitely in my top 5 favorite songs on the album.

Their Starman cover is great:

Last edited:

Nico_D

Listened the album once but honestly, not impressed. My first impression was that as brilliant Shirley is, she is getting too much space in this one making it feel like a solo album. In other words, it doesn't sound liķe Garbage, more like "some band".

Also the lyrics to Men Who... are embarrassingly childish and generalizing without her usual sense of nuances and wit. It doesn't feel sincere, maybe? That's at least how it comes out to me.

Granted, I probably need to listen it at least once more (2nd time right now, Wolves playing). But Strange Little Birds this is not. Probably wasn't their intention either.

Nico_D

Yeah, I don't care for it either. The music is pretty generic compared to what I think Garbage actually is. And the B side is actually more interesting, sad.

Butch Vig said in an interview at Pitchfork that this time around they didn't have anything ready when they got together. Usually he has ideas and stuff ready even before they start. This time he didn't, they just put together from jam sessions. I think you can hear that.

Top Bottom