• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gene Therapy technique used for first time to correct a gene in live animal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
gWikx6c.jpg

I guess the day there's a magic pill that cure psoriasis isn't there yet =/ Thanks for the info tho!

Fucking super visible incurable disease that I can only temporarily treat the symptom and not the cause...

Amirai

Man, I hope this technique can cure stuff like Ehlers–Danlos syndrome and fibromyalgia. They cause a lot of pain and someone I care about has them. :(

Kad5

It would be cool if doctors could somehow reverse my nail-patella syndrome or at least let me prevent any of my offspring from getting it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sorry humans but this is for mice only for the next 30 years!

Raist

Banned
Oh ok, the whole animal kingdom except humans then. Because testing on humans who sign up for it would be wrong, but signing up to go die on Mars is fine.

Works fine in human cells too, I know that for a fact :p

The point is, this system is very easy and quick to design, so if we're already getting succesful (and seemingly safe) tests in monkeys, that should speed up the process for human trials an awful lot.

But yes, generally I'd agree, I sometimes get the feeling that progress is slowed down an awful lot for "ethical" reasons. The problem is that missteps also fuck up the whole thing big time. Immunotherapy has been almost a taboo for a long time because of a few catastrophic trials.

Works fine in human cells too, I know that for a fact :p

The point is, this system is very easy and quick to design, so if we're already getting succesful (and seemingly safe) tests in monkeys, that should speed up the process for human trials an awful lot.

But yes, generally I'd agree, I sometimes get the feeling that progress is slowed down an awful lot for "ethical" reasons. The problem is that missteps also fuck up the whole thing big time. Immunotherapy has been almost a taboo for a long time because of a few catastrophic trials.

I agree with your first point. Disagree with the second.

This is a very "easy" system. It really is. Amazingly simple. The trick is how to deliver it properly.

On ethical problems with trials, I have to disagree. In my experience, there are many trials that really shouldn't be undertaken. If anything, we are too lenient in allowing trials.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
On ethical problems with trials, I have to disagree. In my experience, there are many trials that really shouldn't be undertaken. If anything, we are too lenient in allowing trials.

Tell that to people with cancer who have very low chances of surviving. So many would have given anything to have the chance for an alternative to chemotherapy, and it's their right.

Raist

Banned
I agree with your first point. Disagree with the second.

This is a very "easy" system. It really is. Amazingly simple. The trick is how to deliver it properly.

I've mentioned the delivery problem about 4 times in this thread :p.

I'm not quite sure how you feel that we're too lenient with trials. They're heavily regulated, and in the case of cancer immunotherapy for instance, often limited to people with terminal diseases, where it's not exactly surprising that the results are extremely poor.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wonder if this will lead to a cure for baldness. Haven't they isolated a gene that causes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom