• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War 3 Screens

brain_stew said:
Sure, but the visual fidelity has increased a lot since then (which means extra load), and honestly, its very, very rare that you see huge leaps in performance from a demo to a retail release, not of the magnitude of a 100% increase anyway.

Have you seen the game since that 2008 demo?

StuBurns said:
It's also pretty rare we get a demo built around a year ahead of release.

True, we'll wait and see. If they really have managed to deliver the fidelity of the latest media at a mostly consistant 60fps then...............wow, that'd be a hell of an achivement and as big a showcase PS3 title as Uncharted 2.

I really shouldn't be doing this to myself, but I'm sort of hoping that the reason we're not getting a trailer is because that is in fact the launch demo.

I know, but damn it.

StuBurns

Banned
brain_stew said:
That's basically my take on it as well. 60fps is great and all but if you're spending most of the time at 30fps, those occasional spikes to 60fps make the 30fps sections feel a whole lot worse than they should do. The controller responsiveness changing rapidly from level to level and weapon to weapon is not something I'd want in an action game, really. Once you're used to 30fps, its fine for something like God of War and at least you know you're going to get a consistant response. The graphics are more than impressive enough for a 720p/30fps console game anyway.

The ideal compromise ofcourse is giving the user the option to lock it at 30fps if they want but this seems to be frowned upon in the console world which is a real shame.
Yeah, I agree on everything, especially the option. I don't know why console games don't do this. BioShock is literally the only one I know that does it. It allows you to unlock the framerate by deactivating V-sync. A really nice addition I think. It's strange though, I have never seen any screen tear with V-sync off on the PS3 version.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
AltogetherAndrews said:
I really shouldn't be doing this to myself, but I'm sort of hoping that the reason we're not getting a trailer is because that is in fact the launch demo.

I know, but damn it.

It does stand to reason that they'd do something like that based on their past behavior... but at the same time it seems too awesome to be true.

StuBurns said:
Yeah, I agree on everything, especially the option. I don't know why console games don't do this. BioShock is literally the only one I know that does it. It allows you to unlock the framerate by deactivating V-sync. A really nice addition I think. It's strange though, I have never seen any screen tear with V-sync off on the PS3 version.

The Lego games and Saints Row 2 have the option as well, but that's about the only other examples I can think of. I've heard some mention that its generally discouraged by Microsoft and Sony to have graphics options and the like. Apparently SEGA Rally was going to have a 60fps mode where the graphics were toned down but it was vetoed. :(

I wish they'd give their users more credit, giving us the option to play a game as we prefer it, isn't going to make our heads explode.

kikanny

AltogetherAndrews said:

I know, but damn it.
I don't think we're going to get any more demos. Stig is very concerned about spoiling stuff. I guess its kind of good in a way.....But I just can't wait...

-viper-

Banned
StuBurns said:
Yeah I agree on this.

I hope there is an option to lock it at 30FPS, if the framerate is always changing.

kikanny said:
I don't think we're going to get any more demos. Stig is very concerned about spoiling stuff. I guess its kind of good in a way.....But I just can't wait...

Although Stig may be concerned about spoiling stuff, it wouldnt stop Sony from doing whatever they need to market the game.

Basically, don't think a demo release (or lack of) is based on what Stig prefers. Think of what Sony prefers and what's best for them.

I personally think Sony will try to resort to other methods of marketing in March. If they don't create enough buzz I expect them to release another demo right before or after the game launches.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh my fucking god. After seeing Heavy Rain cover this shit has got the be fake, not only did they use one the best arts they can possibly use but they made it even more awesome by removing the black PS3 bar at the top. Shieett!!

Please do this more often, expecting it to be standard is probably a big stretch but I'd really like you to use it a bit more, even if it's just on first party titles :D

Sony gives a lot of leeway to 1st and 2nd party devs and usually doesn't stick its nose in their development. If Santa Monica doesn't feel like parading GoW 3, I doubt Sony will force them otherwise. They treated Media Molecule like their child. But I do expect more media exposure in the next month with scoops from major magazines and one more trailer.

I always trip balls when I see Stig's name. I mean the man with the badass name is making the badass game. All sorts of win. March cannot be any further for a variety of reasons (bye bye winter =( )

Great screenshots, I'm pretty hyped :D

One thing i loved about GoW II is that you get to fight all the "big names" from the Greek classics like
the hero Perseus (who slayed Medusa), Zeus (the Father of Olympus) and the Three Fates
. So I have big hopes for the boss fights in this one. I hope they include a Hercules boss fight for GoW III. I'm guessing that we get to fight most of the pantheon of Gods on Olympus (well at the very least Hades since he's in one of the screenshots).

HYDE

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I always trip balls when I see Stig's name. I mean the man with the badass name is making the badass game. All sorts of win. March cannot be any further for a variety of reasons (bye bye winter =( )

Seriously, winter needs to F-OFF! Hades, Poseidon, and Zeus will die this spring confirmed.
Haters need to follow winter, and US boxart better be permanent (get your maybeline mascara adds the hell out of the boxart).

Garl_Vinland said:
Great screenshots, I'm pretty hyped :D

One thing i loved about GoW II is that you get to fight all the "big names" from the Greek classics like
the hero Perseus (who slayed Medusa), Zeus (the Father of Olympus) and the Three Fates
. So I have big hopes for the boss fights in this one. I hope they include a Hercules boss fight for GoW III. I'm guessing that we get to fight most of the pantheon of Gods on Olympus (well at the very least Hades since he's in one of the screenshots).

you actually got me thinking about it...we're probably gonna kill them all of them left :D (at least i hope so :D)

http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Gods

* Amphitrite, a sea Goddess and consort of Poseidon
* Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love, beauty and desire
* Ares, the God of War, bloodlust, and frenzy - KILLED GOW1
* Artemis, the Goddess of the hunt, forests, wild beasts, the moon and virginity
* Athena, the goddess of Wisdom, Strategic Warfare and Heroic endeavour
* Boreas, the God of the North Wind
* Ceryx, the son of Hermes and a messenger God
* Eos, the Goddess of the dawn and sister to Helios
* Eurus, the God of the east wind
* Hades, God of the Underworld and ruler of dead - CONFIRMED GOW3
* Helios The God of the sun and brother to Eos - CONFIRMED GOW3
* Hera, the Goddess of Women and Marriage, the sister-wife of Zeus
* Hermes, the messenger God of Olympus and God of travelers, speed, commerce and thievery
* Morpheus, the God of Dreams
* Notus, the God of the South Wind
* Persephone, the Goddess of the underworld and fertility
* Poseidon, the God of the seas, earthquakes and horses - CONFIRMED GOW3
* Triton, the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite, and messenger God of the Deep Sea
* Zephyrus, the God of the West Wind
* Zeus, the God of the sky, thunder, lightning, and Power and the ruler of Olympus - CONFIRMED GOW3

any chance anyone can help me with this? it's been so long since gow1 and 2 that i don't even recall who got killed :lol

When looking at the these screen shots and just getting a sense of the epicness involved, I can't even FATHOM what the final sequence will be like because we all know Kratos will only go out in flames.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
kazuma_pt said:
you actually got me thinking about it...we're probably gonna kill them all of them left :D (at least i hope so :D)

* Artemis, the Goddess of the hunt, forests, wild beasts, the moon and virginity
* Hermes, the messenger God of Olympus and God of travelers, speed, commerce and thievery
* Zeus, the God of the sky, thunder, lightning, and Power and the ruler of Olympus - CONFIRMED GOW3

any chance anyone can help me with this? it's been so long since gow1 and 2 that i don't even recall who got killed :lol

God of War Chains of Olympus spoiler
Persephone was killed.

monocromo

kazuma_pt said:

have you played Chains of Olympus..?

edit: damn :p

Canova

Banned
Gafapastismo said:
065802.jpg

* Ultimate Trilogy Edition (Pandora's Box) (In EUR includes God of War Collection)

I like this cover, will North America get this box art?

They definitely should have Kratos posing the same way as my Avatar

cellini_perseus-1.jpg

skulpt said:
I am so freaking tired of levels with 100000 boxes. Mass Effect 1/2 makes a living off of it, and so many other games use it. It's such lazy game design and level design.

The lighting looks great here, but come on devs. I'm tired of seeing cloned boxes to make up levels. I know that this is just hopefully a small part, but man is it lazy and annoying for the most part.

3950.jpg

Rant over. I'll rant again when I see explosive barrels and cans around enemies in Uncharted 3 I'm sure. LOL
Boxes in GoW means puzzles.

Puzzles in GoW means I'm not killing anything (well, aside from that one sacrificial puzzle...).

This screen makes me sad for so many reasons, and yes, I also loathe cloned boxes. I almost turned RE5 off when I got to the cargo container level. WTF no.

monocromo said:
have you played Chains of Olympus..?

edit: damn :p

yeah, CoO was the only one i didn't play. guess i'll grab it cheap before gow3 hits.

also, damn, we didn't kill many gods. i hope you're gonna let us kill all of them, you hear me santa monica?
i won't be satisfied until they're all ripped to shreds!!!

monocromo

kazuma_pt said:
yeah, CoO was the only one i didn't play. guess i'll grab it cheap before gow3 hits.

also, damn, we didn't kill many gods. i hope you're gonna let us kill all of them, you hear me santa monica?
i won't be satisfied until they're all ripped to shreds!!!

It's a great game, albeit a bit short. You're not going to believe that it's running on your psp.

kazuma_pt said:

I would love to see a female boss fight like against Aphrodite. She tries to "charm" you with her seduction haha. Hera was like one of the big villains in Xena: Warrior Princess or Hercules (can't remember which) so i hope they include her. I really want a Hercules boss fight since he's like the Michael Jordan of Greek heroes. I didn't like what they did to Hercules in Rise of the Argonauts.

StuBurns said:

so im not the only one? i unlocked the framerate in Bioshock on PS3 and expected to see lots of tear, but no, it ran butter smooth (to me it looked like 60fps, exactly like COD4 and Wipeout HD) without a tiny bit of screentear, i tried looking for it for a couple minutes but nope, could not see a single torn screen then or ever during the whole playthrough (and i notice it every time in Uncharted, Ass Creed etc).

weird.

on topic: GOW3 just looks fantastic. the demo was amazing enough for me, the fact that it will look significantly better.. damn!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
StuBurns said:
The Making Of documentary is only in the ultimate box I believe.

That documentary is about the history of the entire GoW series, so I'm hoping there's still GoW III-specific documentaries in every edition. If not, there'll be RAGE!

The Ultimate Trilogy is ridiculously expensive in Sweden, and I already have GoW Collection, so I'm not getting that. I would like to get the documentary and the soundtracks, but it's just not worth the money. I'm not sure the Collector's Edition is really worth it either, the content is really lousy. I may just get the regular edition, which is a bit sad since this is my most wanted game this year.

Garl_Vinland said:
I would love to see a female boss fight like against Aphrodite. She tries to "charm" you with her seduction haha. Hera was like one of the big villains in Xena: Warrior Princess or Hercules (can't remember which) so i hope they include her. I really want a Hercules boss fight since he's like the Michael Jordan of Greek heroes. I didn't like what they did to Hercules in Rise of the Argonauts.

Too bad no female can charm Kratos. Kratos will fuck up inside out and then leave her in the ground begging for more while he leaves as he can't get any more red orbs from her... :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Garl_Vinland said:

I'd love to see Kratos versus Xena and an army of Amazons. There must be a Hercules Kratos fight in GOW3 or i will be very upset.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RoadHazard said:
That documentary is about the history of the entire GoW series, so I'm hoping there's still GoW III-specific documentaries in every edition. If not, there'll be RAGE!

The lead animator has stated that there will also be behind-the-scenes content, just like GOW1 & 2. He doesn't say it's for the collector's edition only, so I guess for now assume it's included with the standard edition.

source: http://elanimador.blogspot.com/2010/01/unerthing-legend-trailer.html

Don't worry too much, their rollout of media won't be any more revealing than UC2 was. Which if you remember we only saw two areas of the city and anything else were snippets of montages that didn't reveal much.Will probably be even less with GoW3, judging by how little they showed of GoW2.

Garl_Vinland said:
Kratos is Hercules

torontoml

For some reason I thought my spring break was in March, but I just realized today its in February. Kinda sucks since exams and stuff will be starting soon after this gets released, don't know if I'll be able to play it until almost the end of April.

Top Bottom