• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War Gameplay

I'm pretty sure at least one of the hands-on previews mentioned him having his own skill tree or at least an upgrade path.

Thanks David, that's good to hear. It could become quite a fun side mechanic in the game if the son's upgrade path continually influences your overall strategy!

Thanks David, that's good to hear. It could become quite a fun side mechanic in the game if the son's upgrade path continually influences your overall strategy!
Well in the footage I posted you see that you have to use the kids arrows (square button) to actually be able to hit some enemies, so hopefully they really go out with his upgrades and stuff you can use him for in combat.

NovumAngel

Banned
https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/hands-on-with-god-of-war-evocative-gaming-bliss-w518039

4 difficulty settings including one called "GIVE ME GOD OF WAR"
And that fourth, hardest setting isn’t simply an algorithmic increase in difficulty, God of War creative director Cory Barlog says. “We did a ton of stuff to make it a genuine challenge, not a cynical increase. Enemies are all changed up. We changed the attack patterns of things; it’s hugely different.”

While Atreus isn’t simply a child to protect in the game, he’s also not a full-fledged warrior. Instead, he’s a deliberately awkward helper. He can, for instance, shoot arrows at your enemy to distract them from you. He can be sent on tasks to help solve puzzles, but sometimes gets distracted and needs cajoling to move along. He can become overwhelmed and in need of your immediate assistance as well.
But as you play, it’s obvious that his company doesn’t just help you through puzzles and fights, but also seems to be helping Kratos find within him the humanity he so long ago lost.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would really cool if they release a demo before the game comes out. Maybe if i get hands on, I might feel better about the combat.

DavidGzz

Well in the footage I posted you see that you have to use the kids arrows (square button) to actually be able to hit some enemies, so hopefully they really go out with his upgrades and stuff you can use him for in combat.

I know what enemy you speak of and another previewer said they were also able to hit her with their fists. The ax was too slow but his fists were quick enough. So you have two options. Pretty neat.

I know what enemy you speak of and another previewer said they were also able to hit her with their fists. The ax was too slow but his fists were quick enough. So you have two options. Pretty neat.
Missed him saying that. That's cool.

Random note I totally forgot about the ESRB listing hinting at more weapons besides the axe.

scydrex

Watched the 20min gameplay and i like the new combat system and the new additions. Now let´s wait for reviews and what is the story about.

Ar¢tos

Review copies should be out soon, less than a month till release date. Let's hope the embargo date isn't release day or the day before.

nowhat

I'm not sure if this has been already mentioned here (apologies if it has), but apparently the entire game is a "single shot". As something of a film buff I'm... intrigued, but at the same time it could absolutely backfire. There are wonderful examples of this done right (as recent examples Birdman, or that one scene in Children of Men - I'm not saying either is filmed with a single shot, but the illusion is good enough), but at the same time it can appear very pretentious. We'll see. But an interesting concept.

Last edited:
Every time I see Corey Barlog promoting this game I want to scream "JUDAS!" Dude was behind the best game in the series in GoW2 which had tremendous mechanics and was one of the better made hack and slash games in the period. Now he's back and we get this and all because he recently had a kid and had to share the experience with everyone. Blech.

iorek21

I gotta a feeling that all of these press footages and demos are a kind of half-truth

Something tells me that the game will be like this for something like half (or a little more), and then something will happen in the plot that will cause Kratos to go batshit crazy again, changing the pacing of the mechanics (more like the old titles)

Akuji

Every time I see Corey Barlog promoting this game I want to scream "JUDAS!" Dude was behind the best game in the series in GoW2 which had tremendous mechanics and was one of the better made hack and slash games in the period. Now he's back and we get this and all because he recently had a kid and had to share the experience with everyone. Blech.

Well u see, thats your way to see it. I LOVED God of War since i played the 1st one on the PSP and i think the Intro to GoW3 with all the Titans etc is absolutly insane. That being said, i like the new direction. So dunno why he is a Judas, he just changed a bit. I expect great reviews and the best GoW yet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd say the only thing that sucks is how it's being compared to X, Y, and Z when the first game was in a league all of its own.

That's not a bad thing actually. It just means we've come a long way since then as gamers.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'd say the only thing that sucks is how it's being compared to X, Y, and Z when the first game was in a league all of its own.

That's not a bad thing actually. It just means we've come a long way since then as gamers.

Weird, to me the original was Greek Mythology hack n slash that I would compare to Ninja Gaiden, DMC, and the other lesser known games like Beowulf. You saw it as an original game, gameplay-wise? Slash, slash ,slash roll. Didn't see much innovation which isn't a bad thing, it did what it did well. It was unique in its brutality, not much else.

DavidGzz

If you watch the b-roll footage and compare it to the new Dark Souls remastered footage, it's crazy how bad GoW makes DS look. I used to think those hit reactions were good in DS but now it looks so basic and ancient. I guess it should by now but it makes you appreciate the advances in animation more. 16 more days...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Weird, to me the original was Greek Mythology hack n slash that I would compare to Ninja Gaiden, DMC, and the other lesser known games like Beowulf. You saw it as an original game, gameplay-wise? Slash, slash ,slash roll. Didn't see much innovation which isn't a bad thing, it did what it did well. It was unique in its brutality, not much else.

I played Ninja Gaiden and DMC before I played God of War. The Blades of Chaos felt like whips. I felt like I was trapping and attacking.

You can do sword combos in NG and DMC, but at the moment I felt like Kratos could crowd control. Dante and Vergil were awesome because they were prepared with melee and projectiles. Ryu had awesome weapons, but his range except maybe the bow felt like he could control what was coming at him.

Everything from the scale of the environments, to whiplashing enemies into their QTE felt unique.

I remember God of War came out around the time DMC3 was out. I enjoyed each of them on PS2/Xbox. Nothing was better than DMC and then Ninja Gaiden stepped in and my outlook changed. Then God of War comes out and I'm taking down these creatures and enemies like I'm this killing machine with chains attached to it.

On a side note, I paid for my God of War at GameStop yesterday. Lousy car repairs this month made me trade some stuff. I've gone on my rants about how I want to keep my stuff, so I sold games I never played. :/

I thought God of War on PS2 was the Western Devil May Cry. It's one of the best action games from a Western developer.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I played Ninja Gaiden and DMC before I played God of War. The Blades of Chaos felt like whips. I felt like I was trapping and attacking.

You can do sword combos in NG and DMC, but at the moment I felt like Kratos could crowd control. Dante and Vergil were awesome because they were prepared with melee and projectiles. Ryu had awesome weapons, but his range except maybe the bow felt like he could control what was coming at him.

Everything from the scale of the environments, to whiplashing enemies into their QTE felt unique.

I remember God of War came out around the time DMC3 was out. I enjoyed each of them on PS2/Xbox. Nothing was better than DMC and then Ninja Gaiden stepped in and my outlook changed. Then God of War comes out and I'm taking down these creatures and enemies like I'm this killing machine with chains attached to it.

On a side note, I paid for my God of War at GameStop yesterday. Lousy car repairs this month made me trade some stuff. I've gone on my rants about how I want to keep my stuff, so I sold games I never played. :/

I thought God of War on PS2 was the Western Devil May Cry. It's one of the best action games from a Western developer.

Nice man, I see what you're saying. Great games all around. Awesome about getting your GoW paid off, can't friggin wait! I am probably just getting the digital version.

Top Bottom