• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gran Turismo 5 Trailer + Info (Global Servers)

amar212

Wax Free Vanilla said:
cote d'azur = no accurate f1 track configuration

Track configuration was very accurate to GP layout in terms of track.

Innacurate were the barriers and such, but the layout and flow were similar.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
played GT5 in 3D today - the Tokyo track

I've been down on 3D but this has made me a bit of a believer. I always don't feel the corners but in 3D it's really intuitive (especially with the wheel)

Only downside was the trees and side railing details looked dithered to hell and back - still , only a mild annoyance. I will not buy a 3D set that needs glasses, but the second we have good glassesless tvs which work well then i am all over it.

Eiji

jockamo said:
lets just throw in a fork lift game in there while we're at it. :lol

xpwpp4.jpg

Forking hell!

I'd buy it! :D

DCharlie said:

I've been down on 3D but this has made me a bit of a believer. I always don't feel the corners but in 3D it's really intuitive (especially with the wheel)

Only downside was the trees and side railing details looked dithered to hell and back - still , only a mild annoyance. I will not buy a 3D set that needs glasses, but the second we have good glassesless tvs which work well then i am all over it.

The trees? God, it's always the damn fucking 2D trees. Fix. This. Shit. PD.

RavenFox

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
http://imgur.com/4GtXT.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://imgur.com/Tx90U.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://imgur.com/g0jro.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://imgur.com/Yshrc.jpg[/MG]

[url]http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/Mr-Gran-Turismo-speaks-on-the-eve-of-GT5s-launch/[/url]

Credit to analog from GTplanet.[/QUOTE]
Kaz is the real f'ing deal. I cannot say anything bad about this man and his team. Thanks once again Solid. You are such an invaluable member.

I preordered it from newegg for $50, and now it's postponed. Would they still ship it when it releases? They haven't even sent me an email.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
brotkasten said:
Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that.

Trees do seem hard to get right. Games that attempt full 3D trees generally fail to represent them in a realistic fashion. PD seems to be going for a photo realistic look and most of those solutions won't cut it for the types of trees on their tracks. Unfortunately, 2D trees don't really cut it either. They can look really good in some situations, but many other angles reveal their limitations and ugliness. It's the one visual think they just can't seem to find a good solution for.

For this reason the city tracks almost all seem to look much more realistic in motion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
brotkasten said:

it depends. If DCharlie was looking all over the screen, concentrating partly on how well the 3D effect works, then you might see more of the trees than when you're concentrating on driving? so in the real game once you've finished gawping at the graphics, you probably don't notice them that much.

Firewire

Banned
dark10x said:
For this reason the city tracks almost all seem to look much more realistic in motion.

That's weird. In motion at like 160mph I don't really notice the 2D tree's at all. Maybe I'm spending to much time focused on the track in front of me.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I really don't like seeing a December 31, 2010 release date being listed on amazon.com. Please, Sony, get this game out this year!

torontoml

PjotrStroganov said:
[g[/IMG]

So, option to drive X1 with or without cockpit confirmed?
The cockpit is covered by a surrounding glass, so it just looks like its open cockpit. Picture taken from the inside.

AndyD said:
IT will be nice to take the X1 out vs the F2007, 787B and hopefully other monster cars.

They'll get killed by the X1. The fastest time on Suzuka in the F2007 in Prologue was a 1'28.062. Vettel's time on Suzuka in the X1 was a 1:11.540.

Firewire

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They'll get killed by the X1. The fastest time on Suzuka in the F2007 in Prologue was a 1'28.062. Vettel ran a 1:11.540 in the X1 on Suzuka.

It would be nice if PD recorded that and put it up on GT.com. I wonder if it will actually be an event within GT5.

I'd be a surprised if they don't have a video of it, especially since that time has been thrown around a lot. Hopefully we'll get a new video of it soon since it's been fully unveiled.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The '2D trees' are used to save up polygons.
Its the price we have to pay for the ZOMGWTFBBQ!!11!! detailed cars

Firewire

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
What's the reason that PD has to refer to Circuit de Monaco as Cote d'Azur in GT games?

I always assumed that somehow F1 owns the name Circuit de Monaco, but the fact that it's basically made from public roads allows PD to recreate it. PD probably just doesn't want to pay the outrageous fee's to use the name or something.

That's my guess.

SolidSnakex said:
What's the reason that PD has to refer to Circuit de Monaco as Cote d'Azur in GT games?

I'd bet a penny that it's a trademark that's probably only licensable within a package of trademarks pertaining to the F1 brand and thus is restricted. But I can't find it currently.

DCharlie said:

Samsung JUST announced their autostereoscopic tv's... they are like 20 inch though, and viewing angles are terrible, but if you have a cockpit setup, i guess that's not a problem.

phosphor112 said:
Samsung JUST announced their autostereoscopic tv's... they are like 20 inch though, and viewing angles are terrible, but if you have a cockpit setup, i guess that's not a problem.
give it 2-3 years. launch of the next consoles. 3D will be made of win...instead of glasses.

Dreams-Visions said:
give it 2-3 years. launch of the next consoles. 3D will be made of win...instead of glasses.
As someone who's been interested and doing research on 3D and how it works (there is a program at my school dedicated to 3d tech and 3d content) I don't see how much it can really improve. It has the limitations of projecting an image from a flat screen and the constraints of how many pixels you can fit using the lenticular or parallax barriers. There are certainly larger screens than the ones Samsung just released, but they still have the extremely shallow viewing angle, and with the way the technology currently works, it has really no way of improving, without adding millions and millions of more "slits" in which the pixels can be projected from.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
phosphor112 said:
As someone who's been interested and doing research on 3D and how it works (there is a program at my school dedicated to 3d tech and 3d content) I don't see how much it can really improve. It has the limitations of projecting an image from a flat screen and the constraints of how many pixels you can fit using the lenticular or parallax barriers. There are certainly larger screens than the ones Samsung just released, but they still have the extremely shallow viewing angle, and with the way the technology currently works, it has really no way of improving, without adding millions and millions of more "slits" in which the pixels can be projected from.

The only thing I have seen close to that is the Sony 360° circular screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAS55_RngoQ

As cool as it is though, it is not home cinema material, and would be fucking huge at 40"+

spwolf

Dreams-Visions said:

pigs will fly in 2-3 years eh? 2 years is such short time, there is no way for something completely new to come out and come at affordable prices. I doubt it will happen even at 5-6 years.

dogmaan said:
The only thing I have seen close to that is the Sony 360° circular screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAS55_RngoQ

As cool as it is though, it is not home cinema material, and would be fucking huge at 40"+
Yeah, but having something like that poses a problem. If more than 1 person is viewing the content, both people see a different image. Also, recording a show in anything other than "faux" 3D would be pretty much impossible.

Anyone here with good design skills wanna help me out with something for the GT5 Online Racing League thread?

dark10x said:
Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that.

Trees do seem hard to get right. Games that attempt full 3D trees generally fail to represent them in a realistic fashion. PD seems to be going for a photo realistic look and most of those solutions won't cut it for the types of trees on their tracks. Unfortunately, 2D trees don't really cut it either. They can look really good in some situations, but many other angles reveal their limitations and ugliness. It's the one visual think they just can't seem to find a good solution for.

They look good and accurate in motion when you're racing. That's the most important factor IMO. I really don't care if they look like cardboards on certain replay angles...

h3ro said:
:O
Yshrc.jpg

[]http://i56.tinypic.com/of3qmo.jpg[/IMG]

Yup, looks like it. :D

DSCN4922.JPG

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115188&page=145#post4068013
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115188&page=144#post4068009

More accurate one.

Fersis said:
The '2D trees' are used to save up polygons.
Its the price we have to pay for the ZOMGWTFBBQ!!11!! detailed cars
Gran Turismo 6, my friend. Fully polygonal, 3D trees with Leaftech™ technology which utilizes the power derived from the 7th SPU.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
phosphor112 said:

An industry rep (I believe from Toshiba, maybe?) last week said not to expect widespread glasses-free HDTVs for at least a decade, if not more.

Toxa

already posted ?
Sony Australia “Guarantees” Gran Turismo 5 By Christmas

christmas-guarantee.jpg

In a knowing nod to those of us anxiously awaiting GT5's new release date, Sony Australia has announced a new 3D TV / PlayStation 3 promotional bundle - which includes a copy of Gran Turismo 5 - with “guaranteed delivery by Christmas”.

Here's how it works: buy a new Bravia 3D TV, be one of the first 21,000 people to submit your proof of purchase to Sony, and you'll have a new 160GB PS3, two pairs of 3D glasses, two 3D Blu-Ray movies, four PS3 game download vouchers, and one copy of Gran Turismo 5 delivered to your house before December 25th. If you're an Australian in the market for a 3D television set, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me - get the details here.

Yes, Sony already told us GT5 would be here in time for the “holiday season” when they first announced its delay, but this should be reassuring to those of you who are understandably skeptical. I'd also like to reiterate that some of the retailer dates you're seeing across the web and your local game store mean nothing - they're simply placeholders to make customers feel comfortable pre-ordering the game with that particular store. When the real date is announced, it will be news to all of us.

Is that GT5 GameStop ad going to be all over IGN all day? Every time I go there I see an ad at the top of the page and a smaller one slightly below it.

AndyD said:
I would buy a 3D Bravia with a deal like that in NA.
They seem to do that a lot in Australia. I guess it works well for them.

I wonder if they realise that the "All I want for Christmas" bit has history...

DCharlie said:

youve got a long wait my friend.

-super expensive right now
-viewing angle is for shit

Wow, I expected a new release date to be announced by now. The wait for a new date has me a little worried that it will be later than sooner.

Loudninja

DoctorWho said:
Wow, I expected a new release date to be announced by now. The wait for a new date has me a little worried that it will be later than sooner.
They already said they will announced one at the end of the month.

Top Bottom