• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens and interview

1m6ylx.jpg

2jyzfg.jpg

30aaj5.jpg

4xiyj2.jpg

54ulge.jpg

6cxy23.jpg

70abnw.jpg

8w8xek.jpg

95yzfg.jpg

10pub1z.jpg

grand-theft-auto-v_20kvok6.jpg

http://gematsu.com/gallery/grand-theft-auto-v/november-12-2012/

Ok, so here's some tidbits from the the Dutch website Gamer.nl GTA V preview:

- GTA V is 5 times bigger than the world of Red Dead Redemption, according to the author.

- Author was amazed and in awe when he saw Michael riding the bike for the first time. The game world is very detailed.

Source:

Preview --> http://www.gamer.nl/preview/402934/grand-theft-auto-v

Screens: http://www.gamer.nl/achtergrond/403017/screenshots-van-gta-v

Both websites Gamer.nl and InsideGamer also have interviews with Dan Houser from Rockstar.

Im not going to completely translate the Dutch interviews from Gamer.nl and InsideGamer.nl but I've received these direct quotes from the interviewer (Simon Zijlemans) himself:

Dan Houser about using three playable characters in GTAV:
Link: http://www.insidegamer.nl/artikel/101648/gta-5-insidegamer-interviewt-dan-houser-van-rockstar-games

IG: I can imagine the meeting you have, the discussions about where you're going to take the game. And then...
Dan Houser: We don’t really have those. It’s all a few emails, it’s quite weird.

IG: But the moment someone says, 'Let's do multiple characters'?
Dan doubtfully glances at his colleague
DH: Was that an email? Someone discussed it and send around a couple of emails – that was probably my brother [Sam Houser, -ed], myself, Aron and Leslie: ‘What do you think? We have to do something different. What about this?’ And someone just went: ‘Yeah, why not.’ And no one went: ‘No, let’s not.’ Everyone was like: ‘Alright, let’s go for it.’ We’ve always worked… We don’t have a lot of meetings, partially because some of us are in New York and most of us are in Schotland.

Then the designers were originally doing missions for characters as in: he would do a mission, then another character would do a mission. You know, three for him, two for him, five for him…etc. It seemed like it might be interesting and the designers were beginning to do that, and they suddenly came up with this idea: why don’t we just have more than one character on a mission. In the begin it was like this: we just want to go on a mission together. So I’m the star of the mission and when it’s my mission, you’re just the NPC. Then someone said: yeah, but why can’t I be him in this bit?

Because he could be doing something more fun, while you’re doing boring stuff. That was when the switching on-mission came on. And then we had this feature suddenly, we felt was good a storytelling device, good as an off-mission device and good as an on-mission device. We thought it was brilliant, like it was a really great feature. That was sort of up and running. But only very recently we got it working, that was the concept, and it sort of worked really janky. And now it looks good in the game.

Dan Houser about GTA in a city outside of the USA:

IG: Would a GTA in, let's say Europe or Amsterdam, would it work?
Dan Houser: I don’t know. I thought about it. A lot. Argued it every which way. I think, my own sense, speaking for myself and not for the company, is that it’s as much a product Americana… That’s such a big part of the game. You know, you could make a great game set in Amsterdam. Would it be GTA? I don’t know. We haven’t done it, so I can’t really offer a comment or an opinion on it. We’ve avoided it because we think that part of the experience of GTA is its engagement with America, or American media, American movies, American culture or whatever. Some kind of Americana is such a part of the games, that in removing that, it would bizarrely make them lose their universality.

Finally, Houser told Gamer.nl how Rockstar keeps GTA relevant. The studio doesn't think of GTA as a series, more as seperate games that happen to share
similar mechanics.
Link: http://www.gamer.nl/interview/403013/interview-met-dan-houser-van-rockstar-games

-Winnie-

The lighting is beautiful but the models have this odd plasticy look to them. I haven't played Max Payne 3, but how does this compare to that graphics-wise?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clay: The Game

Serious post: five times the size of RDR is some kind of stupid crazy. Surely all of Rockstar are on this.

Dantis

And once more, the limitations of this generation rear their ugly head.

It saddens me when even the biggest games fail to do anything new technologically.

Bring on the next gen. Yes.

Clay: The Game

The lighting is beautiful but the models have this odd plasticy look to them. I haven't played Max Payne 3, but how does this compare to that graphics-wise?

The texture works is really, really lowres (take a look at parkingmeter texture) but this is understandable given:

- the size of the game
- the hardware it runs on (dat RAM)

I know we cannot port beg etc. but it is easy to imagine a future PC version will have better textures.

persongr

I really liked Houser's response to GTA Europe. Finally a no-nonsense producer who knows what he wants from his game.

UrbanRats

I don't know what some of you are on about (vita graphics?) it looks mindblowing to me.

Sleepy Dawgs has spoiled me for open world visuals. Not impressed.

The scale doesn't really compare, then again i played Sleeping Dogs on PC maxed out, so the HW doesn't compare either.

Tr4nce

That Trevor guy has had my interest from the first time I saw him. Best protag ever so far. But Michael is boss as well!

Those screens look great, especially the one with Trevor walking on the street. What kind of car is that anyway, in that screen? The one that is partially behind a parking meter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The texture works is really, really lowres (take a look at parkingmeter texture) but this is understandable given:

- the size of the game
- the hardware it runs on (dat RAM)

I know we cannot port beg etc. but it is easy to imagine a future PC version will have better textures.

Fo sho, but it's an issue I have with basically every game running on Rockstar's current generation engine. Red Dead Redemption, GTAIV PC, Max Payne 3 PC, etc. Something about the normal mapping and the way lighting/shadows are cast makes, to me, everything look like it was sculpted out of clay. Even when the games are maxed out and quite impressive on PC, like Max Payne 3.

This looks on par. And it's not really a console thing, so much as Rockstar's aesthetics. The lighting to me looks weirdly murky and gross, and everything is lit in a strangely drab, unattractive way. Not gritty, just really bland and gross.

It's an issue I've never had with Rockstar until this generation though. Maybe it's a product of their current generation engine optimisation and artistic choices that will fade out with superior power next generation.

volpone

Banned
The lightning is phenomenal, but the game seems to have this weird rubbery overlay. Is that because of the texture's or shaders? Edit: nevermind Eatchildren seems to have covered that above.

I wonder how the framerate will hold up.

Fjordson

I love the how expansive the non-urban areas seem to be. I guess we've known that would be in the game for a while now, but it seems truly massive. And I like that it won't just be empty desert or whatever. The shot of Trevor walking through the smaller town is great (dude with the jean jacket on and the "Famous" sign in the background).

Top Bottom