• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Green Day song is out and yeah...

Dark Star

Sounds like one of those songs you hear in a JCPenny's Back-To-School TV commercial or something. Sounds like if the White Stripes signed to a money-hungry, factory-farm styled record label, and were forced at gunpoint to produce the most upbeat and over-processed song ever. It's a lame, but not offensive, generic, radio-friendly White Stripes song (and Meg White is also replaced by a break-beat loop machine lol).

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sounds like something they would have done as Foxborough Hottubs and not as Green Day.

It’s still better then that bullshit they did with Miranda Lambert.

Greenday in 2019. Wtf did you expect.

Green Day in 2019 eh, Green Day has been political since 2004 lol :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

Do you guys listen to the lyrics?

Hear the sound of the falling rain
Coming down like an Armageddon flame (hey!)
A shame
The ones who died without a name
Hear the dogs howlin' out of key
To a hymn called faith and misery (hey!)
And bleed, the company lost the war today
I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
On holiday
Hear the drum pounding out of time
Another protester has crossed the line (hey!)
To find, the money's on the other side
Can I get another Amen (Amen!)
There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (hey!)
A gag, A plastic bag on a monument
On holiday
"The representative from California has the floor"
Sieg Heil to the president gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government
Bang bang goes the broken glass and
Kill all the fags that don't agree
Trials by fire setting fire
Is not a way that's meant for me
Just cause
Just cause
Because we're outlaws yeah!
This is our lives on Holiday

Holiday is still a dope song tho.

Green Day in 2019 eh, Green Day has been political since 2004 lol :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

Do you guys listen to the lyrics?

Hear the sound of the falling rain
Coming down like an Armageddon flame (hey!)
A shame
The ones who died without a name
Hear the dogs howlin' out of key
To a hymn called faith and misery (hey!)
And bleed, the company lost the war today
On holiday
Hear the drum pounding out of time
Another protester has crossed the line (hey!)
To find, the money's on the other side
Can I get another Amen (Amen!)
There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (hey!)
A gag, A plastic bag on a monument
On holiday
"The representative from California has the floor"
Sieg Heil to the president gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government
Bang bang goes the broken glass and
Kill all the fags that don't agree
Trials by fire setting fire
Is not a way that's meant for me
Just cause
Just cause
Because we're outlaws yeah!
This is our lives on Holiday

Holiday is still a dope song tho.

I mean wasn’t the album called “American Idiot?”

I don’t think they were being subtle in their political commentary.

Thaedolus

I like kerplunk and 38/smooth as whole albums. I like random songs off every one of their albums after those but not after american idiot. Dookie as a whole is overrated.

Ehhhh I was with you until you called Dookie overrated. It's a pretty lightning in a bottle kind of moment. Everything else is spot on though, they had one last flash of brilliance with American Idiot and never got it back. At least from a writing standpoint, from what I've seen of them live on Youtube they still seem like they can bring it.

brap

Banned
Ehhhh I was with you until you called Dookie overrated. It's a pretty lightning in a bottle kind of moment. Everything else is spot on though, they had one last flash of brilliance with American Idiot and never got it back. At least from a writing standpoint, from what I've seen of them live on Youtube they still seem like they can bring it.
It's too middle of the road for me. Not poppy enough and not fast enough. I'm also tired of it from listening to it like 800 times as a kid.

Holy balls that's bad. Sounds like a generic rock song for a video game car commercial.

Looks like Rosenstock is still the king of post-Trump punk.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ugh so overproduced and gross. then again i'm a bit biased probably haven't liked GD in 20 years.

I had a tape of Dookie as a kid, learned all the words by heart. Got a few other albums but lost interest. Warning was probably the last thing by them I was into.

the one time I was arrested I remember the cops were listening to Green Day and I was like, yeah, this band is definitely dead to me.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I'm also tired of it from listening to it like 800 times as a kid.

For me I'd hear snippets of it here and there 800 times as a kid because my older sister had that shit on in her room seemingly on repeat, but I eventually gave it a full playthrough on my own later and came to really appreciate it. But I get that music can feel worn out over time.

A little background on the new album...

“I told my engineer, ‘I might look like a fucking idiot, but bear with me,’” says Armstrong. The song, he says, “was like a unicorn falling out of the sky: ‘I don’t know what this is, I don’t know how I did it, but this is the direction I’m headed.’ ” The song became the title track of Green Day’s new album, Father of All . . ., out February 7th, which has the band experimenting with danceable grooves, wiry riffs, and sounds that can range from New Wave to vintage R&B. “Billie was pushing himself to get to a newer place,” says bassist Mike Dirnt. “We had to chase that down. Which is par for the course, because nobody digs deeper than Billie.”

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah they've sucked for quite some time now. This is the only song I enjoy by them nowadays, it's from the 30 second punk song album Short Music for Short People

Wow, that was surprisingly bland. Sounds like some random rock band from a random movie soundtrack.
Then against, a lot of the punk bands ended up getting more and more boring towards the mid-2000s. LIke Empire Strikes First was a so-so Bad Religion album, with a few standouts like All There Is and To Another Abyss. Same with NOFX and War on Errorism. Same with Green Day and American Idiot. Most of the very politically driven albums based around GWB and the Iraq Wars ended up being just okay. I don't think it's just because it's political though, as the albums by Millencolin at the same time was also so-so. It might be a lot of the cleaner, more pop-ish elements intruding on the bands and their sounds. Along with problems trying to write lyrics for the songs.

I honestly don't think most of the old bands have what it takes to function nowadays. Not only is punk a bit out of style (sadly), but they're so old that they'll risk alienating just about everyone if trying for a new sound. There's a lot of fun in punk that might be a hit nowadays, but I don't think any of the bands can capture that, more so in a modern style of punk that appeals to current youth. Then again, the pendulum will swing and punk will sooner or later get in style again.

Ryllix_

This is decent. Sounds like people in This thread are not familiar with green days late 90s and early 2000s generic rock sound.

Last edited:

Ixion

I think this song is pretty good, and better than what I was expecting for current Green Day. I was taken a bit by surprise with the electronic sounding kick drums, distorted high-pitched vocals, and psychedelic effects used.

Also, it's pretty heavy, upbeat, and catchy. Not to mention this album won't be political at all, which is refreshing from them. Hopefully this album is like a better, more concise version of UNO DOS TRE (their last attempt at something fun and non-political).

Last edited:
Top Bottom