• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 Mp screenz - new maps: Epitah, Shrine and Last Resort - Brute Chopper

Tieno

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/800/800896p1.html
Since not everyone checks the beast that is the Halo 3 Beta thread.

Confirmed:
-Customizable armor and helmets
-You can take screenshots and upload them to bungie.net
-More equipment to come (total is in single digits): Jammer messes up radar which leads to chaos.
-Brute chopper is great for ramming into people, lots of pointy stuff and blades for extra damage.
-Still more unnanounced maps than announced maps
-Stitch all the H3 MP maps together and still not as big as a SP map
-MAP: Shrine (desert map) is huge, biggest map. Best for vehicles
-MAP: Epitaph is Forerunner 'cathedral'
-MAP: Last Resort is remake of Zanzibar
-Bungie SP/MP team is about 80-20% devide in people

VIDEO : if you want to see Epitaph and Last Resort in action check this dutch preview video from a few weeks ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGIEy6NE8g

SCREENSHOTS
edit: updated and replaced some pics with the better 720p screenshots taken from Blim's xboxyde.com
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_4523_en.html who doesn't compress screenshots to shit like IGN.

Epitaph

798_0001.jpg

halo-3-20070701092605561.jpg

halo-3-20070701092606467.jpg

halo-3-20070701092736513.jpg

halo-3-20070701092737388.jpg

halo-3-20070701092739747.jpg

halo-3-20070701092740544.jpg

798_0002.jpg

halo-3-20070701092743044.jpg

798_0003.jpg

Shrine

halo-3-20070701092609404.jpg

halo-3-20070701094014643.jpg

halo-3-20070701094015597.jpg

Last Resort

798_0011.jpg

798_0012.jpg

halo-3-20070701092820840.jpg

halo-3-20070701092806497.jpg

halo-3-20070701092612529.jpg

halo-3-20070701092811559.jpg

halo-3-20070701092808309.jpg

halo-3-20070701092743856.jpg

798_0009.jpg

798_0006.jpg

798_0007.jpg

798_0008.jpg

798_0010.jpg

Valhalla

798_0016.jpg

798_0018.jpg

798_0017.jpg

High Ground

halo-3-20070701092741341.jpg

798_0005.jpg

Snowbound

798_0014.jpg

halo-3-20070701092611748.jpg

Brute Chopper

119528-7-2.jpg

119528-10-2.jpg

119528-12-2.jpg

Those blades at the pedals will cut you!
119528-14-2.jpg

119528-4-2.jpg

(SP?) Artwork

halo-3-20070701114824498.jpg

Quotes from the IGN Q&A (provided by Ghaleon): http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/800/800901p1.html

Jaime Griesemer: It's not as bad as Halo 2. Halo 2 was a hell-crunch. Right up until the end, the 'cliff'. The big difference is, in Halo 2, we were crunching like madmen just to finish the game. Now we're still crunching like madmen, but we're crunching to add that extra polish and shine. That's a lot easier.

IGN: Why was there so much mystery surrounding the X button? Was this a hype tool? Or was its function still up in the air?

Jaime: Honestly, when we first showed it, the reason why we weren't talking about it was because the pieces of equipment we had were not ready to show. We had a lot of placeholder art, code that wasn't done and only a few pieces that were done, in-engine. We weren't really ready to show it. It was sort of obvious that there was something big missing from the control scheme. So it wasn't really done to build hype - I don't really remember anyone proclaiming "This will change the way you play videogames!".

Jaime Griesemer: We actually don't know what the final equipment count will be - it depends on how many we can get in. And there may be some items in single player that we won't use in multiplayer. We're really focusing on more interesting pieces of equipment rather than a large quantity of equipment, because we didn't want to run into the problem where there were so many pieces of equipment that you couldn't really keep track of them all. They only had one really specific use, so what we tried to do was keep it pretty small; I'd say single digits, probably.

IGN: You've gone all-out with documentaries, weekly updates, the Open Beta. Why so much emphasis on transparency in development?

Tyson Green: Well, we were so busy on Halo 2 just trying to figure out the processes and getting it done that we couldn't really talk about it - and because there wasn't as much to talk about.

Jaime Griesemer: Bungie's always been 'open' but 'not open'. I mean, we did weekly updates all throughout Halo 2, so in some ways we're super-open about our process. Then in other ways, not at all! I mean, nobody, nobody is getting any preview of the story [in Halo 3]. Not a glimpse. It's sort of that 'open-hand, closed-hand' policy that we've always had. I think the big difference is now is that there's enough stuff going on that there is a lot of interesting stuff to show people. I think that is the big thing.

IGN: Why the secrecy surrounding the single player experience?

Jaime Griesemer: The public beta is our focus for this summer. That's our big roll-out, our big reveal of the game. We're just not going to talk very much about single player because that is the big 'secret stuff' that we're saving for people.

Tyson Green: People invest a lot of weight in Halo's story, and its campaign is very important to them. You wanna save that until the end so that it's a good surprise, a good reveal. It's like talking about a movie before it comes out.
IGN: That's a good point, and it's something that highlights a question of team sizes and internal emphasis. Is it a 50/50 split workforce developing the single player as opposed to multiplayer? What's the ratio?

Tyson Green: No, definitely not - it's more like 80/20. There's a handful of guys like me who work on both. So it's probably like 15 percent totally dedicated to multiplayer and maybe another 20 percent who overlap. The thing is, if you took every single multiplayer map and stitched them together into this unholy fusion of a multiplayer map, it would probably be about the same size as some of the single-player maps, right?

Jaime Griesemer: Yeah - half of a small single-player mission!

Tyson Green: The use of space in single player is so much different than it is in multiplayer. You need more art resources to accomplish something like single player. You need more designers paying attention to every square inch. Multiplayer can afford to be a little bit smaller.

Jaime Griesemer: Although I would say the number of people working on multiplayer in Halo 3 is the same as the number who worked on all of Halo 1. This is a lot bigger.

I knew someone would do this eventually...Ghaleon's beta thread seemed immune to all general forms of thread death. He must have magical powers.

Chinner

Banned
Look's like they've bumped up the distance in which foilage it renders. I loved it in the beta, but it would always be ruined when it went out of the apprioate LOD distance (noticable in mancannon and when looking across the map). Looks like they've also put in reflective visors as well. Sweet.

fernoca

Looks great, but come on Bungie!
SP (Single player) screens!!!..
We already know how the MP mode looks..heck we already played it!!! :lol

cluto

AdmiralViscen said:
Most shots look great, but the bike looks really ugly.
The Brutes will be pleased to hear their Chopper doesn't look prettyful.

Tieno: where art thou second P in Epitaph?

Okin

I hope that's real anti aliasing, and not bullshot stuff.

Also, is it really hard for the engine to push polygons? The brute chopper could really use some.

Otherwise, I really like the lighting on the chiefs. I would like to hear more about that.

Damn it looks good. Hopefully multiplayer achievements aren't limited to ranked matches(I really don't have the patience for getting stuck with and/or against random players anymore).

Karg

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Damn it looks good. Hopefully multiplayer achievements aren't limited to ranked matches(I really don't have the patience for getting stuck with and/or against random players anymore).

Most of the MP achievements are from ranked FFA matches. All are pretty reasonable. And the ones that aren't FFA specific you can do is any ranked playlist or campaign.

The maps look great (except that dark, really sparse one, but I suppose it will serve well in terms of gameplay), but that chopper looks like a clump of something moreso than a vehicle. It'll probably make a lot more sense in motion though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the brute chopper is a total mess -- like a random piece of one of the movie transformers. doesn't even look like it would move. i understand that they were going for something very unlike the sleek purple covenant vehicles, but it doesn't appear to come off. in bungie we trust, but my one real worry about halo 3 campaign is that brutes won't be cool, even if they've been tuned up as adversaries.

Karg said:
Most of the MP achievements are from ranked FFA matches. All are pretty reasonable. And the ones that aren't FFA specific you can do is any ranked playlist or campaign.

Shucks. Well I guess that isn't so bad as long as they're reasonable. If it was like say Call of Duty 3's multiplayer achievements then yeesh..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Bluemercury said:
Graphic wise its lacking comparing to other 360 titles.....

i dont see how anyone can look at a screen such as this

halo-3-20070701092744606.jpg

and say that with a straight face. i mean even discounting the fact that halo's scale and epic-ness absolutely destroys gears, this stands up incredibly well graphically IMO. i guess its the fact that halo multiplayer, by design, is relatively straight forward.

drohne said:
the brute chopper is a total mess -- like a random piece of one of the movie transformers. doesn't even look like it would move. i understand that they were going for something very unlike the sleek purple covenant vehicles, but it doesn't appear to come off. in bungie we trust, but my one real worry about halo 3 campaign is that brutes won't be cool, even if they've been tuned up as adversaries.

If Halo tradition holds up, the Brutes (with Jackal and Grunt allies) won't be the only adversaries during the entire game. At some point, the flood has to show up and even the possiblity of fighting Elites and Hunters again.

And who knows, maybe some new baddies will show up...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
drohne said:

Actually, marketing polls have shown that people love Halo but really truly wish they could shoot more hulking ape-men that ride motorcycles in future entries. Bungie is merely servicing that desire.

Okin

If anything, Halo 3's graphics are very inconsistent. Some screens look OMFG awesome, but then some, like this one, look like an EA game.

halo-3-20070701092602842.jpg

GhaleonEB

I started a thread with the same content then got hauled into a meeting unexpectedly. My only suggestion to Tieno is to organize the pics in the OP into sections, one for each map, and include the Last Resort arial shots a few posts up.

The new shots are amazing. Some subtle lighting and detail touches make them look better than the Beta, and new map designs as great. Shifting Zanzibar into larger, more vehicle-friendly map will keep it interesting throughout rounds, and Shrine looks just stunning. The lighting in Epitaph is gorgeous.

Halo 3 MP is shaping up to be inredibly impressive visually, and we still have only seen less than half the maps, and almost none of the features.

Hot damn. Is it E3 yet?

GhaleonEB

Okin said:
If anything, Halo 3's graphics are very inconsistent. Some screens look OMFG awesome, but then some, like this one, look like an EA game.

halo-3-20070701092602842.jpg
Part of the reason for that is there is mixed compression going on. Some look native, others like this one have some nasty compression artifacting. I think IGN sized them all the same way, but that's not how Bungie provided'em.

Top Bottom