• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

arhra

The game looks OK I guess, but it's hard to form an opinion considering how bad the press is at playing Halo (as usual) Until I see a good player playing on Heroic or Legendary I can only speak about how nice and smooth it looks. Great to see a (new) Halo game running at 60fps (this would have never happened with Bungie)

Check the Xboxygen videos. No idea what difficulty they played on, but at least the person at the controls knows how to noob combo and doesn't try to snipe across the map with an assault rifle.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Check the Xboxygen videos. No idea what difficulty they played on, but at least the person at the controls knows how to noob combo and doesn't try to snipe across the map with an assault rifle.
Moreconsole's video is good too.

RSB

Banned
Yeah, using the noob combo is usually a good indicator they know what they're doing. Will check it out.

"Charge at the humans! But wave your arms to confuse them!"

"The humans always do what the Arbiter says."

There's so many more gems LOL

Whoever is writing Grunt dialogue deserves a raise.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If we're being nitpicky about little details, how about the fact that 343i loves to give blue/minor Elites swords? Annoys me to no end. I don't care about any fan theory, because from a purely game design and visual identity perspective it's broken. Some of the most intense moments in Halo are when you spot a high ranking Elite that begins charging at you with a sword. A lot of that forward thinking and prioritization of targets elements seem gone purely for the sake of change.

That bolded suspicion almost never makes sense. Making games is expensive and time-consuming, and you may not like a decision, or its effects, regardless of what the game is, bit the bolded statement is almost never true. I'm sure it is sometimes, but rationally speaking, very, very rarely.

Our AI and encounters take place in a bigger sandbox than before, and I've talked about verticality a lot as it relates to player-controlled characters, but it's also true that path and route finding are now a bigger part of AI enemy behavior and so their abilities, techniques and weapons have been positioned, triggered and used with that in mind.

I am REALLY enjoying the way our AI bad guys fight, and when you use your squad properly, either with your own squad commands or your real friends online, you'll see scenarios play out in really interesting new ways that it's hard to judge through simple observation - you start to get a feel for it as early as the first mission.

Anyway I can't tell you that you should like it, but I suspect you'll get a different vibe from playing.

Stinkles

Okay, I get it. 343 doesn't care about Forge.

I'll just stop hoping for it to be good. Maybe I'll be surprised but considering they still don't want to talk about it, I doubt it.

Forge is improved significantly and we'll talk about it more, closer to the game's launch.

Yeah those guys and moreconsoles are really good, enjoyable to watch when you see people actually know how to play Halo.

Ominym

Banned
That bolded suspicion almost never makes sense. Making games is expensive and time-consuming, and you may not like a decision, or its effects, regardless of what the game is, bit the bolded statement is almost never true. I'm sure it is sometimes, but rationally speaking, very, very rarely.

I never questioned that making games is expensive, time consuming, and clearly a labor of love. And I think it's unrealistic to make a statement like that and assume it means things don't get overlooked or deprioritized as a principle. Brilliant people make mistakes and forget about nuances.

You're absolutely right, I don't like the decision. I think it's visually inconsistent and pointlessly bends universe rules for little to no benefit to the player. If there's a great justification for why this takes place and benefits the player I'd love to know, but it isn't existent in Halo 4 where this issue took place before. Maybe Halo 5 will offer the answer.

I get it. I'm not saying that 343i doesn't have long, protracted debates about lore, character design, or consistency. But I, as a long time fan of the series, often notice little inconsistencies here and there. And while they may be readily apparent to you since you work there? It doesn't exactly mean anything to me or anyone else outside the studio. I wasn't there. You could've been the very person sticking your feet in the ground about such a decision, attempting to keep inconsistencies at bay. But I wouldn't ever have any idea. I can only go off what I see, and I see inconsistency. Empathy works both ways.

moonbeam

I love the look of the game, especially in darker parts - the lighting is beautiful. However, what's up with the motion blur? Is this still a work in progress? Perhaps a technical limitation?

Im curious If the Jackals have some new CQC melee moves at their disposal? A lot of the gameplay vids just shows the Jackal AI "jet packing" right into close proximity with the spartan players, I first I thought they had bombs attached to them or something lol. Also whoever decided Halo 5 would be 60FPS, should get a damn raise. The preview vids are just butter smooth, already missing the beta :(

Stinkles

Im curious If the Jackals have some new CQC melee moves at their disposal? A lot of the gameplay vids just shows the Jackal AI "jet packing" right into close proximity with the spartan players, I first I thought they had bombs attached to them or something lol. Also whoever decided Halo 5 would be 60FPS, should get a damn raise. The preview vids are just butter smooth, already missing the beta :(

Technically that might have been Dark10xxx in like, 1998.

No, but hearing him do it at lunch or at a bar is weirdly hilarious.

It's always funny to take a step back and realize how weird Halo is, shooting little gnomish aliens in the face while they run around and scream in high pitch voices. It's strange, but endearing.

I never questioned that making games is expensive, time consuming, and clearly a labor of love. And I think it's unrealistic to make a statement like that and assume it means things don't get overlooked or deprioritized as a principle. Brilliant people make mistakes and forget about nuances.

You're absolutely right, I don't like the decision. I think it's visually inconsistent and pointlessly bends universe rules for little to no benefit to the player. If there's a great justification for why this takes place and benefits the player I'd love to know, but it isn't existent in Halo 4 where this issue took place before. Maybe Halo 5 will offer the answer.

I get it. I'm not saying that 343i doesn't have long, protracted debates about lore, character design, or consistency. But I, as a long time fan of the series, often notice little inconsistencies here and there. And while they may be readily apparent to you since you work there? It doesn't exactly mean anything to me or anyone else outside the studio. I wasn't there. You could've been the very person sticking your feet in the ground about such a decision, attempting to keep inconsistencies at bay. But I wouldn't ever have any idea. I can only go off what I see, and I see inconsistency. Empathy works both ways.

Wouldn't it make sense that, essentially Covenant irregulars would have different equipment? You haven't found the Covenant proper in 4 or (as far as I know) 5.. So it doesn't bother me that things are different.

Ominym

Banned
Wouldn't it make sense that, essentially Covenant irregulars would have different equipment? You haven't found the Covenant proper in 4 or (as far as I know) 5.. So it doesn't bother me that things are different.

You might not've seen it because it's a page or so back, but I wasn't talking about the change from a lore perspective.

Mix

Man, everything looks absolutely amazing. Loving it all, and I can't wait for Forge news.

Only concern at this point is how your shields can recharge right away in campaign, and not have to go through the cool down. idk, something that has been bothering me a little.

IJoel

H5 is looking soooo good.

kristen-bell-so-excited.gif

I really hope there's plenty of story exposition, as opposed to what happened with H4 and the terminals.

Trup1aya

It's bad and lazy game design. If you're just looking at it from a lore perspective you're doing it wrong.

Link

Oh, please enlighten me then. Because last time I checked only the higher ranking Elites were allowed to use them. They bred specifically for it even, but yeah sure I must not know what I'm talking about.

You don't seem to be able to decide if it's a lore issue or a design issue...

If you think the color of the elite played any part in how fun it has been to engage sword yielding elites, then I say you are one of the few who gives a shit...

I've taken on blue, white, red, and yellow armored elites with swords between H1 and H4... And their color didn't mean much, I was more focused on killing them before they killed me, regardless of their rank...

I understand that you've grown fond of using armor color to help you decide which enemies you would take on first... Now you'll have to use a different method because the the enemy is employing a different battlefield behavior. It's not objectively worse for the gamer, just different.

Lore wise, there's no reason why existing Coventant elites would discriminate when it comes to issuing armor and swords... Their hierarchical structure was destroyed in halo 3.

Madness

Man, everything looks absolutely amazing. Loving it all, and I can't wait for Forge news.

Only concern at this point is how your shields can recharge right away in campaign, and not have to go through the cool down. idk, something that has been bothering me a little.

Consequence of more enemies on screen at one time and different levels, so harder to recharge if they keep going down due to some random grunt shooting? But you're right, they are charging almost instantly. Then again, it's like someone said earlier in this thread, why is the journo just running and gunning as lone wolf, not exploring routes or commanding his team. We're used to almost 15 years of Halo as a certain way in campaign?

The first time you encounter sword elites in CE they don't even have shields, pretty sure Fleet Security Stealth Elites are not high ranked. Swords are never exclusive to high ranking elites in Halo.
Consequence of more enemies on screen at one time and different levels, so harder to recharge if they keep going down due to some random grunt shooting? But you're right, they are charging almost instantly. Then again, it's like someone said earlier in this thread, why is the journo just running and gunning as lone wolf, not exploring routes or commanding his team. We're used to almost 15 years of Halo as a certain way in campaign?

No one ever played Republic Commando I guess, not sure if a lot of them actually played a lot of Halo either.

Montresor

Locke: FIRE TEAM OSIRIS, THE LIGHT IS GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Blue: *quiet, unassuming non-banter*

I'm on #TeamLocke and #TeamOsiris

I don't think I noticed until now but 60fps Halo feels wieeeeeeeeerd

Have you played any MCC? I honestly dont think I can go back to 30fps Halo which makes me disappointed that they seem to be content that Reach will be on Xbox One through backwards compatibility rather than a MCC add on.

I also hope the next full release of Destiny is 60fps as well.

shireman

Banned
I love how Blue Team and Osiris are portrayed completely different when it comes to combat situations. Osiris goes in guns blazing while Blue Team uses a smart method to avoid initial firefights. Shows the difference between Spartan IIs and IVs. Very Cool.

Love the Cortona bits at the beginning. This is gonna be great.

MaGlock

I need multiplayer footage and I need to see forge. Why so greedy stinkles. I know multiplayer on Friday but I need to know about forge. How do I get classified clearance??

Some of them, since I misspoke in an earlier post, so this is like a sexy necrobump, or sexcrobump, which I just, and immediately regretted, coined.

Pretty awesome to have him return.

Do all the Covenant speak English now, or will they occasionally switch back to their native languages?

Top Bottom