• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo blog post addresses graphics

Kagey K

Banned
Pretty odd that so many people liked the gameplay. To me, Not being a hardcore Halo Fan, the gameplay looked very boring...

2-3 Enemies Run out of a Hangar shoot, Masterchief Shoots, dead. No physics, explosions nothing. The highest Emotion, in
regards to to interactive gameplay, has been the hook and Masterchief using it looked like a pig being transported to the slaughterhouse. Being a super static and boring looking way of moving..

To me there is much more than "Just" graphics and to be honest, this game should rather be delayed, in Order to ne polished.
Sounds like someone who has never understood Halo and didn’t see the nuance going on.

Like when he shot the gas barrel in the hanger and nuked half of what was about to come after him.

Or is that no explosion enough for you?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty odd that so many people liked the gameplay. To me, Not being a hardcore Halo Fan, the gameplay looked very boring...

2-3 Enemies Run out of a Hangar shoot, Masterchief Shoots, dead. No physics, explosions nothing. The highest Emotion, in
regards to to interactive gameplay, has been the hook and Masterchief using it looked like a pig being transported to the slaughterhouse. Being a super static and boring looking way of moving..

To me there is much more than "Just" graphics and to be honest, this game should rather be delayed, in Order to ne polished.
They played it on easy to get a quick flow going. Don't worry, it's not that simple on Legendary.

Flintty

That’s a very fair response from 343 and I agree with them on the art style. I certainly prefer it to how they were headed before.

They just need to feed the glitches, lighting and character models.

FireFly

They played it on easy to get a quick flow going. Don't worry, it's not that simple on Legendary.
Right, Halo combat on Heroic or above is all about staying in cover and finding the right opportunities to to attack. If you're playing on Easy and just mindlessly blasting enemies, all of that is lost.

That's why Heroic is the "intended" difficulty setting in a Halo game.

DavidGzz

So it wasn't from months ago like people were trying to damage control and tell me lmao.

Feeling a strong low to mid 80 Metacritic for this game

Several weeks is almost 2 months. Add that to the 4 months until launch and it is almost 6. Also, an 85 would be great. Ghost of Tshushima has an 83 and it's my GoTG.

Bankai

The build used to run the campaign demo was work-in-progress from several weeks ago with a variety of graphical elements and game systems still being finished and polished.

This was actually most shocking to me. I've read everywhere that it was a demo from MONTHS ago, going as far back as late 2019.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Right, Halo combat on Heroic or above is all about staying in cover and finding the right opportunities to to attack. If you're playing on Easy and just mindlessly blasting enemies, all of that is lost.

That's why Heroic is the "intended" difficulty setting in a Halo game.
Yeah I only play easy to get that par time, and even then I rush passed everything

Chittagong

Gold Member
That is as good a response as it could be. Expertly picked tone.

However to be real, Microsoft loves sandbagging their releases so I bet their gold master is set for September and they are now at Release Candidate so I would not expect any substantial changes for launch, a massive day 1 patch aside maybe.

Relativ9

Pretty good reply all in all, I'll wait and see if they can address the issues by launch as that's quite a short deadline now, but hoping for mod support on PC so the community can fix it :)

Sounds like someone who has never understood Halo and didn’t see the nuance going on.

Like when he shot the gas barrel in the hanger and nuked half of what was about to come after him.

Or is that no explosion enough for you?

I'm a huge Halo fan, the gameplay looked like dogshit. Nothing had any weight to it, enemies didn't react properly, the sound design is godawful. Weapons are like peashooters. That hangar explosion was totally lame, explosions in Halo 1-3 were better.

Last edited:

Here you go, asshole...

nsX7G8f.png

hnf0mWQ.png

xMKel4p.png

Ah, I get it now.

Classic art style for classic graphics. Wanting to resemble the OG.

🛰️❓

I don't know man, the classic is still visually more appealing than this.

I do enjoy the music on Infinite so far though.

So you haven’t played in 10 years, but you are A big fan?

Is this really your argument? I didn't use MCC because I haven't done much in it yet, but it's legit all I have installed on Gamepass lol...

fp7lX7F.png

I don't get the argument anyways, I need to continually replay games to be a fan? I played Halo CE for 5 YEARS STRAIGHT more than any other game that existed. I'm not suddenly not a fan because the direction the franchise has gone in since Bungie left is total ass.

MEuouc7.png

MEuouc7.png

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
That's a good community update. I'm liking a lot of what I'm hearing about this game & personally I thought it looked like a lot of fun. I'm no 343 fan either.

So many people seem to have merrily skipped right past all of the gameplay stuff from that demo, in favour of creating a meme from a frozen split-second when a Brute's face looked stupid. The internet will be the internet I guess.

Here you go, asshole...

So you've played some Halo. Ok. The rest of what you said about the gameplay was still complete & utter nonsense.

Kagey K

Banned
Is this really your argument? I didn't use MCC because I haven't done much in it yet, but it's legit all I have installed on Gamepass lol...

fp7lX7F.png

I don't get the argument anyways, I need to continually replay games to be a fan? I played Halo CE for 5 YEARS STRAIGHT more than any other game that existed. I'm not suddenly not a fan because the direction the franchise has gone in since Bungie left is total ass.

MEuouc7.png

MEuouc7.png
No it’s a combination of that and all your other posts here that led me to that conclusion.

I think no more or no less of you either way.

Compsiox

Banned
Oh wow, seriously fuck right off a cliff, dude. You guys do not have some authority on what is or is not good Halo gameplay. No one cares that you're xbox fanboys who will eat up any shit shoveled in your fucking stupid throats.
If you like Halo that gameplay probably looks fun.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Don't underestimate what can be accomplished in just a few weeks. Maybe Bob from the graphics department literally left his work at home and got locked out of his house. You're telling me you've never been locked out of your house? Absurd.
Damn it, Bob. You took the briefcase with all the graphics in it, didn't you? You've got to stop doing that, man.

If you like Halo that gameplay probably looked fun.

It didn't. No magnum, no classic shotgun, dumb shields, enemies don't give a shit when you stick grenades to them, they don't try to avoid explosions/grenades, explosions/grenades are weaker than any prior entry, gameplay in any Halo would look weak on Normal difficulty but it's even worse with the bad sound design that makes every gun sound so lame. Bodies don't leave blood on the ground around them, animations are incredibly lacking. Hit markers are stupid in a Halo game. It does so much worse than even the oldest entries it's a fucking joke.

FireFly

I'm a huge Halo fan, the gameplay looked like dogshit. Nothing had any weight to it, enemies didn't react properly, the sound design is godawful. Weapons are like peashooters. That hangar explosion was totally lame, explosions in Halo 1-3 were better.
These are more presentation issues though. They can add in hit reactions, improve particle effects and give the guns more punch, without changing any of the core combat loop.

In fact at this stage in development you would expect the presentational elements to need more polish. (Though maybe not to the extent we see here, which points to post-launch polish being needed)

These are more presentation issues though. They can add in hit reactions, improve particle effects and give the guns more punch, without changing any of the core combat loop.

In fact at this stage in development you would expect the presentational elements to need more polish. (Though maybe not to the extent we see here, which points to post-launch polish being needed)

That's all fair but in general the presentation, to me, showed a lack of awareness of what people want out of Halo, we don't want to mow down all the enemies like some God, the most fun Halo ever was was at Legendary difficulty actually having to outwit the AI.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, seriously fuck right off a cliff, dude. You guys do not have some authority on what is or is not good Halo gameplay. No one cares that you're xbox fanboys who will eat up any shit shoveled in your fucking stupid throats.

This is an embarrassingly childish outburst. I'll just report you & move right along.

FireFly

That's all fair but in general the presentation, to me, showed a lack of awareness of what people want out of Halo, we don't want to mow down all the enemies like some God, the most fun Halo ever was was at Legendary difficulty actually having to outwit the AI.
I agree but to me that's why we can't reach conclusions about the gameplay yet. Since they're showcasing it as just a run and gun shooter.

If it plays like that on Legendary, then yes, that's not Halo gameplay.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Dunno how the artstyle vs graphics will turn out, IMO artstyle is more important when it comes to the overall reception. Just look at Halo 5 on 1X:

XOX_005.jpg

XOX_003.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

Everything is toned down, not oversaturated like it's yet another Fortnite, the PBR is there, so nothing looks like plastic, and so on, it just looks great, this is what you expect a modern game to look like, while sticking to Halo 1-3 artstyle from 10-20 years ago makes the game look exactly like that, an upscaled Halo 1-3.

That borderline looks like artwork. The difference is unreal.

Yes, there are major scope changes, but it’s tough to not look at this, this five year old game (?) and ask, ‘What the fuck happened?’

-Arcadia-

Banned
Btw, on gameplay, for what it’s worth, this is the first time in 343’s reign, where I’ve felt one of their campaigns actually looked like Halo and was excited for it.

Could there be possible needed tweaks? I didn’t notice any outside of the grappling needing more oomph, but stuff like the plasma grenade reactions and more satisfying explosions seem like good suggestions. I think overall though, it’s headed in a really satisfactory way.

shaddam

So why does a 500 million dollar game looks like this after years in development. On a powerful console (oh the demo was on a pc), months before release

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Btw, on gameplay, for what it’s worth, this is the first time in 343’s reign, where I’ve felt one of their campaigns actually looked like Halo and was excited for it.

Could there be possible needed tweaks? I didn’t notice any outside of the grappling needing more oomph, but stuff like the plasma grenade reactions and more satisfying explosions seem like good suggestions. I think overall though, it’s headed in a really satisfactory way.

Yep. It looked like an attempt to return to the sandbox, but with some new tweaks to the formula. I'm all for that.

Not saying that 343 will definitely pull it off. I have very little confidence in them, if I'm honest. But it looks like an honest attempt & I'll give it a fair chance.

Can always count on you to be reasonable. For me, I was in the hype thread going crazy over the 4Chan rumors that it was basically a Halo METROID game, the excitement and hype levels were through the roof for me and then this gameplay demo... that just looks so bland, Master Chief just walking through all the enemies like they're nothing, world looks fully open, no hint of Metroid-style gameplay, guns sound weak, they don't show off the fan favorite guns (because they're not in the game). Explosions are weaker than a 360 game, enemies don't react to being shot or having explosives thrown at them. Is it closer than Halo 4 and 5? I guess, but at the expense of being the graphical showcase it's always been, one of the few things 343 understood about the franchise.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
IMO artstyle is more important when it comes to the overall reception.
Thats always the case, you can have the most impressive tech running under the hood of the game but if you don't nail the art direction then the game not gonna look good no matter how expensive the tech is.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Seriously why are they wasting the time writing this shit?

Just shut the fuck up and WORK.

Someone already addressed it, just focus on fixing it.

Pretty sure they have a staff promotional writer, just for this purpose, lol. This isn’t going to be the difference between Craig getting fixed or not.

Who in the fuck bitched about Halo 4 and 5's art direction? I'd like to elbow drop them.

Kind of what I’ve been wondering. With all the problems with 343 Halo, people were actually bothered with the gorgeous visuals? I mean, I can see where they’re coming from, as they’re quite different, but it just seems like such a secondary priority... compared to everything else.

Pretty sure they have a staff promotional writer, just for this purpose, lol. This isn’t going to be the difference between Craig getting fixed or not.

Kind of what I’ve been wondering. With all the problems with 343 Halo, people were actually bothered with the gorgeous visuals? I mean, I can see where they’re coming from, as they’re quite different, but it just seems like such a secondary priority... compared to everything else.

Yeah the real problem was level design, the guns, the Prometheans being lame enemies, stuff like that.

Yeah, just really want to say how a gun looks, sounds... enemy animations, enemy death animations, how enemy AI reacts to the things you do all are big components in a game feeling good to play, in fact they're the easiest to judge elements when all you have is a trailer to look at. Bungie went on to do Destiny/Destiny 2, games that understand better than maybe any shooter on the market how to make all those aspects satisfying.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
Very much appreciate them trying to address it. They don't have much time until launch though. I would prefer no crunch for the developer + bad graphics + graphics patch post launch over them crunching to get the game graphically better at launch.

Still.. I fail to understand why 343 needed this community feedback for the graphics. I mean, the issues with the graphics are glaringly obvious. I really don't believe that 343 themselves didn't think the graphics needed improvement.

Sony

Nintendo
Seriously why are they wasting the time writing this shit?

Just shut the fuck up and WORK.

Someone already addressed it, just focus on fixing it.

This is such a disgusting post. These are people you are talking about. You think it's oké to tell anyone "shut the fuck up and work"? You're an example of why this industry is so toxic. Reported.

GHG

Gold Member

That's somebody they need to hire and spend time interfacing with to get stuff like this out.

They've already said we've seen the criticism, we hear it and we are working on it. That's enough in my book.

This is such a disgusting post. These are people you are talking about. You think it's oké to tell anyone "shut the fuck up and work"? You're an example of why this industry is so toxic. Reported.

Awww. I hope crying to mummy and daddy makes you feel better.

FYI the concept of crunch is normal in a lot of industries, it's what happens when you've got to get shit done and get the best product possible out the door in the run up to launch. People passionate about what they make want to crunch in some cases. They get paid accordingly and at some point it becomes the case of "it's the job". They don't need you to white knight for them.

Last edited:

GymWolf

First, we want to acknowledge that yes, we’ve heard the feedback coming from parts of the community regarding the visuals in the Halo Infinite campaign demo. While we see and hear far more positive than negative, we do want to share a bit more context. From our perspective, there are two key areas being debated around the community – overall art style and visual fidelity.

9zbKaqt.png

Kagey K

Banned
Don't get too proud of low tier bait/incitement posts. Still waiting on your actual argument you claimed you couldn't do in the ban thread.
There was no argument, I said I wasn’t going to address it there, as it wasn’t appropriate.

I think I covered all the ground I needed to with you.

Flintty

Wouldn’t it be lovely to be able to read a Halo thread without people reminding us why they think it’s shit.

The problems with the game are well documented at this point. 343 say they’re listening but that’s not good enough, people still gotta come with the vitriol.

Top Bottom