• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo Infinite PC 32:9 super ultrawide screenshots

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
that was 20 years ago. I remember halo 3 getting ragged on for its character models and 600p graphics. Had the best hdr I’d ever seen on console and the gameplay was sublime.

I couldn’t give a fuck about graphics if the gameplay is on point.
this is still clearly coming out on current Gen with a few bells and whistles on top for pc and next gen.
I think graphics and gameplay have always been a good selling point of Halo as a series. Halo 3’s lighting was quite unique and a big selling point of its visual makeup, a stunner.

ZywyPL

Banned
This is something I've been saying in regards to this game. Halo 5 looked really good on X1X, I don't know why people don't like it, I am not Halo fan and enjoyed it a lot in co-op with my buddy.

The story is shit, to say the least, the whole plot marketing prior launch was basically a scam, and for whatever the reason the die-hard fans didn't like addition of sprinting, they called it game-breaking lol... But the gameplay was good, the MP was good, and the graphics were really nice, the game went with the realistic approach and it served it well, and now they're back to the H1-3 aesthetic which simply look outdated as fuck in 2021. I mean, just look at this 6yo game:

XOX_005.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

XOX_003.jpg

And compare it to the upcoming one... Either they released some old build screens to wow people with newest footage on E3, or the game will really end up looking like an upscaled H3...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's funny, Nintendo can release a game with graphics from 7 years ago and "its all about the gameplay" but ms get held to some sort of imaginary higher standard. I mean halo has always been a decent looking game on each system, but it was never the cutting edge graphics showcase, it was the story, gameplay, and decent graphics that combined into a great game.

Regardless of that, if I were a betting person, I'd say the graphics will end up 7.5-8/10 in the end, the detractors will say 5/10, and the halo nuts will say 9/10. Hopefully the gameplay and story are good to go with it.....

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The story is shit, to say the least, the whole plot marketing prior launch was basically a scam, and for whatever the reason the die-hard fans didn't like addition of sprinting, they called it game-breaking lol... But the gameplay was good, the MP was good, and the graphics were really nice, the game went with the realistic approach and it served it well, and now they're back to the H1-3 aesthetic which simply look outdated as fuck in 2021. I mean, just look at this 6yo game:

XOX_005.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

XOX_003.jpg

And compare it to the upcoming one... Either they released some old build screens to wow people with newest footage on E3, or the game will really end up looking like an upscaled H3...
Yeah it does look way better than any of those screenshots.

onesvenus

XOX_005.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

XOX_003.jpg

Yup, I think it's more an art issue than anything else. I also prefer the more realistic art approach.

It's obvious that we'll need to wait for another first party game to wow us with graphics

Perrott

Gold Member

XOX_005.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

XOX_003.jpg

Halo 5 has the strongest art direction in the franchise, alongside environments that actually feel "real" due to the amount of details and things going on in the background. What a beautiful game, no wonder that Infinite feels like a downgrade compared to it.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This could be true. We'll see. I already don't like the materials in those screenshots. They look like Gears/DOOM metal which is completely wrong. I hope they go back and revisit their material shaders.

That's the issue what i always have with idtech. flat weird textures, stretched, not really detailed in most ways when you are close. It only looks ok from a distance but close...not really.

DonJorginho

Banned
I cannot wait! This sure ain't a typical "looker" but I feel the art design does just enough to look appealing on the eye.

I just hope there is a true amount of variety when it comes to missions, I would hate this to become a typical Ubi game with copy and paste activities.

VN1X

Banned
I feel bad for all you graphicswores but I'm glad I'm not one of you hah. Like, Halo has never been a particular amazing looking franchise, at least in terms of direct comparisons to other games released around the same time. That's not to say these weren't nice looking games though, on the contrary even. But I think that's mostly down to the art style combined with the tech that made it stand out from the pack. A very strong vision if you will. The only exception really being Halo 4 which looked impressive from day 1 on a technical level, especially considering the console it was running on.

One constant that has always permiated throughout the franchise is the simple fact that gameplay is king and whether you're a singleplayer type of person or like to click heads in multiplayer Halo's got you covered with it's deep and rewarding gameplay systems/mechanics.

Anyway even though I'm not that big of a Halo fan I've still played almost all of them mainly due to peer pressure by friends lol so over time I've kind of gotten to enjoy these games and I'm even still looking forward to Infinte. If only to see what a more open-world type setting could do for the franchise.

Last edited:
I'm a Halo fan and I want this to be dope, but it just doesn't look all that promising still

Like someone else posted in the thread Halo 4 and 5 still look better. I'm hoping once we see it running in motion after whatever upgrades they're supposedly doing - it'll look better. But it still looks pretty flat image wise

BigLee74

Fucking hell, 3 static screenshots and it brings out all the usual drive by shit posters.

Let’s at least wait until we see something more substantial before you let rip again huh?

Looks like Halo. Looks better than any Halo released so far. More importantly, if it plays as well as the others that will be me sorted for a year!

Fucking hell, 3 static screenshots and it brings out all the usual drive by shit posters.

Let’s at least wait until we see something more substantial before you let rip again huh?

Looks like Halo. Looks better than any Halo released so far. More importantly, if it plays as well as the others that will be me sorted for a year!
Crow will be served I guarantee it. As we know this game is heavy in development, and it's going to be one of the best games this year so its going to have its haters from the usual suspects. Gameplay is king and Halo has always had amazing gameplay unlike other games on a rival platform.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
While the indoor environments look slightly better, the outdoor environment is still in shambles:
  • Same 2-3 models of those lifeless trees,
  • Same Craig model
  • Low polygon, low texture on rocks and mountains
  • No meaningful tessellation on the ground
  • Very poor quality shadows
  • Low-quality clouds
I am expecting only marginal improvements. But that'd be a shame after a ~15 months delay.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Well the DA is so bland. Gameplay is crucial and maybe it will be a great game to play, but the graphics as they chose to show us is so generic. Is that supposed to be on Earth ? or a fully terraformed planet ? Because all i see is generic trees, plants and rock assets which i don't expect from an alien world, and even with some lightning and high res it's still very mundane.

I'm nobody

I no 2 different games but r and c game looks better than most games shower right now eyes are melted

Halo in will be good tho I really enjoyed em in past online

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Microsoft really fucked it up with this games reveal and the direction it took with it, this should've been a technical show piece for their next gen systems and instead looks last gen in every single department, I really wanted the reveal to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck like the Halo3 reveal did way back when and showcase some massive epic sci-fi shit

This game should've been like this in real time but better

Banjo64

cumsessed
The game will be very good, and looks fine, but IMO they should have said ‘fuck off’ to the Bungie eulogisers and kept on their path that they started with their Halo 4 and Halo 5 visuals.

Halo 4, an Xbox 360 game, still looks stunning today on the MCC collection. As in, it looks just as good as any PS4 or Xbox One FPS.

Can't wait, I'm dying for a new big multiplayer game, hope it'll bring some fresh energy to the streaming community as well, so sick of everyone playing warzone.

Game looks pretty damn great to me, not sure why everyone is so salty. They clearly heard the feedback and seem to be giving it a lot of love and care. I'm excited to get my hands on this, hope it turns out well.

I think graphics and gameplay have always been a good selling point of Halo as a series. Halo 3’s lighting was quite unique and a big selling point of its visual makeup, a stunner.

Halo 3 was odd res, pixellated garbage when it released. I barfed. Its like they had no concept that their art was going to be viewed at 635p or whatever. Who thought chain link fences would hold up?

Halo 1 on Xbox looked better.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think they should do a Craig big head mode I'd you beat the game killing all Craig's with head shots only. Or a full on Craig mode, only Craigs, but use the old model and have them die easy but have hundreds of then come at you.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The game will be very good, and looks fine, but IMO they should have said ‘fuck off’ to the Bungie eulogisers and kept on their path that they started with their Halo 4 and Halo 5 visuals.

Halo 4, an Xbox 360 game, still looks stunning today on the MCC collection. As in, it looks just as good as any PS4 or Xbox One FPS.
I have 17 words for you: Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019).

While the indoor environments look slightly better, the outdoor environment is still in shambles:
  • Same 2-3 models of those lifeless trees,
  • Same Craig model
  • Low polygon, low texture on rocks and mountains
  • No meaningful tessellation on the ground
  • Very poor quality shadows
  • Low-quality clouds
I am expecting only marginal improvements. But that'd be a shame after a ~15 months delay.
You are wrong as usual, anyway E3 is coming and your comments won't age well (as usual) 😀

Codes 208

XOX_005.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

XOX_003.jpg

There’s two things to consider when it comes to halo 5’s graphics: for starters, like ryse, the campaign was incredibly linear and practically a corridor shoot akin to halo 4. As for multiplayer, the graphics took a bit of a downgrade to keep frames a consistent 60fps with lower LoD’s, less tesselation, lower character textures and a slight downgrade to the lighting.

secondly, the art style for five was an absolute mess. Look at that second picture, I can’t tell what the fuck is an enemy or part of the background because they made the set pieces so damn busy with overly complicated designs that I can’t tell wtf is going on.

On top of that, we all know they to make sacrifices to get halo 5 looking like that. It averaged a resolution of 900p on the original Xbox one and enemy animations were halfved to 30fps depending on the LoD which looked really janky at times

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You are wrong as usual, anyway E3 is coming and your comments won't age well (as usual) 😀
We did see this in the last E3, but ... okay. With progress like this, it still won't be able to beat Spider-Man Miles Morales in graphics -- a game that came a year ago and was developed in less than 18 months.

And what am I wrong about? Feel free to highlight a point.

We did see this in the last E3, but ... okay. With progress like this, it still won't be able to beat Spider-Man Miles Morales in graphics -- a game that came a year ago and was developed in less than 18 months.

And what am I wrong about? Feel free to highlight a point.
Everything you said is wrong, you said everything is the same from the last demo, which is nonsense as you know. These are in progress non touched up screenshots, they are to demonstrate ultra wide screen etc. When we see it in motion at E3 if then it looks no better then have your say.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
'em saying: "but hey, we got 120 fps!"
There is nothing wrong with that. 120fps in a game like Halo would be awesome!

Also Halo not having the best graphics is also going to be fine. I'll be happy with great story and great characters.

Almost sounds like I'm making excuses already haha.

Microsoft really fucked it up with this games reveal and the direction it took with it, this should've been a technical show piece for their next gen systems and instead looks last gen in every single department, I really wanted the reveal to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck like the Halo3 reveal did way back when and showcase some massive epic sci-fi shit

This game should've been like this in real time but better

The Trailer that was cut back for the final game and in-game displayed such low polygon models for a lot of the enemies and was destroyed in the graphics dept by Killzone 2 and a game that couldn't run at 60 fps much less 720P?.
Halo 3 lighting was amazing mind.

I rather wait until the game is shipped to see it will come close to the original Halo

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Everything you said is wrong, you said everything is the same from the last demo, which is nonsense as you know. These are in progress non touched up screenshots, they are to demonstrate ultra wide screen etc. When we see it in motion at E3 if then it looks no better then have your say.
So I'm wrong about everything? lol.
  • Are these high-quality shadows? (why are the branches not appearing in the shadows then?
  • Aren't the same 2-3 tree models being replicated everywhere? Share the 10 different models you see.
  • Where is the high-quality tessellation in the ground?
  • Are these really high-quality clouds then? (no, high-quality cross-gen clouds look like this)

Dude, you guys keep accepting these tier-C things and argue with everyone who points out the -ve points, perhaps that's why you keep getting the same low-quality stuff from the companies you support. Demand better instead of accepting, and probably you guys will start getting better, higher-quality games.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I think the Graphics are fine, not mind-blowing like we saw last night with R+c but good enough. This is a cross-game after all if I remember right? no amount of tinkering is going to get it to the next level.

They need to focus totally on the user experience, that's how they turn this game around, i really hope they go all guns blazing on the gameplay, that's where this game lives or dies. Things like loading, menus etc need to be absolutely spot-on for a franchise like this, they have had the extra time now, they need to deliver for their fans.

Just look at the amount of extras insomniac added last night, that's what i would like to see.

Raekwon26

It's funny, Nintendo can release a game with graphics from 7 years ago and "its all about the gameplay" but ms get held to some sort of imaginary higher standard. I mean halo has always been a decent looking game on each system, but it was never the cutting edge graphics showcase, it was the story, gameplay, and decent graphics that combined into a great game.

Regardless of that, if I were a betting person, I'd say the graphics will end up 7.5-8/10 in the end, the detractors will say 5/10, and the halo nuts will say 9/10. Hopefully the gameplay and story are good to go with it.....

What is this post?

Seriously, what is this?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I feel bad for all you graphicswores but I'm glad I'm not one of you hah. Like, Halo has never been a particular amazing looking franchise, at least in terms of direct comparisons to other games released around the same time. That's not to say these weren't nice looking games though, on the contrary even. But I think that's mostly down to the art style combined with the tech that made it stand out from the pack. A very strong vision if you will. The only exception really being Halo 4 which looked impressive from day 1 on a technical level, especially considering the console it was running on.

One constant that has always permiated throughout the franchise is the simple fact that gameplay is king and whether you're a singleplayer type of person or like to click heads in multiplayer Halo's got you covered with it's deep and rewarding gameplay systems/mechanics.

Anyway even though I'm not that big of a Halo fan I've still played almost all of them mainly due to peer pressure by friends lol so over time I've kind of gotten to enjoy these games and I'm even still looking forward to Infinte. If only to see what a more open-world type setting could do for the franchise.
Uuuh, microsoft has been positioning this game as their “big next gen” game for the past two years. Graphics are important in this regard, as microsoft has scarcely anything else coming soon thats new and going to be a visual showcase. Its especially jarring when your competition has better looking first party games so far on weaker hardware.

Top Bottom