• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New handheld game console announced: the Playdate

Odinnii

I want one, if only for the novelty factor. But not being backlit is dumb. If it was a cost issue they should have just charged more. I see it as a bigger deterent than a slightly higher price.

TacosNSalsa

Teenage Engineering... their hardware aesthetics are pure artwork

20130527154800.jpg
You're obviously right ..I don't even know what that thing is and still think it looks nice

ROMhack

You do have to wonder how such a scrappy little up-and-comer got a full cover feature in Edge.

Oh wait, what am I saying?

giphy.gif

I mean yeah, they aren't getting billions of dollars but defo something going on there.

They act like there's nothing to worry about which isn't true given the historic state of micro-consoles (e.g. Ouya).

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
So what will you play on this thing? Super Meat Boy in Black and white and 30 fps? How can they not have one screenshot to know what the games will be or look like?

Kagero

Dunno if a hardware video has been posted yet:

Ok this got my interest. Less of a game I would say. More like mini interactive distractions, which is essentially a game lol. But this looks great. I would love to see kojima do a game for this. Minds would be blown.

LordOfChaos

Ok this got my interest. Less of a game I would say. More like mini interactive distractions, which is essentially a game lol. But this looks great. I would love to see kojima do a game for this. Minds would be blown.

Exactly how I think of it. Put it on an office desk as a fun conversation piece, new game every week.

50-75 dollars would have been impulse buy for me, even up to 100, but 150USD is a bit more thought.

Kagero

Exactly how I think of it. Put it on an office desk as a fun conversation piece, new game every week.

50-75 dollars would have been impulse buy for me, even up to 100, but 150USD is a bit more thought.
It’s very pricy for sure, but amazed at the aesthetics of not only the hardware itself, but how slick the presentation of the software is played. I’m a sucker for weird tech so this speaks to me. Good find!

cireza

Banned
The overall hardware proposal gets a "why not" from me (except for no backlight, is this confirmed ? it will really depend on how clear the screen is in the end).

Then what comes next are the games. This thing needs some good meaty games, and not only stuff that is funny but with no depth.

Does this thing have sound ?

Last edited:

Vitacat

Does this thing have sound ?
Yes. Watch the video, you can hear the sound.

Having owned an LDK for the past week (PS1 emulation on this thing is surprisingly good), I have no interest in the Playdate. It's a gimmick device that people will buy, play a few times because it's weird and unique, then leave in a closet to play more compelling games.

stickkidsam

Why black and white?

Why side by side buttons?

Why Playdate?? I feel like it's just an odd name for a solo play hand held.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm glad weird hardware is still alive.

Would be cool if the crank did charge it though. A gaming system that never runs out even if the zombie apocalypse wipes out the grid.
My thought exactly. Put a massive capacitor in there, let it charge over a crank.

Orta

Banned
It looks so enticing. But at the same time, a bit shit.

Might pick one up on ebay for ten notes when its inevitably as dead as a doornail this time next year.

baphomet

It's really kinda mind-blowing how out of touch this place is.

This isn't competing with traditional games or consoles.

It will sell extremely well.

The crank's purpose is to spin it up real fast, so you can fling it into the trash quick like. $150 for that thing is extremely overpriced and laughable.

baphomet

No it won't.

It's a niche product aimed at middle-aged hipsters for a premuim price. Nobody else gives a hoot.
Yes, it will.

Its Teenage Engineering. They already have a massive amount of people who will buy it because of that alone.

But only fucking idiots think this is trying to compete with actual game consoles, or that this is aimed at typical gamers.

DESTROYA

I don’t see it selling well after the initial launch either, after the curiosity dies down nobody will care.

Romulus

I'm not a fan of the switch, but I think extra price of admission is worth compared to this. What, $60 more and you have a Switch Lite?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes, it will.

Its Teenage Engineering. They already have a massive amount of people who will buy it because of that alone.

But only fucking idiots think this is trying to compete with actual game consoles, or that this is aimed at typical gamers.

Why would someone who is into TE synthesizers spend $150 on a stupid video game device like this? I don't see the connection. I say this as someone who owns a bunch of TE stuff.

Everyone who isn't a "typical gamer" is well-served by their cell phones. What problem is this solving and for whom? It's an overpriced novelty gimmick.

Vitacat

Yes, it will.

First of all, stop the phony foul-mouthed badass act and calling people you don't know names. It's not impressive.

Secondly, for all of your blustering insistence, UNLESS this thing gets some compelling games to back up its quirkiness, at $149 it will end up being another piece of unused plastic in some people's closets.

Last edited:
I like how sharp the black and white display looks and it'll probably lend itself well to some of the more unique games on the system, but yeah, for the price the whole thing seems more like an overly expensive gimmick.

scalman

OK I need a link to this thing. lol

or many and many similar size things that could be for some $18-25 out there on amazon , ebay or gearbest in china
like this maybe

Last edited:

scalman

just use smartphone controller for couple bucks and emulate what you want on phone. imagine that image quality on these days smarpthones you will get.
smartphone-game-controller.jpg

that style or more comfy existing console controllers like PS4 or X1 , they works best but takes some space to carry.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Okay maybe a used 3ds. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Or 2ds.
yes but an "old" NEW 3ds :) the extra power makes snes neogeo etc run perfect
also the 3ds has a 240p screen so snes genesis games look pixel perfect with natural scanlines.
it is the best retro gaming handheld imo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Piece of junk.

Looks like a cheap plastic toy you can get at a dollar store's electronic aisle for $5. Right beside full headsets that somehow only cost $5 too.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
yes but an "old" NEW 3ds :) the extra power makes snes neogeo etc run perfect
also the 3ds has a 240p screen so snes genesis games look pixel perfect with natural scanlines.
it is the best retro gaming handheld imo.
Yes 3ds is currently the best (it may never be topped with 3ds and ds content) aside from getting PSP/Vita games. Even then the hardware is literally perfect for everything retro because of its cute screen.

Got bored with gaming? Get one of these and you will be satiated for a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom