• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New handheld game console announced: the Playdate

scalman

all those stuff doing and all those official classic mini consoles do is emulating stuff , so just emulate that on your phone , connect some good controller to it and you golden , no need to buy anything more. you allready have device in your pocket with best specs and best screen out there.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Yes 3ds is currently the best (it may never be topped with 3ds and ds content) aside from getting PSP/Vita games. Even then the hardware is literally perfect for everything retro because of its cute screen.

Got bored with gaming? Get one of these and you will be satiated for a long time.
Problem is that it’s hard to source one with IPS screens (at least the top one) and the TN screens are so washed out.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Problem is that it’s hard to source one with IPS screens (at least the top one) and the TN screens are so washed out.
Got one with my JAP new 3ds :messenger_winking:
There's also the option to just replace the screen (more expensive).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
all those stuff doing and all those official classic mini consoles do is emulating stuff , so just emulate that on your phone , connect some good controller to it and you golden , no need to buy anything more. you allready have device in your pocket with best specs and best screen out there.
nope 3ds is best console for handheld retro gaming.
cause of the resolution.

my phone (note9) is not looking better at all

nocsi

lol fucken Panic. Instead of actually maintaining their software that built up their company, they went and fucked off making video games. They finally went in to update Transmit and turned an FTP client into a goddamn subscription app.

Yes, it will.

Its Teenage Engineering. They already have a massive amount of people who will buy it because of that alone.

But only fucking idiots think this is trying to compete with actual game consoles, or that this is aimed at typical gamers.

LpzyXsL.png

Trimesh

Banned
400x240 monochrome? That would have been a pretty impressive display in 1988! Not so much in the 21st century, though.

Pallas

Gold Member
Remember when this was first posted on Gaf. It still looks neat but that price is still high as ever, so that’s a no from me.

$50-$60 at the absolute highest I’d be interested in this device, because it is like of unique and has that nostalgic factor.

Reactions: TLZ

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For about the same price of $150 US, you can get 2DS bundles, or leftover 3DS and Vitas.

Play Date looks like something worth $5. Only thing going for it is the bright yellow shell that stands out. Have fun paying $145 for it.

baphomet

First of all, stop the phony foul-mouthed badass act and calling people you don't know names. It's not impressive.

Secondly, for all of your blustering insistence, UNLESS this thing gets some compelling games to back up its quirkiness, at $149 it will end up being another piece of unused plastic in some people's closets.

Good thing I'm not trying to impress anyone in here who somehow think a toy with a non-backlit monochrome screen and 12 "built in" games is attempting to compete with actual game consoles.

It's not. It was never supposed to.

Suggesting a 2ds or playing emulators on a phone(fucking lol) is completely missing the point.

It's $150 for a toy you'll get 3 months of play out of. If that's too expensive for a novelty toy for you, then this isn't aimed at you.

MagnesG

Banned
Good thing I'm not trying to impress anyone in here who somehow think a toy with a non-backlit monochrome screen and 12 "built in" games is attempting to compete with actual game consoles.

It's not. It was never supposed to.

Suggesting a 2ds or playing emulators on a phone(fucking lol) is completely missing the point.

It's $150 for a toy you'll get 3 months of play out of. If that's too expensive for a novelty toy for you, then this isn't aimed at you.
Hey, those are just some suggestions, and most people would want to heed that rather than bought this playdate thing.

Grinchy

Banned
It looks pretty interesting and cool, yet I still don't know who it's for. I can't quite imagine young kids wanting it. Probably not teenagers either. Is this supposed to be for adults who liked the Gameboy 30 years ago?

Gargus

Banned

Well that is true but for me I love mini consoles like the nes, snes, playstation, etc.

For me it isnt about just playing emulators. I know a lot of people are like "dude you can get just get a rasperry pi and play like a bajillion games", etc. I realize I can run an emulator on a lot of devices and play a ton of games. But I dont want to play a bajillion games, or even a thousand games. I know the easy knee jerk reaction is to just blurt out "but you can do this", well, I dont want to do that.

I have a job, mortage, house to keep clean and maintain, errands to run and so on. I dont have time to play games all day everyday. Plus in my free time when Im not doing chores I like to watch movies and do other things. Not to mention when I do play games I love my ps4 and my pc, so I play a lot of modern games as well and not just classic games. So my game time isnt 100% of my time.

I am nostalgic for my old games I played as a kid and mini consoles are perfect for me. I get to see how the original system looked sitting there, hold a controller I originally held for that system and I get a handful of games for those systems to play on a system I dont need to setup or configure or anything as I just simply turn it on. I can play some games and be satisfied. I dont need, nor want, nor have the time to play every single classic game available.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, that is backlit. As far as I understand Playdate isn't. I don't want a backlit LCD, I want a high quality, dot matrix display that is very easy to see with a bedside lamp. Kinda like a Kindle.

Kindles are not LCD screens and the new ones are backlit.

Zannegan

Kindles are not LCD screens and the new ones are backlit.
Technically, they're frontlit... or sidelit or something. The best thing about them for reading at night is that the light is more diffuse instead of shining like a lamp into your eyeballs.

McCheese

A hipster refused to spare a shilling to an old women, who cast a hex on them to make them into a handheld system. The spell will only be lifted when someone with enough disposable income turns the crank 100 times.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Looks really uncomfortable to play with. Games looks like gimmicky shit ass. For $50 more you could get a Switch Lite.

Real hipsters play PSP anyhow.

Top Bottom