• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harry Potter game is in development, delevopers hurt by JK Rowlings comments

Airbus Jr

Banned
We are tired and sick with the western waves of feminist and cancel culture

JK Rowling creates Harry Potter

Get out of the game project if you dont like JK Rowling or her legacy

If these guys really want to show support for these trans then cut them dicks and shut up about it

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
If they're brave enough they'll throw some trans representation into the game to counter that bigot Rowling.

Will they allow me to customise Harry so that he has a big old set of juicy titties?

Maybe Hermione can get the Ray Finkle treatment and have a nice package tucked between her legs that I can view from behind?

wbmtpuP.jpg

Delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:

supernova8

Banned
So where can I read her statement? From what I got second hand she sees a risk in exposing kids to transgender discussions and normalizing the topic?

I mean I'm a very liberal/progressive guy but that has always been a thought in my mind as well...

In a nutshell she basically said (what the overwhelming majority of people think but are too scared to just say it) that women are women and then separately, trans women are trans women. She (like, again the vast majority of people) does not subscribe to the idea that it's somehow bigoted to draw a line between women and trans women.

Andodalf

Banned
So where can I read her statement? From what I got second hand she sees a risk in exposing kids to transgender discussions and normalizing the topic?

I mean I'm a very liberal/progressive guy but that has always been a thought in my mind as well...

The gist of it is that she’s feels that recognizing ones actual sex is important. How can one be a feminist and talk about their struggles as a woman if the word woman is meaningless?

whyman

Still happy to be blocked by Jason. I will be happy when the game is announced. JK stands up for women while respecting trans people and won’t take SJW crap. She should be looked up to. Game seems great from what have leaked so far!

nush

Gold Member
The same way TLOU2 fans reacted to all the Twitter outrage. By not giving two shits.

There's a difference here. TLOU2 pandered to that audience so they on the whole defended it.

A Harry Potter game probably isn't pandering and fair game for the woke gaming press to not defend it.

Eliciel

The same way TLOU2 fans reacted to all the Twitter outrage. By not giving two shits.

I actually gave two shits.
I had to take a break after that self-made pan pizza and the ben & jerry chocolate fudge. The cheese was just too much....or was it the milk in the chocolate ice cream?....

INC

There's a difference here. TLOU2 pandered to that audience so they on the whole defended it.

A Harry Potter game probably isn't pandering and fair game for the woke gaming press to not defend it.

You could argue that Harry Potter takes influences off nazi values and white supremacists

Non pure wizards being mud bloods

............inb4 resetera

Silvawuff

Her comments weren't just about transwomen, they were pretty inflammatory toward women as well, and overall poorly presented during a bad time in general.

She's also allowed to have an opinion and offend people with it. I think it's possible that content creators and the things they create can be separate entities. For some solid counter point here, Daniel Radcliffe responded to her tweets and I think made some salient points regarding Rowling, her opinions, and how they apply to Harry Potter overall. There's a lot to criticize beyond this. I saw a healthy discourse about her racial stereotypes surrounding the character Chou Chang as well, so I'd be interested to see if this studio has any Asians that are offended by this.

I think when people have a large platform, whatever they say is going to offend someone. She could tweet "I like mac and cheese" and vegans/people with dairy allergies will snap back at her.

Rikoi

I can't believe the biggest part of the world population are letting themself being cucked like this.
Her opinions are her opinions, if you don't agree with them just ignore them.
Why do software houses care about this shit? Why do they think that it will hurt their sales?
Just release your game and let them argue as much as they want, as long as you keep ignoring them they will stop someday.

Someone should call Ja Rule and ask him what he thinks about her statement.

Seriously though, J.K. Rowling made her bed and now she gets to lie in it. The far left will continue to cancel itself until there's nobody left to cancel, or nobody dares to have a public opinion anymore, which is why you shouldn't get involved with them in the first place (nor the far right). I knew this was going to happen back when she started retroactively making characters gay and black to appease that crowd, the snake always ends up eating its own tail.

Now she gets to go through the ResetEra experience: Have a valid and reasonable opinion that can be civilly argued about, but instead of discussing the matter and learning from that exchange of ideas, a mob gathers around you, calls you the scum of the earth, and tries to destroy your career for not having the 'correct' thoughts about incredibly complex topics.

None of this should have anything to do with a videogame being in development though, and the fact that this is news is a sign of the times. This whole political atmosphere is exhausting, impossible to keep up with, and dangerous to navigate. It leaves no room for growth, improvement, or a diversity of opinions. Let's hope it dies out like political correctness did in the early 90's.

StormCell

You can read it here. Be prepared to be reading for a while as she is anything but brief. I don't consider myself a true feminist as you'll not see me white knighting, but I quite enjoyed reading her essay on this topic. As one who never read Harry Potter, I'm kind of taken by her writing and have a new appreciation for her. Her points basically boil down this, if you don't have the half hour to read. 1) Women naturally have a whole set of issues that they must labor through that trans-women will never know, and this recent trans-women's rights actually undercuts much of the feminist cause's gains for women's rights, because suddenly now, unlike at any other time in history, anyone can be a woman instantly. 2) I believe a lot of her apprehension towards trans-women's rights is rooted in the pain and emotional trauma she has experienced as a biological woman who has been physically and emotionally abused growing up and in her first marriage. She can totally sympathize with the danger that trans-women face, but it does not replace or override the cause that is women's rights. In particular, she is extra guarded with restrooms and changing areas where someone who decided he feels like a woman today shouldn't just be able to enter unannounced. This can and will cause a lot of negative feelings (fear, embarrassment) for the women who are in there and vulnerable.

To the point, Rowling never suggests that trans-women's rights and the cause doesn't deserve support. Rather, she is blunt in suggesting they're barking up the wrong tree in expecting all the same rights and spaces as biological women.

Arun1910

"At least a few" is still only a few. People everywhere are obviously going to be hurt.

Not sure why it's particularly relevant, it was obvious. But a few people being hurt isn't going to affect anything going on with that project.

whitesugar

Banned
every harry potter fan that isn't on tumblr or resetera is going to be hyped as fuck because a HP RPG has the potential to be great with that source material and a good studio involved

GreenAlien

I wish developers would get mandatory psychological treatment instead of "diversity training".

Last edited:

GreyHorace

WAAAAAHHHH!!!! BAD WOMAN SAID BAD THING ABOUT TRANNY PEOPLE!!!!

What the fuck do we care about some game developers getting pissy over what Rowling said? Are they such massive snowflakes that her opinion about transpeople will make their job a lot harder? Then they should just quit and give their jobs to people who don't let their personal feelings interfere with their work.

Wonder how many of them would take that dare though and lose a livelihood over virtue signaling.

brian0057

Banned
If J.K. Rowling gets cancelled then maybe people will drop Harry Potter and go read another book to which lazily compare to socio-political events or situations.

This also applies to Avatar: The Last Airbender. I love the show but it's TV version of Harry Potter. Watch. Another. Show.

Top Bottom