• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harry Potter game is in development, delevopers hurt by JK Rowlings comments

Rikoi

If J.K. Rowling gets cancelled then maybe people will drop Harry Potter and go read another book to which lazily compare to socio-political events or situations.

This also applies to Avatar: The Last Airbender. I love the show but it's TV version of Harry Potter. Watch. Another. Show.
The people that would drop Harry Potter over this matter are probably 0,001% of the readers and media and game developers act like it's 70%.

Last edited:

Laieon

If J.K. Rowling gets cancelled then maybe people will drop Harry Potter and go read another book to which lazily compare to socio-political events or situations.

This also applies to Avatar: The Last Airbender. I love the show but it's TV version of Harry Potter. Watch. Another. Show.

Eh, I think Harry Potter has it's place. I'm an elementary school teacher and the series is a great way to build confidence with young readers. At it's reading level, there isn't a whole lot to really compare it to.

I think the series itself is a ton of fun, but I'll never understand people who tie it (or any form of media really) to their identity.

Shantae

Banned
giphy.gif

Saber

Gold Member
Taking all that shitchat aside...I wonder what this Harry Potter game will be.

I like the idea of a create a character, choosing a house, exploring and taking classes at Hogwarts. But on the other side...we have a crap cashshot farming mobile game that do that as well.

So yeah, the idea is neat. But all goes to the shithole when you make a cheap game out of it.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY is it always politics? And why do the devs care about the authors point of view on a particular subject? The game is divorced from the books. Its their property. How does the author's opinion affect them or their game in anyway? Because artistic integrity is lost on these snowflakes that's how.

Anybody 'offended' by this isn't working on making a good game. Hope this can be compensated by the people that actually care about their work and give us all a game worth playing.

Her comments weren't just about transwomen, they were pretty inflammatory toward women as well

For example?

and overall poorly presented during a bad time in general.

Generally, the validity of an argument doesn't depend on when it's presented. Why are you being so cagey?
Quote her.

She's also allowed to have an opinion and offend people with it. I think it's possible that content creators and the things they create can be separate entities. For some solid counter point here, Daniel Radcliffe responded to her tweets

Terrible, terrible article, mostly comprised of unsubstantiated assertions, awful logic and the usual self-flagellation, an article which deliberately attempts to conflate divergent opinions with causing harm.

The point he seems to be missing is that Appeals to Authority logical fallacies won't cut it. It's precisely because trans-women do not meat any of the objective criteria for being deemed women that he's forced to Appeal to Authority and precisely why this revision of language shows itself to be entirely politically motivated and therefore to be rejected on empirical grounds.

So you're welcome to speak and take part in whatever corruption of language you approve of. Transwomen are not women. Calling them Transwomen is entirely appropriate and descriptive. I mean no harm and can only lament the fact some transwomen claim the statement makes them suffer. However, their alleged suffering is not my responsability nor does it allow them to lay any sort of claim on my fundamental rights.

Much of what Daniel Radcliffe has to say ether offends me. His irrationality offends me, his self-flagellation and subservience offend me. Will he edit the article so not to offend me? Will you edit your post so not to offend me either? Or is this display of seemingly boundless empathy highly discretionary and merely a pretence, a power play to compel people into behaving the way you want them to?

d I think made some salient points regarding Rowling, her opinions, and how they apply to Harry Potter overall. There's a lot to criticize beyond this.

A lot to criticize and yet somehow you won't.

I saw a healthy discourse about her racial stereotypes surrounding the character Chou Chang as well, so I'd be interested to see if this studio has any Asians that are offended by this.

Just because you apparently can't fathom the fundamental distinction between fiction and real life doesn't mean professional authors should make the same mistake.

People who get offended by fictional characters in a fantasy setting as though they were comments on real-life demographics of hundreds of millions of people might be struggling with some fairly basic concepts.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

JK Rowling has made some strange comments for sure. But who cares? Keeping making the game and move on, lmao.

It'd be funny if the game art mentioned "Without JK Rowling" or something, lmao.

Really though, maybe they feel like they need to cover their ass in fears that people will put a target on them as well? Who knows. Cancel culture can be pretty damn wild and they've been working on this game for awhile.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Eh, I think Harry Potter has it's place. I'm an elementary school teacher and the series is a great way to build confidence with young readers. At it's reading level, there isn't a whole lot to really compare it to.

I think the series itself is a ton of fun, but I'll never understand people who tie it (or any form of media really) to their identity.

Yeah, I just don't get this line of thinking. It's escapist fiction that takes place in a reality not our own. Why do some people need it to reflect their real life selves? Is it so important for them to be represented in a fictional world when the real world is what matters?

Take The Witcher for example. After the Netflix series premiered, it gained a whole new following among many people who weren't fantasy fans or gamers. And suddenly people are trying to justify that anyone can become a witcher even when it contradicts the lore. Check out this thread on twitter regarding witchers with disabilities:

screenshot_20200119-172718_twitter-jpg.1104950
\

It's pathetic.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
You need to check out the Era thread.

Soviet
Banned

User Banned (1 week): drive-by in a sensitive thread
Avalanche? Must be an open world then, color me interested.

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

Can't wait to play it. Give me a quidditch mode that's as fun as Quidditch World Cup was.

And that's just a few.

Roufianos

Imagine actually being deluded enough to think that fans will give a steamy shit about Rowling's comments.

So sick of these out of touch SJW cunts in the media acting like they represent the majority.

Ask 100 people in the street if her comments were offensive and I guarantee that 90 of them will struggle to even understand the "problem".

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Imagine actually being deluded enough to think that fans will give a steamy shit about Rowling's comments.

So sick of these out of touch SJW cunts in the media acting like they represent the majority.

Ask 100 people in the street if her comments were offensive and I guarantee that 90 of them will struggle to even understand the "problem".

I'd say 99 of them won't even know what she said.

GreyHorace

Soviet
Banned

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

Can't wait to play it. Give me a quidditch mode that's as fun as Quidditch World Cup was.

And that's just a few.

They expressed interest in a game and they were banned for it...

61184d2ff5f8e3213b466e9c07ad642e.jpg

I thought it was a gaming forum? Fucking losers.

Soviet
Banned

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

And that's just a few.

I used to lurk quite a bit there and did my best to just ignore the BS. It's becoming harder and harder to do because of the obviously 1-sided mod community that bans people to shut down any form of discussion on a "forum".

Astral Dog

Rowling doesn't deserve the hate, she has donated millions to victims of domestic abuse over the years and many affected by COVID, her famous series of book filled with anti racism themes

She is a kind person, at worst may be a little out of her depth/misguided when talking about some trans issues, but i can't believe she is a bigot or deserves so much bashing, these game developers are ridiculous

Last edited:

Nico_D

I don't know how I read Rowling's tweets so differently. She didn't say anything wrong or even stupid, except maybe trying to say something which makes sense in some alternative universe we currently don't live. And had it been bad and worse or whatever, it is still her opinion and she has a right to have on.

Resetera bans people now for saying they are interested in the game. It is "drive-by posting" in a "sensitive thread". Ok.

Airbus Jr

Banned
After ProJared, Angry Joe and JK Rowling..

My prediction for Resetera next target is....Hideo Kojima...

For being particularly sexist bulshit, putting sexy women in videogame, objectifying women blablabla..some sexist related bulshit...

You know the drill....

Those nutcase love dogpilling people

Last edited:

GreyHorace

lol does every post have to be a fucking essay or commentary on how white men suck now? can't even make a simple comment about a game without bans.

Bit off topic, but I loved when the Inklings, the Oxford literary group composed of JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Charles Williams and others, set some ironclad rules whenever they met up. Two of those rules being:

- No discussion of politics
- No discussion of your personal shit.

By contrast, ResetEra is the complete opposite. All their personal and political shit take precedence over discussing games.

cireza

Banned
These topics should have a specific tag, and we should have the option to ignore a tag (if not already available).

Yeah sorry, I just can't give a fuck about all this stuff.

Fuz

Banned

Soviet
Banned

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

And that's just a few.
Yeah, I mean... they're retarded for keeping posting there.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just don't get this line of thinking. It's escapist fiction that takes place in a reality not our own. Why do some people need it to reflect their real life selves? Is it so important for them to be represented in a fictional world when the real world is what matters?

Take The Witcher for example. After the Netflix series premiered, it gained a whole new following among many people who weren't fantasy fans or gamers. And suddenly people are trying to justify that anyone can become a witcher even when it contradicts the lore. Check out this thread on twitter regarding witchers with disabilities:

\

It's pathetic.

Whoever wrote all that Twitter shite needs a fucking kick up the hole.

Fucking idiot 🙄

Xtib81

So, so, so fucking tired of this cancel culture and all those shitty movements on social media. My brain can't even comprehend what the Fuck is wrong every time there's a new controversy.
When did people become so sensitive ? Serious question.

yurqqa

\

It's pathetic.

I actually think this is a great idea for a film or the series - peaceful village with the characters listed above.

And then the Mongols came.

And our heroes win by using perks of their personal disabilities.

This would've been fabulous !!!

Last edited:

Soodanim

You can read it here. Be prepared to be reading for a while as she is anything but brief. I don't consider myself a true feminist as you'll not see me white knighting, but I quite enjoyed reading her essay on this topic. As one who never read Harry Potter, I'm kind of taken by her writing and have a new appreciation for her. Her points basically boil down this, if you don't have the half hour to read. 1) Women naturally have a whole set of issues that they must labor through that trans-women will never know, and this recent trans-women's rights actually undercuts much of the feminist cause's gains for women's rights, because suddenly now, unlike at any other time in history, anyone can be a woman instantly. 2) I believe a lot of her apprehension towards trans-women's rights is rooted in the pain and emotional trauma she has experienced as a biological woman who has been physically and emotionally abused growing up and in her first marriage. She can totally sympathize with the danger that trans-women face, but it does not replace or override the cause that is women's rights. In particular, she is extra guarded with restrooms and changing areas where someone who decided he feels like a woman today shouldn't just be able to enter unannounced. This can and will cause a lot of negative feelings (fear, embarrassment) for the women who are in there and vulnerable.

To the point, Rowling never suggests that trans-women's rights and the cause doesn't deserve support. Rather, she is blunt in suggesting they're barking up the wrong tree in expecting all the same rights and spaces as biological women.
Replying to this because it was the first attempt at discussion in a thread of drive bys.

I read her website post then listened to a podcast where they discussed what she had said to get some perspective on the matter. The main point against what seemed to be the base of her argument is that the idea that you can just say you're a woman and get access to women's areas (toilets, changing rooms) is simply not true. And from my understanding, she is mistaken.

JK is worried about people just saying "Oh yeah I'm trans" to get into a women only area and perv. But I can't imagine anyone whose goal is to prove they're serious about it all and get started on hormone treatments is to go in a women's changing room and start windmilling their dick in front of strangers. They're going to want some privacy. Anyone being a perv, just like a lesbian could be a perv, is going to be called out and kicked out of any establishment they enter. It's also a lot of effort to go through. And even for the rare few that would do that, should everyone else be punished for the actions of a few?

To use an analogy, think of those people who over the years have called for games to be censored and banned because one nutjob somewhere decided to blame games for something. How do you feel about that notion? One person got shot by someone that played GTA, now you can't get the games you want.

When did people become so sensitive ? Serious question.
It's important to remember the bubble this is in. The vocal trans crowd isn't even representative of the whole online trans world, and the online stuff means very little to most of the real world. The real world tends not to be quite as sensitive, and more to the point vocal, about things. And even for those who are that sensitive and want people to listen to them, Twitter gives them a platform they don't have elsewhere.

Last edited:

Rikoi

JK is worried about people just saying "Oh yeah I'm trans" to get into a women only area and perv. But I can't imagine anyone whose goal is to prove they're serious about it all and get started on hormone treatments is to go in a women's changing room and start windmilling their dick in front of strangers. They're going to want some privacy. Anyone being a perv, just like a lesbian could be a perv, is going to be called out and kicked out of any establishment they enter. It's also a lot of effort to go through. And even for the rare few that would do that, should everyone else be punished for the actions of a few?
I think that if you got a dick you should get to a men area, I don't even know how this is even controversial.
If you wanna go to a women area get a sex reassignment surgery.

hyperbertha

For being particularly sexist bulshit, putting sexy women in videogame, objectifying women blablabla..some sexist related bulshit...

You know the drill....

Their whining only affects high profile people like actors dependent on the media and big companies for their careers. Angry joe, Rowling, Kojima etc probably couldn't care less what these nutjobs cry about.

SaucyJack

So where can I read her statement? From what I got second hand she sees a risk in exposing kids to transgender discussions and normalizing the topic?

I mean I'm a very liberal/progressive guy but that has always been a thought in my mind as well...

You know the drill....

Nah, the fascists are masters of an art called "hypocrisy".

Despite severely violating their "ethics", they still support with great enthusiasm:

- Persona 5
- Persona 4
- Dragon Quest 11
- Hideo Kojima

It's kinda of sad how they give up on their ideals just because a video game is "too good to miss out on". If Resetera was serious about their "ethics", they'd ban any talk about these games and Kojima. It won't happen, though, because they know it'd expose them as crazies even to many active users that would leave if they were forbidden to talk about these.

Top Bottom