• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harry Potter game is in development, delevopers hurt by JK Rowlings comments

StormCell

Replying to this because it was the first attempt at discussion in a thread of drive bys.

I read her website post then listened to a podcast where they discussed what she had said to get some perspective on the matter. The main point against what seemed to be the base of her argument is that the idea that you can just say you're a woman and get access to women's areas (toilets, changing rooms) is simply not true. And from my understanding, she is mistaken.

JK is worried about people just saying "Oh yeah I'm trans" to get into a women only area and perv. But I can't imagine anyone whose goal is to prove they're serious about it all and get started on hormone treatments is to go in a women's changing room and start windmilling their dick in front of strangers. They're going to want some privacy. Anyone being a perv, just like a lesbian could be a perv, is going to be called out and kicked out of any establishment they enter. It's also a lot of effort to go through. And even for the rare few that would do that, should everyone else be punished for the actions of a few?

To use an analogy, think of those people who over the years have called for games to be censored and banned because one nutjob somewhere decided to blame games for something. How do you feel about that notion? One person got shot by someone that played GTA, now you can't get the games you want.

It's important to remember the bubble this is in. The vocal trans crowd isn't even representative of the whole online trans world, and the online stuff means very little to most of the real world. The real world tends not to be quite as sensitive, and more to the point vocal, about things. And even for those who are that sensitive and want people to listen to them, Twitter gives them a platform they don't have elsewhere.

See, I actually didn't take this to be her point at all. She is concerned with the feelings and the fear that women and girls will experience at the sight of someone who still very much looks male freely entering these safe places. Of course, it's always possible that someone will seek a transition to go after the vulnerable, that is never out of the question. Still, the main problem is that there are a lot of women and girls who are legitimately afraid of seeing a man enter these places because they have suffered trauma previously. IOW, they deserve protection as well.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think that if you got a dick you should get to a men area, I don't even know how this is even controversial.
If you wanna go to a women area get a sex reassignment surgery.
Current UK law, which is where JK lives, is that you have to live the life of a woman for two years before you're accepted for hormone treatments and surgery. How do you propose that people prove themselves by living as a woman without using women's areas?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
See, I actually didn't take this to be her point at all. She is concerned with the feelings and the fear that women and girls will experience at the sight of someone who still very much looks male freely entering these safe places. Of course, it's always possible that someone will seek a transition to go after the vulnerable, that is never out of the question. Still, the main problem is that there are a lot of women and girls who are legitimately afraid of seeing a man enter these places because they have suffered trauma previously. IOW, they deserve protection as well.
That is a complicated one. Should people who were born with a biological defect they're working towards correcting be denied access to areas because there's the possibility that someone needs to be protected? I'd argue that those people need to work on their own issues instead of a blanket ban on people going for a piss in the place they're supposed to piss. Let's be honest, someone who knows that there's going to be stares one way of the other isn't going to walk in the changing area and stare at the scared woman in the corner. They are more likely to avoid public changing entirely, and if we're talking about toilets then they're all cubicles anyway.

iorek21

So, JK Rowling, writer of one of the most notorious literary works in the last 2 decades, being directly responsible for the introduction of millions of children into literature, is being cancelled because she said only women menstruate?

Man... just imagine if Lovecraft was still around

I bet even Tolkien and Lewis would get hate

GreenAlien

These topics should have a specific tag, and we should have the option to ignore a tag (if not already available).
No tag, but.. are you aware of
Annotation-2020-06-29-194426.jpg

Rikoi

That is a complicated one. Should people who were born with a biological defect they're working towards correcting be denied access to areas because there's the possibility that someone needs to be protected?
I mean we as a society usually protect women from the evil heterosexual males even when there is no proof of evil deed, we can see it happening everyday. How come should we change stance because the same men are claiming that they "feel" they are women?

We are having the same issue even in olympics, we are making trans break every women record because we can't admit they are biologically males and we are letting men compete against women. All because of this political stance.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The funniest thing is that she went out of her way to have diversity in the new fantastic beasts movie.

you had an asian woman. a black guy literally from africa. a mixed race girl. gay gandalf. all major characters. i bet shes thinking wtf more do i have to do to get these people off my back.

cormack12

Gold Member
Another shit smeared Jason 'exclusive' also known as he sat outside with the purple hairs on their lunch break. If you don't like it, resign then. Make a stand. Fuck me, the amount of times I've looked at my managers in disblief as the shit they've asked me to do. Unfortunately it's good money, so you make your decision. IS the stand worth the loss. It's not, so you suck it up.

Arkam

I cannot stop laughing. Not sure what is more sad/funny. The fact that a couple Avalanche developers are that mentally fragile or that Rowling is getting a taste of the ( ever evolving) SJW mantra she was pushing not that long ago.

I really (REALLY!!!) wanted this game... now I am not sure I want to give any of them my money. Everyday its getting easier and easier to horde my money when people show their ass like this.

Sygma

Yes, Sygma asserts it.
How can it not be true?
But, hey, keep going.

Say, science as a whole made progress toward understanding that despite what seemingly should be a binary result when taking in account chromosomes and anatomy alone toward determining a gender, the reality is much more complex on a pure biological point of view which is, in fact, undeniable.

As a bonus from a place of good faith, I'll even link educational material made by biologists

By having the following understanding, I would then assume that by simply following JKR's output, one could form a frame of why her stance is problematic

She's been doing this for years, claimed being knowledgeable which doesn't mean she can't be wrong, always backpedal or have an excuse and seems to, again, tolerate trans women (while still not considering them as women) but not trans men

She's a terf. Nothing to be irked about, just how it is. She never made any good argument to begin with

Last edited:
Something about trans women are not real women

Which will never be wrong. There have been threads asking "would you date a trans woman" on the other forum, and even they predominantly would NOT date them. How can anyone claim trans women are real women, if they refuse to date them? That's why I cannot consider them real women, because the mere thought of getting intimate with a trans women is sickening to me. That's just for dating, though. You can still be supportive of trans women in general, but it's fair to have certain boundaries, too.

cireza

No tag, but.. are you aware of
Annotation-2020-06-29-194426.jpg
Yes thanks, but there are much more threads like these than I expected. It's just that I don't come here for this stuff, still that's my problem, sorry for interfering with the thread.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Which will never be wrong. There have been threads asking "would you date a trans woman" on the other forum, and even they predominantly would NOT date them. How can anyone claim trans women are real women, if they refuse to date them? That's why I cannot consider them real women, because the mere thought of getting intimate with a trans women is sickening to me. That's just for dating, though. You can still be supportive of trans women in general, but it's fair to have certain boundaries, too.

Resetera

Users Banned : (temporarily 2 weeks) for showing unwilingness to engage in sexual relationship with women with dicks

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The developers can buy the IP from JK. I stole this idea.

Yep, its the idea that puts me off as well. I mean kudos to them, being born in the wrong body is no joke and very sad actually as I can't imagine the dread they feel. Hating your very appearance. Its good that there are ways to change that.

Besides that, I think true feminine characteristics can't be copied, no matter how hard you try. Its those characteristics that draw me in more than looks. I think you can see or feel (no pun) somethings off if you're a dude that fancies women.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I feel the same way. I mean, there are some beautiful transgender women in Thailand that would make any man's head turn. But the fact that they were once men turns me off.

CAB_Life

Her comments weren't just about transwomen, they were pretty inflammatory toward women as well, and overall poorly presented during a bad time in general.

She's also allowed to have an opinion and offend people with it. I think it's possible that content creators and the things they create can be separate entities. For some solid counter point here, Daniel Radcliffe responded to her tweets and I think made some salient points regarding Rowling, her opinions, and how they apply to Harry Potter overall. There's a lot to criticize beyond this. I saw a healthy discourse about her racial stereotypes surrounding the character Chou Chang as well, so I'd be interested to see if this studio has any Asians that are offended by this.

I think when people have a large platform, whatever they say is going to offend someone. She could tweet "I like mac and cheese" and vegans/people with dairy allergies will snap back at her.

Just so we’re clear, you’re talking about her tweetstorm and not the rather salient essay she wrote later to clarify her thoughts?

Because there wasn’t much in that piece—imo—with which to take umbrage. Twitter, however, remains the worst medium for human discourse in the history of the world, where everything and anything is without context and often misconstrued or garbled or truncated beyond belief.

I wonder how much worse will the Western world will get in recards of this nonsense. It's pretty sad how easily the left/"progressive" people eat each other alive.

About the game. Never been a fan of Harry Potter so I doubt this game will peak my interest.

Silvawuff

Just so we’re clear, you’re talking about her tweetstorm and not the rather salient essay she wrote later to clarify her thoughts?

Because there wasn’t much in that piece—imo—with which to take umbrage. Twitter, however, remains the worst medium for human discourse in the history of the world, where everything and anything is without context and often misconstrued or garbled or truncated beyond belief.

Definitely the former. I heartily agree Twitter is a real shitty space to have a conversation about, well,. anything.

Also Sygma Sygma thank you -- with sharing your thoughts, you've clarified my personal stance about this better than I've managed in this thread.

OZ9000

Banned
Say, science as a whole made progress toward understanding that despite what seemingly should be a binary result when taking in account chromosomes and anatomy alone toward determining a gender, the reality is much more complex on a pure biological point of view which is, in fact, undeniable.

As a bonus from a place of good faith, I'll even link educational material made by biologists

By having the following understanding, I would then assume that by simply following JKR's output, one could form a frame of why her stance is problematic

She's been doing this for years, claimed being knowledgeable which doesn't mean she can't be wrong, always backpedal or have an excuse and seems to, again, tolerate trans women (while still not considering them as women) but not trans men

She's a terf. Nothing to be irked about, just how it is. She never made any good argument to begin with

These are disorders which can yield a range of phenotypes. The new trend of multiple genders is not rooted in science but rather sociopolitical influences. Do we expect the majority of trans individuals to have biological aberrancies? No.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I mean we as a society usually protect women from the evil heterosexual males even when there is no proof of evil deed, we can see it happening everyday. How come should we change stance because the same men are claiming that they "feel" they are women?

We are having the same issue even in olympics, we are making trans break every women record because we can't admit they are biologically males and we are letting men compete against women. All because of this political stance.
That's a whole different issue though. I don't know enough about the level of difference between competitors to make an informed comment, but if someone has had the musculoskeletal development of a male body before transitioning then it is an unfair advantage for the same reasons there's a men/women split in sports in the first place. You can't compare that to taking a piss and regular people going about their life.

Example 1, 2.5 years apart
Example 2, 10 months of HRT
Example 3 and 4 (same person, 3 and 4 years respectively)

Obviously I've cherry picked the best examples to prove a point, and if you go mtf later in life then you won't get the same results. But if the difference in how you're perceived in some rare encounter of a scared woman in a toilet your is potentially as little as a year of hormones then it shows how much of a farce the whole argument is. What if you get a female that looks and dresses particularly manly? Does she have the same effect on scared woman?

Something about trans women are not real women

That they can removed genitals, add boobs etc but genetically their body and genes are still XY

That statement triggered alot of trans/ lgbt community
You can be born XX and grow up male, and vice versa. Which interesting in and of itself.

I think the worst part of this whole thing is that the people on Twitter whose gender pronouns are their entire identity don't do any favours for those that just want to live their life. If there was more of that and less of the people who say the insane nonsense like "I'm a trans woman but I'm also a deer" then there might be less of JK's sentiment.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
"JK Rowling's recent comments about transgender people bothered at least a few of the game's developers."

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT WANT SOME PEOPLE TO BE BOTHERED, PLEASE REMOVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Making sane arguments gets you crucified these days.

Imagine what this shit hole of a world is going to look like in twenty years.
Like a queer version of Idiocracy. Replace Terry Crews with RuPaul.

The end result of this extremism is social authoritarianism that infects all aspects of life such as entertainment.

Laieon

Ryuelli
Banned

User Banned (1 week): drive-by in a sensitive thread
Can't wait to play it. Give me a quidditch mode that's as fun as Quidditch World Cup was.

And that's just a few.
You need to check out the Era thread.

Soviet
Banned

Avalanche? Must be an open world then, color me interested.

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

Can't wait to play it. Give me a quidditch mode that's as fun as Quidditch World Cup was.

And that's just a few.

👋

NullZ3r0

Banned
You need to check out the Era thread.

Soviet
Banned

Avalanche? Must be an open world then, color me interested.

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

And that's just a few.
Late stage liberalism in full effect over there. Jesus.

zcaa0g

Banned
The game developers don't care; they just want people to think they care. I'm not projecting, I'm just a living breathing bullshit detector.

It's better to be disrespected with honesty than respected with lies.

Holammer

Rowling's "trans exclusionary" stance has been discussed and is public knowledge since 2017.
Funny how the developer gets pissy about it now while we're in the middle of cancellation season and they probably spent 3'ish years on the game already. The Mormons at Avalanche Software better offer a public apology pronto, had I been in her shoes? I'd lawyer up and burn the studio to the ground.
Not because I hate trans people, I'm just a vengeful SOB kinda guy.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
So if A FEW of their team are bothered by it (possibly guys with open mouths and soybeards), doesn't that mean the MAJORITY doesn't give a fuck? Nice article soy king.

zcaa0g

Banned
How dare you shame transvestites but rock on when it comes to murdering babies! smh at these handful of confused devs.

UnNamed

Banned

I really don't understand this article.

3k words, maybe more, but the core of the article find its sum in just 8 words: The situation made some members of the team uncomfortable.

What's the point? Is Shreirer reporting any news or he just tried to create a news?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I really don't understand this article.

3k words, maybe more, but the core of the article find its sum in just 8 words: The situation made some members of the team uncomfortable.

What's the point? Is Shreirer reporting any news or he just tried to create a news?

I think his main content is cancel culture trash. It brings in the clicks. You rile up sane people and you make the cancel culture fans wet their panties.

I personally dont give a fuck what people do with their bodies, and they should be given rights and whatever. But Jk Rowling didnt say nothing I disagree with. People are making this too complicated. Like you need the indifferent(me) people on your side. But to be honest im tired of their pointless bitching.

Sygma

These are disorders which can yield a range of phenotypes. The new trend of multiple genders is not rooted in science but rather sociopolitical influences. Do we expect the majority of trans individuals to have biological aberrancies? No.

Of course, however it still doesn't validate JKR's following stance : "I have knowledge about these things, therefore you're all wrong"

She very obviously don't have any, or her beliefs are severely impacting her cognition as per tradition, who the fuck knows

SantaC

After ProJared, Angry Joe and JK Rowling..

My prediction for Resetera next target is....Hideo Kojima...

For being particularly sexist bulshit, putting sexy women in videogame, objectifying women blablabla..some sexist related bulshit...

You know the drill....

Those nutcase love dogpilling people
Era are hypocrites because their rule doesnt apply to good games.

Remember how everyone gushes over Dragon Quest games despite that composer that has said 100x worse things than JK Rowling.

waxer

I agree with points made on both sides. Also non trans/fake trans people is becoming more popular way to stand out. Which doesn't help matters. Especially in the teenage years.

Then you have the like of people that are just mentally unstable like if their mother has beaten them their whole life and changing is a subconscious way of becoming powerful or some shit.

Complex topics like that can't be summarised by small statements and nitpicking them will always find something to complain about and varying opinions. Hell two psychologists may have 2 opinions that are both right based off their clients.

People that stir up shit based off twitter etc are just idiots. It's not reality.

Last edited:

MP!

a couple things
1. I'm not sure how much JK is actually involved anymore as her empire is likely managed by a committee
2. I doubt that an entire studio of people feels the exact same way on any issue as studios are largely made up of different people with different backgrounds anddiffering opinions.
(It's the reason why I don't give a crap about Companies showing support of anything... cause it's you know ... a company... making products)

Say, science as a whole made progress toward understanding that despite what seemingly should be a binary result when taking in account chromosomes and anatomy alone toward determining a gender,

No, sir. I am told gender is a social construct.
Therefore anatomical and chromosomal differences can't be the issue.
Don't you believe gender is a social construct?

But If we're talking about biological sex, then the discussion must take the aforementioned into account.

the reality is much more complex on a pure biological point of view which is, in fact, undeniable.

Yes, made by some biologists. No , wait!
This isn't very important, but just to clear matters, let me tell you the host is Hank Green, whom I'm very familiar with. He's a published author. His Wikipedia entry has this to say:
"William Henry "Hank" Green II (born May 5, 1980) is an American video blogger, internet producer, musician, author, entrepreneur, and CEO."

I can't find the word "Biologist" in there.

But weren't you talking about gender? Why are you linking to a video about sex? Are the two terms interchangeable to you?
That's funny, because the video starts out by drawing what in his mind at least is a clear distinction between sex and gender.

You are deeply confused.

But let's go though the video:

First off, he uses the Strawman of a high-school biology class, as though it were ever at the bleeding edge of science and not stand as an introductory course that concerns itself with the rudiments.

Secondly, the video cites a figure of nearly 2% of abnormal cases, DSDs cases. That figure, conveniently, is not the lowest, not even the mean, but the highest estimation (source) . But for the sake of argument let's accept that figure, which , conversely, translates to more than 98% of typical cases. More than 98% is an overwhelming majority that certainly warrants a legitimate generalization. How would you describe a distribution where more than 98% falls within two extremes and less than 2% is said to do it on a continuum?

Thirdly, DSDs have been discussed for long. The terminology has changed but the rudimentary concept has been around for quite a while now (source).

Fourthly, is the scientific consensus that the human species is not sexually dimorphic?
"Humans are sexually dimorphic"(source)
"Generally, the five factors are either all male or all female. Sexual ambiguity is rare in humans
" (source)
"HUMANS ARE A SEXUALLY DIMORPHIC SPECIES, meaning that each sex appears and acts differently than does the other in many ways. "(source)

Sixthly, when talking about the overlap in phenotypes, he provides no numbers, no stats, no categories, nothing. I'll help him and you out. I'll provide figures for genetic deviation. These are the words of he World Health Organization:
"Humans are born with 46 chromosomes in 23 pairs. The X and Y chromosomes determine a person’s sex. Most women are 46XX and most men are 46XY. Research suggests, however, that in a few births per thousand some individuals will be born with a single sex chromosome (45X or 45Y) (sex monosomies) and some with three or more sex chromosomes (47XXX, 47XYY or 47XXY, etc.) (sex polysomies).
"
(source)

I'm sure you can work out the math of what percentage constitutes "a few births per thousand".

Seventhly, he miraculously forgets to mention some of these manifest themselves devastating defects. For example,

"The median age of survival was 77.9 years for controls and 67.5 years for 47,XYY persons, corresponding to a loss of median lifespan of 10.3 years. Kaplan-Meier survival graphs in 47,XYY compared to an age-matched male background population.
"
(source)

Yes, on average this condition robs the patient of a decade and here we have this individual describing it as thought it were just a difference in eye colour. Is he really conflating genetic abnormalities with a sexual continuum?

Eighthly, he mentions Turner Syndrome and Klinefelter Syndrome , both of which are very rare and more importantly both of which by his own admission have severe adverse effects. My goodness, again, is he really presenting those as evidence sex is on a continuum rather than that genetic anomalies occur? This is absurd.

Ninthly, he goes on to mention mosaicism and genetic chimerism . That's odd given that the first translates to a mild phenotype (source). As for microchimerism, "People who retain higher numbers of cells genetically identical to their mother's have been observed to have higher rates of some autoimmune disease "(source) In his infinite wisdom, he doesn't mention that "Most people are born with a few cells genetically identical to their mothers' and the proportion of these cells goes down in healthy individuals as they get older"(source)

Again, this is a a genetic accident that is relatively rare, and can have adverse consequences. It cannot be described as a healthy condition proving sex is on a continuum.

Tenthly, he goes on to talk about sexual development. He recruits a number of genetic processes such mutations to elaborate on the complex interactions between genes and sexual differentiation. One should reiterate the very salient point that mutations and syndromes aren't terribly helpful when making the case sex is on a spectrum with regard to healthy individuals.

The final point, and the most important one, is that this has little to do with trans-people. His claim is that "People with DSDs do report high rates of gender dysphoria". Let's look at those pesky things called numbers:

"Gender dysphoria generally affects between 8.5–20% of individuals with DSDs, depending on the type of DSD." (source)

That's an average of 14,25%. So the descriptor "high rates" is not accurate, is it?

You have been proven wrong thoroughly .

Your reply seems to be another iteration of the usual smear campaign, whereby a difference of opinion is portrayed as transphobia. I know the drill. To the authoritarian, one can't possibly hold a different but sincere and honest view. No. It has to be maligned and vilified as hatred.

People who accuse others of transphobia sometimes don't know what a phobia entails or do so to try to silence others in good old authoritarian fashion.

The first tweet of her is a statement about her reading through the literature. The second is about sex being a biological reality. It is.
The third is about women and only women menstruating. The fact transmen menstruate doesn't invalidate the fact only women menstruate

Being a Terf, even if that were true, wouldn't disqualify her arguments. Arguments are not wrong by virtue of the person presenting them.

I'm not really interested in continuing this interaction. Your post is awful , resorts to the usual insinuations and is entirely inconsistent with what she actually tweeted and you chose to quote.

Just know smear campaigns will be called out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom