• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harry Potter game is in development, delevopers hurt by JK Rowlings comments

Boneless

Say, science as a whole made progress toward understanding that despite what seemingly should be a binary result when taking in account chromosomes and anatomy alone toward determining a gender, the reality is much more complex on a pure biological point of view which is, in fact, undeniable.

As a bonus from a place of good faith, I'll even link educational material made by biologists

By having the following understanding, I would then assume that by simply following JKR's output, one could form a frame of why her stance is problematic

She's been doing this for years, claimed being knowledgeable which doesn't mean she can't be wrong, always backpedal or have an excuse and seems to, again, tolerate trans women (while still not considering them as women) but not trans men

She's a terf. Nothing to be irked about, just how it is. She never made any good argument to begin with

No shit sherlock, you really think anyone thinks sex is truly binary? Everything is a spectrum in the end, but that doesn't change anything. We call green green, and humans humans. At some point, a Homo erectus gave birth to a Homo sapian, isn't that weird? No it isn't, because we all understand evolution is a spectrum, but we categorise to organize our world and our thoughts. Stating things are fluid doesn't help anything, you need to look at the practicality. And when you look at practicality, you understand that the smaller the minority, the less efficient it will be to make exceptions. Or shall we start writing in biology books that a human has 10 fingers, but put a footnote next to it that explains that in SOME situations a human might have 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 fingers?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Say, science as a whole made progress toward understanding that despite what seemingly should be a binary result when taking in account chromosomes and anatomy alone toward determining a gender, the reality is much more complex on a pure biological point of view which is, in fact, undeniable.

As a bonus from a place of good faith, I'll even link educational material made by biologists

Some pretty blatant sophistry there I'm afraid. I really hate it when facts are manipulated and packaged in such a way as to give a certain impression, or to lend support to a particular article of dogma.

Which is precisely what that video does.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This dude lives to try to create controversy where there is none.

"at least a few" developers huh? lol

Yoboman

The gist of it is that she’s feels that recognizing ones actual sex is important. How can one be a feminist and talk about their struggles as a woman if the word woman is meaningless?
What struggles does a billionaire white woman have?

She should shut the fuck up

Sygma

More than 98% is an overwhelming majority that certainly warrants a legitimate generalization. How would you describe a distribution where more than 98% falls within two extremes and less than 2% is said to do it on a continuum?

If the entirety of your post which, unsurprisingly falls into the composition / division fallacy, aims at dismissing the fact that a figure as low as 2% still is representative of a phenomena happening to begin with, then I really don't know why you lost your time

You have been proven wrong thoroughly .

No you actually made my point even clearer, by using denial

You also presented a thoroughly inconclusive argument, with a bit of an appeal to emotions on top. Chill out my man, and go play where you belong. She is a terf, and I'm transphobic when it comes down to dating preferences. Don't know why a simple terminology bothers you that much, I really don't give a fuck about not being willing to date a trans woman

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Recently Cory Barlog had the guts to mildly imply to Jason Schreier on Twitter that he is becoming an arrogant prick way over his own head.

Yeah this one cracked me up because Jason might actually be RIGHT here in that Neil may hold a grudge due to his reporting on crunch time, but Jason is a prick who deserves it and his crunch time reporting is some try hard leftist crap anyways.

Rikoi

What struggles does a billionaire white woman have?

She should shut the fuck up
She said she's not speaking for herself because she has not that kind of issues but she's speaking for the weaker women.
Now you can take your own advice for yourself.

If the entirety of your post which, unsurprisingly falls into the composition / division fallacy, aims at dismissing the fact that a figure as low as 2% still is representative of a phenomena happening to begin with, then I really don't know why you lost your time to begin with

No, I explicitly said otherwise. and described as a legitimate generalization. If you don't know what the fallacy of composition is, let me help you: Fallacy of Composition.

But apparently you're more interested in regurgitating and keeping the smear campaign alive than addressing almost the whole of the post.
As expected and in fact as predicted.

Luckily, the facts are out in the open and people can go through them for themselves. Just because you don't seem to know what a distribution is doesn't mean that shortcoming limits everyone else.

Keep on the subtle smear campaign.

No you actually made my point even clearer, by using denial

I refuted the entire video.

You also presented a thoroughly inconclusive argument, with a bit of an appeal to emotions on top.

Nothing in my arguments was an appeal to emotions.
You're really not versed in logical fallacies.

Chill out my man, and go play where you belong. She is a terf, and I'm transphobic when it comes down to dating preferences.

All irrelevant, except to show yet again you don't know what a phobia is.
Doesn't come as a surprise.

As for the "go play where you belong", please give that advice to your relatives, will you?

Don't know why a simple terminology bothers you that much, I really don't give a fuck about not being willing to date a trans woman

Still irrelevant. Still nothing to counter my extensive points.
As predicted.

Last edited:

Yoboman

She said she's not speaking for herself because she has not that kind of issues but she's speaking for the weaker women.
Now you can take your own advice for yourself.
The only authority she has on the issue is menstrual cycles. She has zero clue about what struggles and intersections issues an average woman faces daily and there is a reason she hasn't been able to put forward any sort of coherent argument

I doubt she has faced a real issue in her daily life for decades now. I am not going to take the word of a woman who has billions in wealth who has an army of fans who worship the ground she walks on for something she started 30 years ago. when I assume she was a much more humble and empathetic person.

No more than I would take seriously Jeff Bezos on the economic condition of modern workers. He also struggled 20-30 years ago!

Or better yet, I'd take her no more seriously on women's issues than I would Hillary Clinton. Grand standing for a cause you have no place in

Last edited:

sol_bad

This forum does seriously have a problem. Anyone that disagrees with what JK said is told to leave and go to Era. For the record, I agree with what she said, women and trans women are very different, I'd never in my life date a trans woman.
But let's cut the shit, grow up and stop telling people to leave just because they have a differing opinion.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

For the record, I agree with what she said, women and trans women are very different, I'd never in my life date a trans woman.
But let's cut the shit, grow up and stop telling people to leave just because they have a differing opinion.
I agree with this. I respect trans people, they can do whatever they want with their lives, but i dont see a transwoman as a real woman and i wouldnt be able to date one.
Before someone calls me transphobic for this, how many guys here would feel comfortable dating a transwoman? I dont think many would feel like that.

Fbh

The thing about this report is that it's so unspecific it's hard to make anything out of it.
Based on the leaked footage this looks like a pretty high profile, big budget title. Meaning there's probably anywhere from several dozens to even hundreds of people working on it. What's "a few" devs? Depending on the number this could become an issue within the studio and even affect the game itself...or be completely irrelevant. It could be that a large part of the team is upset about this, or people in key positions, or it could be 5 people on entry level jobs in a 200 people team.

Also kinda off topic but the Kotaku article about this is hilarious. They mention how "transphobe" and "bigoted" JK Rowling is multiple times. And the top comment is something like "what is it about wealth that it turns people into monster?".

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Serious question if i refuse to have relationship with a trans women because she has a stick does that makes me transphobic ? Cos according to Ree it is

This forum does seriously have a problem. Anyone that disagrees with what JK said is told to leave and go to Era. For the record, I agree with what she said, women and trans women are very different, I'd never in my life date a trans woman.

I've skimmed the thread out of boredom, and i've seen no such thing. Any examples? People are usually level headed in this forum. I've never seen one view or another dogpiled on, for example.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I agree with this. I respect trans people, they can do whatever they want with their lives, but i dont see a transwoman as a real woman and i wouldnt be able to date one.
Before someone calls me transphobic for this, how many guys here would feel comfortable dating a transwoman? I dont think many would feel like that.
The vast majority of people would flip their shit if they realised they were being deceived. Trans women are NOT women and this is a biological fact.

Sygma

And yet, your counter argument is worse.

Biological men don't give birth or have periods, end of. Link me to all the nuscience youtubers you like but sometimes reality isn't what we want it to be.

You need better understanding of my initial point I guess. She doesn't seem to tolerate trans men at all which is the whole point of my post

My counter argument isn't worse, its just a reality check. Like the first argument of the guy was to point out the host of the video rather than the science behind it, and then explained how some parts of what was exposed in it somehow wasn't good enough because it missed some elements which weren't relevant to the context. In fact if you check out all the sources linked in his post, it still undeniably shows that these things can occur no matter how small or large of a %

Last edited:

Hunnybun

You need to check out the Era thread.

Soviet
Banned

User Banned (1 week): drive-by in a sensitive thread
Avalanche? Must be an open world then, color me interested.

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

Can't wait to play it. Give me a quidditch mode that's as fun as Quidditch World Cup was.

And that's just a few.

That place is absolutely batshit insane.

It's so weird to me. I'd never have thought gamers would fit the template of insanely authoritarian SJW. It just doesn't seem to fit, you know?

I mean, if it was a group of vegans, then yeah I could imagine them being a bit lefty. Or even, say, poetry fans.

But gamers? I don't get it. And they're basically ALL like that on there. This JK thing, something so obviously arguable, yet they all speak with a single voice on the matter, and actually ban people who dissent.

Has anyone ever actually met one of these people? Just how nuts are they? What drives them to this behaviour?

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

It's so weird to me. I'd never have thought gamers would fit the template of insanely authoritarian SJW. It just doesn't seem to fit, you know?

I mean, if it was a group of vegans, then yeah I could imagine them being a bit lefty. Or even, say, poetry fans.

But gamers? I don't get it. And they're basically ALL like that on there. This JK thing, something so obviously arguable, yet they all speak with a single voice on the matter, and actually ban people who dissent.

Has anyone ever actually met one of these people? Just how nuts are they? What drives them to this behaviour?
If you think about it, gaming is the modern escapism.
Escaping into a world of fantasy, where everything can be how you want it to be... it all falls into place.

Soodanim

The vast majority of people would flip their shit if they realised they were being deceived. Trans women are NOT women and this is a biological fact.
Thought experiment:
Patient A is a woman who lost the ability to menstruate, and through hormone imbalances looks somewhat masculine. She has the XY chromosome.

Patient B is a trans woman who started hormone therapy at 19, has had all the surgery and is visually indistinguishable from any other woman. She has the XX chromosome.

Compare and contrast.

Biological fact isn’t as useful as you might think. Not being able to menstruate as a woman is a biological abnormality. Being born with the opposite chromosome is an abnormality. Hermaphroditism, etc etc. This much is obvious. But let’s not lose sight of the fact that this issue is about that small percentage of the world with this area of biological abnormality. If you look at being transsexual (ie the state of having followed through with it) as fixing nature’s mistake in the same that myriad other things get fixed, it’s not as big a deal as you might think. It just takes fixing on a bigger scale. But if you catch it early enough, you might be surprised at how effective hormones can be. I posted examples earlier in the thread.

Of course if you were deceived you should be upset, which is why a lot of trans people go for people who are bi and okay with it (which is where the word pansexual comes in). Anyone who kept that a secret from a partner would be asking for trouble. You can make that argument for anything: if you met someone and said very early on “I want to have kids and I don’t mean adopted” and 5 years later you find out she’s kept the fact that she’s been sterile forever from you, you’d be just as justified to be lied to.

Last edited:
Jason why are you so ducking annoying? Ugh

How many devs are working on the HP game currently? Any guess? and how many do you guys think are genuinely “hurt” by this?
why are they even hurt? Wtf? Fake progressive sensitive ass bitches

Shin

Banned
The old leak, there's a video also.

Harry-Potter-Game-for-PS5-and-Xbox-Series-X-2021-Siliconera-653x400.jpg
20181002_021105_thumb.jpg
20181002_021000_thumb.jpg
20181002_022317_thumb.jpg
20181002_021049_thumb.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Normally I wouldn't think much of this, but I can see a campaign on social media calling for the game to be cancelled, then it escalates and people are calling for the whole Harry Potter franchise to be banned. Books are no longer sold, films are removed Universal shuts it's HP park in Orlando and the HP studio tour in London are both closed.

Maybe that's extreme, but have you seen some of the comments on Era and Twitter? The above really wouldn't surprise me.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The old leak, there's a video also.

Harry-Potter-Game-for-PS5-and-Xbox-Series-X-2021-Siliconera-653x400.jpg
20181002_021105_thumb.jpg
20181002_021000_thumb.jpg
20181002_022317_thumb.jpg
20181002_021049_thumb.jpg

dayam that does look good, as for JK's comments, i read the essay and it was eloquently written and as bout as transphobic as a bottle of gin ffs. There is a clear distinction between actual Women and Transwomen, end off, case closed nothing to see here. I have no problem with Transwomen but i ain't dating one and they really should stop with the whole we're actual women thing as its causing a lot of people like myself becoming more and more irked at the whole movement in general, you cant menstrate, you can't give birth and you were born with a fucking dick, just accept it ffs and move on.

SaucyJack

The final point, and the most important one, is that this has little to do with trans-people. His claim is that "People with DSDs do report high rates of gender dysphoria". Let's look at those pesky things called numbers:

"Gender dysphoria generally affects between 8.5–20% of individuals with DSDs, depending on the type of DSD." (source)

That's an average of 14,25%. So the descriptor "high rates" is not accurate, is it?

And that's 14.25% of a few people per thousand, right?

So, let's say a few people is 5 per thousand = 0.5% of the population. Then people with DSDs with gender dysphoria is circa 0.07% of the population.

Soodanim

I don't think this is possible. In my experience, you can always tell.
What if you have seen some indistinguishable transsexual people, but you didn’t notice because they are indistinguishable? I linked some pictures on Reddit earlier in the thread, you might be surprised at the results of starting treatment early. I know I was.

I’m new to this and my knowledge is minimal, but I’ve been surprised by what I’ve found when looking into it for just a short while. Not everyone is a grizzled 50 year old lumberjack who decided to make the change, of course you’re not going to come out the other side like looking like a MILF.

royox

Wait...is all this fuss about that comment she made because in some place it was written "people that menstruate" instead of women and she said "there are words to define those people...like WOMEN"?

McCheese

Wait...is all this fuss about that comment she made because in some place it was written "people that menstruate" instead of women and she said "there are words to define those people...like WOMEN"?

Yup.

But let's be honest, Jason likely made the story up so we're reacting to the outrage caused by a fake story, triggered by a factual tweet.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Jason Schreier, this guy has an agenda to push and that’s what he’s exactly doing. If someone criticizes him on something, they get insta blocked, that’s how fragile this guy is. If some of these devs are THAT bothered by what she said, then quit. You can’t profit off HER work while also complaining about her opinion because it’s different from yours. Otherwise, just SHUT THE FUCK UP and focus on delivering a good game.

The Alien

Banned
Is it really news at this point when someone is offended by something? Just shut up and do the work or leave.

Of course Schrier is attached to the article.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Its a cult, a religion. They don't think for themselves, they parrot what they are told to parrot.

Javthusiast

Banned
Developers feefees got hurt? Ooooh.

For me personally the creator needs to do some really heinous shit for me to stop using, buying, watching, reading etc. their product. Even then I might do it anyway. I simply don't care what Rowling or any other creator vomits out on twitter daily.

Silvawuff

Its a cult, a religion. They don't think for themselves, they parrot what they are told to parrot.

Yeah, it's some scary shit. There are plenty of people in this topic that I heartily disagree with, but I respect their right to have and share an opinion in open discourse without fear of getting banned for having it.

Christ on a ritz.

kiphalfton

Daniel, Emma, Rupert, this game dev, etc. need to put their money where their mouth is. If it's such an awful thing what JK Rowling said, and they truly don't believe it and it goes against their principles, stop accepting royalties/kickback from the movies or Harry Potter franchise. That would be a strong statement of support.

PresetError

Neophyte
What if you have seen some indistinguishable transsexual people, but you didn’t notice because they are indistinguishable? I linked some pictures on Reddit earlier in the thread, you might be surprised at the results of starting treatment early. I know I was.

I’m new to this and my knowledge is minimal, but I’ve been surprised by what I’ve found when looking into it for just a short while. Not everyone is a grizzled 50 year old lumberjack who decided to make the change, of course you’re not going to come out the other side like looking like a MILF.

There are certain things very difficult to modify. Bone structure, voice, frame, etc. I think I've always noticed something off when meeting trans people but I give you the benefit of the doubt with your hypothesis. I could be wrong.

Top Bottom