• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New HAWKEYE Ongoing Is 'VERONICA MARS With Superheroes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

New HAWKEYE Ongoing Is 'VERONICA MARS With Superheroes'

Hawkeye2.png

Over several volumes of Young Avengers and Hawkeye, Clint Barton's young namesake Kate Bishop has become a breakout star, and now she's finally getting her due in an all new solo series written by Kelly Thompson, with art from Leonardo Romero and Jordie Bellaire.

Thompson spoke to i09 about the new series, explaining that it picks up with Kate moving back to Venice Beach to work as a superhero/private eye in the wake of Clint Barton killing Bruce Banner.

"I don’t think she’s disillusioned so much as just emotionally a bit spent by it and feeling like she needs a clean break from things," Thompson explained. "Also feeling a bit like she needs to prove to everyone, perhaps most notably herself, that she can stand on her own."

As for the book's tone, Thompson described the new Hawkeye title as "Veronica Mars with superheroes."

"When I was pitching I initially described Kate’s book as Veronica Mars with superheroes, and though a lot has changed since pitching, I think that still sums us up pretty well. Kate will be taking on P.I. cases – both her own personal mission that brought her back to L.A., and the clients she finds – but you can’t take the superhero out of Kate, nor would we want to. She’s an archer first and foremost. One of the really fun things about Kate as both archer and P.I. has been seeing the way that those skill sets naturally overlap. Being an archer makes Kate a better P.I., and being a P.I. makes Kate a better superhero."

Hawkeye #1 is scheduled to debut in December.

Kate's dope. Will read. I would really want an America and Kate buddy series, but I don't get what I want.

Besides, Clint's busy with his whole "the people's Avenger" thing, which doesn't grab me at all.

KNT-Zero

I'm not into comics, but I can already see this is gonna be like "teenage girl detective" + superhero stuff, rather than an actual comparison to Veronica Mars.

Like saying Giana Sisters is like Mario but with girls. :v

FnordChan

I'm not into comics, but I can already see this is gonna be like "teenage girl detective" + superhero stuff, rather than an actual comparison to Veronica Mars.

Well, if it's anything like Kate Bishop's LA antics in the Fraction Hawkeye run, it will be kinda like Veronica Mars, except that she's bad at being a detective and her support team mostly consists of a dog. I'd happily read more comics like that, whether they star Hawkeye or not.

FnordChan

Sandfox

Kate's dope. Will read. I would really want an America and Kate buddy series, but I don't get what I want.

Besides, Clint's busy with his whole "the people's Avenger" thing, which doesn't grab me at all.
In the interview Thompson states that she wants to bring America into the book.

May give this a spin but did they really have to put "adorable archer" on there? I'm fairly certain that Kate took the mantle of Hawkeye due to her skill rather than looks.

Cover aside, just give me more "LA Woman" vibes and I'll be cool.

Squire

Banned

Like saying Giana Sisters is like Mario but with girls. :v

Kate is like 20, so nah.

Sean C

Kate has had quite an interesting road to being the most significant Young Avenger, long-term.

I don't follow a lot of the mainstream superhero stuff especially closely now, but is Cassie still being treated like her entire superhero career didn't happen?

Squire

Banned
May give this a spin but did they really have to put "adorable archer" on there? I'm fairly certain that Kate took the mantle of Hawkeye due to her skill rather than looks.

Cover aside, just give me more "LA Woman" vibes and I'll be cool.

Kelley Thompson said:
"I think Kate’s got such a strong and singular voice, even when she’s in a group, that once you tap into that voice as a writer, she just sorta bosses you around and tells you what she wants to do," Thompson continued. "Our series is definitely a spiritual successor to what Matt Fraction and Annie Wu began when they brought Kate to L.A. We’re definitely doing our own thing, but they absolutely laid the groundwork for where we wanted to take Kate. It was the next logical step."

We in there.

Blader

Kate has had quite an interesting road to being the most significant Young Avenger, long-term.

I don't follow a lot of the mainstream superhero stuff especially closely now, but is Cassie still being treated like her entire superhero career didn't happen?

Didn't she die?

Hawkguy is dead?

Thank god, shit was garbage
It's one of these very few times, like when you talk about Kirby's Fourth World, where you stop making sense.

That man of the people stuff reenergized Hawkeye. Before that, Ronin was a better Clint Barton and Kate was a better Hawkeye.

Slayven

It's one of these very few times, like when you talk about Kirby's Fourth World, where you stop making sense.

That man of the people stuff reenergized Hawkeye. Before that, Ronin was a better Clint Barton and Kate was a better Hawkeye.
What I say about the Fourth world? The 90s Orion series did a lot to De-Corny the concept.
And I always rep Takion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom