• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New hi-res Prince of Persia 2 3D screens

Santo

http://www.bonusstage.com/art1648.html

Ubisoft today sent over two hi-res Prince of Persia 2 3D screens in Quicktime format. The new screens showcase the bloody carnage in 3D as the Prince wages battle against his enemies and brutally slices the blood-thirsty creatures with his fatal sword.

*click the link for the 3d screens*

pop2_gen_1.jpg

Yeah Ubi sent me those too...Pretty nice looking. They really are trying to get more appeal with Prince of Persia 2 aren't they?

Santo

Personally I think they look awesome and the game is shaping up very nicely. Can't wait..

olimario

Banned
Beautiful. Wonderful.
Lovely. Breathtaking.

PoP 2 look fantastic.
That second QT and the area in the screen look like the Earth Temple from TWW.

Looks good but... are decapitations really necessary?? Personally, I think it cheapens the experience for the sake of TEH COOL factor.

Azih

The new screens showcase the bloody carnage in 3D as the Prince wages battle against his enemies and brutally slices the blood-thirsty creatures with his fatal sword.
Dammit who got hack and slash in my platformer?

Mrbob

huzkee said:
Looks good but... are decapitations really necessary?? Personally, I think it cheapens the experience for the sake of TEH COOL factor.

UBI decided they wanted to rip off Team Ninja for PoP2. More than just decapitation area....

Which is good, 'cause it measn I'll probably like it. Unlike the first game that bored me with its combat action.

Guzim

Mrbob said:
Unlike the first game that bored me with its combat action.
IAWTP. It was a good game, but it just got boring when it was the same thing over and over again.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
uh, the original prince of persia featured some very graphic death animations. this is hardly a new or uncharacteristic element.

i have some real concerns about this game, but the backlash is already getting tiresome. mainly because so much of it involves tossing around dead buzzwords like "angst" and "goth" whether they really apply or not. which, when it comes down to it, is in the something awful school of "let's trash geek subcultures that differ somewhat from our geek subculture HAHA LINKIN PARK FURRY HOT TOPIC." it's specious and moronic. you also see claims that the game's purity has been somehow tainted by avarice or pop culture. typically this comes form nintendo fans. save your moral outrage for something with a moral component. it's just games.

3phemeral

Regardless of the plot-devices they use for the storytelling, the game is turning up absolutely beautiful. Also, I'm not sure if it was in the first game, but the way blood splotches hurdle through the air sort of remind me of the anime sequence in the first Kill Bill.

ge-man

drohne said:
uh, the original prince of persia featured some very graphic death animations. this is hardly a new or uncharacteristic element.

i have some real concerns about this game, but the backlash is already getting tiresome. mainly because so much of it involves tossing around dead buzzwords like "angst" and "goth" whether they really apply or not. which, when it comes down to it, is in the something awful school of "let's trash geek subcultures that differ somewhat from our geek subculture HAHA LINKIN PARK FURRY HOT TOPIC." it's specious and moronic. you also see claims that the game's purity has been somehow tainted by avarice or pop culture. typically this comes form nintendo fans. save your moral outrage for something with a moral component. it's just games.

I could care less about the art design change--I'm more concerned that the game is centered around the fighting. Did no one else think that the fighting sucked ass in PoP? I hope this part is being seriously revamped.

Ranger X

drohne said:

I agree with all this except one thing. There are messages in videogames. Game designers express themselves and actually "talk" to you with their games. Exact same thing as music, movie, painting, etc.

drohne said:

No. Don't be pointing fingers at Nintendo fans just because some of them have a problem with the look. If I can play Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, etc. on GC, I wouldn't volley against this game because of how dark it is. I'm volleying against the look and approach because it's not just dark, it's slap-you-in-the-face-xtreme-angst dark.

Just because you seem to be completely oblivious to horrible pop culture references doesn't mean the rest of us are. This "X-Treme" approach has been making its way to almost every side of mainstream consumer products and marketting. It's also a stigma that is attached to the videogames now.

Even Vexx had these ties. Vexx!!
216485.jpg

It's all too easy to make a game over-the-top and violent to help feed it to the masses. "It's just games" doesn't cut it here. This medium has artistic sides to it, but it's examples like these that cheapens the image of the entire industry.

Let me tell you something. I have ties to a particular developer who are making a 3rd person action adventure game. Early on in the process I had a chance to play it in its early form (before any of it was shown to the public.) The art design was really great and the main character was charming in his own way. Then about a year later they tried to shop the title to the major publishers and were getting a hard time. All the publishers (even big ones here folks) were saying that the game needed to be darker and more "mature". Soon after I came back to the studio and tried the game again. I couldn't believe it; the main character had gone from really unique to totally-over-the-top guy with freaking blades on his arms. Furthermore, they had spent lots of time not tweaking the gameplay at all and simply adding blood and what not. If you look hard enough you can see this throughout the entire industry. It makes people like myself sick to see something so potentially artistic get turned into fast food for the masses.

Ranger X

JasoNsider said:
It's all too easy to make a game over-the-top and violent to help feed it to the masses. "It's just games" doesn't cut it here. This medium has artistic sides to it, but it's examples like these that cheapens the image of the entire industry.

Let me tell you something. I have ties to a particular developer who are making a 3rd person action adventure game. Early on in the process I had a chance to play it in its early form (before any of it was shown to the public.) The art design was really great and the main character was charming in his own way. Then about a year later they tried to shop the title to the major publishers and were getting a hard time. All the publishers (even big ones here folks) were saying that the game needed to be darker and more "mature". Soon after I came back to the studio and tried the game again. I couldn't believe it; the main character had gone from really unique to totally-over-the-top guy with freaking blades on his arms. Furthermore, they had spent lots of time not tweaking the gameplay at all and simply adding blood and what not. If you look hard enough you can see this throughout the entire industry. It makes people like myself sick to see something so potentially artistic get turned into fast food for the masses.

this needed to be read twice.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't think your outrage is at all rooted in or justified by what we know about the game. i don't especially like the thoughtless imposition of unmodulated pop culture on games either, but too often words like "angst" and "xtreme" are used as lazy slurs against -- basically -- games that don't adhere to nintendo's aesthetics and design philisophies. particular, specific criticisms of the game would go a lot further than righteous hysterics.

complaining about graphic violence in this game betrays an ignorance of the franchise. the story's clearly rather darker than that of the first, perhaps undesirably so, but i honestly expect the developers to tell it thoughtfully and skillfully. i'm bothered by the new focus on combat. but that's not a moral issue.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
JasoNsider speaks the absolute truth. Art is being compromised for violent mainstream appeal. I wonder what the next BG&E will look like.

rastex

Banned
Wyzdom said:
this needed to be read twice.

I just don't understand what the complaints are though. Publishers just produce what they think people will buy. And it looks like people want more mature, violent and graphic games. The only people we have to blame for that are ourselves and the rest of the buying public. Change the way THEY think and you'll get the games you want. Unfortunately, like all mass forms of entertainment media what appeals to the masses usually doesn't to the "elites"

Prine

Banned
+1 decaptations

We know the game will play well, they just need to sort out the combat. Taking off limbs is incredible satisfying. Hope they include the option to take out legs and arms

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mrbob said:
UBI decided they wanted to rip off Team Ninja for PoP2. More than just decapitation area....

Which is good, 'cause it measn I'll probably like it. Unlike the first game that bored me with its combat action.

Rip off Team Ninja?

Uhh, I think arabs were beheading people long before Ninja Gaiden.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wonder if the decapitation will be cut from the european release like Ninja Gaiden.

(See what i did there?)

jett

D-Member
I agree with everything Drohne has said.

Anyway, the PoP franchise has always been very freaking bloody. Sands of Time is the odd one, not PoP2.

Vlad

What they really need to do is integrate the platforming and fighting parts a little more. In the original, I loved not only having to worry about fightning the bad guys, but keeping an eye out for any traps in the area. Of course, pushing your opponent into the chomping blades or onto a pit of spikes was always great fun, too. In SoT, the seperation of fighting and platforming was just a little too drastic. You knew that as long as you were in an area with the traps and jumps, you never had to worry about fighting, and as long as you were fighting the monsters, you were completely safe from any traps that may be around (simply because they never put them next to each other).

Top Bottom