• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Okay so this is something I've wondered for a while. How strong is Hisoka? He was absent during the Chimera Ant arc but I feel that he wouldn't have been able to stand up the higher powered characters of that arc like Morel or even Palm post-transformation. I know he would stand no chance against the higher ranked Ants, but what about God Speed Killua? I definitely feel he could beat Hisoka.

He's stronger than Morel and Palm and pretty much all of the squad leaders and wannabe kings. Not as strong as the royal guards themselves though he's pretty close. The Phantom Troupe vs Ant episodes are a good example since all those guys are comparable to Hisoka, though he's at least top 3 of the Phantom Troupe. He's probably still stronger that Killua. Bungee Yum let's him move at insane speeds, too.

He's stronger than Morel and Palm and pretty much all of the squad leaders and wannabe kings. Not as strong as the royal guards themselves though he's pretty close. The Phantom Troupe vs Ant episodes are a good example since all those guys are comparable to Hisoka, though he's at least top 3 of the Phantom Troupe. He's probably still stronger that Killua. Bungee Yum let's him move at insane speeds, too.
Yeah Phantom Troupe cake walked almost through their chimera ant fights, except Kalluto. So I guess it's Chrollo, Hisoka and Feitan in that order? I think when it comes to against Killua Hisoka's biggest edge is in experience. It takes more than just raw power normally to win a Nen fight, which is something the shows usually goes out of its way to portray. I think in about 5 years Killua will either catch up to or eclipse Hisoka. He's strong but Killua and Gon have scary growth potential and they come from top tier genes.

Haven't read the manga past the anime. Is Hisoka really that much stronger than Morel? I feel that Morel has waaaay more experience than Hisoka.

Yeah Phantom Troupe cake walked almost through their chimera ant fights, except Kalluto. So I guess it's Chrollo, Hisoka and Feitan in that order? I think when it comes to against Killua Hisoka's biggest edge is in experience. It takes more than just raw power normally to win a Nen fight, which is something the shows usually goes out of its way to portray. I think in about 5 years Killua will either catch up to or eclipse Hisoka. He's strong but Killua and Gon have scary growth potential and they come from top tier genes.

Yeah I think your ranking of the Phantom Troupe is correct. I mean Cheetu is leagues faster than all of his opponents but that didn't mean crap for him. Killua doesn't have the experience, and Hisoka is a more intelligent strategist which is 90% of the fight in this series.

That said, I don't think it'll be 5 years before Killua (And Gon if he ever gets his nen back) surpass Hisoka. If they keep growing as they've grown they will absolutely pass Hisoka within a year. Keep in mind the anime takes place over just 2 years. Their growth is insane.

Haven't read the manga past the anime. Is Hisoka really that much stronger than Morel? I feel that Morel has waaaay more experience than Hisoka.

Hisoka vs. Morel is actually a decent match up, with Hisoka ultimately coming out ahead. For what it's worth there's an official stat chart of most of the characters and Hisoka's stat total is just 1 point ahead of Morels. I don't really buy into the stat chart itself, but I the ranking just happens to generally align with how I'd rank things.

Jigorath

Banned
Yeah I think your ranking of the Phantom Troupe is correct. I mean Cheetu is leagues faster than all of his opponents but that didn't mean crap for him. Killua doesn't have the experience, and Hisoka is a more intelligent strategist which is 90% of the fight in this series.

Cheetu couldn't turn his fingers into razor blades and cut off someone's head with ease the way Killua could. Cheetu's also a complete idiot. Unless Hisoka can move a lot quicker than I'm giving him credit for than I don't see how he deals with a Godspeed Killua. You'd need to have Netero/Gon-san levels of speed or the durability of the Royal Guard to defend yourself against him.

Kieli

I think you guys are overestimating Killua even with Godspeed. He's very dangerous now, but don't think he's quite ready for Hisoka/Chrollo tier hunters.

PixelatedBookake

I think you guys are overestimating Killua even with Godspeed. He's very dangerous now, but don't think he's quite ready for Hisoka/Chrollo tier hunters.

But he was able to face off against Youpi. That has to count for something. Also I don't feel like Hisoka and Chrollo are on the same level. Chrollo has too many tricks. Also considering Killua is familiar with Hisoka's tricks means he won't be caught off guard easily.

WetWaffle

If there's one thing I've learned from Togashi's work, it's that the main characters will always outshine everyone else, and if they don't, something will happen to turns things around in their favor. Hisoka could've fought fucking Meurem and Togashi would have somehow found a way to make him survive or even win.

Cheetu couldn't turn his fingers into razor blades and cut off someone's head with ease the way Killua could. Cheetu's also a complete idiot. Unless Hisoka can move a lot quicker than I'm giving him credit for than I don't see how he deals with a Godspeed Killua. You'd need to have Netero/Gon-san levels of speed or the durability of the Royal Guard to defend yourself against him.

I mean... he actually kind of did in his fight against Morel.

Godspeed doesn't actually increase Killua's speed beyond what he can already do with Ren. What it DOES do is improve reaction time and his thought-to-action ratio. It's very powerful, and Killua's natural speed is incredible and thus his boosted speed is incredible. But once you realize the speed enhancement of the ability is just Ren, and that technically speaking Hisoka could replicate the speed feats to a similar degree it puts it into perspective. Also there's a limit to how long Godspeed can last until he needs to recharge. Strong technique, but beatable and Hisoka is ultimately crafty enough to beat it I feel.

Besides. Hisoka's power has the properties of both rubber and gum.

But he was able to face off against Youpi. That has to count for something. Also I don't feel like Hisoka and Chrollo are on the same level. Chrollo has too many tricks. Also considering Killua is familiar with Hisoka's tricks means he won't be caught off guard easily.

So were Shoot and Morel at least to some degree. I'd say Killua (And Gon) are (were) less than a year away from surpassing Hisoka given their level of growth.

Kieli

I mean... he actually kind of did in his fight against Morel.

Godspeed doesn't actually increase Killua's speed beyond what he can already do with Ren. What it DOES do is improve reaction time and his thought-to-action ratio. It's very powerful, and Killua's natural speed is incredible and thus his boosted speed is incredible. But once you realize the speed enhancement of the ability is just Ren, and that technically speaking Hisoka could replicate the speed feats to a similar degree it puts it into perspective. Also there's a limit to how long Godspeed can last until he needs to recharge. Strong technique, but beatable and Hisoka is ultimately crafty enough to beat it I feel.

Besides. Hisoka's power has the properties of both rubber and gum.

So were Shoot and Morel at least to some degree. I'd say Killua (And Gon) are (were) less than a year away from surpassing Hisoka given their level of growth.

The Dark Continent is only going to accelerate that growth, when the pair & Alluka inevitably get pulled into the fray.

I want to push back on that a bit. I know Godspeed does do all those things you're saying by bypassing his nervous system but some scenes really make it seem like some straight speed is involved too. Particularly I'm thinking of the election arc when Killua was running away from Tsubone. Godspeed is really draining to use but he's got it activated the whole time and he's literally just running down the highway (at first.)

Does he need increased reaction time just to make the turns on the highway? I doubt it, since when Tsubone uses her nen ability to increase their speed to start catching up there's no reason to assume either Tsubone or Canary naturally has the same reaction time Killua does with his specialized Godspeed ability.

I want to push back on that a bit. I know Godspeed does do all those things you're saying by bypassing his nervous system but some scenes really make it seem like some straight speed is involved too. Particularly I'm thinking of the election arc when Killua was running away from Tsubone. Godspeed is really draining to use but he's got it activated the whole time and he's literally just running down the highway (at first.)

Does he need increased reaction time just to make the turns on the highway? I doubt it, since when Tsubone uses her nen ability to increase their speed to start catching up there's no reason to assume either Tsubone or Canary naturally has the same reaction time Killua does with his specialized Godspeed ability.

He does when he already knows he's being followed by his family and agents of his family.

Godspeed probably does improve Killua's speed. It's just that's not what's special about it. By the rules established for the Nen system directly enhancing his speed can only be ren. Killua's affinity for transmuting his aura into lightning, and using said lightning to increase his reaction speed and thought-to-action is what makes Godspeed special and the fact that Killua is naturally a fast little fucker because of his assassin training. Any master enhancer who is specifically looking to improve their speed can outdo Godspeed in terms of raw speed.

BaasRed

Banned
I really don't think traditional power levels apply here, considering how every ability has it's weakness and strength with few exceptions. Hisoka can defeat a lot of the ants, but he wouldn't be able to beat something he can't even keep up with speed wise. It's fun to speculate but I'm not sure how well Hisoka fits in the Chimera Ants arc considering they were made to overwhelm everybody on basic strength and speed.

I really don't think traditional power levels apply here, considering how every ability has it's weakness and strength with few exceptions. Hisoka can defeat a lot of the ants, but he wouldn't be able to beat something he can't even keep up with speed wise. It's fun to speculate but I'm not sure how well Hisoka fits in the Chimera Ants arc considering they were made to overwhelm everybody on basic strength and speed.

Traditional power levels apply, but aren't the end all be all in Hunter x Hunter. The way the nen system works, unless Killua is an enhancer or his aura completely dwarfs Hisoka's there's no real way he's going to be able to straight up out speed the guy faster than he can react the way people seem to be assuming. They're both transmuters. They both have equal efficiencies when it comes to directly enhancing their bodies.

Gotoh was able to throw coins at Hisoka with more power than bullets and Hisoka was still capable of reacting to them and blocking them. Do you really think Killua is capable of running faster 1,700 mph? In the same fight, Hisoka was shown to use his nen to grapple around the battleground and dart around his opponent faster than they eye can see.

Like I said before, what makes Killua's godspeed special is it's improvements towards his reaction time and thought-to-action. That's why it lets him keep up with Youpi better than any other character we've seen.

Just finished binge watching the show over the past month. Loved it for the most part. I liked how fast the pace was in the first ~70 episodes and the relatively minimal use of exposition and narration. The sense of adventure and lack of traditional shonen tropes (main character gets hyped up and beats the bad guy, then another stronger bad guy shows up for him to beat) was refreshing. Id say the hunter exam, phantom troupe, and greed island were my favorite arcs in that order.

Obviously, the chimera ant arc is the elephant in the room since it takes up almost half the show. I thought it had a lot of great stuff, like mereum's arc.I actually teared up at the end of that. Never cried watching an anime before. And most the characters introduced were great. Only problem I had was that the pacing was REALLY slow at times. I swear there were a few episodes where the narrator had more dialogue than all the other characters combined, and over half the animation was still images. I understand that there was like 6 things happening all at the same time in the span of 5 minutes but you didn't have to slow it down to the point where you're explaining about the nuances of everyones emotions and thoughts when its easy to figure that stuff out yourself. And before that there was too much buildup for the infiltration to the kings palace and too much focus on side fights and planning. I feel like chimera ant arc could have been shrunk down from 60 episodes to 40-30 and have been much better for it. Also gon going super saiyan was a little weird but I feel like the trade off of him almost dying because of it made it more acceptable for me. Interested in what exactly happened to him cause it didn't seem like normal aura.

Outside of that, the show was great. I loved the main group and wished they were together more. There's probably not going to be more anime episodes for a very long time if I understand the manga situation correctly but I feel like it had a satisfying ending so it doesn't bother me really.

The anime left out some interesting info/foreshadowing about the Gyro character, but it's kinda understandable why. Though, it makes some of the side stuff throughout the Chimera Ant arc seem pointless to a lot of viewers, as I've noticed

Daingurse

The anime left out some interesting info/foreshadowing about the Gyro character, but it's kinda understandable why. Though, it makes some of the side stuff throughout the Chimera Ant arc seem pointless to a lot of viewers, as I've noticed

If Hunter x Hunter ever finishes, I really imagine he must be a part of the endgame.

Gyro is still one of the weirder foreshadowing choices Togashi has made. He's really the only loose thread that guarantees the DC arc won't be the last.

It's hard to believe that it hasn't even been a year since the last chapter was released. And with so much Dragon Warrior on the horizon...

Jigolo

Doesn't make a difference anyway, not in the mangas current pace.

kirblar

Gyro is still one of the weirder foreshadowing choices Togashi has made. He's really the only loose thread that guarantees the DC arc won't be the last.

It's hard to believe that it hasn't even been a year since the last chapter was released. And with so much Dragon Warrior on the horizon...
There is totally a Mecha arc on the (far, far, far) horizon given the nature of the DC.

remz

If there's one thing I've learned from Togashi's work, it's that the main characters will always outshine everyone else, and if they don't, something will happen to turns things around in their favor. Hisoka could've fought fucking Meurem and Togashi would have somehow found a way to make him survive or even win.
After the chrollo fight, survive, maybe but win? no way.

also considering the result of chairman vs meurem, idk

ElFly

so I am watching this Phantom Rouge movie

is it possible to place this in the bigger story? should have happened...before Greed Island?

or is this a dragon ball ova dealie

Fandangox

Hisoka could've fought fucking Meurem and Togashi would have somehow found a way to make him survive or even win.

Given Hisoka was featured in pretty much every arc before this, I always assumed is that due to Hisoka's bloodthirsty nature / fighting boner Togashi didn't put him in this arc cause he genuinely couldn't write around an scenario were where Hisoka doesn't get himself killed 20 seconds into the palace assault.

Given Hisoka was featured in pretty much every arc before this, I always assumed is that due to Hisoka's bloodthirsty nature / fighting boner Togashi didn't put him in this arc cause he genuinely couldn't write around an scenario were where Hisoka doesn't get himself killed 20 seconds into the palace assault.
Netero's Zero Hand could barely dent Meruem and that was like a Kamehameha, what's Bungie Gum going to do? Fuck Zeno would probably kill him. Like, "I heard you've been lookin' at my grandson's ass."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

When his boner gets hard enough the nuke inside it goes off.

Jigolo

Hisoka (and a few other characters in the series) are capable of going toe to toe with the Royal Guard.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Pouf didn't even seem stupidly strong in an offensive manner. I think a lot of stronger Nen users could have taken him as long as they didn't get psyched out lol.

Ooo the Hunter x Hunter thread has been bumped!

Oh, it's nothing :(

Me every time:

IgMyx.gif

There's no way in hell Hisoka can stand up to a Royal Guard.

He probably can't even outright kill that booby Ant. He'll prolly just piss her off.

Daingurse

Pouf didn't even seem stupidly strong in an offensive manner. I think a lot of stronger Nen users could have taken him as long as they didn't get psyched out lol.

He didn't seem that way, but dude was still a Royal Guard Chimera Ant! He could rip through most Hunters like they were tissue paper. Pouf is one of the strongest beings we've seen in HxH.

Pouf's biggest problem was Pouf. He was very unstable emotionally, and got stuck in his own head too much. That really messes up his overall combat potential. Because on paper, Pouf is extremely formidable. Deadly! But in an actual fight, he's pretty damn vulnerable.

There's no way in hell Hisoka can stand up to a Royal Guard.

He probably can't even outright kill that booby Ant. He'll prolly just piss her off.

I need to see Hisoka fight Feitan. That would be a good barometer for where's he's at. The last few chapters in terms manga make me need to reevaluate his chances lol.

Fandangox

Netero's Zero Hand could barely dent Meruem and that was like a Kamehameha, what's Bungie Gum going to do? Fuck Zeno would probably kill him. Like, "I heard you've been lookin' at my grandson's ass."

haha

Hisoka (and a few other characters in the series) are capable of going toe to toe with the Royal Guard.

Is that really true though? Of the people present maybe only Zeno and Netero could, but one mentions that Pitou is too strong for him the other skips out due to a misunderstanding. The rest of the people had to come prepared to just distract the royal guard, using hit and run tactics on Youpi, and Morel keeping Pouf occupied (sort of). Ging and Pariston probably could fight some of the Royal Guard, but we don't know their abilities, only that they are probably experienced enough to be able to get around the Royal Guard's powers. Gon only beat Pitou cause he was mad as fuck and became huge in a move that cost him his nen, left him in a coma, and almost dead.

I am assuming in this hypothetical scenario Hisoka would be composed enough to follow the plan until he gets into the range of Pitou's aura and has the complete opposite effect Knov had, enjoys the biggest erection he has had in his life before he drops dead from the excitement (or from a fight with Pitou, take your pick, the former is funnier)

When his boner gets hard enough the nuke inside it goes off.

my god

remz

I love that Maha's always been a fucking geezer, he's as old as time itself...probably Nen bullshit.

Current=ish manga spoilers
Secret of eternal life from the dark continent.... maybe. Could be from Don Freecs' generation. I wanna know what Zzig's deal is too...

Kyzer

Banned
ok guys Im finishing up the chimera ant arc and I need some answers...things got really weird starting around when they stormed the palace.

First of all, what does the rest of the world think happened in this territory, whats the story theyre saying and what the refugees think?

Also, why did Netero have to even do all that if what ended it is what it was ? Kinda confused

Top Bottom