• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New images of Banjo Kazooie

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Looks good. I remember playing the original back in the 90's. I liked it.

nib95

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I have, everything is flat. This has texturing that you can see all the way across the level.

Erm...I'd say from these screens it appears you could see a whole lot more in the distance with R&C5 than you can with Banjo, where distance textures appear kind of white/hazy/not so detailed.

nib95 said:
Erm...I'd say from these screens it appears you could see a whole lot more in the distance with R&C5 than you can with Banjo, where distance textures appear kind of white/hazy/not so detailed.

The problem with R&C5 is that it looks really good in screenshots, but everything looks like wallpaper in game. With most games the screenshots are significantly worse than in game.

Regardless this looks above average, colour bukkake aside.

krzyspc

Banned
Brandon F said:
This isn't Banjo Kazooie! This is Nuts and Bolts. SHOW ME BANJO-KAZOOIE!!!

Banjo-Kazooie%20(2).gif

nib95 said:

:lol
Theres plenty of footage out there.

And theres a BIG technological difference between being pretty with a huge draw distance, and being pretty with a huge draw distance of traversable, functional, populated game world.

Enkidu

You know, I hate myself for not liking this. I've been waiting for a Banjo game for so long, and now that I finally see it, I can't help but feel it's one of the most unappealing things I've ever seen. For some reason I can't even appreciate the technical greatness of the graphics. What is wrong with me? I've never had a problem with Rare's art style before.

I feel so left out :(

Firestorm

Enkidu said:
You know, I hate myself for not liking this. I've been waiting for a Banjo game for so long, and now that I finally see it, I can't help but feel it's one of the most unappealing things I've ever seen. For some reason I can't even appreciate the technical greatness of the graphics. What is wrong with me? I've never had a problem with Rare's art style before.

I feel so left out :(
You gotta get the game and play through the game! I'm really liking the colours. Art style not so much, but colours are beautiful.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dorfdad said:
Id like to be objective here on something and ask a legit question.

#1. I just went out last night and bought a 360 Local EB had them already on sale 299.99 and I got a few games tossed in. I had 210 credit so I was like with ok ill jump in..

So I picked up Halo 3, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, and Project Gotham Racing.

I also happen to own a PS3 and Ratchet and Clank and comparing this with Ratchet and Clank im kinda disappointed in Banjo's Graphical Prowess I will get it as I love the series. but Im wondering if this is indicative of the graphical limitations of the 360?

I know it's one game but Rare always had great looking games this looks no better than kameo which was a launch title.

Also any sleeper 360 hits I should get?

Blue Dragon, could be had for pretty cheap now.

jakncoke

Banned
Nolan. said:
Might aswell get saints row too if you're getting crackdown (where is the Crackdown sequel ms -_-).

I read somewhere Microsoft took too long too ask for a sequel and RW started there other game.

DarkKyo

Looking awesome. Totally excited for this one. I love the nice looking graphics and art design. Too many games now have a dull and grey look, so if they can make it look as nice, but with an original art style, me likes.

I also happen to own a PS3 and Ratchet and Clank and comparing this with Ratchet and Clank im kinda disappointed in Banjo's Graphical Prowess I will get it as I love the series. but Im wondering if this is indicative of the graphical limitations of the 360?

You didn't really buy a 360 did you? You can tell us....

gururoji said:
...I was hoping to see what the XBLA re-release of the original is going to look like. This is starting to look pretty darn great though.
Has a possible release date for the XBLA game been discussed yet?

pr0cs

I know they marketed this as a casual kid-friendly game but I have a feeling that it will suffer Pinata-itis where the game is too complicated for kids to really get into.
I'm as stoked about this game as I am for a lot of other more mature games this fall, my wife calls me a big child so why break the trend.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mr. Spinnington said:
nobody's arguing that the game looks bad

the new gameplay looks like shit is all

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=183884

Rare has unquestionably had a tough time of it since its acquisition by Microsoft - something which the studio addresses in Banjo in a typically self-deprecating British way, with the E3 demo level including a massive dustbin full of copies of Grabbed by the Ghoulies, its Xbox flop. Later in the level, we try to lift the dustbin, but it tips over in mid-air, spilling Xbox game cases all over the floor.

With Viva Piñata, however, it found its feet creatively if not commercially - and Banjo looks like it will be the next major step on Rare's road back to good fortune. Whether that's enough to make it into a bona fide hit or not is hard to say, but on the strength of the E3

esbern

personally i'm thankful that the bird on my back that could fly like a week ago in my lifespan so that i can dick around all day make a helicopter out of a kitchen sink

Brashnir

painey said:
yeah but now even her head is robotic, you can see the panels.

The premise of the game is that the King of Games (or whatever) has manufactured a world of challenges for Banjo. Maybe he manufactured a fake Grunty too, and we won't see the real Gruntilda until later in the game.
OMG spoilars

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Looks good! I didn't play any of the previous banjo games but this is certainly looking like something to get interested in. The videos look really, really nice.

bridegur

Graphically, this looks amazing. I'm still a bit skeptical about being in a big clunky vehicle for a good portion of the game, however.

Agent Icebeezy

http://www.*******.com/2008/07/16/*******-e3-hands-on-banjo-kazooie-nuts-and-bolts/

I'm no great fan of Banjo-Kazooie. In fact, if memory serves, I once stated on the ******* Podcast that a bear who had a bird in his backpack is the single dumbest idea for a game in history. So it was no small amount of dread that I sidled up to Banjoe-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts last night at a Microsoft party.

As a game, I still don't feel like I get BK:NaB. In the sliver I was playing I got a sense that I needed to win some races to collect some puzzle pieces, and that frankly wasn't enough to inspire me to keep playing.

Sure, it looked really gorgeous, with zero pop-in and tons of color, a welcome respite from a lot of the grays and browns I'd been seeing during the week. Controls were pretty solid too. Some of the vehicles were disorienting at first, but they didn't take too long to get a hold of.

Regardless, it could have been the result of the selection I was playing or how much time I could spend with it, but I was bored and almost ready to pack it in, secure in the knowledge that my preconceptions were once again on the money.

But then I tried the vehicle editor.

Well, I and X3F's Richard Mitchell tried it out, and then, almost at the same time, I'd wager, we fell and fell hard.

It happened like this: We hopped into the garage and started tearing apart the Rare-provided ride, stripping it down to its base components. We then souped it up, strapping on four jets and retractable wings on each side.

Modding vehicles may look daunting at first, but it's actually surprisingly intuitive. If you can attach a piece to the spot you have it, it turns green. If it won't, it turns red. Simple. Each vehicle has a few layers you can cycle through before you use the control stick and d-pad to adjust the alignment of the specific part.

We saw dozens of add ons, from light and heavy propulsion (like jets) to wings and wheels and some specific gadgets like a spring that launches you into the air. Once you're back in the game, the gadgets get automatically mapped to the face buttons.

It's such a pleasure that even when your vehicle doesn't work out thank to the surprisingly realistic physics, it's no chore to give it another try.

Once we had outfitted out jet-powered fly car we took it out for a spin. Richard rocketed off a ramp with his jets and, moments before he crashed into the ground, extended his wings which sent him soaring towards the room's ceiling. It was in that moment that the real draw of the game became completely apparent.

For the next half hour I played with our rocket car, with each crazy build providing a completely different feel and, more often than not, a lot of fun.

So no, I still don't know if Nuts and Bolts will be a good game. But what I can say pretty authoritatively? As a toy it's already brilliant.

Agent Icebeezy

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168692&p=4

What's our take? Though the game looks amazing -- and at this stage, it's already running smoothly -- we're still not completely sold on the idea of a platformer that relies so heavily on driving and flying. While you have the option to upgrade your ride with new abilities, the driving physics seemed loose, which made the vehicles difficult to control and prone to flipping over. Still, the team's already made subtle changes to the game (like adding the aforementioned quick-fix button), so they certainly have time to tweak these control issues.

It's certainly empowering to be able to create a vehicle from so many options, but this also makes the process feel intimidating. With all of the things to do, items to collect, and vehicles to upgrade, this game might fall into the familiar trap of being too complex for young children yet too cute for teenagers and adults. What we've seen so far is just a small slice of a much larger game, though, so there's always the chance the finished product will overcome these concerns.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Pretty much. I don't get what the big deal is with Ratchet. Game looked like a Pixar movie in the screenshots (bullshots?) but when I finally get around to actually playing it, it looked like nothing of the sort. It looks pretty, sure, but it's not the jaw dropping visual tour de force most make it out to be. Game got pretty boring as well. I never got around to finishing it.

Banjo looks amazing, though. The scale of some of these worlds is pretty impressive, and the building mechanic looks like a lot of fun.

wat

Really? I couldn't disagree more, I don't think any game on consoles looks as close to a Pixar movie as R&C does. Taking nothing away from Banjo which seems to be more diverse gameplay wise and impressive in it's own way.

Top Bottom