• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info about Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3D

I took the "KH gameplay" as a mean of saying it was gonna be an action RPG as SE lacked other recognizable action franchises.

KH gameplay for a big edgy HD Final Fantasy is a joke in my opinion.

A japanese boys band with a brooding leader is generic. the modern day setting is tempting but tricky, it will be only as good as the story can be.
I only say KH because thats what the people making it also make. And the last trailer looked like if anything it was relegated to KH. Dosent inspire much confidence in me either.

And Noctis' supposed personality is not enough for me to think the game looks generic. From the world view, the setting, and even the costuming. It does not look like a FF game before it. Even the atmosphere the trailers provide is different from past FFs. So even if the story finds itself lacking, it has other aspects that will seemingly set it apart. Well going by the trailers at least.

And it dosent really look like anything anyone else is doing in games. Modern Stylish Fantasy.

DaBuddaDa

When the only things ever mentioned concern graphics, cut scenes and hardware, you know there is still no game put together. Fall 2013.

Zoe

So do we have any idea if this is still PS3 exclusive?

I think I would be surprised if FFvs13 didn't come to 360/WiiU at this point considering how long development has been going on.

If it does, it won't be Nomura's team doing the porting.

Defuser

Besides DQX,what other big game left to prevent Versus from showing? No, XIV 2.0 doesn't count and I don't think KH 3D is big enough to affect.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Final Fantasy Versus XIII featuring in a Futurama episode soon?

Famassu

I don't think so. Versus is not a game where you hide something like that at the back end of a tournament stream for a B-tier game. I'm really sure they will want to have a playable unveil at E3 this year if they can. The only question is whether they're prepared for that. If they're not, it could indicate development is still troubled.
Yeah, didn't really mean that it would be shown at the end of, like, some Thearthythm demo event or anything, just that they'll perhaps have a similar lengthy demo of the game where they actually play the game for at least 10-15 minutes instead of just short snippets from here & there, showcasing different aspects of the game properly (exploration, battles, possible airships, driving around or riding a chocobo etc.). When they did that for Type-0 for the first time, it wasn't that far off from its initial aimed release date (it did get delayed after that, but they still showed the game being actually played for the first time quite late in its development cycle).

When the only things ever mentioned concern graphics, cut scenes and hardware, you know there is still no game put together. Fall 2013.
They already revealed sometime last Fall that they have the whole world of Versus in such a condition that Nomura could do a test-run through it. That would imply they at least have the environments in a decent shape, even if all of the content isn't there yet.

Rpgmonkey

Kingdom Hearts info sounds neat. The endings are always fun, even if they're totally crazy.

As for Versus...

Hahahahahahaha

Versus XIII news is non-news.

KH3D ending info is interesting at least
and we'll at least be playing that game this year

Seriously though, it's as if every time something is "revealed" about Vs.XIII I'm made to further believe the code for this game is sitting on a shelf and once a week the developers take it out to work on it. I cannot fathom how much money this is costing SE and how much they need to sell for it to even come close to being profitable. It's one of the reasons I ultimately picked up a PS3 and it seems more likely the game isn't coming out this console generation.

While Versus may not come out this year. Does anyone think they would do a simultaneous worldwide launch for Versus XIII? For some reason I think it would make the game an even bigger deal, which is something I feel Versus needs to be.

Famassu

Seriously though, it's as if every time something is "revealed" about Vs.XIII I'm made to further believe the code for this game is sitting on a shelf and once a week the developers take it out to work on it. I cannot fathom how much money this is costing SE and how much they need to sell for it to even come close to being profitable. It's one of the reasons I ultimately picked up a PS3 and it seems more likely the game isn't coming out this console generation.
They had a relatively small team working on it until last Summer or so (that's when they probably began the crunch period, based on Nomura's comments about them expanding the team around that time and starting "full development") and it's only been in actual development from some point in 2008, with a year after that gone to help finish FFXIII. It's not the most expensive game project in the world or anything, they just haven't rushed it and have made it much in the way Valve seems to do their games (experimenting & taking their time with really making it the way they want it to be, not the way time & budget constraints force it be)

matmanx1

Unfortunate about Versus XIII taking so long but if it turns out to be better than the recent Square Enix HD offerings then all will be (mostly) forgiven.

I stopped caring about Kingdom Hearts a long time ago but if DDD turns out to be a good entry then that's great for the fans.

SykoTech

Again, it sounds like the next time we see Versus XIII it'll be like what they did with Type-0 and its first lengthy gameplay demonstration. At that point Type-0 was only a few months away from release. If Nomura feels they are ready to do such gameplay demonstration about Versus XIII, that could say something about the state of the project.

That sounds good. Would be nice though if we had a clue of when that "lengthy gameplay demo" was going to be though.

When was the demo for Type-0 again?

The Lamp

- The scene where Noctus and Stella meet for the first time has been made into a pre-rendered scene. This is because it's an example of an area where adding player control would not have a big effect.

Oh sure let's just change our minds 5 years down the road to make a CG cutscene that's going to take even longer to make.

This team should be taken out of their development misery at this point.

royalan

Agreed.

Wow, S-E's console development has been such a big wad of fail this gen. I'm finding it hard to believe this game won't be a pile of dung by the time it's released; it seems to have gone through hell and back in its development. When a game has been put on the shelf multiple times so developers could work on other things I doubt the game we'll end up with will be a cohesive masterpiece.

Not to mention Nomura keeps trumpeting how this game will revolutionize the Final Fantasy series (Matsuno beat you to it with XII, buddy), and yet everything we learn about the game makes it sound like Final Fantasy VIII if Squall were wealthy.

Zoe

Oh sure let's just change our minds 5 years down the road to make a CG cutscene that's going to take even longer to make.

Except the CG team is separate from the general development team.

DaBuddaDa

Note to self: stop clicking on Versus FFXIII news threads. They are always depressing.

I'm on board with this too. The next Versus thread I am going to allow myself to click on is the one that's called: "Nomura announces official release date for FF XIII Versus."

While Versus may not come out this year. Does anyone think they would do a simultaneous worldwide launch for Versus XIII? For some reason I think it would make the game an even bigger deal, which is something I feel Versus needs to be.

Never going to happen. 2013 launch for JP, 2014 NA/EU.

Isn't CG easier to make? You don't have to worry about performance or coding since it's just a video file. That's why all early demonstrations are FMV or CG target renders.

I say if every scene should be full FMV with an option to skip. It's all non-interactive BS anyway so might as well have it look the absolute best it can and in full 1080p, no jaggies, perfect framerate, etc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
- Square Enix won't be holding an event ala last year's January press conference this year. However, Nomura said that he'd like to make some sort Versus related announcement/showing this year, although he can't say when or where.
My reading of this is that the game is at least two years away from release.

My reading of this is that the game is at least two years away from release.

I agree. This year at some point they will show another detailed look at the game like last January and that will be all for 2012. I think mid 2013 is when they start the serious hype campaign for Japan.

Lord Nomura-sama is doing it on purpose. He is depraving us and then in our moment of weakness he will put it in our hands and we can do with it what our heart and mind pleases. He is going for pure ecstasy.

jorgeton

At least you still believe it's coming out. Could be worse.
Could be The Last Guardian.

Hah!

Nomura's comments have me thinking this'll come out sooner rather than later (2013 at the latest). It'll be a nice way to wrap up this gen before the new consoles all roll in.

i would like to have the game on vita, so i can finally sell my ps3. there is nothing in current gen systems that can hold me anymore. hope this is not port-begging, just a general thought.

duckroll

You don't need 6+ years to make a great game. Even if you are located in Japan.

You don't need 4+ years to make a great game.

You don't need 2+ years to make a great game.

You don't need 6+ months to make a great game.

How long it takes to develop a game as a raw unit of time has no direct bearing whatsoever on a game's quality because different games have different development needs. Different developers have different management habits.

You can spend 6 years making a terrible game. You can spend 6 years making a great game. You can spend 6 years making a decent game. You can also replace the number in the last three statements with pretty much any other number and it would still be true.

If we're just talking about quality, that statement you made is meaningless.

Paracelsus

That's what I'm thinking. It's been so incredibly long, that I can't imagine the game satisfying anyone at this point. Might as well pack it up and move the assets over to next gen

If you want it for the next gen then forget the XIII part in the title.

EDIT:

Duckroll: when do you think Square is gonna start considering this game a moneysink?

Yeah they should announce the game for the next-generation of consoles that will have no userbase after spending so goddamn long on it!!!!

Top Bottom